LTH Home

National School Lunch Program

National School Lunch Program
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • - January 9th, 2010, 8:51 am
    - January 9th, 2010, 8:51 am Post #61 - January 9th, 2010, 8:51 am
    Another point worth mentioning - the School Nutritionist's Association is asking that the "reduced" lunch category be eliminated and rolled into "free." I think they are right - many lower-middle-class parents are struggling to pay for school lunch. Even $.40 per kid adds up when you've got several kids at school - we heard at the meeting that principals at different schools sometimes subsidize children out of their own pockets, most often in this category.

I wonder what would happen if we eliminated the reimbursement for full-price lunches. After all, why are we paying anything towards lunches for those who are demonstrably able to afford it? I understand that this must be an incentive to address the privacy issues above, but it in large part is the reason why so many of the foods pander to a kid's palate: districts get more money per meal for full-price lunches, and the full-price kids are most likely to bring a lunch on the days when school lunch doesn't please them. At the very least, the school lunch prices should be the same, regardless of category.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more