LTH Home

Favorite cooking shows (lately)

Favorite cooking shows (lately)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 11
  • Post #91 - June 13th, 2018, 9:32 pm
    Post #91 - June 13th, 2018, 9:32 pm Post #91 - June 13th, 2018, 9:32 pm
    NFriday wrote:Did anybody else see 24 Hours to Hell and Back? I was wondering how he was going to revamp a restaurant in 24 hours. It turns out that secret cameras were placed in the restaurant several weeks before Gordon showed up, and several people involved with the show, ate at the restaurant a few times, and so they kind of knew what they were dealing with. Gordon Ramsey then went in incognito to the restaurant, and tried the food himself. After being thoroughly disgusted with his meal, Gordon took off his disguise, and said why he was there, and then immediately closed the restaurant down for 24 hours. In 24 hours they completely rehabbed the place. They painted in the dining room, and replaced all of the ceiling lighting, and replaced all of the furniture. They also replaced all of the equipment in the kitchen, and threw out a ton of food, and scrubbed the kitchen down. I don't know how they were able to do all of that in 24 hours. Ramsey also updated the menu.

Vinny the guy who owned the restaurant had a real temper, and nobody got along with him. He also was not courteous when dealing with customers. The restaurant had lost $100,000 in the last year. They went back to the restaurant three months later, and business had picked up, and Vinny got along better with the employees and customers, but it was still a work in progress.

It is very much the format of Kitchen Nightmares with a more compressed timeline.

I will certainly be watching, because I really do hope these businesses can get their restaurant back on track. Often on Kitchen Nightmares, the intervention came too late with the restaurant closing eventually.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #92 - July 8th, 2018, 3:37 pm
    Post #92 - July 8th, 2018, 3:37 pm Post #92 - July 8th, 2018, 3:37 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

Last year on PBS, 'I'll have what Phil has,' is now Netflix's, 'Somebody Feed Phil.'

That Phil, he really gets around. First episode, Phil is in Bangkok. What a lucky guy.

Regards,
    Cathy2

There are new episodes of 'Somebody Feed Phil' on Netflix. From listening to the audio, and not watching, he seems more comfortable in his role.

On a human level, I really enjoy his interactions with his parents.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #93 - July 8th, 2018, 10:29 pm
    Post #93 - July 8th, 2018, 10:29 pm Post #93 - July 8th, 2018, 10:29 pm
    Hi- There is going to be a new series hosted by Marcus Samuelsson called No Passport Required, that is going to premier on Tuesday 7/10 at 9:00pm, on Channel 11. The show on 7/24 is going to center on Chicago. The first show this Tuesday is going to focus on Middle Eastern restaurants in Detroit. He is also visiting New Orleans, Miami, DC, and Queens. It is a six part series. It looks interesting.

https://www.pbs.org/food/features/no-pa ... -1-cities/
    Last edited by NFriday on July 11th, 2018, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #94 - July 10th, 2018, 10:35 am
    Post #94 - July 10th, 2018, 10:35 am Post #94 - July 10th, 2018, 10:35 am
    I want to remind people that Marcus Samuelsson's new show No Passport Required is premiering tonight at 9:00pm on WTTW.
    Last edited by NFriday on July 11th, 2018, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #95 - July 10th, 2018, 11:26 am
    Post #95 - July 10th, 2018, 11:26 am Post #95 - July 10th, 2018, 11:26 am
    I've been enjoying 2 shows that appear on the Japanese news and information channel, NHK World (377 on my Comcast) . . .

Lunch ON! and Trails to Tsukiji

Lunch ON! focuses on workplaces and their lunch traditions. There's generally quite a bit of information about the work itself and also plenty of specific details about the lunches and how those lunch traditions came to be -- often they are intertwined with the work itself. The show provides a fascinating and informative cross-sectional view of everyday Japanese culture from an interesting and unique perspective. I've seen episodes that showcased garbage collectors and artisanal charcoal makers, just to name a couple.

Trails to Tsukiji dedicates its entire 30-minute episodes to single ingredients that can be found at Tokyo's famed Tsukiji market. Subjects range from specific kinds fish and seafood to all sorts of produce. The show focuses on how the item is typically found and sold at the market and then follows its trail to see how and where it is caught or grown, how it is often prepared, how specialty establishments serve it and more. I've seen episodes on everything from Monkfish to Wasabi and they're all compelling.

If you have access to this channel and you're into Japanese food and culture, I highly recommend these 2 programs. Some episodes are available to stream online, so you don't necessarily even need the channel to view them. In any event, it's some great, highly informative, detailed content that you won't find anywhere else.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #96 - July 10th, 2018, 11:59 am
    Post #96 - July 10th, 2018, 11:59 am Post #96 - July 10th, 2018, 11:59 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I've been enjoying 2 shows that appear on the Japanese news and information channel, NHK World (377 on my Comcast) . . .

Lunch ON! and Trails to Tsukiji

Lunch ON! focuses on workplaces and their lunch traditions. There's generally quite a bit of information about the work itself and also plenty of specific details about the lunches and how those lunch traditions came to be -- often they are intertwined with the work itself. The show provides a fascinating and informative cross-sectional view of everyday Japanese culture from an interesting and unique perspective. I've seen episodes that showcased garbage collectors and artisanal charcoal makers, just to name a couple.

Trails to Tsukiji dedicates its entire 30-minute episodes to single ingredients that can be found at Tokyo's famed Tsukiji market. Subjects range from specific kinds fish and seafood to all sorts of produce. The show focuses on how the item is typically found and sold at the market and then follows its trail to see how and where it is caught or grown, how it is often prepared, how specialty establishments serve it and more. I've seen episodes on everything from Monkfish to Wasabi and they're all compelling.

If you have access to this channel and you're into Japanese food and culture, I highly recommend these 2 programs. Some episodes are available to stream online, so you don't necessarily even need the channel to view them. In any event, it's some great, highly informative, detailed content that you won't find anywhere else.

=R=

Before my Tokyo trip a couple years back, I started watching trails to tsukiji as I digested any sort of Japanese food media. Really enjoyed the show and provided a ton of detail on each ingredient!
  • Post #97 - July 10th, 2018, 11:08 pm
    Post #97 - July 10th, 2018, 11:08 pm Post #97 - July 10th, 2018, 11:08 pm
    I'm sorry that I made a mistake. The link that I gave to No Passport Required said the program was on at 8:00pm, but it was on at 9:00pm on WTTW tonight. Did anybody else see it? I thought it was good. Marcus Samuelsson visited Detroit and Dearborn tonight and looked into Arab culture and food in those two cities. There are tons of Arab people in Dearborn, and there are quite a few in Detroit too. He visited Arab restaurants and homes in both Detroit and Dearborn. They are going to rebroadcast the show several times this week on Prime.
    Last edited by NFriday on July 11th, 2018, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #98 - July 11th, 2018, 7:44 am
    Post #98 - July 11th, 2018, 7:44 am Post #98 - July 11th, 2018, 7:44 am
    NFriday wrote:I'm sorry that I made a mistake. The link that I gave to No Reservations Needed said the program was on at 8:00pm, but it was on at 9:00pm on WTTW tonight.

Please note the name of the program is No Passport Required.
    Samuelsson's focus seems to be on immigrant cuisine within the U.S. I like the concept of an immigrant chef celebrating immigrant culture.
    I enjoyed the Detroit episode and the way it looked at the similarities and differences among Iraqi, Syrian, and Lebanese cuisines. I did get a chuckle out of how Marcus likes to show off his fashion sense.
  • Post #99 - July 19th, 2018, 7:54 am
    Post #99 - July 19th, 2018, 7:54 am Post #99 - July 19th, 2018, 7:54 am
    Hi,

This week's episode of No Passport Required on the Vietnamese community in New Orleans was quite exciting with new information to chew on.

They compared Vietnam with New Orleans as both having tropical climates and French influences on their culture and cuisine.

One vignette was a gas station where they offered Poor Boys and Bahm Mi. Over time, the customers want fried shrimp in their Bahn Mi and Vietnamese fixings on their Poor Boys. Now it is a mashup they offer.

In these two episodes, he ends up at a family dinner eating food not necessarily offered in their restaurants. Home cooked food is revered every time.

They go to Chicago next week for Mexican food.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #100 - July 24th, 2018, 5:27 am
    Post #100 - July 24th, 2018, 5:27 am Post #100 - July 24th, 2018, 5:27 am
    I got turned onto the web series The Katering Show and it's funny as hell

http://thekateringshow.com/episodes/
    WARNING: LOTS of swearing
  • Post #101 - July 25th, 2018, 6:41 am
    Post #101 - July 25th, 2018, 6:41 am Post #101 - July 25th, 2018, 6:41 am
    The Samuelsson episode on Chicago last night was okay. It was nice to see that he latched on to Mi Tocaya (which has been a favorite of mine for a while) and featured its beverage director in addition to Diana Davila, and later Carlos Gaytan of the now-closed Mexique. Food bits were the best, but superficial. The social commentary was uneven and Samuelsson's 5 or 6 costume changes were distracting. I really wanted to like it more but it doesn't break any new ground and does what's already out there - just a little more awkwardly. Bourdain and Zimmern did it better and even Phil Rosenthal is hitting his (shticky "Idiot Abroad") stride in his new round of shows.
  • Post #102 - July 25th, 2018, 1:15 pm
    Post #102 - July 25th, 2018, 1:15 pm Post #102 - July 25th, 2018, 1:15 pm
    I agree the Chicago episode was not as engaging as the Detroit and NOLA entries. Might be because we are more familiar with the territory and less likely to be impressed by his choices and insights. Looking forward to the next episode featuring Indian food in Queens.

Buddy
  • Post #103 - July 25th, 2018, 1:40 pm
    Post #103 - July 25th, 2018, 1:40 pm Post #103 - July 25th, 2018, 1:40 pm
    I did not care as much for the Chicago episode. I am surprised he did not talk much about Pilsen. I also thought he spent too much time talking about the problems the dreamers are experiencing, and gang problems, and not enough time talking about food.
  • Post #104 - November 14th, 2018, 9:30 am
    Post #104 - November 14th, 2018, 9:30 am Post #104 - November 14th, 2018, 9:30 am
    "Chickenwatch"

Amazon Prime. I can't even explain what these people are doing. Apparently, it's about different cultures' fried chicken preps, and two guys essentially vlogging about each place they visit and cutting to scenes with them rapping about it - one of the guys has a look reminiscent of Flight Of The Concords...ISH, which is making me draw a comparison to that show in the way they are doing it - just with less production value. I'm not sure they are funny, but it's making me laugh - if that makes any sense. They are definitely trying to be funny.

Two white guys rapping about fried chicken styles. I think I'ma watch this whole series.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #105 - November 29th, 2018, 6:39 am
    Post #105 - November 29th, 2018, 6:39 am Post #105 - November 29th, 2018, 6:39 am
    Didn't see it mentioned, but I just finished the Netflix Original four part series Salt Fat Acid Heat. The series is adapted from the #1 best selling, James Beard award winning book written by Samin Nosrat.
    In the series Nostrat brings her book to life traveling to Italy, Japan, and the Yucatan to show different sources and types of these elements and how each of them can be used to enhance the culinary experience. I learned much from the series and thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful scenery.
    I would highly recommend this series to those of you who have not seen it.
    "I drink to make other people more interesting."
    Ernest Hemingway
  • Post #106 - December 6th, 2018, 12:38 pm
    Post #106 - December 6th, 2018, 12:38 pm Post #106 - December 6th, 2018, 12:38 pm
    Watched a few episodes of Final Table on Netflix last week with Andrew Knowlton from Bon Appetit. Has a bit of the schticky TV competition tropes (especially the "I'm going to put my own cultural spin on someone else's cultural dish"), but the last part of each episode, where the bottom three teams compete and are judged by a chef, is pretty good.
  • Post #107 - January 11th, 2019, 5:57 am
    Post #107 - January 11th, 2019, 5:57 am Post #107 - January 11th, 2019, 5:57 am
    There is a new season of 24 Hours to Hell and Back on Fox right now on Wednesday evenings at 7:00. So far Gordon has helped out another restaurant in New Orleans and one in Allentown Pennsylvania. At the Allentown restaurant he actually dealt with a chef who swore more than he did, and he had to tell her to lay off the swearing.
  • Post #108 - April 1st, 2019, 8:31 pm
    Post #108 - April 1st, 2019, 8:31 pm Post #108 - April 1st, 2019, 8:31 pm
    Cathy2

• Post #109 - April 1st, 2019, 9:23 pm
    Post #109 - April 1st, 2019, 9:23 pm Post #109 - April 1st, 2019, 9:23 pm
    Oh wow! I love Liberace and cooking shows! What a great find!
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #110 - April 19th, 2019, 8:59 am
    Post #110 - April 19th, 2019, 8:59 am Post #110 - April 19th, 2019, 8:59 am
    Not sure if this belongs here but Netflix has a new series premiering April 26th called "Street Food" it really doesn't indicate if it will be an ongoing series however the trailer on their site highlights Asia.
    "I drink to make other people more interesting."
    Ernest Hemingway
  • Post #111 - April 19th, 2019, 10:59 am
    Post #111 - April 19th, 2019, 10:59 am Post #111 - April 19th, 2019, 10:59 am
    Chaoshan cuisine on netflix was good
  • Post #112 - April 27th, 2019, 2:35 pm
    Post #112 - April 27th, 2019, 2:35 pm Post #112 - April 27th, 2019, 2:35 pm
    Marshall K wrote:Not sure if this belongs here but Netflix has a new series premiering April 26th called "Street Food" it really doesn't indicate if it will be an ongoing series however the trailer on their site highlights Asia.

Just started watching this series. Good stuff. Thanks for the heads up.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #113 - April 29th, 2019, 12:55 pm
    Post #113 - April 29th, 2019, 12:55 pm Post #113 - April 29th, 2019, 12:55 pm
    Marshall K wrote:Not sure if this belongs here but Netflix has a new series premiering April 26th called "Street Food" it really doesn't indicate if it will be an ongoing series however the trailer on their site highlights Asia.

It's from the Chef's Table team and partly a response to the criticism they received for a lack of diversity. A nice concise package of street food history in a region, the must-try dishes and a focus on a local with a vision and a good backstory. It's a rags to less-rags perspective, nobody's getting rich off these food shops/stalls but they provide an improved quality of life.
  • Post #114 - April 29th, 2019, 1:06 pm
    Post #114 - April 29th, 2019, 1:06 pm Post #114 - April 29th, 2019, 1:06 pm
    i enjoyed it^
  • Post #115 - April 29th, 2019, 2:11 pm
    Post #115 - April 29th, 2019, 2:11 pm Post #115 - April 29th, 2019, 2:11 pm
    Forged In Fire on History Channel can only be considered a cooking show in the very loosest sense . . . and yet, I think that after recently watching all eight episodes of Season 1 (2015), I'm now hooked. It's essentially an edged weapon-making competition reality show structured nearly identically to Chopped which, come to think of it, would have been a great name for this show (but I guess it was taken).

Where FiF intersects with cooking is that some of the competing bladesmiths make their livings creating culinary blades, are former cooks/chefs, and that many of the tests their weapons are put to involve hacking food in one form or another (e.g. coconut chops, slicing through whole sides of beef, animal ribs of all sorts). I'm guessing that at some point, the competition may involve culinary knives but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

I believe it's currently in Season 6 on History, though most (all?) of the previous seasons are available via streaming on Amazon Prime and also on Comcast On-Demand.

=R=
  • Post #116 - April 29th, 2019, 9:08 pm
    Post #116 - April 29th, 2019, 9:08 pm Post #116 - April 29th, 2019, 9:08 pm
    Bumped into Penny Pinching Granny on youtube:

Cathy2

• Post #117 - June 16th, 2019, 7:46 am
    Post #117 - June 16th, 2019, 7:46 am Post #117 - June 16th, 2019, 7:46 am
    Just binged through all 8 episodes of the Chef Show on Netflix. Revolves around Jon Favreau and Roy Choi cooking a bunch foods from the movie as well as other stuff.

One of the most enjoyable cooking shows I've watched. Highly recommend
  • Post #118 - June 16th, 2019, 8:27 am
    Post #118 - June 16th, 2019, 8:27 am Post #118 - June 16th, 2019, 8:27 am
    WhyBeeSea wrote:Just binged through all 8 episodes of the Chef Show on Netflix. Revolves around Jon Favreau and Roy Choi cooking a bunch foods from the movie as well as other stuff.

Very cool show. Favreau is self-effacing & engaging, and the talented Choi is a perfect sidekick. Because of their relationship from the movie 'Chef'--see it now if you haven't--they're very comfortable together, finishing each other's sentences with constant needling.

One episode, they made beignets, using the common Cafe du Monde mix you see in every supermarket. Favreau executed the recipe without error, ate a couple, thought them fine. Then Choi tasted one and exclaimed, "these things are stale!'. Favreau looked at the box, and sure enough the date was expired. They laughed like hell, and it was left in the show to boot.
  • Post #119 - July 2nd, 2019, 11:13 pm
    Post #119 - July 2nd, 2019, 11:13 pm Post #119 - July 2nd, 2019, 11:13 pm
    jnm123 wrote:
    WhyBeeSea wrote:Just binged through all 8 episodes of the Chef Show on Netflix. Revolves around Jon Favreau and Roy Choi cooking a bunch foods from the movie as well as other stuff.

Very cool show. Favreau is self-effacing & engaging, and the talented Choi is a perfect sidekick. Because of their relationship from the movie 'Chef'--see it now if you haven't--they're very comfortable together, finishing each other's sentences with constant needling.

One episode, they made beignets, using the common Cafe du Monde mix you see in every supermarket. Favreau executed the recipe without error, ate a couple, thought them fine. Then Choi tasted one and exclaimed, "these things are stale!'. Favreau looked at the box, and sure enough the date was expired. They laughed like hell, and it was left in the show to boot.

The show is excellent and Favreau is undeniably charming. His passion really shines through. He's a multi-faceted artist and his prodigious abilities seem to extend quite naturally into the culinary arena.

As for the beignets, in Episode 3 there's a reprise in which it's made pretty clear that it was their own damned fault for using mix that was past its expiration date (Favreau admits that it was in a box of leftover props from the filming of Chef). So, armed with some fresh mix provided by the folks at Cafe Du Monde, they go at it again with improved results.

You know, after 20+ years of avidly reading and watching just about all outlets and forms of food media, I rarely feel a sense of envy anymore. Very little moves the needle for me but watching this show definitely does. Just seeing the access Favreau has to follow his passion is inspirational. And he doesn't blow the opportunity. Instead, he seems to genuinely relish and appreciate it, exactly as many of us would. That makes the show very fun to watch.

=R=
  • Post #120 - July 3rd, 2019, 7:38 am
    Post #120 - July 3rd, 2019, 7:38 am Post #120 - July 3rd, 2019, 7:38 am
    I agree -- it's Favreau that makes it work. He's a very different personality from the attitude of Bourdain: he's got a joy of learning and watching (which is probably why he's a decent director) and seems generally fun to be around.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more