From Hog House to Smokehouse, Nov. 5, Schaumburg

From Hog House to Smokehouse, Nov. 5, Schaumburg
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • From Hog House to Smokehouse, Nov. 5, Schaumburg

Post #1 - October 27th, 2006, 7:56 pm
    Post #1 - October 27th, 2006, 7:56 pm Post #1 - October 27th, 2006, 7:56 pm
    From Hog House to Smokehouse

Sunday, Nov. 5 • 12-4PM

Where does bacon come from? Come to the farm and find out. Help preserve food and meat for winter as they did in the 1880s. We’ll make sausage, smoke hams, and learn from other pork related activities. Admission: $1.50 per person

Spring Valley
    1111 E. Schaumburg Road
    Schaumburg, IL 60194
    847/985-2100
  • Post #2 - October 27th, 2006, 8:46 pm
    Post #2 - October 27th, 2006, 8:46 pm Post #2 - October 27th, 2006, 8:46 pm
    LAZ,

Not to put you on the spot (as you are just the messenger), but do you know if they will actually be slaughtering the hog that they will be processing or will they be curing the meat from primal cuts?

Just talked to the in-laws and they have friends who will be slaughtering and processing four hogs in October 2007 in NE Ohio. That sounds like a worth road trip.
  • Post #3 - October 28th, 2006, 8:48 am
    Post #3 - October 28th, 2006, 8:48 am Post #3 - October 28th, 2006, 8:48 am
    jlawrence01 wrote:LAZ,

Just talked to the in-laws and they have friends who will be slaughtering and processing four hogs in October 2007 in NE Ohio. That sounds like a worth road trip.

Here is a link to downloading a PowerPoint presentation (29 mb) of butchering a hog. The link is also available on my website. I've been visiting freinds in GA for about 6 years to butcher a hog. I'm amazed at how interested people become once they are there. Usually kids and wives you aren't interested but become interested once the process starts.
    Bruce
    Plenipotentiary
    bruce@bdbbq.com

Raw meat should NOT have an ingredients list!!
  • Post #4 - October 28th, 2006, 5:31 pm
    Post #4 - October 28th, 2006, 5:31 pm Post #4 - October 28th, 2006, 5:31 pm
    jlawrence01 wrote:Not to put you on the spot (as you are just the messenger), but do you know if they will actually be slaughtering the hog that they will be processing or will they be curing the meat from primal cuts?

They will be slaughtering the hog off-stage, as it were, but I was told the meat will come from a hog raised on the historic farm at Spring Valley. I understood that the demonstration will start with the whole hog.
  • Post #5 - October 28th, 2006, 8:17 pm
    Post #5 - October 28th, 2006, 8:17 pm Post #5 - October 28th, 2006, 8:17 pm
    Bruce,

Thanks for the links. I think that I have seen your pictures. And they are a blast.

Both my father's family and my in-laws have butchered pigs over the years ... but before I was around. As the people in my grandparents generation died off 25 years ago, the butchering stopped. But my wife talks about it ALL the time.

(In both cases, some of the farming regulations in Indiana and Ohio changed requiring separate lodging for the different animals away from the main barn. Since raising hogs was a hobby, it went away. In-laws raised dairy, father's cousins raised market veal.)
  • Post #6 - November 6th, 2006, 10:09 pm
    Post #6 - November 6th, 2006, 10:09 pm Post #6 - November 6th, 2006, 10:09 pm
    Did anybody go? I had intended to check it out and simply forgot!

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #7 - November 6th, 2006, 10:50 pm
    Post #7 - November 6th, 2006, 10:50 pm Post #7 - November 6th, 2006, 10:50 pm
    I went and I really enjoyed myself,

There were apporximately SIX stations:

1) Butcgering station - three guys were butchering the fully dressed hog into primal cuts (bacon, shoulders, hams, etc.). These giys knew what they were doing and could easily process 6-8 hogs a day the old-fashioned ways.

2) Rendering station - boiling the fat into lard, cracklins, and pork rinds.

3) Chitterlings station - one poor lady was assigned the task of cleaning the chitterlings for sausage casings. She was doing a really good job - I mean that they looked almost edible (g).

4) Smokehouse - they took the primal cuts and they were curing and smoking the primal cuts. The lady did a good job of explaining the process but she would have had more credibility had she NOT told people that she would not eat the meat ...

5) Kitchen station - there were four ladies who were cooking up a storm. One was pounding the tenderloin into schnitzel. Another was making sausage patties. Another stuffing sausage into the casings. They were getting ready to make braunschweiger out of the pork liver.

6) Panhaus station - this was the area that I was most interested. Basically, one of the processes that I was most interested was one that my wife was responsible when her family was butchering hogs - the making of the panhaus (think scrapple). Basically, you boil all the meat off the bones, chop or shred it and mix it with a grain. The Amish generally mix the pork scraps with cornmeal to make scrapple. My family in Cincinnati and Sothern Indiana used pinhead oats to make goetta.

At this event, the lady was mixing the head and tongue meat with buckwheat meal to make the panhaus.. For those unfamiliar, you cook the meat off the bones and mix it with the grain, and place it in loaf pans. Eventually, the mixture will tighten up like polenta. You slice it and fry it in a pan.

It is important to realize that in most farm families, the panhaus or goetta or scrapple is only made at butchering time ( November or December), is stored outside in the cold weather, and is served almost everyday until it is used up. Now it is a treat to me. In the past, the seventh or eighth straight day, well, you get tired of it.

The lady making the panhaus was from the same German town in Southern Indiana that my great-grandparents were from early in the last century. I think that I shocked her when I could describe the town of Sunman that she had grown up in.

I have to say that I was very impressed with the knowledge that the people had on the subject matter. Thanks to the Schaumburg Park District.

There were a lot of kids there watching. To me, it seemed like more of the adults were squeamish that the kids. My only regret is that you really couldn't participate.

I left about 2 pm and headed over to Udupi Palace for their Sunday lunch buffet,
  • Post #8 - November 6th, 2006, 11:00 pm
    Post #8 - November 6th, 2006, 11:00 pm Post #8 - November 6th, 2006, 11:00 pm
    HI,

Now I am really sad I didn't go, though I will keep an eye out for next year. Is this an annual event?

All the food they were processing, were they selling meals or offering tastings?

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more