LTH Home

National School Lunch Program

National School Lunch Program
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • - January 7th, 2010, 5:34 pm
    - January 7th, 2010, 5:34 pm Post #61 - January 7th, 2010, 5:34 pm
    JimInLoganSquare sent me this article. It expresses many of the specific concerns I have about the way kids are being fed under NSLP - and counters much of the rhetoric in the linked article above. In particular I agree with this statement:
    If depriving schoolchildren 100 years ago grew out of the social Darwinist view that suffering and want build character, the current, equally ridiculous system owes much to poor eating habits at home, and to the philosophy that children must above all be enabled as autonomous decisionmakers from the day they take their first step. Parents these days feel an almost crippling need not to overstep—they must guide children’s choices, rather than intervene and make those choices on the children’s behalf. Poppendieck describes her consternation at seeing cafeteria workers catering to a child’s every impulsive demand, rather than, as in her day, intervening when Junior tries to substitute an extra brownie for his broccoli.

I don't think universal free lunch is the answer, but this philosophy is a large part of the problem with School Lunch.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more