• Post #61 - June 13th, 2007, 12:53 pm
    Post #61 - June 13th, 2007, 12:53 pm Post #61 - June 13th, 2007, 12:53 pm
    My faves would have to be:

Tampopo
    Delicatessen
    Woman on Top
    Like Water for Chocolate

Simply Irresistible
    very similar to LW4chocolate, but it has patricia clarkson & that dreamy Sean Patrick Flanery
  • Post #62 - June 13th, 2007, 4:04 pm
    Post #62 - June 13th, 2007, 4:04 pm Post #62 - June 13th, 2007, 4:04 pm
    I re-post into the yawning abyss:

from Jan. 7, 07

Parents
    Trouble Everyday
    Delicatessen
    Cannibal Ferox
    Cannibal Holocaust
    Make Them Die Slowly
    The Romero Trilogy("Land" was crap imo)
    Mondo films

etc

extra special mention to the dinner scenes in Salo and Dead Alive
  • Post #63 - June 13th, 2007, 4:12 pm
    Post #63 - June 13th, 2007, 4:12 pm Post #63 - June 13th, 2007, 4:12 pm
    Cannibal Ferox is Make Them Die Slowly, you know.

Circa 1985 in Wichita, the K-42 drive-in used to show the trailer for this, I don't think they ever actually showed the movie but they'd play the trailer every week, so that cars driving by would get a sudden glimpse of the most gruesome acts (and the trailer was very explicit-- the ones on YouTube lack some of the most grisly special effects I remember) 60 feet high as they whizzed by. Dozens of accidents must have been caused...
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #64 - June 13th, 2007, 4:12 pm
    Post #64 - June 13th, 2007, 4:12 pm Post #64 - June 13th, 2007, 4:12 pm
    ahhh...how could I forget!?

Texas Chainsaw Massacre's 1 and 2(the further sequels are terrible...only 4 is quasi-notable for early appearences by the tabloid-friendly, naked, potsmoking, bongo-playing Matthew McConaughey and Renee Zellweger)

and by TCM 1&2 I mean the original Tobe Hooper's..not the ass, WB-esque remake/prequel

I, personally, would love a taste of that winning chili recipe.
    Last edited by Christopher Gordon on June 13th, 2007, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie
  • Post #65 - June 13th, 2007, 4:15 pm
    Post #65 - June 13th, 2007, 4:15 pm Post #65 - June 13th, 2007, 4:15 pm
    Mike G wrote:Cannibal Ferox is Make Them Die Slowly, you know.

Circa 1985 in Wichita, the K-42 drive-in used to show the trailer for this, I don't think they ever actually showed the movie but they'd play the trailer every week, so that cars driving by would get a sudden glimpse of the most gruesome acts (and the trailer was very explicit-- the ones on YouTube lack some of the most grisly special effects I remember) 60 feet high as they whizzed by. Dozens of accidents must have been caused...

:(

I figured I might be doubling up. I'm a longtime fan, but not a "superfan" as some tend to be in that world.

Exploring refractive Italo-splatter, films go by many names and cuts. But thanks for clearing that one up.

it always stands to be said that many of these gore epics found infamy through depictions of animal cruelty

also often featured in mondo films
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie
  • Post #66 - June 18th, 2007, 12:34 pm
    Post #66 - June 18th, 2007, 12:34 pm Post #66 - June 18th, 2007, 12:34 pm
    OK you Hell's Kitchens fans, and you know who you are, grab some kids and go to Ratatouiile June 29. The theatre was full for the sneak preview and though the kids laughed, the adults laughed harder. I thought the Pixar animation was exceptional. The movie makes Paris much more inviting than "Paris, Je T'Aime.

I won't give anything away, but Remy the rat finds his surroundings change from sewer to elegant restaurant. Many of the characters have a strong connection between food, emotions and memories. My favorite character was the restaurant critic, I loved his review, especially the last one.

On a side note, about Mostly Martha (I'll be surprised if the remake is any good, saw the previews), does anyone know how/where to get the soundtrack? I really enjoyed the music in that film.
  • Post #67 - June 18th, 2007, 12:59 pm
    Post #67 - June 18th, 2007, 12:59 pm Post #67 - June 18th, 2007, 12:59 pm
    janeyb wrote:On a side note, about Mostly Martha (I'll be surprised if the remake is any good, saw the previews), does anyone know how/where to get the soundtrack? I really enjoyed the music in that film.

Apparently there's never been an OST for Mostly Martha. However, someone at amazon has created a handy list with all the albums you need to buy to assemble the soundtrack on your own.

Looking for the soundtrack to "Mostly Martha"
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #68 - October 5th, 2007, 9:24 pm
    Post #68 - October 5th, 2007, 9:24 pm Post #68 - October 5th, 2007, 9:24 pm
    A friend and I recently caught Jeff Garlin and Sarah Silverman in "I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With." I enjoyed Garlin as a Chicago actor in a slump, as well as the Chicago locations where the film was made. From a food point of view, Garlin's character is not so much into good cheese as he is into convenience store pudding, but anyone who has found comfort in food can relate to his character. Silverman's character, on the other hand, is just nuts, much like her standup persona. Her humor makes Howard Stern seem mainstream, because somehow she's kinda sweet and really really scary at the same time. The movie's ending is oddly tacked on, as if they ran out of money and time, but Garlin gets the normal but lonely girl played by Bonnie Hunt, and we are all happy for them. This movie made me laugh a lot.
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #69 - October 5th, 2007, 11:20 pm
    Post #69 - October 5th, 2007, 11:20 pm Post #69 - October 5th, 2007, 11:20 pm
    Josephine wrote:A friend and I recently caught Jeff Garlin and Sarah Silverman in "I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With." I enjoyed Garlin as a Chicago actor in a slump, as well as the Chicago locations where the film was made.

Line Producer on this film was Chicago food writer Misty Tosh, who sometimes posts here as, I think, MST.

Another great food movie coming up: "Sweeney Todd," with a singing Johnny Depp as title character.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #70 - October 20th, 2007, 1:25 pm
    Post #70 - October 20th, 2007, 1:25 pm Post #70 - October 20th, 2007, 1:25 pm
    David Hammond wrote:Another great food movie coming up: "Sweeney Todd," with a singing Johnny Depp as title character.

Not much of a stretch from "Edward Scissorhands" to the demon barber of Fleet Street.
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #71 - October 20th, 2007, 1:31 pm
    Post #71 - October 20th, 2007, 1:31 pm Post #71 - October 20th, 2007, 1:31 pm
    David Hammond wrote:
    Josephine wrote:A friend and I recently caught Jeff Garlin and Sarah Silverman in "I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With." I enjoyed Garlin as a Chicago actor in a slump, as well as the Chicago locations where the film was made.

Line Producer on this film was Chicago food writer Misty Tosh, who sometimes posts here as, I think, MST.

Another great food movie coming up: "Sweeney Todd," with a singing Johnny Depp as title character.
    I am going to try and keep an open mind about Sweeney Todd with Depp, but uniformly these types of movies seem to be terrible. Alan Rickman should be great as Judge Turpin, but man I love this music. Really its George Hern and Angela Lansberry who are the best in this.
    is making all his reservations under the name Steve Plotnicki from now on.
  • Post #72 - October 21st, 2007, 9:41 pm
    Post #72 - October 21st, 2007, 9:41 pm Post #72 - October 21st, 2007, 9:41 pm
    jpschust wrote:
    David Hammond wrote:

I am going to try and keep an open mind about Sweeney Todd with Depp, but uniformly these types of movies seem to be terrible. Alan Rickman should be great as Judge Turpin, but man I love this music. Really its George Hern and Angela Lansberry who are the best in this.

I had the LP of the Hearn/Lansberry production (and saw Lansberry as Lovett in Chicago in '82 or -- Chicago mourned not getting Cariou) -- but there are a lot of intriguing personalities who've taken on these roles (e.g., Kingsley/Lumley), so I'm way open to to Depp's take.

On another note, I'm surprised no one has commented yet on the detailed deathbed discussion of BBQ techniques near the end of Tarantino's "Planet Terror."
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #73 - October 21st, 2007, 10:20 pm
    Post #73 - October 21st, 2007, 10:20 pm Post #73 - October 21st, 2007, 10:20 pm
    "Spanglish" borders on being a foodie movie. Adam Sandler's character is a chef about to get his fourth star. Thomas Keller taught Sandler how to cook, designed the movie's now-famous sandwich (which has apparently become a Keller favorite, if blogs can be believed) -- and I can't find it on any web site, but I thought the movie credits mentioned Keller appearing in the kitchen during a busy evening in the movie's restaurant. But anyway, Keller was involved, the sandwich looks amazing, and food is at least an important part of the film, if not the sole focus.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #74 - October 22nd, 2007, 6:31 am
    Post #74 - October 22nd, 2007, 6:31 am Post #74 - October 22nd, 2007, 6:31 am
    Cynthia wrote:"Spanglish" borders on being a foodie movie. Adam Sandler's character is a chef about to get his fourth star. Thomas Keller taught Sandler how to cook, designed the movie's now-famous sandwich (which has apparently become a Keller favorite, if blogs can be believed) -- and I can't find it on any web site, but I thought the movie credits mentioned Keller appearing in the kitchen during a busy evening in the movie's restaurant. But anyway, Keller was involved, the sandwich looks amazing, and food is at least an important part of the film, if not the sole focus.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1899576/
    is making all his reservations under the name Steve Plotnicki from now on.
  • Post #75 - October 23rd, 2007, 10:14 am
    Post #75 - October 23rd, 2007, 10:14 am Post #75 - October 23rd, 2007, 10:14 am
    I saw a blurb on the bus TV yesterday about the upcoming release of How to Cook Your Life. Here's the synopsis from IMDb:

This documentary profiles Zen Master Edward Espe Brown and shows the art of Zen and cooking. Espe Brown first became interested in baking as an 11-year kid when he realized the startling difference between mass-produced supermarket bread and the fresh homemade stuff. When he asked his mother to teach him how to bake, however, she said "No, yeast makes me nervous."

Brown became the head cook at the Tassajara Mountain Centre in California when he was in his early 20s, and has been practicing the art of Zen Buddhism and cooking for more than 40 years. As a chef, he is typically short-tempered and exacting, but as a Buddhist master he is exactly the opposite. Director Dörrie (Men, Naked) sets her camera on Espe Brown as he travels from the Scheibbs Buddhist Centre in Austria to Tassajara, offering cooking seminars based upon the principles established 800 years ago by Master Eihei Dogen Zenji, the founder of the Japanese Soto-Zen school. Master Dogen wrote about the necessity of treating food as if it was as valuable as your eyesight. From washing rice, to preparing vegetables, every action could be a path to Zen. Or as the master said, "When you're washing the rice, wash the rice." A charming taskmaster who regularly punctures his holiness with moments of self-deprecation and humour, Espe Brown's observations on modern culture, cooking and human foibles are often as acerbic and hilarious as they are profound.
  • Post #76 - October 23rd, 2007, 10:20 am
    Post #76 - October 23rd, 2007, 10:20 am Post #76 - October 23rd, 2007, 10:20 am
    This is my idea of Sweeney Todd. No, not Bryn Terfel (though he was quite good too). Tod Slaughter, possessor of the best and most infectious maniacal laugh in film history.
  • Post #77 - July 5th, 2008, 7:18 am
    Post #77 - July 5th, 2008, 7:18 am Post #77 - July 5th, 2008, 7:18 am
    I was going to see Le Grand Chef (2007) at the Fantasia Film Festival in Montréal, but the screening time didn't work out for me. I'm not familiar with the Manga series that inspired the film, and the reviews of the movie I scanned quickly are tepid, but it might be worth watching nonetheless. The screening at the Fantasia Festival is supposed to be the North American premiere, and I couldn't find right away when the film might screen in Chicago, but it looks like one can watch the entire movie (in 12 parts) on YouTube. I haven't had the time to watch it myself, but the opening sashimi-ing sequence suggests that there might be some compelling (?) food footage in the movie.

Synopsis from the Fantasia Festival web site:

A young, incredibly talented chef quits the profession after a contest to head a world-class restaurant ends in tragedy. Retiring to a small rural town with his grandfather, he finds a new and more peaceful existence, working as a farmer and selling vegetables at the local market. Even though content in his new life, when a nationwide cooking competition offers him the chance to take on his long-time rival, Seong-Chan embarks on a journey that will forever change his view of the world and lead him to the most startling revelations. Surrounding himself with a ragtag crew of misfits, each with his own poignant story to tell, he is soon in the media spotlight, facing stiff competition from the other contestants while dealing with his grandfather’s diminishing faculties and a long buried family secret. Seong-Chan can only struggle to overcome every adversity with a quiet dignity.

Based on a popular manga series that began in 2002, LE GRAND CHEF is a heart-warming tale about friendship, family and loyalty that will both bring a tear to your eye and have you rocking with laughter. The movie’s bright, pop-art colour scheme and the occasional use of split-screen reminds one of its origins and makes the movie a visual feast equal to its subject matter. There’s real chemistry between the actors—you would be hard pressed to find a more likable cast. The multiple subplots, rather than confusing and distracting from the main narrative, only serve to enrich the experience when the many storylines converge at the film’s climax. The cooking competitions depicted in the movie reveal the beauty and elegance of the art. Fantasia recommends that you do not eat prior to viewing LE GRAND CHEF—a fine meal after this movie will almost certainly be twice as enjoyable!

—Robert Guillemette
  • Post #78 - October 18th, 2008, 4:44 pm
    Post #78 - October 18th, 2008, 4:44 pm Post #78 - October 18th, 2008, 4:44 pm
    Boot Cake

I just saw a great little film at the Chicago International Film Festival by Australian Kathryn Millard. Boot Cake is a documentary about a group of ardent Charlie Chaplin fans in the small town of Adipur, Gujarat, India. The premise of the film is that the director has been invited by the "Charlie Circle" to their annual celebration and parade for Chaplin's birthday. She's been asked to bring a boot-shaped cake, in homage of the famous boot-eating scene in Gold Rush (1925). The film is mainly about the culture of the Charlie Circle, but there are a few memorable scenes with pastry chefs (and a licorice extract purveyor) in which they discuss how they would form a boot-shaped cake. This movie made me laugh out loud--sweet but not saccharine.
  • Post #79 - December 22nd, 2008, 11:28 pm
    Post #79 - December 22nd, 2008, 11:28 pm Post #79 - December 22nd, 2008, 11:28 pm
    I realized that I now can't get past a Thanksgiving without thinking of The Ice Storm. The movie is set around Thanksgiving in the Seventies and shows the rather twisted interactions of two families. Food prep, dinner, and cleanup figure prominently in the movie. The cast (including a young Elijah Wood for LOTR fans) is phenomenal. It's one of my favorites.
    "things like being careful with your coriander/ that's what makes the gravy grander" - Sondheim
  • Post #80 - January 26th, 2009, 12:08 am
    Post #80 - January 26th, 2009, 12:08 am Post #80 - January 26th, 2009, 12:08 am
    Food in Movies

Over the holidays, I watched (or more correctly listened to ...) movies while baking and cooking. Two movies had pretty strong food elements in them:

Lilies of Field with Sidney Poitier

While the nuns shared their table with him, it was very meager: dinner of an egg, slice of bread and milk. While the nuns went to services, Schmidt's joy ordering an expansive breakfast was over the moon. A part time job to raise cash to tide things over allowed him to buy groceries. The nuns were like little children checking his supply boxes and thrilled to lollipop ribbons. The Mexicans who came to help raise the chapel roasted whole animals over a spit for barbacoa.

Christmas in Connecticut with Barbara Stanwyck

Journalist Elizabeth Lane is one of the country's most famous food writer. In her columns, she describes herself as a hard working farm woman, taking care of her children and being an excellent cook. But this is all lies. In reality she is an umarried New Yorker who can't even boil an egg. The recipes come from her good friend Felix. The owner of the magazine she works for has decided that a heroic sailor will spend his christmas on *her* farm. Miss Lane knows that her career is over if the truth comes out, but what can she do?

Entire movie is on youtube starting here.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #81 - February 14th, 2009, 1:38 pm
    Post #81 - February 14th, 2009, 1:38 pm Post #81 - February 14th, 2009, 1:38 pm
    One thing that bugs me about foodie films is when the world revolves around food so completely that it seems unnatural. That may seem odd coming from someone whose world plainly does revolve around food, but in some of these movies it just seems forced, when food is so completely the music of love or whatever. I want to see the role food plays in life, not a life in which food seems to be playing every role.

There's an excellent example of the kind of foodie film I like in theaters right now, though you'd never guess it: Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino. As you may know, it's basically Clint's version of The Karate Kid, grouchy, bigoted old Korean War vet living in neighborhood surrounded by Hmong becomes something of a father figure and something of a protector to the Hmong kid next door. And what was striking and completely believable to me is that food is the thing that first breaks down the barriers between Clint and his neighbors (who are initially no more fond of the last white guy in their neighborhood than he is of all the Asians taking over his neighborhood). The movie begins with gatherings at both houses, in which food plays a natural role-- and you can almost see him thinking theirs looks better than his. When he scares off some toughs threatening them, they bring him gifts of food, which he initially tries to reject but soon has to admit smells and tastes better than the single-guy dinners (a pack of beef jerky and a six pack) he's living on. At a party, he breaks down their barriers by being a cheerful and appreciative guest for the clearly competitive ladies pushing their food on him in the kitchen. And so on. There are no extravagant poetics about food here, indeed the role food plays is hardly even discussed explicitly, but it proves to be a natural and realistic picture of how food is almost always the first avenue of communication and exchange between strange cultures.
  • Post #82 - February 15th, 2009, 2:56 pm
    Post #82 - February 15th, 2009, 2:56 pm Post #82 - February 15th, 2009, 2:56 pm
    Mike G wrote:There's an excellent example of the kind of foodie film I like in theaters right now, though you'd never guess it: Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino.
    I'm kicking myself now because I meant to write this up after I saw Gran Torino but forgot to do it. Maybe that's a good thing since your writeup was much more eloquent than mine would have been.
    "things like being careful with your coriander/ that's what makes the gravy grander" - Sondheim
  • Post #83 - February 15th, 2009, 3:20 pm
    Post #83 - February 15th, 2009, 3:20 pm Post #83 - February 15th, 2009, 3:20 pm
    grits wrote:
    Mike G wrote:There's an excellent example of the kind of foodie film I like in theaters right now, though you'd never guess it: Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino.
    I'm kicking myself now because I meant to write this up after I saw Gran Torino but forgot to do it. Maybe that's a good thing since your writeup was much more eloquent than mine would have been.

Every thoughtful contribution is worthy.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #84 - February 15th, 2009, 4:17 pm
    Post #84 - February 15th, 2009, 4:17 pm Post #84 - February 15th, 2009, 4:17 pm
    Just saw Bottle Shock last night and loved it!
    What a fun film and nice companion piece to Sideways...
    talk about a great doubleheader!

This film covers the "Judgement of Paris" in 1976 when 2 California wines took 1st place in a blind tasting against French wines and stunned the wine world.

Alan Rickman is an absolute delight, Chris Pine's wig is delightfully awful-
    (award for worst fake hair ever)
    Freddy Rodriguez absolutely shines as Gustavo Brambilla!

It made even an ABC drinker like me want to go out and get a bottle of Chateau Montelene Chardonnay, not to mention the Stag's Leap Cabernet Sauvignon!
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #85 - February 16th, 2009, 8:33 pm
    Post #85 - February 16th, 2009, 8:33 pm Post #85 - February 16th, 2009, 8:33 pm
    irisarbor wrote:Just saw Bottle Shock last night and loved it!
    Alan Rickman is an absolute delight...Freddy Rodriguez absolutely shines as Gustavo Brambilla!
    Alan Rickman and Freddy Rodriguez? I'm in. They're both always good.

If you like Freddy Rodriquez, be sure to check out Bobby where he played a kitchen worker in the Ambassador Hotel. His part is fairly large.
  • Post #86 - February 16th, 2009, 8:35 pm
    Post #86 - February 16th, 2009, 8:35 pm Post #86 - February 16th, 2009, 8:35 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    grits wrote:
    Every thoughtful contribution is worthy.
    Still waiting for a bite on The Ice Storm though. :wink:
  • Post #87 - September 30th, 2009, 12:20 pm
    Post #87 - September 30th, 2009, 12:20 pm Post #87 - September 30th, 2009, 12:20 pm
    grits wrote:
    irisarbor wrote:Just saw Bottle Shock last night and loved it!
    Alan Rickman is an absolute delight...Freddy Rodriguez absolutely shines as Gustavo Brambilla!
    Alan Rickman and Freddy Rodriguez? I'm in. They're both always good.

If you like Freddy Rodriquez, be sure to check out Bobby where he played a kitchen worker in the Ambassador Hotel. His part is fairly large.
    Bottle Shock is in rotation on Showtime right now. I only managed to watch the first ten minutes last night after recording it but it does look good. Some Chicago cred in there from Dennis Farina and Freddy Rodriguez.
  • Post #88 - October 6th, 2009, 8:53 am
    Post #88 - October 6th, 2009, 8:53 am Post #88 - October 6th, 2009, 8:53 am
    Recently had the pleasure of watching The Secret of the Grain. It's about an immigrant Arab family living in the Mediterranean coast of France. The protagonist is an unemployed shipyard worker looking to open a restaurant on a renovated boat.

The original title is La Grain et le Mulet, a reference to a well-loved family recipe of fish couscous. This couscous dish is supposedly unheard of in France and is meant to be offered as the restaurant specialty.
  • Post #89 - January 7th, 2010, 4:24 pm
    Post #89 - January 7th, 2010, 4:24 pm Post #89 - January 7th, 2010, 4:24 pm
    I just saw The Fish Fall in Love and recommend it. Also, one of my favorite food related films is Scent of Green Papaya.
    http://www.globalfilm.org/lens08/fish_fall_in_love.htm
  • Post #90 - January 7th, 2010, 5:28 pm
    Post #90 - January 7th, 2010, 5:28 pm Post #90 - January 7th, 2010, 5:28 pm
    gooseberry wrote:I just saw The Fish Fall in Love and recommend it. Also, one of my favorite food related films is Scent of Green Papaya.
    http://www.globalfilm.org/lens08/fish_fall_in_love.htm

Mentioned earlier in the thread is Eat Drink Man Woman, my favorite.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more