LTH Home

National School Lunch Program

National School Lunch Program
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • - January 7th, 2010, 1:56 pm
    - January 7th, 2010, 1:56 pm Post #61 - January 7th, 2010, 1:56 pm
    Joel - FB IM sent, see if that works for you.

ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Jennie Berkson at Evanston Rountable wrote:The cafeteria serves name brand products such as Tyson, Land O’ Lakes, Pepperidge Farms and Frito-Lay.

There's your trouble.

=R=

Ronnie, you're exactly right - another parent brought this up to me a while back, and I've been kicking myself for missing it as an obvious part of the problem. Not only do they serve brand-name factory-foods, there is a LOT of product placement: take a look at the posted menus upthread. In addition, the kids get the chips, etc, in their branded packaging. Many of these branded items are pure empty calories. I am guessing that this is the way that schools can afford packaged junk food: they must get them cheaply because the food companies are well aware of the exposure they're getting (all of them have special "food service" versions.)

Case in point: I'd never heard of Goldfish crackers when I was a kid, but suddenly they are the accepted "healthy" kids' snack, even though they have minimal nutritional value - the power of product placement.

I'm really annoyed that I didn't think of this before we contacted our Congresswoman, but it's something that should be part of the Child Nutrition Act.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more