LTH Home

National School Lunch Program

National School Lunch Program
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • - March 17th, 2011, 2:00 pm
    - March 17th, 2011, 2:00 pm Post #91 - March 17th, 2011, 2:00 pm
    I will be posting this on the events board when we get nearer to the time, but a friend of mine who's been equally frustrated with school lunch is hosting a screening of the documentary Lunch Line, with a panel discussion following. Panel discussion should be interesting, as I'm on it, along with a number of other food and health activists in Evanston...and our district's superintendent.

I may bring nachos and waffles to throw, but I don't promise.

Time: Saturday, April 30 · 2:00pm - 5:00pm
    Location: Evanston Public Library 1703 Orrington Avenue Evanston, I
    L

Lunch Line is a documentary film that reframes the school lunch debate through an examination of the program's surprising past, uncertain present, and possible future. This screening is being co-sponsored by the Center for Civic Engagement at Northwestern University and the Evanston Public Library.

To see the trailer for the film click here: http://lunchlinefilm.com/

In the film, six kids from one of the toughest neighborhoods in Chicago set out to fix school lunch and end up at the White House.

Their unlikely journey parallels the dramatic transformation of school lunch from a weak patchwork of local anti-hunger efforts to a robust national feeding program. The film tracks key moments in school food and child nutrition from 1940s, 1960s, and 1980s to the present – revealing political twists, surprising alliances, and more common ground than people realize.

Along the way, Senators, Secretaries of Agriculture, entrepreneurs, and activists from across the political spectrum add top-down perspective to a bottom-up film about the American political process, the health and welfare of its future, and the realities of feeding more than 31 million children a day.

Please note: the film will be followed by a panel discussion with Hardy Murphy, District 65 superintendent of schools; Debbie Hillman, chair of the Evanston Food Policy Council; Rochelle Davis, president and CEO of the Healthy Schools Campaign; and Michele Hays, a District 65 parent who writes a blog about food education and food security.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more