GNR

Posted February 9th 2012, 9:30pm
I miss Jack in the Box for their tacos and a chain called Naugles that had an egg,cheese,and bean burrito that was perfect for soaking up booze after a night of drinking.
Posted February 9th 2012, 9:38pm
I would not mind Jack in the box...greasy but good tacos....not authentic. But....

Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
W. Shakespeare
Posted February 9th 2012, 10:56pm
I kind of liked El Torito, better than Chi-Chi's, Chevy's, went there a lot when our kids were little

Yeah I've graduated to better Mex, but the place was fun.

What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
-- Lin Yutang
Posted February 9th 2012, 11:27pm
JoelF wrote:I kind of liked El Torito, better than Chi-Chi's, Chevy's, went there a lot when our kids were little

I have to confess a soft spot for Amei-Mexican chains.
If there were a Pepe's or El Torito near to me I'd probably be there once a month.

Posted February 10th 2012, 2:37am
Come back from the dead: Prince Castle

Come back to the Chicago area: Maid-Rite

Author of the LTH board theme and primary developer of the LTH homepage theme

http://www.dion-designs.com
http://www.diondesigns.org/bridgedd/

Site Admin
Posted February 10th 2012, 8:49am
toria wrote:I would not mind Jack in the box...greasy but good tacos....not authentic. But....

And don't forget the secret menu item: Bacon Milkshake

Steve Z.

"Why should I eat a carrot when I can eat pizza?" - Dan Janssen
Posted February 10th 2012, 9:07am
I have fond childhood memories of Victoria Station.

When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!
Posted February 10th 2012, 10:42am
Whenever we travel between here and St Louis, we make a point of stopping at JiB for tacos. One of the wrongest things that can be bought...and one of the best.

As a mattra-fact, Pie Face, you are beginning to look almost human. - Barbara Bennett

Lead Moderator
Posted February 10th 2012, 10:57am
Suzy Creamcheese wrote:Whenever we travel between here and St Louis, we make a point of stopping at JiB for tacos. One of the wrongest things that can be bought...and one of the best.

I have felt the Burger King tacos are very comparable to the Jack-in-the-Box. A friend did a back-to-back giving an edge over to Burger King.

Regards,

Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
Posted February 10th 2012, 11:09am
The only one I can think of is Cock Robin.

i used to milk cows
Posted February 10th 2012, 11:20am
zoid wrote:
JoelF wrote:I kind of liked El Torito, better than Chi-Chi's, Chevy's, went there a lot when our kids were little

I have to confess a soft spot for Amei-Mexican chains.
If there were a Pepe's or El Torito near to me I'd probably be there once a month.

I'd like to add Chi Chi's. I really loved that fried ice cream. That was the highlight of going shopping at Golf Mill.

If Mr. Pie was an LTH'r, he'd say Checkers. Apparently they had really fantastic fries.

I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen. ~ Chef Bruce

Late-Nite Eats Database
Posted February 10th 2012, 11:23am
I also loved the Jack-in-the-Box tacos, and agree that the Burger King tacos are about as close as it comes to the real thing.

I would love to see Lum's come back, if only for the Ollieburger. I worked at the Lum's in Glenwood a long time ago and must have eaten those Ollieburgers at least 3 times a week and never got tired of them.

Suzy

" There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
- Frank Zappa
Posted February 10th 2012, 11:26am
Gino's and Ameche's, the burger chains owned by Baltimore Colts Gino Marchetti and Alan Ameche.
Posted February 10th 2012, 11:33am
Mid 80's Taco Bell.

We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
Posted February 10th 2012, 12:26pm
Yes to the Lum's in Glenwood. I think I actually had my first beer there.
Posted February 10th 2012, 12:51pm
If anyone is headed out Lake Tahoe way, Jack in the Box has a few stores in Reno. Every so often when I head down from the lake I have a couple large tacos, and they are every bit as enjoyable as when I was eating them on Ridge and Peterson at 2am in a thoroughly munched out condition.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Frank Sinatra
Posted February 10th 2012, 1:33pm
Schraft's luncheonettes for the special day out with a grandparent.
Howard Johnson's for the fried clams. Especially after a trip to the Bronx Zoo with the grandparent.
(I realize these may be both geographically and chronologically outside the implied parameters of the question. But there it is.)

"Strange how potent cheap music is."

Site Admin
Posted February 10th 2012, 2:05pm
mrbarolo wrote:Howard Johnson's for the fried clams.

+ 1 on the clams. Jaques Pepin was behind many of the dishes served at HoJo in its heyday.

[url]=http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/28/opinion/28pepin.htmlJaques Pepin, who calls his time at Howard Johnson's his American Apprenticeship weighs in[/url].

Steve Z.

Posted February 10th 2012, 2:29pm
Pie Lady wrote:I'd like to add Chi Chi's. I really loved that fried ice cream. That was the highlight of going shopping at Golf Mill.

Believe it or not Chi Chi's is big in Belgium. Yes, they serve Glace Mexicaine. Something to look forward to on your next trip to Antwerp.

Pie Lady wrote:If Mr. Pie was an LTH'r, he'd say Checkers. Apparently they had really fantastic fries.

You can find out for yourself. There are others around but the one at 55th and the Dan Ryan is probably the closest.

Checkers
5451 S Wentworth Av
Chicago
773-268-5145
Posted February 10th 2012, 3:00pm
stevez wrote:
mrbarolo wrote:Howard Johnson's for the fried clams.

+ 1 on the clams. Jaques Pepin was behind many of the dishes served at HoJo in its heyday.

[url]=http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/28/opinion/28pepin.htmlJaques Pepin, who calls his time at Howard Johnson's his American Apprenticeship weighs in[/url].

My partner occasionally swoons over her Friday night dinners of fried clams at HoJo when she was a teen. My bring back to Chicago place is Maid Rite which I came love in college in Iowa. There is one in Peoria.
Last edited by LikestoEatout on February 11th 2012, 9:03am, edited 1 time in total.
Posted February 10th 2012, 3:15pm
My inner-geezer is going to be revealed with these blasts from the past--

Victoria Station-- Really terrific prime rib served at a great mid price-point. We used to patronize the location on Caldwell ( near Tam Golf Course )

Rusty Scupper-- Great seafood, also at a great mid price-point. It's the first place that I ever had a lobster. It was located on Higgins, just west of Cumberland.

JoJo's-- Not the greatest food, but reliable. It was the best that you could do at 3:00 A.M

Jack-in-the-Box-- God bless all of you who have fond memories. My memories are clouded because I don't think that I was ever sober while in the place.

"Goldie, how many times have I told you guys that I don't want no horsin' around on the airplane?"
Posted February 10th 2012, 3:20pm
LikestoEatout wrote:My bring back to Chicago olace is Maid Rite which I came love in college in Iowa. There is one in Peoria.

& Peru, IL. :)

What its like washing windows when you know there are pigeons on the roof

Before Cotton was King: http://www.grubseeker.blogspot.com
Posted February 10th 2012, 3:21pm
That reminds me. Oogie's, of only for the root beer.

I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen. ~ Chef Bruce

Late-Nite Eats Database

Charter Member
Posted February 10th 2012, 3:24pm
Kentucky Fried Chicken from the '60's and early 70's. Some of the other early chains were pretty good back in day before consistency and marketing took over.

Bruce
Plenipotentiary
bruce@bdbbq.com

Raw meat should NOT have an ingredients list!!
Posted February 10th 2012, 3:39pm
I'd like to see A&W Drive-Ins come back if only because of the fond memories I have of my Dad piling us into the car in our pajamas and driving us for rootbeer floats in the summer.

Posted February 10th 2012, 3:56pm
Morrison's Cafeteria

Hot Shoppes

Farrell's Ice Cream

Roy Rogers

Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips
Posted February 10th 2012, 5:01pm
Dog n Suds. It was a drive-in with hot dogs and root beer. I know there are some out in exurbia (Grayslake, Richmond), but there used to be some closer to the city.
Posted February 10th 2012, 5:03pm
mrbarolo wrote:Schraft's luncheonettes for the special day out with a grandparent.
Howard Johnson's for the fried clams. Especially after a trip to the Bronx Zoo with the grandparent.
(I realize these may be both geographically and chronologically outside the implied parameters of the question. But there it is.)

When I was in high school my friend dated a waitress at the HoJo's on Higgins near Cumberland (gone now) and the fried clams were good. I seem to remember a lot of customers ordering peppermint ice cream there too -- maybe it was what they were known for?

Site Admin
Posted February 10th 2012, 5:39pm
PortPkPaul wrote:When I was in high school my friend dated a waitress at the HoJo's on Higgins near Cumberland (gone now) and the fried clams were good. I seem to remember a lot of customers ordering peppermint ice cream there too -- maybe it was what they were known for?

Howard Johnson's was known for its 28 flavors of ice cream, which it proudly proclaimed on the outside of their buildings. Of course, back in the 1800's, as immortalized in Blazing Saddles, they had only one flavor. :wink:

That particular HoJo's building still stands and exists as a Hooter's today.

Steve Z.

Posted February 10th 2012, 5:55pm
I guess it was Peppermint Stick. Frozen Pudding sounds different.

http://www.hojoland.com/28flavors.html
Home Cookin'

Online Information