LTH Home

Food Trucks

Food Trucks
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - October 12th, 2011, 12:50 pm
    Post #61 - October 12th, 2011, 12:50 pm Post #61 - October 12th, 2011, 12:50 pm
    Independent George wrote:Should I give up, or are there any trucks out there which actually give a decent value? Haute Sausage parks near my office all the time - is it worth the $7 price tag?

It's pretty good, not great and you certainly won't be stuffed with just one. The sausages are about the size of a standard hotdog. They sell 1/2 portions they call shorties - I'd at least get a full sausage plus a shortie (and I'm not a real big eater).
  • Post #62 - October 12th, 2011, 2:26 pm
    Post #62 - October 12th, 2011, 2:26 pm Post #62 - October 12th, 2011, 2:26 pm
    zoid wrote:It's pretty good, not great and you certainly won't be stuffed with just one. The sausages are about the size of a standard hotdog. They sell 1/2 portions they call shorties - I'd at least get a full sausage plus a shortie (and I'm not a real big eater).

I guess that leads to the question of why, then, should anyone buy from a food truck aside from novelty?

I had such high hopes for food trucks in Chicago. On paper, the advantages of the food truck should be:

1. Lower fixed costs result in savings passed on to the consumer.
    2. Specialized offerings result in higher quality products.

In practice, what I've observed are high prices, small portions, and often inferior quality to the fast food joints one block away. What am I missing?
    "I've always thought pastrami was the most sensuous of the salted cured meats."
  • Post #63 - October 12th, 2011, 2:38 pm
    Post #63 - October 12th, 2011, 2:38 pm Post #63 - October 12th, 2011, 2:38 pm
    I'll admit for me novelty is a big part of it. I've been in the same damn building downtown for years and frankly I'll try anytying new at least once at this point. Luckily there have been new places cropping up pretty frequently as of late.

Plus I hold out hope that one day I'll stumble across something special.
  • Post #64 - October 20th, 2011, 11:08 am
    Post #64 - October 20th, 2011, 11:08 am Post #64 - October 20th, 2011, 11:08 am
    Lillie's Q now has their truck operating and is currently parking it in a parking lot at 28 N Franklin (west side, bet. Washington and Madison) for the next couple of weeks. Pulled pork or pulled chicken sandwich, choice of a sauce, and choice of slaw or baked beans, $10 including the tax.

Something they got right that is a problem for many trucks: they do not have the meat already on the bun -- the bun is saran-wrapped and the meat comes separately in a plastic tub to assemble yourself (or to ignore the bun entirely if you don't want the bun). This avoids the soggy bread issue that a fair number of food trucks seem to have.
  • Post #65 - October 23rd, 2011, 3:15 pm
    Post #65 - October 23rd, 2011, 3:15 pm Post #65 - October 23rd, 2011, 3:15 pm
    AdmVinyl wrote:Lillie's Q now has their truck operating and is currently parking it in a parking lot at 28 N Franklin (west side, bet. Washington and Madison) for the next couple of weeks. Pulled pork or pulled chicken sandwich, choice of a sauce, and choice of slaw or baked beans, $10 including the tax.

Something they got right that is a problem for many trucks: they do not have the meat already on the bun -- the bun is saran-wrapped and the meat comes separately in a plastic tub to assemble yourself (or to ignore the bun entirely if you don't want the bun). This avoids the soggy bread issue that a fair number of food trucks seem to have.

I tried Lillie's Q food truck on Friday and also enjoyed that the meat came separately packaged from the bun. Pulled pork was excellent and the Carolina vinegar sauce complimented the pork well. The bun was just ok, but not sure what else you can really do with it given the current food truck regulations. Cole slaw was decent, better on the sandwich than on its own. Will definitely be back, was the best experience I have had with food truck dining so far.
  • Post #66 - February 16th, 2012, 10:49 pm
    Post #66 - February 16th, 2012, 10:49 pm Post #66 - February 16th, 2012, 10:49 pm
    Had some Iraqi chow last night from the brand new Enemy Kitchen, a food truck staffed by US veterans of the Iraq war.

Food was served on paper reproductions of Saddam Hussein's palace china.

This is part of the Smart Museum's Feast: Radical Hospitality in Contemporary Art. This food-focused major exhibit is well worth seeing. More information on Enemy Kitchen can be found in this recent Time Out article.
  • Post #67 - November 26th, 2012, 1:44 pm
    Post #67 - November 26th, 2012, 1:44 pm Post #67 - November 26th, 2012, 1:44 pm
    Wow what exactly is that? Looks pretty good - even though I can't say I've ever tried Iraqi food.
  • Post #68 - September 7th, 2013, 7:17 pm
    Post #68 - September 7th, 2013, 7:17 pm Post #68 - September 7th, 2013, 7:17 pm
    Rene G wrote:
    Ursiform wrote:Another food truck on the way, this one serving Pasties:

http://www3.timeoutny.com/chicago/blog/ ... ort-pasty/

They can be followed on Twitter @bridgeportpasty

One day at the end of December I was hanging around in Bridgeport and lucked into meeting Jay and Carrie, owners of Bridgeport Pasty Co. I got to sample a test batch of pasties and thought they were very good. The big chunks of beef and butter crust impressed me. I look forward to following the progress of the Pastymobile. From what I understand they will have no storefront but their pasties may be available in local coffee shops etc.

Bridgeport Pasty Company
    http://bridgeportpasty.com/
    http://twitter.com/BridgeportPasty#
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bridgepor ... 5156766933

We tested 3 types of pasties from their truck at the Hideout Block Party this weekend and enjoyed all three;
    Chicken Pot Pie-- the "gravy" was solid, so was suitable for festival-style eating and didn't dribble down your arm. This one was devoured by my kid, so I didn't get a chance to try it.
    Beef and Stilton-- Big chunks of beef (as noted) and just the right amount of blue cheese (tasty but not overwhelming).
    The Oinkle-- My favorite, bits of sausage, potato, and apple. Delicious with the buttery crust.

For the crust, I can't make an informed comparison to traditional pasties, but this crust was soft and buttery, quite thick (especially around the edges)-- it was a little crisp, but not crispy, if that makes sense. Great festival food, I recommend this truck-- plus (also as noted above), all they have to do is hand you the (warm) pasty in a bag-- quick service means no long lines.

Cheers, Jen
  • Post #69 - September 24th, 2013, 9:29 am
    Post #69 - September 24th, 2013, 9:29 am Post #69 - September 24th, 2013, 9:29 am
    Trends in food trucks, via webcomic Cat and Girl
    Steakhouse > Pizza Hut > Taco Truck > Waffle Van > Dumpling Bike > Flautas Cart > Pierogi on a Roller Skate!
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #70 - July 16th, 2014, 7:46 am
    Post #70 - July 16th, 2014, 7:46 am Post #70 - July 16th, 2014, 7:46 am
    Last night Evanston's Starlight Concerts included a Food Truck Festival, with 9 trucks. When we got there about forty minutes after they opened, 5411 Empanadas was just about out, and left a few minutes later. We sampled offerings from Pierogi Wagon, Tamale Spaceship, Sweet Ride Chi (Cupcakes), and Baby Cakes.

Baby Cakes was a disappointment: Mushroom/Gorgonzola pancakes were pre-made and kept warm in a hotbox. If they'd been fresh off the griddle, I might have been impressed, but the gorgonzola wasn't particularly melty, not a lot of mushrooms. 3 mid-sized pancakes for $5.

Pierogi Wagon's offerings were very good (but a really slow line -- bring cash, people!). By the time I got to the front, they were down to just cheddar/potato and spinach/cheese (and they closed up a few minutes later). The potato ones, topped with onions, bacon and sour cream were outstanding. $8 for 6 doesn't seem to be too bad a price, except that I could have wolfed down a couple servings of this (instead of sharing with SueF). They also served a very good lemonade ($2).

Tamale Spaceship's Luchador servers were just barely faster... and they had the longest line after the Empanadas left. Two very tasty, large beef tamales with a tomatillo salsa. $8 for two big tamales with a separate tub of salsa -- an outrageous price compared to pushcart vendors, but a good deal for a downtown lunch.

Sweet Ride Chi's salted caramel cupcake was only OK at $5.

Other vendors included Chicago Cupcake, Grill Chasers, Hummingbird Kitchen, Taquero Fusion (there was one more to total 9, but I don't remember who it was). I think only Grill Chasers and Hummingbird were cooking on site, but I'm not sure even they were -- it looked like mostly precooked food all around.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #71 - August 14th, 2014, 1:08 pm
    Post #71 - August 14th, 2014, 1:08 pm Post #71 - August 14th, 2014, 1:08 pm
    I had the grilled veggies sandwich from Jack's Fork in the Road truck the other day. Described on their website as "grilled veggies with sundried-olive tapanade & goat cheese portobello, sweet pepper, zucchini, caramel onions, sundried-olive tapanade & goat cheese," it was enough to last me two lunches and was even better on the second day. Larger appetites would have no problem eating it in one sitting. They were on Wacker and Adams on Wednesday, along with Da Lobsta, La Cocinita, the Roost and Chicago Cupcake. I'll see Fork in the Road out again.
    -Mary
  • Post #72 - August 14th, 2014, 1:48 pm
    Post #72 - August 14th, 2014, 1:48 pm Post #72 - August 14th, 2014, 1:48 pm
    I've been working on a project where I try to eat at every taco truck in the City of Des Moines. There is a lot of same-ness but some good stuff is to be found if you look hard enough. There is nothing like getting birria from a renovated Winnebago on East 14th St, or maybe there is, I dunno?

ImageLa Barca Taco Truck in Des Moines, Iowa by Tyrgyzistan, on Flickr

The Taco Truck Set:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/desloines ... 016644033/
  • Post #73 - October 7th, 2015, 1:13 pm
    Post #73 - October 7th, 2015, 1:13 pm Post #73 - October 7th, 2015, 1:13 pm
    The storefront for Haute Sausage has ceased to be. It sounds like the truck is soon to follow:

-Mary
  • Post #74 - May 23rd, 2019, 8:33 am
    Post #74 - May 23rd, 2019, 8:33 am Post #74 - May 23rd, 2019, 8:33 am
    The Illinois Supreme Court ruled Thursday that Chicago’s food truck regulations are constitutional and that the city can protect restaurants from their wheeled competitors.
    The court affirmed the ruling of the appellate court and the circuit court before it, which also had decided in favor of the city in a lawsuit that claimed Chicago’s food truck restrictions suppress competition.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #75 - October 9th, 2019, 2:29 pm
    Post #75 - October 9th, 2019, 2:29 pm Post #75 - October 9th, 2019, 2:29 pm
    Chicago cupcake-maker taking food truck fight to the U.S. Supreme Court

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html
  • Post #76 - October 12th, 2019, 9:09 am
    Post #76 - October 12th, 2019, 9:09 am Post #76 - October 12th, 2019, 9:09 am
    Is there an ultimate source for Food trucks in Chicago with their schedule? I feel like I have seen a few, only to have it go by the wayside.
  • Post #77 - October 12th, 2019, 9:59 am
    Post #77 - October 12th, 2019, 9:59 am Post #77 - October 12th, 2019, 9:59 am
    jilter wrote:Is there an ultimate source for Food trucks in Chicago with their schedule? I feel like I have seen a few, only to have it go by the wayside.

Not sure how accurate or up to date this site is but it shows food trucks within your area:
    https://www.chicagofoodtruckfinder.com/
  • Post #78 - August 8th, 2021, 10:48 am
    Post #78 - August 8th, 2021, 10:48 am Post #78 - August 8th, 2021, 10:48 am
    I can’t imagine there has been too much good recent intel during the pandemic but we are looking for a mobile catering operating for an outdoor birthday party next month…ideally either a taco truck or someone who prepares Neapolitan pizzas to order.

With all the changes over the last year I’m having a tough time finding options. L’Patron has a truck and I’m waiting to hear back from them. Otherwise, has anybody had any positive recent experiences with this sort of thing? They’d need to come to Park Ridge, but I assume most city based operations would consider that.

Especially any suggestions for someone who does pizzas…I think that would be particularly good since we will have a lot of young kids at the party and cheese pizza is a universally approved kid-meal. And so far I’m coming up blank.

Thanks!
  • Post #79 - August 8th, 2021, 1:24 pm
    Post #79 - August 8th, 2021, 1:24 pm Post #79 - August 8th, 2021, 1:24 pm
    No idea if they would travel that far, but Pizzeria Deville in Libertyville has a portable wood burning oven and they make good pizza. I do not know anything about their catering operation but they used to have the oven at the Libertyville Farmers mkt. Since their restaurant is right across the street, they have just been serving from there since covid began. The portable oven is parked nearby so I know they still have it.

-Will
  • Post #80 - August 8th, 2021, 2:26 pm
    Post #80 - August 8th, 2021, 2:26 pm Post #80 - August 8th, 2021, 2:26 pm
    DClose wrote:I can’t imagine there has been too much good recent intel during the pandemic but we are looking for a mobile catering operating for an outdoor birthday party next month…ideally either a taco truck or someone who prepares Neapolitan pizzas to order.

With all the changes over the last year I’m having a tough time finding options. L’Patron has a truck and I’m waiting to hear back from them. Otherwise, has anybody had any positive recent experiences with this sort of thing? They’d need to come to Park Ridge, but I assume most city based operations would consider that.

Especially any suggestions for someone who does pizzas…I think that would be particularly good since we will have a lot of young kids at the party and cheese pizza is a universally approved kid-meal. And so far I’m coming up blank.

Thanks!

Soul & Smoke offers their food truck for events. Even if their posted menu isn't exactly what you're thinking (although I've seen young children gobble up their mac & cheese and chicken), I think it's worth a call, given that it's an offshoot of Feast & Imbibe catering so more options might be available
    https://soulandsmoke.com/food-truck
  • Post #81 - August 10th, 2021, 2:21 pm
    Post #81 - August 10th, 2021, 2:21 pm Post #81 - August 10th, 2021, 2:21 pm
    Thanks for these suggestions so far. I’m still going to shoot for pizza before branching from in other directions.

It turns out Forno Rosso does this (and they’re very close to us) but their pricing seems really steep. Maybe that’s just the cost of this sort of endeavor but I’m waiting for Pizzeria Deville to get back to me so I can compare rates a bit, even if FR arguably puts out a better overall product.

Thanks for the suggestion, WillG!
  • Post #82 - August 10th, 2021, 3:29 pm
    Post #82 - August 10th, 2021, 3:29 pm Post #82 - August 10th, 2021, 3:29 pm
    DClose wrote:I can’t imagine there has been too much good recent intel during the pandemic but we are looking for a mobile catering operating for an outdoor birthday party next month…ideally either a taco truck or someone who prepares Neapolitan pizzas to order.

Thanks!

No personal experience.

https://www.dapizzadude.com/
    -Mary
  • Post #83 - August 10th, 2021, 4:10 pm
    Post #83 - August 10th, 2021, 4:10 pm Post #83 - August 10th, 2021, 4:10 pm
    I am nit sure if they still do it, but I think Ronnie had somebody come to his house with a truck with a pizza oven that he said was really good a few years ago?
  • Post #84 - August 10th, 2021, 4:12 pm
    Post #84 - August 10th, 2021, 4:12 pm Post #84 - August 10th, 2021, 4:12 pm
    Soul and Smoke comes to the Evanston farmers market on Saturday morning, and I know they do a lot of food truck outings.
  • Post #85 - August 19th, 2021, 7:13 am
    Post #85 - August 19th, 2021, 7:13 am Post #85 - August 19th, 2021, 7:13 am
    Thanks again for all the suggestions! Getting info and the overall booking process for most of these places I checked was surprisingly antiquated and the majority of folks either didn't return my call/email or never replied to my website contact form inquiry...frustrating. For instance, Pizza Deville in Libertyville I really liked the look of and I am from Libertyville, so it would be nice to support a local place. But 3 emails to their catering person and 2 phone calls later...nada.

However, the one outfit that was EXTREMELY organized and responsive, and clearly had a system set up to field and service these sort of inquiries as a main component of their business was Grateful Bites.

The owner (I think) Matt was on top of things, got me pricing and menu options in less than 24 hours, and they have a great set of options from which to choose including a large menu of pizzas made on-site, salads, appetizers, and deserts. The event won't be for a few weeks so I'll update again but I am cautiously optimistic!

GRATEFUL BITES PIZZA SHOPPE
    899 GREEN BAY ROAD
    WINNETKA, IL, 60093
    847-386-9141
    https://www.gratefulbites.com/
  • Post #86 - April 26th, 2022, 8:02 am
    Post #86 - April 26th, 2022, 8:02 am Post #86 - April 26th, 2022, 8:02 am
    Feder: 'Seinfeld' Food Truck returns to Chicago
    It's been 10 years since the "Seinfeld" Food Truck rolled into the Chicago area. Now it's coming back -- loaded with free treats (but no soup) for everyone.

To promote reruns of the classic sitcom on Weigel Broadcasting WCIU-Channel 26, the truck again will distribute snacks associated with the show -- including Junior Mints, chocolate babka, black-and-white cookies and Drake's cakes.

The truck will be parked at Chicago's Jane Byrne Plaza, 180 East Randolph Street, Friday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday from noon to 6 p.m., and at Oak Brook Center in front of Macy's Sunday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

• Get the full report, and more Chicago media news, at robertfeder.com.

• Post #87 - May 3rd, 2022, 5:52 pm
    Post #87 - May 3rd, 2022, 5:52 pm Post #87 - May 3rd, 2022, 5:52 pm
    Food truck park to open in Logan Park.
    https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/04/28 ... an-square/
  • Post #88 - May 4th, 2022, 4:50 pm
    Post #88 - May 4th, 2022, 4:50 pm Post #88 - May 4th, 2022, 4:50 pm
    Food truck festival in central Naperville on Saturday, the 7th. (1:00 - 7:00 pm)
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #89 - May 4th, 2022, 7:19 pm
    Post #89 - May 4th, 2022, 7:19 pm Post #89 - May 4th, 2022, 7:19 pm
    Food Trucks Are Coming Back To Daley Plaza On Fridays.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/05/04 ... n-fridays/
  • Post #90 - July 30th, 2022, 5:37 am
    Post #90 - July 30th, 2022, 5:37 am Post #90 - July 30th, 2022, 5:37 am
    Food Truck Plaza Opening In Logan Square This Weekend After Years Of Community Planning.
    https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/07/29 ... -planning/

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more