LTH Home

How to avoid post-lunch coma?

How to avoid post-lunch coma?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • How to avoid post-lunch coma?

Post #1 - July 22nd, 2004, 2:29 pm
    Post #1 - July 22nd, 2004, 2:29 pm Post #1 - July 22nd, 2004, 2:29 pm
    I often bring my own lunch to work and eat in my cube - not b/c I have to work through lunch, but b/c I carpool so I am without a car during lunch hour. Working in the suburbs doesn't exactly put me within walking distance of very much so I am therefore, confined.

Sometimes I suffer from post-lunch coma - which is especially embarassing if I have a meeting. (I don't drink coffee.) I control my portion size and have a small appetite, so I don't think that overeating is a factor. Any advice for what I should be eating for an afternoon energy boost rather than a slump? I would really appreciate it!
  • Post #2 - July 22nd, 2004, 2:52 pm
    Post #2 - July 22nd, 2004, 2:52 pm Post #2 - July 22nd, 2004, 2:52 pm
    If you have time I would suggest a brisk walk 10 minute walk after eating.
    Bruce
    Plenipotentiary
    bruce@bdbbq.com

Raw meat should NOT have an ingredients list!!
  • Post #3 - July 22nd, 2004, 3:11 pm
    Post #3 - July 22nd, 2004, 3:11 pm Post #3 - July 22nd, 2004, 3:11 pm
    I don't want to go all Atkins on you, but I've found that even moderate portions of rice, pasta, white bread or other starches can put me under after lunch.

If you need to stay alert, stick to proteins and veggies and stay away from caffeine. Caffeine with your meal will increase the post-lunch coma when it wears off.

Also, not to sound too paranoid, but if this is an everyday problem, have your blood sugar checked by your doctor. It can be a sign of a pre-diabetec condition.
  • Post #4 - July 22nd, 2004, 4:28 pm
    Post #4 - July 22nd, 2004, 4:28 pm Post #4 - July 22nd, 2004, 4:28 pm
    I am also very hesitant to endorse too much of the Atkins cult, but I have recently made some, ahem, dietary changes which are similar in some respects. And here is observation #1: I don't know if it's not drinking pop, or it's not eating French fries at lunch (I do have rice quite a bit), but... I suddenly have this all day energy I didn't have before, because I don't have a sugar rush and the consequent crash. It's quite amazing, makes you realize I was basically drugging myself all this time.

I haven't changed coffee intake but if I'm coming down from it it's barely noticeable compared to the wall that I used to hit a few hours after a pop around lunch.
  • Post #5 - July 23rd, 2004, 8:31 am
    Post #5 - July 23rd, 2004, 8:31 am Post #5 - July 23rd, 2004, 8:31 am
    Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions. There is a history of diabetes in my family, and I have had my blood sugar checked earlier this year. Thankfully, I am still in the safe range, but I've been trying to work out more regularly and eat better (boohoo).

I'm not a fan of the Atkins craze, but I have reduced some of my carb intake. I think I might start keeping a food diary to track the after effects.
  • Post #6 - July 23rd, 2004, 8:35 am
    Post #6 - July 23rd, 2004, 8:35 am Post #6 - July 23rd, 2004, 8:35 am
    Although I have very little medical credentials (only in certain states, and those not even part of this country), i would heavily endorse the no-pop routine. I can't think of something more corrosive to put into one's body on a more regular basis than pop. (this is food-wise, mind you)
    Of course, if your beverage of choice remains a liquor and pop concoction, I would advocate putting the pop in the glass first, then the liquor, in order that you may, by this method, actually be making a drink better, wherewith by adding pop to liquor, you are in fact making a perfectly good drink worse.
  • Post #7 - July 23rd, 2004, 8:45 am
    Post #7 - July 23rd, 2004, 8:45 am Post #7 - July 23rd, 2004, 8:45 am
    I have given up drinking pop on a regular basis. I only allow myself to drink pop as a treat or if I'm eating something that is complimented by pop - making it maybe 1-2x a week.

My drink of choice is water. I drink juice daily but dilute it a bit with water. I don't drink alcohol of any sorts b/c I have absolutely zero tolerance and get all red in my face. :oops:

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more