LTH Home

What are you listening to right now?

What are you listening to right now?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 26
  • What are you listening to right now?

    Post #1 - February 2nd, 2006, 10:54 am
    Post #1 - February 2nd, 2006, 10:54 am Post #1 - February 2nd, 2006, 10:54 am
    Bobby "Blue" Bland

    When I eat Mexican food, I think, god I love Mexican food, it's my favorite kind food in the world. Then, I eat Indian/Pakistani food, and I'm like boy Indian/Pakistani food is my favorite. (Etc., etc.)

    Until I can wretch Bobby Blue off my CD player, I believe I like no singer better. I especially love his drum forward arrangements as well.

    Rob
  • Post #2 - February 2nd, 2006, 11:14 am
    Post #2 - February 2nd, 2006, 11:14 am Post #2 - February 2nd, 2006, 11:14 am
    Gotta go with Dave Frishberg. " ... I got Sweet Kentucky Ham on my mind, on my mind ..."
  • Post #3 - February 2nd, 2006, 11:27 am
    Post #3 - February 2nd, 2006, 11:27 am Post #3 - February 2nd, 2006, 11:27 am
    Dancehall Grind-Bathtub Shitter

    http://www.bathtubshitter.com/news-english.htm
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie
  • Post #4 - February 2nd, 2006, 11:44 am
    Post #4 - February 2nd, 2006, 11:44 am Post #4 - February 2nd, 2006, 11:44 am
    Superargo - Superargo

    Actually I was first listening to a parody of "wait (the whisper song)" done by the lonely island guys. Neither the whisper song, nor the parody, are very safe for most jobs or young ears, though.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

    RIP LTH.
  • Post #5 - February 2nd, 2006, 1:03 pm
    Post #5 - February 2nd, 2006, 1:03 pm Post #5 - February 2nd, 2006, 1:03 pm
    My in-car CD is now Petra Haden's acapella version of the 60's album "The Who Sell Out." She does the whole thing with her voice. There is no instrumentation on this CD -- she sings the lyrics AND makes all the sounds of the musical instruments. It puts me in an odd(er) state of mind, which I like.

    Image
    “Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?”
  • Post #6 - February 2nd, 2006, 1:18 pm
    Post #6 - February 2nd, 2006, 1:18 pm Post #6 - February 2nd, 2006, 1:18 pm
    Oh...I've been wondering how that is: I used love That Dog. Petra Haden solo is hit or miss, but that album looks interesting.
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie
  • Post #7 - February 2nd, 2006, 1:19 pm
    Post #7 - February 2nd, 2006, 1:19 pm Post #7 - February 2nd, 2006, 1:19 pm
    Although it's disappointing that she doesn't do Keith Moon's drum part in "I Can See For Miles," which is pretty much the only thing justifying the existence of the drum in human history.

    My kids love listening to that song (since it's named for one of them) and choose between The Who and Petra Haden on the iPod by asking for "the boy Myles song" or "the girl Myles song."
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #8 - February 2nd, 2006, 1:49 pm
    Post #8 - February 2nd, 2006, 1:49 pm Post #8 - February 2nd, 2006, 1:49 pm
    Mike G wrote:Although it's disappointing that she doesn't do Keith Moon's drum part in "I Can See For Miles," which is pretty much the only thing justifying the existence of the drum in human history.


    I think she actually does do some drums, though I may be mistaken: it sometimes hard to distinguish her voice doing drums and her voice doing bass. I believe the reason this voice-only version works (when it works, which is sporadically) is that the Who were all rhythm section: drums, bass, rhythm guitar, no lead, so it's possible to simulate the sound somewhat more readily than a classic album by, say, Hendrix or Cream.

    "I Can See for Miles" is probably the best executed and most regularly listen-able cut on the Who's and Hagen's versions.

    Hammond
    “Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?”
  • Post #9 - February 2nd, 2006, 3:33 pm
    Post #9 - February 2nd, 2006, 3:33 pm Post #9 - February 2nd, 2006, 3:33 pm
    Morton Feldman's Routine Investigations ( a piece for oboe, trumpet, piano, cello, and double bass), performed by ensemble recherche.

    Hardly a day goes by that I do not eat rice.

    And, there are fewer days still that I do not listen to some piece(s) by Morton Feldman.

    It has been that way for years.

    E.M.
  • Post #10 - February 2nd, 2006, 4:24 pm
    Post #10 - February 2nd, 2006, 4:24 pm Post #10 - February 2nd, 2006, 4:24 pm
    and now I'm listening to:

    http://www.sublimefrequencies.com/item. ... heast-Asia

    I'm only "allowed" to listen to it sans company; the high frequency headfone leakage makes some people sick. I, on the other hand, find the treble drones by turns exhilarating and soothing.

    Actually, http://www.sublimefrequencies.com/, seems like it would appeal to a certain breed of LTHforum-ist. The label started by some Sun City Girls several years back offers a cornucopia of radio-jamming, field recordings, and hybrid SE Asian/Western pop.
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie
  • Post #11 - February 2nd, 2006, 4:50 pm
    Post #11 - February 2nd, 2006, 4:50 pm Post #11 - February 2nd, 2006, 4:50 pm
    I'm listening to the co-worker in the next cubicle talk about Clay Aiken. This moring I was happily listening to:

    Mission of Burma - ONoffON (Matador)
    Richard Buckner - Impasse (Overcoat)
  • Post #12 - February 2nd, 2006, 4:59 pm
    Post #12 - February 2nd, 2006, 4:59 pm Post #12 - February 2nd, 2006, 4:59 pm
    XM radio ch 95 Latin Jazz- Jobim..Tjader...Puente...currently "All the things you are" by the estrada brothers
  • Post #13 - February 2nd, 2006, 5:10 pm
    Post #13 - February 2nd, 2006, 5:10 pm Post #13 - February 2nd, 2006, 5:10 pm
    In the morning, KFI-AM 640 Los Angeles - Bill Handel
    Midday, WSB-AM Atlanta - Clark Howard.
    Evening/Late night - I-Tunes - AM1710 Antioch, IL - Old Time radio
  • Post #14 - February 2nd, 2006, 6:11 pm
    Post #14 - February 2nd, 2006, 6:11 pm Post #14 - February 2nd, 2006, 6:11 pm
    Minus Story - "No Rest for Ghosts"

    http://www.lawrence.com/news/2005/oct/0 ... st_ghosts/
  • Post #15 - February 2nd, 2006, 6:14 pm
    Post #15 - February 2nd, 2006, 6:14 pm Post #15 - February 2nd, 2006, 6:14 pm
    Gustav Mahler: Symphony #6
    Pierre Boulez
    Vienna Philharmonic

    :twisted:
  • Post #16 - February 2nd, 2006, 6:19 pm
    Post #16 - February 2nd, 2006, 6:19 pm Post #16 - February 2nd, 2006, 6:19 pm
    Currently on my headphones is Tom Waits doing "Innocent when you Dream".

    In my car I have Shooter Jenning's "Let's Put the O Back in Country".
  • Post #17 - February 2nd, 2006, 6:23 pm
    Post #17 - February 2nd, 2006, 6:23 pm Post #17 - February 2nd, 2006, 6:23 pm
    Johnny Paycheck's "When you're tired of breaking their hearts." (Sample here.) Before that, Lefty's Frizzell's "From an angel to a devil" (sample.)

    (How is that Shooter record?)
    Last edited by kl5 on February 2nd, 2006, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #18 - February 2nd, 2006, 6:23 pm
    Post #18 - February 2nd, 2006, 6:23 pm Post #18 - February 2nd, 2006, 6:23 pm
    Erzsi wrote:Currently on my headphones is Tom Waits doing "Innocent when you Dream".


    That tune was put to excellent advantage over the closing credits of the movie "Smoke."

    I remember seeing Waits years ago at the Park West -- he did the final two or three numbers standing as though crucified between a pair of Sunoco gas pumps. Later, he sat in the bar in back and talked to anyone who cared to join him.

    Hammond
    “Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?”
  • Post #19 - February 2nd, 2006, 7:01 pm
    Post #19 - February 2nd, 2006, 7:01 pm Post #19 - February 2nd, 2006, 7:01 pm
    David Hammond wrote:
    Erzsi wrote:Currently on my headphones is Tom Waits doing "Innocent when you Dream".


    That tune was put to excellent advantage over the closing credits of the movie "Smoke."

    I remember seeing Waits years ago at the Park West -- he did the final two or three numbers standing as though crucified between a pair of Sunoco gas pumps. Later, he sat in the bar in back and talked to anyone who cared to join him.

    Hammond


    Smoke is a great movie which I think got seriously overlooked the year that it came out. I like seeing Tom Waits live. I think he puts on a really great show. I've heard that he was a very approachable person it having a drink with Tom Waits is definately something that you'd never forget. Or at least I'd imagine it would be.
  • Post #20 - February 2nd, 2006, 7:08 pm
    Post #20 - February 2nd, 2006, 7:08 pm Post #20 - February 2nd, 2006, 7:08 pm
    kl5 wrote:Johnny Paycheck's "When you're tired of breaking their hearts." (Sample here.) Before that, Lefty's Frizzell's "From an angel to a devil" (sample.)

    (How is that Shooter record?)


    First I'd like to say Lefty Frizzell does my favorite version of "Long Black Veil" I think my #2 would be the Band's version.

    Secondly, the Shooter record is excellent. I think that anytime someone has to live up to being the kid of two famous people it's got to be tough to do. I know the track that was getting the most radio play was "4th of July" which is pretty solid. It's definately got that sort of Southern Rock feel to it although it's not quite as well done as say someone like Gram Parsons would be able to pull off. The song that he did that's on the "Walk the Line" soundtrack is pretty decent as well.
  • Post #21 - February 2nd, 2006, 8:35 pm
    Post #21 - February 2nd, 2006, 8:35 pm Post #21 - February 2nd, 2006, 8:35 pm
    Erik M. wrote:Morton Feldman's Routine Investigations ( a piece for oboe, trumpet, piano, cello, and double bass), performed by ensemble recherche.

    Hardly a day goes by that I do not eat rice.

    And, there are fewer days still that I do not listen to some piece(s) by Morton Feldman.

    It has been that way for years.

    E.M.


    I've tried and failed to get in tune with Morton Feldman; but I want to get him. I have a couple of "played once" Feldman recordings in my collection (e.g., "For Samuel Beckett" performed by Klangforum Wien on Kairos). Erik, where do you think I should start to develop my taste?
    JiLS
  • Post #22 - February 2nd, 2006, 8:46 pm
    Post #22 - February 2nd, 2006, 8:46 pm Post #22 - February 2nd, 2006, 8:46 pm
    Christopher Gordon wrote:Actually, http://www.sublimefrequencies.com/, seems like it would appeal to a certain breed of LTHforum-ist. The label started by some Sun City Girls several years back offers a cornucopia of radio-jamming, field recordings, and hybrid SE Asian/Western pop.


    It seems every time the topic of music comes up, Mr Gordon throws in a great suggestion. Evil Clown (Lincoln & Montrose) carries a lot of the Sublime Frequencies titles, which is good because you can sample them first. I have one of the Burma collections, and I love it, but it is an acquired taste.

    And as for what I'm listening to--well I'm a narcissist, and I just wrote and recorded this song. Feel free to tell me it sucks...
  • Post #23 - February 2nd, 2006, 8:50 pm
    Post #23 - February 2nd, 2006, 8:50 pm Post #23 - February 2nd, 2006, 8:50 pm
    In the spirit of Marshall McLuhan, I'll point out that the most important feature in my listening enjoyment lately has been the acquisition of a subscription to Rhapsody and the purchase and installation of a Roku Soundbridge digital receiver on my stereo, which allows me to use my laptop as a server for both downloaded music and streaming "internet radio stations" galore. Yes, Rhapsody has its issues (mostly related to copyright -- there will be albums where some but not all the songs can be downloaded, or entire albums that have to be bought at a premium above the (low) monthly charge). But as someone who owns enough CDs that they are literally clutter around the house, the ability to listen to CD-quality music, on command, without the purchase of a physical object - well, the money savings are only half the bargain.

    That said, right now I'm listening to Louis Armstrong's Hot 5's and 7's, probably the greatest artistic product ever to come from Chicago and without question my "desert island" picks (in fact, if I had to live forever, and could only have one musical piece to listen to throughout, I'm sure "West End Blues" would be my pick. That or the Tallis Scholars' recording of the Allegri "Miserere." Glad I don't have to make such decisions...)
    JiLS
  • Post #24 - February 2nd, 2006, 9:17 pm
    Post #24 - February 2nd, 2006, 9:17 pm Post #24 - February 2nd, 2006, 9:17 pm
    tapler wrote:And as for what I'm listening to--well I'm a narcissist, and I just wrote and recorded this song. Feel free to tell me it sucks...


    Not only does this not suck, it's really great listening, fun and smart ... reminds me of Blossom Dearie, both the vocal tone and the smart sophistication of the lyrics. Got any others?
    JiLS
  • Post #25 - February 2nd, 2006, 9:31 pm
    Post #25 - February 2nd, 2006, 9:31 pm Post #25 - February 2nd, 2006, 9:31 pm
    Currently listening to ReR Megacorp's reissue of This Heat's self-titled release -- huzzah, saved me from spending a small fortune on eBay for it. Also enjoying reissue of Flower Travellin' Band's Satori from 1971 (WEA Japan).

    Not while I'm eating, though.
    CONNOISSEUR, n. A specialist who knows everything about something and nothing about anything else.
    -Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

    www.cakeandcommerce.com
  • Post #26 - February 2nd, 2006, 9:51 pm
    Post #26 - February 2nd, 2006, 9:51 pm Post #26 - February 2nd, 2006, 9:51 pm
    JimInLoganSquare wrote:Not only does this not suck, it's really great listening, fun and smart ... reminds me of Blossom Dearie, both the vocal tone and the smart sophistication of the lyrics. Got any others?


    Wow, thank you! I just started working with the singer a couple months ago and I think she is phenomenally good. Thanks for the Blossom Dearie comparison; she is one of my all-time favorites. Saw her at Toulouse a few years back.

    We've only recorded five songs together; here are a couple more you might like: Hypothetical Face and Liquid.
  • Post #27 - February 2nd, 2006, 9:56 pm
    Post #27 - February 2nd, 2006, 9:56 pm Post #27 - February 2nd, 2006, 9:56 pm
    tapler wrote:Saw her at Toulouse a few years back.


    Blossom Dearie is always worth a look; but how did she sound? 8) Seriously, I have on my short list catching her gig in NYC. Maybe this year???
    JiLS
  • Post #28 - February 2nd, 2006, 10:13 pm
    Post #28 - February 2nd, 2006, 10:13 pm Post #28 - February 2nd, 2006, 10:13 pm
    If there are downloaders out there, please look at my online musicstore at www.burnloungechicago.com. It s in it's infancy right now and is , admittedly, kind of clunky. The concept is that for every purchase you make as a burnlounge member, you can earn cash and or points for merchandise by buying through the site.

    I myself have been tapping my toe to some new John Hiatt of late.
  • Post #29 - February 2nd, 2006, 10:17 pm
    Post #29 - February 2nd, 2006, 10:17 pm Post #29 - February 2nd, 2006, 10:17 pm
    Queijo wrote:Currently listening to ReR Megacorp's reissue of This Heat's self-titled release -- huzzah, saved me from spending a small fortune on eBay for it. Also enjoying reissue of Flower Travellin' Band's Satori from 1971 (WEA Japan).

    Not while I'm eating, though.


    um...of course LTH-istas have great taste in music, right? Just a few observations: the surviving members of This Heat have formed a new label specifically to distribute their seminal recordings(huzzah for me cuz I've only ever gotten my hands on bits here and there).

    "Innocent When You Dream"-my intro to Waits way back when and still an impossible, gloaming, bleary favorite.

    Evil Clown has a really great selection if rather expensive. I kind of like the surliness of the staff compared to that of Milwaukee's Reckless. Caveat Emptor: I haven't patronized the new location. Good to know they carry Sublime Frequencies recordings...snippets of which are also available at aquariusrecords.org

    Lefty Frizzell!

    Blossom Dearie!!

    LTH, you make me smile :)

    lest we forget: Feldman's For Bunita Marcus is great iPod sound when waiting for the 151 in early Spring gazing thru the still-denuded branches of trees framing a recalcitrant, steely Lake Michigan.
    Last edited by Christopher Gordon on February 2nd, 2006, 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie
  • Post #30 - February 2nd, 2006, 10:26 pm
    Post #30 - February 2nd, 2006, 10:26 pm Post #30 - February 2nd, 2006, 10:26 pm
    tapler wrote:
    JimInLoganSquare wrote:Not only does this not suck, it's really great listening, fun and smart ... reminds me of Blossom Dearie, both the vocal tone and the smart sophistication of the lyrics. Got any others?


    Wow, thank you! I just started working with the singer a couple months ago and I think she is phenomenally good. Thanks for the Blossom Dearie comparison; she is one of my all-time favorites. Saw her at Toulouse a few years back.

    We've only recorded five songs together; here are a couple more you might like: Hypothetical Face and Liquid.


    I quite enjoyed yr link. Blossom Dearie's a great nod as is Inara George.
    Ever play out?
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more