LTH Home

National School Lunch Program

National School Lunch Program
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • - July 3rd, 2010, 12:13 pm
    - July 3rd, 2010, 12:13 pm Post #91 - July 3rd, 2010, 12:13 pm
    Tom Colicchio recently testified in front of Congress' Committee on Education and Labor on the topic of the Improving Nutrition for America's Children Act. His testimony is available as a PDF transcript

Here are a few quotes I thought particularly interesting:
    Tom Colicchio wrote:I’m here before you as a father to 17 year-old Dante and 11 month-old Luka. My kids, like kids everywhere, are more than happy to slurp down junk food and empty calories – pizza, sodas, candy and deep-fried anything. But the fact that they would eat this whenever doesn’t give me permission to shrug my shoulders and say, ‘well, that’s what they want!’ It’s my job as a parent to make sure they have a variety of real, nutritious foods served to them at every meal so that they grow into robust, healthy kids capable of meeting their full potential in life. And yet, I hear people say, “we’d like to improve school lunch, but all the kids want to eat are pizzas and burgers. If we give them good food they won’t eat it” Come on, people! We’re the adults. It’s up to us to do better.

Tom Colicchio wrote:Without regular exposure to real food – made from whole ingredients in a variety of textures, shapes, and colors – these children never develop a preference for healthy food, and thus perpetuate the cycle of poor nutrition that can lead to a lifetime of costly and debilitating health problems like obesity and diabetes, not to mention their lost potential as active, healthy citizens.

-Dan

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more