LTH Home

The Great British Baking Show - NO SPOILERS, PLEASE

The Great British Baking Show - NO SPOILERS, PLEASE
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - June 2nd, 2018, 10:39 pm
    Post #91 - June 2nd, 2018, 10:39 pm Post #91 - June 2nd, 2018, 10:39 pm
    Season 5 of the Great British Baking Show will premiere on WTTW on June 22. This is season 5 of the PBS run, and no it has not been shown on PBS previously.
  • Post #92 - June 2nd, 2018, 11:38 pm
    Post #92 - June 2nd, 2018, 11:38 pm Post #92 - June 2nd, 2018, 11:38 pm
    NFriday wrote:Season 5 of the Great British Baking Show will premiere on WTTW on June 22. This is season 5 of the PBS run, and no it has not been shown on PBS previously.

Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood are still together, which is all that matters. I wonder how we will react to the show with Paul-only. Time will tell.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #93 - June 4th, 2018, 11:05 am
    Post #93 - June 4th, 2018, 11:05 am Post #93 - June 4th, 2018, 11:05 am
    Apparently PBS has the US rights for the Great British Baking Show including the new version minus Mary. There have been seven seasons of the original series with Paul and Mary, and PBS has shown four of them so far, with a fifth season coming up on 6/22. PBS is undecided as to whether they will show the other two seasons or the new version.

When the first season of the new version aired in Great Britain on channel Four, one of the hosts tweeted who was going to be the winner before the final episode aired, and apparently cause an uproar.
  • Post #94 - June 5th, 2018, 4:42 pm
    Post #94 - June 5th, 2018, 4:42 pm Post #94 - June 5th, 2018, 4:42 pm
    On the recommendation of my cousin, I spent the weekend binging this show on Netflix (which starts at S5, I think), and now I'm hooked. This show is what every competitive cooking show should be.

It actually makes me nostalgic for Dom's Top Chef coverage on his blog (which is actually how I discovered this forum in the first place), because I can spend all day talking about this show in the same manner. Probably more, because it's so focused on the cooking instead of the horrible melodrama that ruined Top Chef.

I also adore the Master Class spinoff, and want to spend all my time watching Mary and Paul get cheeky with each other while showing us how it's supposed to be done. The only thing that could make it better is actually getting to sample what they're cooking, but, alas, replicator technology just isn't available yet. (Looking at you, Elon Musk. Just saying...).
    "I've always thought pastrami was the most sensuous of the salted cured meats."
  • Post #95 - June 5th, 2018, 7:25 pm
    Post #95 - June 5th, 2018, 7:25 pm Post #95 - June 5th, 2018, 7:25 pm
    NFriday wrote:Apparently PBS has the US rights for the Great British Baking Show including the new version minus Mary. There have been seven seasons of the original series with Paul and Mary, and PBS has shown four of them so far, with a fifth season coming up on 6/22. PBS is undecided as to whether they will show the other two seasons or the new version.

My preference is seeing the seasons in order, not skipping to the new team for sensational reasons.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #96 - June 13th, 2018, 2:04 pm
    Post #96 - June 13th, 2018, 2:04 pm Post #96 - June 13th, 2018, 2:04 pm
    So I did some Googling, and it looks like the PBS seasons are actually slightly out-of-order. Season 1 on PBS is actually Series 5 on the BBC, and Season 2 is Series 4; after that they match up (Season 3-4 on PBS are Series 6-7 on the BBC). I have no idea why it's flipped like that, and it has no bearing on watching the show, but I found that strange.

Anyway, I'm spoiled on the winner for this forthcoming season (the finale actually being the first episode of the show I'd ever watched), but I nevertheless remain eager to watch anyway. I promise not spoil anyone, and I'm looking forward to the discussion.
    "I've always thought pastrami was the most sensuous of the salted cured meats."
  • Post #97 - June 13th, 2018, 2:10 pm
    Post #97 - June 13th, 2018, 2:10 pm Post #97 - June 13th, 2018, 2:10 pm
    No problem, George. This is a show where the journey is as great or greater than the final result.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #98 - June 17th, 2018, 8:06 am
    Post #98 - June 17th, 2018, 8:06 am Post #98 - June 17th, 2018, 8:06 am
    Hi- There is a Great British Baking Show marathon that started last night on WTTW Prime that is still going on. They have already made it through one season. The season they are doing now, I don't recognize any of the bakers. Hope this helps, Nancy

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more