LTH Home

National School Lunch Program

National School Lunch Program
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • - May 10th, 2010, 10:13 am
    - May 10th, 2010, 10:13 am Post #91 - May 10th, 2010, 10:13 am
    Interesting: here's a link to the Brazos Elementary school lunch menu, easily available with a websearch. Note that the breakfast menu includes (branded) Pop-Tarts, "pancake wraps," etc. for breakfast, while the lunch menu includes chicken fried steak and "corn chip pie" (which I concede might be better than they sound.)

I know of a local situation where an ISBE representative wrote an "unfavorable report" at a school because a school raffle included a sundae party as a prize, and a staffer had given some children a cookie as a reward - not that those things are ideal, but considering lunches contain a sugary item nearly every day (especially if you include flavored milk) and these one-time situations, the reaction didn't seem to be proportionate. There is an awful lot of do-as-I-say-but-not-as-I-do and quite a bit of finger-pointing in school lunch, and I notice that the more active parents are regarding lunch, the more likely the district is to point the finger at them and their school.

That being said, (while I am in no way suggesting the above school handled things well) trading foods at lunch can be a real problem: recently a friend's kid got sick at school: he has a severe peanut allergy, and a kind friend offered to share his candy bar. Fortunately, the school is set up to deal with food allergies, did so promtly, and no harm was done, but there are some legitimate reasons to crack down on food trading.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more