LTH Home

Why We Like Not-So-Great Food

Why We Like Not-So-Great Food
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - December 20th, 2017, 1:21 pm
    Post #31 - December 20th, 2017, 1:21 pm Post #31 - December 20th, 2017, 1:21 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    David Hammond wrote:Knitgirl, how do you feel about canned asparagus?

My wife is a fan of canned green beans. She ate them as a kid and unlike a lot of things from her childhood that she didn't like and doesn't remember fondly, for whatever reason, these still scratch an itch for her.

=R=

The only asparagus we had as kids was in a can. Having it fresh was a revelation. I'd like to meet the person who enjoys those mealy, pale, limp spears...and that person has to be out there.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #32 - December 20th, 2017, 1:22 pm
    Post #32 - December 20th, 2017, 1:22 pm Post #32 - December 20th, 2017, 1:22 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:ilovecannedbuttonmushrooms--THERE, I said it!

I don't know if I'd go quite so far, but whenever I go to Villa Nova for a pizza, where they give you a choice of fresh or canned, I prefer the canned.

No on the canned asparagus and green beans, though, for me. (Though I prefer my green beans slow cooked for hours vs quickly cooked. Unless they're grilled or fried until they're deeply blistered and get rid of that "green" taste.)
  • Post #33 - December 20th, 2017, 1:52 pm
    Post #33 - December 20th, 2017, 1:52 pm Post #33 - December 20th, 2017, 1:52 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

My wife is a fan of canned green beans. She ate them as a kid and unlike a lot of things from her childhood that she didn't like and doesn't remember fondly, for whatever reason, these still scratch an itch for her.

=R=

ilovecannedbuttonmushrooms--THERE, I said it!

Especially this time of year, decent quality fresh green beans aren't plentiful, so we've been partial to the Del Monte canned Italian green beans, low sodium if we can find them. Good stuff.

Also, boudreaulicious...for my homemade special tuna noodle casserole (my adult daughters crave it), I use jarred mushroom slices. Perfect texture & flavor for that purpose.
  • Post #34 - December 20th, 2017, 3:30 pm
    Post #34 - December 20th, 2017, 3:30 pm Post #34 - December 20th, 2017, 3:30 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    knitgirl wrote:Every once in a while, I'll spot them walking down the aisle . . .

Now, those are some talented peas! :lol:

=R=

I'll spot them while *I'm* walking down the aisle...
  • Post #35 - December 20th, 2017, 3:31 pm
    Post #35 - December 20th, 2017, 3:31 pm Post #35 - December 20th, 2017, 3:31 pm

Ron, hilarious.

HELL no! :lol:
  • Post #36 - December 20th, 2017, 3:52 pm
    Post #36 - December 20th, 2017, 3:52 pm Post #36 - December 20th, 2017, 3:52 pm
    David Hammond wrote:The only asparagus we had as kids was in a can. Having it fresh was a revelation. I'd like to meet the person who enjoys those mealy, pale, limp spears...and that person has to be out there.

Likewise. Though we didn't eat it as a vegetable. It was something mom mashed up with Ranch dressing and poured over salad -- or heated and blended it into soup (especially when she was on Weight Watchers). I haven't had it in years, but my mind tells me I'd still probably like the taste I remember. But then sometimes I'm surprised and something much loved from the past and rediscovered turns out to be inedible. But if the texture is the primary argument against it, I never really experienced that. It was an ingredient, not a side dish.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #37 - December 31st, 2017, 4:50 pm
    Post #37 - December 31st, 2017, 4:50 pm Post #37 - December 31st, 2017, 4:50 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    knitgirl wrote:Every once in a while, I'll spot them walking down the aisle . . .

Now, those are some talented peas! :lol:

=R=

They were carefully taut.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #38 - January 2nd, 2018, 2:19 pm
    Post #38 - January 2nd, 2018, 2:19 pm Post #38 - January 2nd, 2018, 2:19 pm
    Binko wrote:
    boudreaulicious wrote:ilovecannedbuttonmushrooms--THERE, I said it!

I don't know if I'd go quite so far, but whenever I go to Villa Nova for a pizza, where they give you a choice of fresh or canned, I prefer the canned.

No on the canned asparagus and green beans, though, for me. (Though I prefer my green beans slow cooked for hours vs quickly cooked. Unless they're grilled or fried until they're deeply blistered and get rid of that "green" taste.)

interesting....if a restaurant puts either canned mushroom or uncooked mushrooms on a pizza, that's it for them, i'll never go back. canned mushrooms, like them or not, are not related taste-wise to fresh and a mushroom not sauteed first, doesn't belong anywhere except a salad.
  • Post #39 - January 2nd, 2018, 4:43 pm
    Post #39 - January 2nd, 2018, 4:43 pm Post #39 - January 2nd, 2018, 4:43 pm
    justjoan wrote:if a restaurant puts either canned mushroom or uncooked mushrooms on a pizza, that's it for them, i'll never go back. canned mushrooms, like them or not, are not related taste-wise to fresh and a mushroom not sauteed first, doesn't belong anywhere except a salad.

Totally agree on the canned, that's a doomsday bomb-shelter option, at best. Raw on a pizza are seldom raw once the pizza is done baking. I can't recall the last time I ordered a pizza with mushrooms (which tends to be my standard order) where they sauteed them first.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more