LTH Home

Immigrants and Food feature in the Chicago Reader

Immigrants and Food feature in the Chicago Reader
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Immigrants and Food feature in the Chicago Reader

Post #1 - October 12th, 2017, 9:31 am
    Post #1 - October 12th, 2017, 9:31 am Post #1 - October 12th, 2017, 9:31 am
    the reader's cover story is well worth reading this week. there are some substantial interviews with immigrants about their native foodways

The foodways of Chicago’s new immigrants
  • Post #2 - October 12th, 2017, 10:32 am
    Post #2 - October 12th, 2017, 10:32 am Post #2 - October 12th, 2017, 10:32 am
    I'm presuming this excellent piece by Mike Sula is part of the cover feature:

Balkan Grill Company is the king of road food

at chicagoreader.com, Mike Sula wrote:All day long at the Petro truck stop in Gary, Indiana, drivers pull in, dismount from their cabs, and saunter lazily across the long blacktop toward a grassy patch next to the parking lot entrance. Muttering into Bluetooth earpieces, they approach the steps of a raised semitrailer painted bright yellow, announcing itself to the parking lot with the words "Balkan Grill Restaurant." Inside, a stark cargo area contains a few high-top tables, a drink cooler filled with bottled water and the Slovenian soft drink Cockta, and a window that separates customers from the kitchen, the register, and Momocilo "Momo" Bogdanovich.

Bogdanovich is the cashier, owner, and cook of the three-year-old establishment, which serves some of the freshest, hottest, heartiest Serbian food in the midwest. When he came to the U.S. ten years ago, Bogdanovich, who has a degree in economics from the University of Belgrade, found work as a long-haul truck driver. That's how he learned the rare pleasure of a homestyle meal after many days behind the wheel. "All the time when I was on the road, the food looked bad," he says. "Truck-stop food is not good."

I was unable to find a link to the full cover feature.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #3 - October 12th, 2017, 3:14 pm
    Post #3 - October 12th, 2017, 3:14 pm Post #3 - October 12th, 2017, 3:14 pm
    ronnie, i just checked the Reader website, and you're right- i can't find a link to the cover articles (5 interviews plus the m. rakowitz article). i guess you'll have to grab the actual Reader to read it....
  • Post #4 - October 12th, 2017, 3:15 pm
    Post #4 - October 12th, 2017, 3:15 pm Post #4 - October 12th, 2017, 3:15 pm
    justjoan wrote:ronnie, i just checked the Reader website, and you're right- i can't find a link to the cover articles (5 interviews plus the m. rakowitz article). i guess you'll have to grab the actual Reader to read it....

History suggests it will eventually be added to their site.

=R=
  • Post #5 - October 12th, 2017, 7:41 pm
    Post #5 - October 12th, 2017, 7:41 pm Post #5 - October 12th, 2017, 7:41 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    justjoan wrote:ronnie, i just checked the Reader website, and you're right- i can't find a link to the cover articles (5 interviews plus the m. rakowitz article). i guess you'll have to grab the actual Reader to read it....

History suggests it will eventually be added to their site.

=R=

Fwiw, it wasn't referred to in the weekly Reader Food & Drink email blast, which I received earlier today. That said, the piece on Michael Rakowitz, written by Aimee Levitt, can be found here:

Enemy Kitchen, a food truck and public art project, serves up hospitality in place of hostility

=R=
  • Post #6 - October 13th, 2017, 4:51 pm
    Post #6 - October 13th, 2017, 4:51 pm Post #6 - October 13th, 2017, 4:51 pm
    I believe this is it
    https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/f ... d=32261255
  • Post #7 - October 13th, 2017, 7:26 pm
    Post #7 - October 13th, 2017, 7:26 pm Post #7 - October 13th, 2017, 7:26 pm
    From the article:

"Chicago is a sanctuary city.

This does not mean it's a haven for criminals from other countries...
    It simply means that immigrants can live their lives without worrying that U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement will round them up and send them back to where they came from."

Really? Are Reader writers living in Utopia Island sponsored by Chicago Board of Education?
  • Post #8 - October 16th, 2017, 11:38 am
    Post #8 - October 16th, 2017, 11:38 am Post #8 - October 16th, 2017, 11:38 am
    In general, a sanctuary city limits its cooperation with the federal effort to enforce immigration law.

https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/d ... urces.html
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more