LTH Home

Illinois Tourist Attractions No One Knows About

Illinois Tourist Attractions No One Knows About
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • - February 11th, 2012, 9:09 am
    - February 11th, 2012, 9:09 am Post #121 - February 11th, 2012, 9:09 am
    third coast foodie wrote:I do not believe beautiful Navoo has been mentioned. Almost beyond description you can see one of the worlds great gun museums and a musical representing teen peer pressure cast with spry 80 year olds on the bank of the Mississippi and among the oldest architecture in the state while drinking fresh made caffinated root beer by people who avoid caffine.
    Along with the architectural river cruise it is my top tourist destination in the state.

Agree with you that the area around Nauvoo is one of the most beautiful stretches of the Mississippi River.

I think that the reason that it falls "off the beaten path", is that the attractions of Historical Nauvoo are operated by the LDS Church and staffed by its missionaries. That is something that some people find threatening. For local LDS members, it is a major shrine and destination.

I have been there 3-4 times as it was near my retreat when lived in St. Louis - Keokuk, IA.

If you are in the area, remember that Newton, IA and the famous Maytag Cheese factory is nearby.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more