LTH Home

What do you do w/ back issues of Saveur, Cooks Illus, , etc.

What do you do w/ back issues of Saveur, Cooks Illus, , etc.
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • What do you do w/ back issues of Saveur, Cooks Illus, , etc.

Post #1 - October 29th, 2012, 9:48 pm
    Post #1 - October 29th, 2012, 9:48 pm Post #1 - October 29th, 2012, 9:48 pm
    Fellow Cooks,

What do you do with your magazine back issues? They are truly collecting dust
    in my apartment. I have almost a complete set of Saveur and Cooks Illus. since
    their inception and I somehow value them...That said, does anyone want to take
    them off my hands? I think I am ready to look for a good home...

Is there any good reason to keep them?

Nancy
  • Post #2 - October 30th, 2012, 9:18 am
    Post #2 - October 30th, 2012, 9:18 am Post #2 - October 30th, 2012, 9:18 am
    I'm not sure when Cook's Illustrated began, but I have issues going back to the mid 90s. I keep them in little cardboard magazine holders. I have a friend who had hers hard-bound. I do think it's worthwhile to keep the CI, because I can look up a recipe online, and even though I don't have a paid web account with them, I can note the date and retrieve that issue off my shelf. With their ridiculous pay-wall, I think it's worth it.
  • Post #3 - October 30th, 2012, 11:16 am
    Post #3 - October 30th, 2012, 11:16 am Post #3 - October 30th, 2012, 11:16 am
    Cook's Illustrated at least publishes an annual index in one issue a year.
    We bought the hardcover volumes for the years before we subscribed, and we keep the newer issues all in (mostly) sequential order. However, at least with the older hardcover volumes, the bindings are awful and pages fall out almost immediately (it's possible they've fixed that in the last 15 years).
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #4 - October 30th, 2012, 1:43 pm
    Post #4 - October 30th, 2012, 1:43 pm Post #4 - October 30th, 2012, 1:43 pm
    We have one of those small public book swap kiosks in the local park.
    I usually remove the mailing label and leave them there. Someone must like them because they disappear.

It seems that two types of people visit it. There are very interesting esoteric books as well as lots of "romance" novels.
  • Post #5 - October 30th, 2012, 4:11 pm
    Post #5 - October 30th, 2012, 4:11 pm Post #5 - October 30th, 2012, 4:11 pm
    Just sent you a pm. I'm interested in taking them off of your hands.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #6 - October 30th, 2012, 5:38 pm
    Post #6 - October 30th, 2012, 5:38 pm Post #6 - October 30th, 2012, 5:38 pm
    I have the same issue. Many magazines cooking, etc. I do save some of them but need to get rid of others. Usually I take them to charity places and leave them there. I also suggest that for those involved in such things as a Dessert Exchange or small household food exchange that they could bring any cookbooks, magazines or even cooking tools that are unneeded and offer them to the group. Its a good way to get rid of things and maybe find that someone else could use it.
    Also some Metra stations in the suburbs have racks set up where people can leave books and magazines for train riders to take and leave and reading matter on the train. Be sure to remove your name and address from them.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #7 - June 10th, 2017, 3:20 pm
    Post #7 - June 10th, 2017, 3:20 pm Post #7 - June 10th, 2017, 3:20 pm
    I have a lot of Saveur back issues if anyone is interested in them. I've got almost every issue from 2-sometime last year. I think the early ones may be worth a little money but the rest I'm willing to give away if anybody wants them. Warning - a few have a recipe torn out. Just let me know if you're interested or if you know a good place to donate them.

Thanks!
  • Post #8 - June 10th, 2017, 3:30 pm
    Post #8 - June 10th, 2017, 3:30 pm Post #8 - June 10th, 2017, 3:30 pm
    I'd love to have them. I sent you a PM.
  • Post #9 - June 13th, 2017, 3:18 pm
    Post #9 - June 13th, 2017, 3:18 pm Post #9 - June 13th, 2017, 3:18 pm
    I've been trying to declutter and am scanning articles I had saved, and sending them to a dedicated email account. Chicago Public Library has scanners to use for free. Benefit is you can scan articles from the library stock rather than paying for your own subscription, if they have that title; or, your copies remain whole if you want to give them away. Also if you are not aware, CPL has online copies of Bon Appetit, Cook's Illustrated, Food Network, Saveur, Taste of Home and other food magazines.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more