Home Cookin'

Posted January 29th 2012, 9:52pm
I have finally pinned down my recent food craving…sweet/tart (think sweet pickles). This has been a culinary itch that I need to scratch before I can move on. I’m just that way I guess. Does anyone have any food ideas that will help me fulfill my craving?
Posted January 30th 2012, 9:11am
Find the Momofuku cookbook, lots of sweet and sour in there.
A favorite of mine is the pickled shiitakes, with lots of ginger, soy and sugar.
Here's a version of the recipe
http://www.foodista.com/recipe/FHQRWHZF ... -mushrooms

What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
-- Lin Yutang
Posted January 31st 2012, 10:32am
Thanks JoelF....looks good! I'll give it a try. Still scratching!

Lead Moderator
Web
Posted January 31st 2012, 10:44am
I thought this thread might be about my favorite candy from days gone by.

Not sure if you had pickles, exactly, in mind, but Lemoncello qualifies as sweet and tart (though lemony rather than vinegary). My daughter just made some with vodka and fresh lemons that pretty good.

“We all have to stand before the kitchen gods.” Chef Jacob Sahaya Kumar Aruni
Posted January 31st 2012, 7:01pm
Hummmmmm....good idea David. I never even thought about this taste in a drink. This is one aspect I've really enjoyed on LTH...all the information on the taste of drink.

Speaking of candy from days gone by, I recently purchased a SlowPoke. Wow things have changed. There was no chocolate coating, no stick (the seam was there where the stick use to be), and the caramel was soft. They made it too easy. :(

You can still get that sweet tart taste in sweet tart valentine candy that can be found on the grocery shelf. :)
Posted February 1st 2012, 5:24pm
I'm a SweeTart (the candy) fan, even though it's likely to make my teeth ache these days. But reading this thread sent me to the fridge for a spoonful of lemon curd...a great sweet-tart combo. (BTW, if anyone spots passionfruit curd for sale, please let me know. American Spoon made it for one season, I feel in love, then they discontinued it. I refuse to make it from scratch because that would only serve to remind me how unhealthy it is. Denial is sometimes bliss.)
LTH Forum Holiday Party

Online Information