LTH Home

The Great British Baking Show - NO SPOILERS, PLEASE

The Great British Baking Show - NO SPOILERS, PLEASE
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 6
  • Post #31 - February 18th, 2015, 11:31 am
    Post #31 - February 18th, 2015, 11:31 am Post #31 - February 18th, 2015, 11:31 am
    Hi,

Sorry, I wasn't thinking. I was mourning the loss. Please forgive me.

I have since edited my thread above to at least alert others.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #32 - February 18th, 2015, 6:09 pm
    Post #32 - February 18th, 2015, 6:09 pm Post #32 - February 18th, 2015, 6:09 pm
    There is a "spoiler" function in the drop-down menu labeled "other BBcodes." Anyone posting information like the foregoing (meaning, time-sensitive information regarding current episodes of this or any other show) should probably consider using it, as that's what it's there for.
  • Post #33 - February 18th, 2015, 9:26 pm
    Post #33 - February 18th, 2015, 9:26 pm Post #33 - February 18th, 2015, 9:26 pm
    sundevilpeg wrote:There is a "spoiler" function in the drop-down menu labeled "other BBcodes." Anyone posting information like the foregoing (meaning, time-sensitive information regarding current episodes of this or any other show) should probably consider using it, as that's what it's there for.

SDP,

You always do have the light touch ... :D

A few weeks ago, I actively looked for the spoiler code and could not find it. Thanks for highlighting where it is and it now has been implemented.

Thank you!

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #34 - February 19th, 2015, 9:17 am
    Post #34 - February 19th, 2015, 9:17 am Post #34 - February 19th, 2015, 9:17 am
    Cathy2 wrote:
    sundevilpeg wrote:There is a "spoiler" function in the drop-down menu labeled "other BBcodes." Anyone posting information like the foregoing (meaning, time-sensitive information regarding current episodes of this or any other show) should probably consider using it, as that's what it's there for.

SDP,

You always do have the light touch ... :D

A few weeks ago, I actively looked for the spoiler code and could not find it. Thanks for highlighting where it is and it now has been implemented.

Thank you!

Regards,

I didn't know that existed! Learned something new today. Cathy, I was sad, too. I like everyone who is left and it will be tough to see anyone go.
  • Post #35 - March 3rd, 2015, 12:07 pm
    Post #35 - March 3rd, 2015, 12:07 pm Post #35 - March 3rd, 2015, 12:07 pm
    No spoilers here, but I just watched the final. What a grueling set of bakes-- the technical challenge was almost ridiculous-- and what a great ending.

Also, I was so touched that they have a big picnic at the end, where friends, families, and even some of the contestants who had been eliminated come together to celebrate (and to eat the final show-stopper too!). What a lovely way to end the series. Nancy, thanks for mentioning this series. I'm heading off to YouTube to check out previous seasons.

Cheers, Jen
  • Post #36 - April 26th, 2015, 5:19 pm
    Post #36 - April 26th, 2015, 5:19 pm Post #36 - April 26th, 2015, 5:19 pm
    Have you seen the Red Nose versions? Red Nose is a charity that is done by British comedians. Just search "Red Nose" on YouTube and you will see your favorite stars doing skits for Red Nose. The Great Bake Off is one of the funniest. With Dame Edna, The Absolutely Fabulous ladies (Saunders and Lumley) and LuLu, it it really, really funny.
    What disease did cured ham actually have?
  • Post #37 - September 6th, 2015, 4:49 pm
    Post #37 - September 6th, 2015, 4:49 pm Post #37 - September 6th, 2015, 4:49 pm
    Hi- I just want to let people know that the new season for the Great British Baking Show starts tonight 9/6, at 6:00pm, on WTTW. They are doing sandwich cakes and angle food cakes tonight. I can't wait. 13 new contestants. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #38 - September 7th, 2015, 3:03 am
    Post #38 - September 7th, 2015, 3:03 am Post #38 - September 7th, 2015, 3:03 am
    Hi- Did anybody else watch the show tonight? The person who got eliminated tonight did not surprise me.
    Spoiler:
    They made a sandwich cake, an angle food cake, and a chocolate cake. What exactly is a sandwich cake?
    Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #39 - September 7th, 2015, 8:34 am
    Post #39 - September 7th, 2015, 8:34 am Post #39 - September 7th, 2015, 8:34 am
    Folks,

If you share anything that is even remotely a spoiler, please use the Spoiler Code option from the Other BBcodes drop down menu to protect it. If you need help with that function, please PM a Moderator.

Thanks,

=R=
    for the Mods
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #40 - September 8th, 2015, 9:28 am
    Post #40 - September 8th, 2015, 9:28 am Post #40 - September 8th, 2015, 9:28 am
    Hi,

The old season reran over the summer, guess which episodes I missed yet again? The final, which I still hope to see and be pleasantly surprised. Season One's episodes can be found here, though not on WTTW's website.

WTTW's schedule is here, which is great for catching it later.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #41 - September 8th, 2015, 11:03 am
    Post #41 - September 8th, 2015, 11:03 am Post #41 - September 8th, 2015, 11:03 am
    Hi- I saw the final episode of the first season about a month ago on a Sunday afternoon when I was flipping channels. The person that won deserved to win. I think WTTW only keeps their shows up online for a week. If people have comcast on demand they can watch them that way too, but I think Comcast only keeps them up for a week too. I winder if any of the public libraries have the first season? You can go to ABC.com, and see Dancing with the Stars for at least a month on line. BTW-Dancing with the Stars is going to start next week. I believe it is going to be on Mondays again. They used to have a results show the next day, but they dropped that a few years ago, because they were having problems finding advertisers. DWTS attracts a much older audience than advertisers like. If a large percentage of your audience does not fall into the 19-49 age group, advertisers aren't interested in the show. It will be interested to see how long Paula Deen lasts on the show. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #42 - September 8th, 2015, 11:20 am
    Post #42 - September 8th, 2015, 11:20 am Post #42 - September 8th, 2015, 11:20 am
    I should point out that the current season airing on PBS was filmed a year before the season shown last spring. Season 6 is currently airing in the UK. Season 5 was shown on PBS last spring, and the current series being shown is Season 4. Perhaps PBS will pickup Season 6 in the spring next year.

On another website I read, people have commented how much more likeable the hosts have become in the current PBS season :lol:
  • Post #43 - September 21st, 2015, 11:26 am
    Post #43 - September 21st, 2015, 11:26 am Post #43 - September 21st, 2015, 11:26 am
    Season 4 (I think) is currently re-running on PBS - you can also catch the episodes on the PBS app (which I am seriously impressed by - I have it installed on my nexus & also Roku, & it works really well).
    Last edited by Athena on September 22nd, 2015, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #44 - September 21st, 2015, 11:41 am
    Post #44 - September 21st, 2015, 11:41 am Post #44 - September 21st, 2015, 11:41 am
    HI,

I was eating an early dinner on Saturday evening when a friend called to chat. I asked if I could call back after 6 pm, I was watching the Great British Baking Show. They agreed it was more important to finish, then call back. It is nice to have understanding friends.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #45 - October 8th, 2015, 6:54 am
    Post #45 - October 8th, 2015, 6:54 am Post #45 - October 8th, 2015, 6:54 am
    Intriguing story: the current season's finale became the most-watched show in Britain...

Warning: there are spoilers in the story (even though this season is not yet being shown here).
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #46 - May 18th, 2016, 11:56 am
    Post #46 - May 18th, 2016, 11:56 am Post #46 - May 18th, 2016, 11:56 am
    BBC has announced intentions to remove 11,000 recipes from their website as a cost savings.

Better run over to copy any recipes which interest you. Personally, I am very interested in the hot water crust recipes used to make those towering Victorian pies.

Saveur has highlighted 5 ENGLISH RECIPES TO BOOKMARK BEFORE THE BBC SHUTTERS ITS FOOD PAGE. I'd copy just as much as I may bookmark.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #47 - May 19th, 2016, 3:19 pm
    Post #47 - May 19th, 2016, 3:19 pm Post #47 - May 19th, 2016, 3:19 pm
    Following Outcry, BBC Clarifies It Will Not Delete Thousands of Recipes*
    Brits were outraged, and more than 180,000 people signed a petition to save the site. Following the outcry, the network has now clarified what will happen to its robust recipe archive: "We are glad that so many people care so much about all our content. But just to be clear, we have never said we'd delete all the recipes and nor will we," a BBC spokesperson said. "We currently have two websites and we'll move to one. The recipes you love will still be available and we'll migrate as much of the content as possible to the BBC Good Food website. So you'll still be able to carry on baking and cooking with the BBC."

* I love the author's name: Whitney Filloon :)
    Cathy2

• Post #48 - June 10th, 2016, 4:33 pm
    Post #48 - June 10th, 2016, 4:33 pm Post #48 - June 10th, 2016, 4:33 pm
    'Great British Baking Show' launches new season July 1 on PBS
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #49 - July 1st, 2016, 8:03 pm
    Post #49 - July 1st, 2016, 8:03 pm Post #49 - July 1st, 2016, 8:03 pm
    'Great British Baking Show' launches new season July 1 on PBS

Showtime, people! :D
  • Post #50 - July 1st, 2016, 10:20 pm
    Post #50 - July 1st, 2016, 10:20 pm Post #50 - July 1st, 2016, 10:20 pm
    One thing this show has done for me: I want to make one of those tall meat pies encrusted in hot water dough. It is something I had seen in pictures of Victorian tables. I never imagined they were made today.

It is definitely on my bucket list.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #51 - July 4th, 2016, 7:30 pm
    Post #51 - July 4th, 2016, 7:30 pm Post #51 - July 4th, 2016, 7:30 pm
    Some older episodes are also available on Amazon Prime.
  • Post #52 - July 10th, 2016, 9:23 am
    Post #52 - July 10th, 2016, 9:23 am Post #52 - July 10th, 2016, 9:23 am
    Hi,

The current season episode is repeated on Sunday afternoons at 1 pm on 11-1.

A prior season episode is on Sunday morning on 11-2.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #53 - September 22nd, 2016, 10:03 am
    Post #53 - September 22nd, 2016, 10:03 am Post #53 - September 22nd, 2016, 10:03 am
    HI,

This show is moving from BBC to Channel 4. Only Paul Hollywood remains.

Mary Berry just resigned, which now rumors suggest their may be a BBC competitor to the original show. The two comedians have resigned as well, and were the first to fly the coop.

Change is in the air!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #54 - September 23rd, 2016, 10:05 pm
    Post #54 - September 23rd, 2016, 10:05 pm Post #54 - September 23rd, 2016, 10:05 pm
    BBC to launch Great British Bake Off RIVAL with Mary Berry, Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc
    Cathy2

• Post #55 - October 19th, 2016, 6:08 am
    Post #55 - October 19th, 2016, 6:08 am Post #55 - October 19th, 2016, 6:08 am
    ‘The Great British Bake Off’ Changes the Way the British Bake

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/19/dinin ... tcore-ipad
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #56 - October 19th, 2016, 6:34 pm
    Post #56 - October 19th, 2016, 6:34 pm Post #56 - October 19th, 2016, 6:34 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    ‘The Great British Bake Off’ Changes the Way the British Bake

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/19/dinin ... tcore-ipad

:D
    In the six years it has been on the air, “The Great British Bake Off” has fundamentally changed the way the British regard baking, dessert-eating and even their own culture of sweets. The “Bake Off Effect,” as it is known, has manifested in a resurgence in home baking, a noticeable increase in the quality of baked goods sold all over the country, and a growing number of people pursuing careers as professional pastry chefs.
    Cathy2

• Post #57 - October 22nd, 2016, 8:10 am
    Post #57 - October 22nd, 2016, 8:10 am Post #57 - October 22nd, 2016, 8:10 am
    Because of missed the final episode of the last season, though I do know who won. I like to see the action myself. Here is the upcoming schedule until late December. I am quite interested in the master classes by Mary and Paul, which feature desserts the contestants had to puzzle out:

Final
    The three finalists must master a classic pastry technique that normally takes a day in three hours.
    Sun, Dec 25 at 5:00 pm on WTTW Prime

Chocolate
    The Signature task is chocolate tart, followed by chocolate souffle in the Technical challenge.
    Sat, Oct 29 at 5:00 pm on WTTW Prime
    Sun, Oct 30 at 9:00 am on WTTW Prime

The Final
    The finalists create filled iced buns and a classic British cake in a multi-layered presentation.
    Sat, Nov 5 at 5:00 pm on WTTW Prime
    Sun, Nov 6 at 9:00 am on WTTW Prime

Masterclass 1
    Learn from Mary how to make classic Madeira cake and frosted walnut cake.
    Sat, Nov 12 at 5:00 pm on WTTW Prime
    Sun, Nov 13 at 9:00 am on WTTW Prime
    Sat, Dec 10 at 5:00 pm on WTTW Prime

Masterclass 2
    Paul makes soda bread and then bakes baguettes. Mary makes cappuccino creme brulees.
    Sat, Nov 19 at 5:00 pm on WTTW Prime
    Sun, Nov 20 at 9:00 am on WTTW Prime
    Sat, Dec 17 at 5:00 pm on WTTW Prime

Masterclass 3
    Mary demonstrates her sugar-free carrot cake before making an apricot frangipane tart.
    Sat, Nov 26 at 5:00 pm on WTTW Prime
    Sun, Nov 27 at 9:00 am on WTTW Prime

Masterclass 4
    Mary makes a tennis cake based on a Victorian recipe and Paul makes two types of cream horns.
    Sat, Dec 3 at 5:00 pm on WTTW Prime
    Cathy2

• Post #58 - November 6th, 2016, 10:35 am
    Post #58 - November 6th, 2016, 10:35 am Post #58 - November 6th, 2016, 10:35 am
    I finally watched the final episode of the Great British Baking Show. Yes, I was verklempt when the winner was announced.

I don't know this person, though I was impressed by the effort put forth all season.

Some people cry for the Cubs, I cry for the Great British Baking Show winner.

I was impressed by Nadija's homemade fondant made with marshmellow and powdered sugar.
    Cathy2

• Post #59 - November 20th, 2016, 12:20 pm
    Post #59 - November 20th, 2016, 12:20 pm Post #59 - November 20th, 2016, 12:20 pm
    Hi,

I have been having great fun - and learning a few techniques - watching the master classes.

If Paul is preparing a dish, then Mary is measuring ingredients for him and vice versa. One query kept creaping up between them: which flour? Strong? Regular? What does that mean to Americans trying to interpret their recipes?

Looking around the internet I found some interesting articles:

10 TIPS FOR BAKING FROM AMERICAN BLOGS IN THE UK

3. American granulated sugar is somewhere between caster sugar and UK granulated sugar in the size of the grains. Superfine sugar means something similar to caster sugar and confectioners sugar refers to icing sugar.
    5. All-purpose flour is slightly higher in protein than British plain flour, but most of the time you can substitute without any problems. If the recipe is particularly delicate, you can reproduce a similar protein content by using half plain flour and half strong white flour. Cake flour in the US is very low in protein, and usually bleached, a process which is outlawed in Europe. This makes it very hard to reproduce the superfine sponge used for American layer cakes.
    7. Molasses is a dark syrup, much like black treacle, but usually more liquid. I will usually substitute about two-thirds black treacle and one-third golden syrup if molasses is called for.
    8. Kosher salt is not Jewish salt – it simply means a flaky salt, used for koshering meat. Kosher salt is widely available in the US, and isn’t as expensive as sea salt here. It is best approximated with a fine sea salt, or with about half the volume of fine-grained table salt.

I love 10. when they pity our available cream.

Cook's Info: Flour

As a generic term, Flour can mean a fine, dry powder ground from some form of vegetable matter, but unless a recipe says otherwise, what is meant is Wheat Flour -- specifically, White Wheat Flour. Some Flours are used to provide body -- such as Wheat or Rye Flour -- because they contain a lot of fibre; others, which contain far less fibre, are used more as a starch for thickening -- such as Water Chestnut Flour.

European Flours are graded differently from North American and UK flours.

This link has a very useful comparison chart of Canadian, American and UK flours. It defines some of the flours discussed between Mary and Paul: strong flour, wholemeal flour and plain flour.

The big takeaway from today's class: I want to make a Spanische Windtorte, an Austrian confection of several types meringue filled with whipped cream, strawberries and raspberries.

Now to get the double cream, which is 48% fat!

O Chef: Is There a Double Cream on This Side of the Atlantic?

Can you get a higher-fat cream to use in the recipe? Yes, with a little effort on your part. The first step is to prepare a homemade version of crème frâiche. Combine 2 tablespoons of buttermilk or sour cream with 2 cups of heavy cream. Heat the mixture to body temperature in a pan, and then let the mixture sit in a non-reactive container (stainless-steel, glass, or ceramic) in a warm place for 24 hours or so, until it thickens.

Step 2 is to line a strainer with a triple thickness of cheesecloth or a wet napkin, fill it with the crème frâiche, and suspend that over a container in the refrigerator. The whey will drain out of the cream, leaving it with a higher fat content. By the time about a quarter of a cup of whey drains from your 2 cups of crème frâiche, you will have a fat content around 48% to 50%. It will taste a little more acidic than fresh cream, and you will have to judge for yourself whether that might negatively affect the flavor of your cake.

Corn flour = corn starch
    Cathy2

• Post #60 - July 28th, 2017, 5:32 pm
    Post #60 - July 28th, 2017, 5:32 pm Post #60 - July 28th, 2017, 5:32 pm
    Hi- I am surprised nobody has mentioned this program recently. They are currently broadcasting I believe season 4 on WTTW on Friday evenings at 9:00pm. It will be rebroadcast on Sundays at 5:00pm. They are having the quarterfinals tonight. Apparently there are a few other seasons whci PBS has not shown yet. Hopefully they will show the rest of them. I believe there are 3 seasons they have not shown. I have not heard yet when channel 4 is going to do a new season with Paul Hollywood, or when Mary is going to do her show on the BBC. I think this is going to be her last season. I heard that she does not like to fly, and that is probably why they have been filming the Great American Baking Show in Great Britain. I am going to Ravinia tonight to hear the CSO with some friends. I will have to watch the show on Sunday. Hope this helps, Nancy

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more