LTH Home

ZOMG! Chicago is the restaurant city of the year!

ZOMG! Chicago is the restaurant city of the year!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • ZOMG! Chicago is the restaurant city of the year!

Post #1 - September 17th, 2017, 8:16 am
    Post #1 - September 17th, 2017, 8:16 am Post #1 - September 17th, 2017, 8:16 am
    I guess this got published over the summer and I missed it:

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/chicago-restaurant-city-of-the-year-2017

Has this been discussed? Anyway, perused a couple of takes, perhaps because it was regurgitated in the Trib today, but the approach really irks me. I love eating in Chicago - it's obviously a great city, food or otherwise - but there's this really surreal out-of-town emphasis on Elske and Giant (when I was at the latter some time last year there was a NYTimes photographer at work in the dining room). Yet local responses to Elske specifically have been relatively tepid, and Giant is ... fine (imo). But that's neither here nor there.

More annoying to me is that everything from the original Bon Appetit piece (written by Trib alum Julia Kramer, though this I doubt was her fault) to the latest Trib article keep bringing up the same hoary cliches about Chicago food. The subhead of BA: "If you're coming to Chicago for deep dish, well, you need to try harder." A quote from a (local!) chef in the Trib: "Chicago was more of a 'come get your deep dish and eat your steak' kind of place.' Getting called out by Bon Appetit makes people realize they can come here and eat meals they won't be able to have in any other city."

Well, duh. That's the perspective of someone raised locked in a Lou Malnati's freezer , forced to subsist for years on cold butter crust, finally let out to see the light and learn there is more to the world than pizza and meat. Like, I get it. It's a good hook. But it's just so tired. It's a bit like stating "Chicago is no longer just a place to hang in the airport until your cancelled flight gets rescheduled" when it's remained one of the most visited cities for years.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more