LTH Home

Our Guy in Phoenix: Dom gets some nice ink!

Our Guy in Phoenix: Dom gets some nice ink!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Our Guy in Phoenix: Dom gets some nice ink!

Post #1 - November 12th, 2017, 1:47 pm
    Post #1 - November 12th, 2017, 1:47 pm Post #1 - November 12th, 2017, 1:47 pm
    Nice story on Dom!

Geo

https://www.facebook.com/azcentral/vide ... 7517392840
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #2 - February 16th, 2023, 9:31 pm
    Post #2 - February 16th, 2023, 9:31 pm Post #2 - February 16th, 2023, 9:31 pm
    A Warm Welcome: Food Critic Dominic Armato Joins Phoenix New Times
    What makes the Phoenix food scene special?
    What makes it special are the incredibly unique foodways we have here in the Southwest — the unusual ingredients, the atypical growing seasons, the influence of indigenous foods, and the culture of Mexico, past and present. And while folks rightly poke fun at Phoenix for being a magnet city where almost everybody is from somewhere else, the resulting mix makes for a combination of tribes who cling fiercely to their hometown foods, and an unusual amount of cross-pollination between culinary traditions that don’t always have the chance to meet.

What makes it quirky is how the climate effectively turns a major metropolitan city into a seasonal resort town. How its residents aspire to live in a sophisticated, diverse dining scene, but never quite shake their meat and potatoes sensibilities. And how the public’s demand for better, more wholesome food collides with its desire for dinner to be cheap.

What makes it exciting is how the abundance of talented, creative food folks that call Phoenix home work their tails off to make great things happen in such an unusual and often difficult environment.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #3 - February 18th, 2023, 10:36 pm
    Post #3 - February 18th, 2023, 10:36 pm Post #3 - February 18th, 2023, 10:36 pm
    That is great. I really miss his writing a lot since he left the Arizona Republic.
  • Post #4 - April 3rd, 2023, 5:06 am
    Post #4 - April 3rd, 2023, 5:06 am Post #4 - April 3rd, 2023, 5:06 am
    Ditto.

I just miss him generally: in person, in posting, in writing. You name it: our loss, Phoenix's gain. Still.
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #5 - April 3rd, 2023, 7:24 am
    Post #5 - April 3rd, 2023, 7:24 am Post #5 - April 3rd, 2023, 7:24 am
    My sister lives in Mesa. A couple of times when visiting her I've gotten in touch with Dom, and gone out with him. Always a delight--he's such a gracious, generous guy. We lost a good one here on LTH...

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #6 - April 3rd, 2023, 7:36 am
    Post #6 - April 3rd, 2023, 7:36 am Post #6 - April 3rd, 2023, 7:36 am
    Geo wrote:My sister lives in Mesa. A couple of times when visiting her I've gotten in touch with Dom, and gone out with him. Always a delight--he's such a gracious, generous guy. We lost a good one here on LTH...

Geo

Dom credits the experience on LTH for launching this career. We were there for him at the right time. I think it all worked out very well.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more