LTH Home

DNAinfo and Gothamist Are Shutting Down

DNAinfo and Gothamist Are Shutting Down
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • DNAinfo and Gothamist Are Shutting Down

Post #1 - November 2nd, 2017, 3:38 pm
    Post #1 - November 2nd, 2017, 3:38 pm Post #1 - November 2nd, 2017, 3:38 pm
    A week ago, reporters and editors in the combined newsroom of DNAinfo and Gothamist, two of New York City’s leading digital purveyors of local news, celebrated victory in their vote to join a union. On Thursday, they lost their jobs, as Joe Ricketts, the billionaire founder of TD Ameritrade who owned the sites, shut them down.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/02/nyre ... .html?_r=0
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #2 - November 2nd, 2017, 5:07 pm
    Post #2 - November 2nd, 2017, 5:07 pm Post #2 - November 2nd, 2017, 5:07 pm
    this is very disappointing news; and i'm sure the new york staff joining a union was just the final straw for ricketts, not a man i want to support in any way.... but i depended on the neighborhood dna news to keep me informed and will miss it. right now, the weird thing is that i've been trying to read yesterday's dna chicago email but regardless of which article i click on, all i get is ricketts's letter announcing the closing. i thought there was some kind of glitch, so i even restarted my computer, but he's shut down the most recent article (dated wednesday, 9:11am) and won't let anyone read it....
  • Post #3 - November 2nd, 2017, 5:48 pm
    Post #3 - November 2nd, 2017, 5:48 pm Post #3 - November 2nd, 2017, 5:48 pm
    justjoan wrote:this is very disappointing news; and i'm sure the new york staff joining a union was just the final straw for ricketts, not a man i want to support in any way.... but i depended on the neighborhood dna news to keep me informed and will miss it. right now, the weird thing is that i've been trying to read yesterday's dna chicago email but regardless of which article i click on, all i get is ricketts's letter announcing the closing. i thought there was some kind of glitch, so i even restarted my computer, but he's shut down the most recent article (dated wednesday, 9:11am) and won't let anyone read it....

Political postings should be removed. Unless LTH administration wants to be selective.
  • Post #4 - November 2nd, 2017, 6:56 pm
    Post #4 - November 2nd, 2017, 6:56 pm Post #4 - November 2nd, 2017, 6:56 pm
    How was the post political? There's no advocacy in it. It's one poster's self-reported experience. Honestly, calling it political was as political as the post itself.
  • Post #5 - November 2nd, 2017, 7:07 pm
    Post #5 - November 2nd, 2017, 7:07 pm Post #5 - November 2nd, 2017, 7:07 pm
    bweiny wrote:How was the post political? There's no advocacy in it. It's one poster's self-reported experience. Honestly, calling it political was as political as the post itself.

Agreed. Let's move on and please, let's keep it civil and within the parameters of our Posting Guidelines.

Thanks,

=R=
    for the Moderators
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #6 - November 2nd, 2017, 7:56 pm
    Post #6 - November 2nd, 2017, 7:56 pm Post #6 - November 2nd, 2017, 7:56 pm
    This is very very unfortunate news. And makes LTH all the more important as a source of information.
  • Post #7 - November 4th, 2017, 12:44 pm
    Post #7 - November 4th, 2017, 12:44 pm Post #7 - November 4th, 2017, 12:44 pm
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/03/opin ... pe=article

the New York Times agrees that rickett's shut down his 2 operations out of spite
  • Post #8 - November 5th, 2017, 12:21 pm
    Post #8 - November 5th, 2017, 12:21 pm Post #8 - November 5th, 2017, 12:21 pm
    The New York Times opinion piece is by Hamilton Nolan, a senior writer at Splinter, and not by a NYT employee.

Six months ago, reporters and editors at DNAinfo-Gothamist announced their intent to join the Writers Guild of America, East. This is the union that my colleagues and I at Gawker Media joined in 2015, and the union that has organized major online media companies like HuffPost, Vice Media, Slate and Thrillist in the past two years. In that short amount of time, unionized “new media” workers have won substantial raises, editorial protections and other improvements that writers at more mature companies take for granted.
  • Post #9 - November 5th, 2017, 3:48 pm
    Post #9 - November 5th, 2017, 3:48 pm Post #9 - November 5th, 2017, 3:48 pm
    LTH,

Posts that did not comply with our Posting Guidelines, and some that referenced those, were removed from the thread. Please remain mindful of the Posting Guidelines when posting on this, or any, thread.

Thanks,

=R=
    for the Moderators
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #10 - March 9th, 2018, 4:39 pm
    Post #10 - March 9th, 2018, 4:39 pm Post #10 - March 9th, 2018, 4:39 pm
    DNAinfo Chicago will be reborn as Block Club Chicago, relying on blockchain and subscriptions instead of billionaires

http://www.niemanlab.org/2018/02/dnainf ... lionaires/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more