LTH Home

Micro food pantries?

Micro food pantries?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Micro food pantries?

Post #1 - April 18th, 2018, 10:25 am
    Post #1 - April 18th, 2018, 10:25 am Post #1 - April 18th, 2018, 10:25 am
    Hi- I sing with a group on Tuesday evenings that rehearses at Trinity Lutheran Church on Golf across the street from the Presbyterian Home a few blacks East of Crawford. The high school group at the church has started a micro food pantry. This is similar to those small libraries that you see in somebody's front lawn where you can leave books you no longer need. You leave nonperishable food items you don't need, and take any that you see that you can use. They started this maybe a month ago, and so far I have seen ramen noodles, cans of healthy choice soup, apple sauce, lots of pasta and lots of cans of beans, and some other assorted things. Last night I donated one of the packages of gravy mix I got for free at Jewel, and I noticed there were already two packages of it in the pantry, and so please no more gravy mix. They are trying to help people who can't afford food, and there is a lot of traffic on Golf every day, but there is next to no pedestrian traffic, and most people do not know about it. They are also accepting donations of paper products and diapers. Here is a link for more info about the project.

http://mapping.littlefreepantry.org/pantry/267

Apparently there are some other ones in the Chicago area. Has anybody seen another one? Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #2 - April 18th, 2018, 10:34 am
    Post #2 - April 18th, 2018, 10:34 am Post #2 - April 18th, 2018, 10:34 am
    This caught my attention when you mentioned it the other day, Nancy. Thanks for posting more information about it.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #3 - April 18th, 2018, 1:17 pm
    Post #3 - April 18th, 2018, 1:17 pm Post #3 - April 18th, 2018, 1:17 pm
    I have read of high schools and colleges offering these too for students and their families who need assistance. One school had their pantry in a private room where a student could "shop" away from prying eyes, to lend some dignity to their situation.
  • Post #4 - April 18th, 2018, 2:27 pm
    Post #4 - April 18th, 2018, 2:27 pm Post #4 - April 18th, 2018, 2:27 pm
    There is one in Lincoln Square, but at the moment, I can't remember which church or which block. It's a great idea.
  • Post #5 - April 18th, 2018, 5:50 pm
    Post #5 - April 18th, 2018, 5:50 pm Post #5 - April 18th, 2018, 5:50 pm
    I clicked on the link that I posted, and looked to see if there were any other ones besides Trinity's in the Chicago area, and the only other one that is on the map is in Blue Island. I had never heard of this before Trinity put up theirs. I am just trying to get the word out so people know it is available, and people that need to avail themselves of the food can. Apparently sometimes these are referred to as blessing boxes too.
  • Post #6 - April 28th, 2018, 1:08 am
    Post #6 - April 28th, 2018, 1:08 am Post #6 - April 28th, 2018, 1:08 am
    Here is the article I mentioned: http://mentalfloss.com/article/71578/hi ... ecessities
  • Post #7 - May 1st, 2018, 5:32 am
    Post #7 - May 1st, 2018, 5:32 am Post #7 - May 1st, 2018, 5:32 am
    knitgirl wrote:There is one in Lincoln Square, but at the moment, I can't remember which church or which block. It's a great idea.

Its on Giddings on the northwest corner with Leavitt at the United Methodist church. They call theirs "Little Free Pantry".

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more