LTH Home

Anybody see Flynn McGarry on Nightline?

Anybody see Flynn McGarry on Nightline?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Anybody see Flynn McGarry on Nightline?

Post #1 - August 8th, 2018, 11:33 pm
    Post #1 - August 8th, 2018, 11:33 pm Post #1 - August 8th, 2018, 11:33 pm
    Hi- They had a segment about the wonder kid Flynn McGarry. He is only 19 and is a self trained chef, and has a restaurant in NYC called Gem which just received a two star review in the New York Times. He charges $155 for his tasting menu. He first got interested in cooking when he was 10. Apparently he was doing meals at his parents house in California when he was 13 and charging for them. He then moved to NYC and had a few pop up restaurants when he was 16, and has worked in some high class restaurants. I hope he does not get burned out. He is working 7 days a week. Here is the review in the NYT.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/07/dini ... garry.html
  • Post #2 - August 9th, 2018, 11:23 am
    Post #2 - August 9th, 2018, 11:23 am Post #2 - August 9th, 2018, 11:23 am
    I forgot to mention that there is a documentary about him coming out in November called Chef Flynn. Apparently he took an interest in cooking at the age of 10, because his parents were doing a lot of takeout, and were not into cooking at all. He worked his way through the French Laundry cookbook, and discovered he loved to cook. His parents put a working kitchen in his bedroom so he could practice, and they started homeschooling him at the age of 11 so he would have more time to perfect his cooking skills. He finished high school at the age of 16 and moved to NYC where he started a popup restaurant. He opened up his current restaurant in February. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #3 - August 12th, 2018, 8:55 pm
    Post #3 - August 12th, 2018, 8:55 pm Post #3 - August 12th, 2018, 8:55 pm
    NFriday wrote:His parents put a working kitchen in his bedroom so he could practice

I find that statement rather surprising. Why wouldn't he use the family kitchen or did they have one?

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #4 - August 12th, 2018, 9:52 pm
    Post #4 - August 12th, 2018, 9:52 pm Post #4 - August 12th, 2018, 9:52 pm
    Hi- Apparently his family did a lot of take out, which he got tired of, and so he decided to learn how to cook. The documentary is coming out in November, and I am sure that subject will come up in it. There are people wondering where he came up with the money to open the restaurant, and there are some chefs who feel that he hasn't paid his dues yet. He never went to cooking school, and he already owns his own restaurant, and he is only 19. I had never heard of him until I saw the segment on Nightline about him last week.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more