LTH Home

School Lunch Memories

School Lunch Memories
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - November 30th, 2011, 9:09 am
    Post #61 - November 30th, 2011, 9:09 am Post #61 - November 30th, 2011, 9:09 am
    That is soooo WRONG, C2! Wonder what the nutrition label would have looked like?! :twisted:

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #62 - December 2nd, 2011, 4:30 pm
    Post #62 - December 2nd, 2011, 4:30 pm Post #62 - December 2nd, 2011, 4:30 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

When I was in third or fourth grade, Shake-a-Puddin' was a very intriguing product seen on TV. One lucky kid brought it to school for lunch. Everyone watched the fascinating transition from powder and water to pudding. It was also quickly banned by the school as a lunch option. I am sure more for the nuisance and potential messes rather than any quibbles about nutrition.

My friends and I were quite taken, though I never got to try it. My Mom would never buy this stuff. I realized years later it was just instant pudding with a novelty shaking element thrown in. I could do it now, if I wanted to. Somehow it has lost its charm. Yet when I see the commercial once more, it was understandable why any kid would want it.

We would get that occasionally as children. However, I always remembered using MILK as opposed to water. What is the difference between regular instant pudding and the Shake-a-Pudding? Really, not much.
  • Post #63 - November 23rd, 2013, 2:38 pm
    Post #63 - November 23rd, 2013, 2:38 pm Post #63 - November 23rd, 2013, 2:38 pm
    I'm posting this link I followed from the NPR website about a project from Dosomething.org, which is working to improve schools- in this case school lunches. Look and see what the kids are eating these days. The kids email their photos of bad and good lunches with titles: "Monotone Sadess" and "Junk in My Trunk" are some of the more expressive captions.

http://fedup.dosomething.org/fedup/show/eatit-MS
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #64 - September 5th, 2017, 1:11 pm
    Post #64 - September 5th, 2017, 1:11 pm Post #64 - September 5th, 2017, 1:11 pm
    Over the weekend, I was at the South Dakota State Fair to judge an heirloom recipe contest. One of the judges had researched South Dakota-centric food trivia questions.

What is the favorite combination school lunch combination served with chili?

Cinnamon rolls!

The audience of about 40 people answered this question simultaneously. It must really be so.

We joked on the way home on how to conveniently replicate this lunch favorite: Wendy's chili and Cinnabuns!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #65 - September 5th, 2017, 2:52 pm
    Post #65 - September 5th, 2017, 2:52 pm Post #65 - September 5th, 2017, 2:52 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:One of the judges had researched South Dakota-centric food trivia questions.

What is the favorite combination school lunch combination served with chili?

Cinnamon rolls!

I don't think the peculiar pairing is unique to South Dakota school lunches. I'm no expert, but I have the impression it's at least as common in Nebraska (and other states). I never came across it during my time in Seattle, but apparently the combination is also found in the Pacific Northwest, where it's sometimes called "loggers' breakfast."

Cathy2 wrote:We joked on the way home on how to conveniently replicate this lunch favorite: Wendy's chili and Cinnabuns!

Or you could get the combo without the trouble of visiting two chains. Runza, a Nebraska-based fast food chain, offers a Chili & Cinnamon Rolls Meal at its 80-some locations during the cooler months.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more