LTH Home

Interesting obituaries

Interesting obituaries
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 13 of 21
  • Post #361 - December 2nd, 2018, 11:58 am
    Post #361 - December 2nd, 2018, 11:58 am Post #361 - December 2nd, 2018, 11:58 am
    patricia quintana, a very important mexican chef who helped educate americans about the diversity of the food of her country died this week at the age of 72.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/29/obit ... Obituaries
  • Post #362 - December 2nd, 2018, 12:34 pm
    Post #362 - December 2nd, 2018, 12:34 pm Post #362 - December 2nd, 2018, 12:34 pm
    justjoan wrote:patricia quintana, a very important mexican chef who helped educate americans about the diversity of the food of her country died this week at the age of 72.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/29/obit ... pe=Article®ion=Footer&contentCollection=Obituaries

Thank you. I had been looking for an English obituary on her.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #363 - December 13th, 2018, 8:48 am
    Post #363 - December 13th, 2018, 8:48 am Post #363 - December 13th, 2018, 8:48 am
    Peter Boizot, who founded the international restaurant chain PizzaExpress, beginning in Britain, where he helped shape the country’s casual dining scene, died on Dec. 5 in Peterborough, England. He was 89.

Link to obituary
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #364 - December 18th, 2018, 7:31 am
    Post #364 - December 18th, 2018, 7:31 am Post #364 - December 18th, 2018, 7:31 am
    Erik Jensen, 89 Owned Nielsen's Restaurant and Erik's Deli

https://tablet.oakpark.com/News/Article ... gle.com%2F
  • Post #365 - December 20th, 2018, 10:00 am
    Post #365 - December 20th, 2018, 10:00 am Post #365 - December 20th, 2018, 10:00 am
    Joan C. Zeisler dies, former CEO of Garrett Popcorn Shops

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/joan- ... -obituary/
  • Post #366 - January 15th, 2019, 3:47 pm
    Post #366 - January 15th, 2019, 3:47 pm Post #366 - January 15th, 2019, 3:47 pm
    Carol Channing Dies at 97; a Larger-Than-Life Broadway Star
  • Post #367 - January 15th, 2019, 6:09 pm
    Post #367 - January 15th, 2019, 6:09 pm Post #367 - January 15th, 2019, 6:09 pm

Loved her and love that you posted that here.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #368 - January 27th, 2019, 7:41 pm
    Post #368 - January 27th, 2019, 7:41 pm Post #368 - January 27th, 2019, 7:41 pm
    Alan Canter, whose family deli has been a late night fixture in Hollywood for decades, has died. He passed Friday of natural causes, according to his family.

Alan Canter Dies: Owner Of Canter’s Deli Was 82

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #369 - January 27th, 2019, 11:18 pm
    Post #369 - January 27th, 2019, 11:18 pm Post #369 - January 27th, 2019, 11:18 pm
    Nicole Bergere (Nicole’s Bake Shop, Nicole’s Divine Crackers), died today. She was 93.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #370 - March 28th, 2019, 10:06 am
    Post #370 - March 28th, 2019, 10:06 am Post #370 - March 28th, 2019, 10:06 am
    Charles A. Sanna, age 101, developed Swiss Miss, the first instant hot cocoa mix on the market.
    https://www.cressfuneralservice.com/obi ... les-Sanna/

"Mike Greco, Salami King of Bronx’s Little Italy, Dies at 89...was known to connoisseurs of Italian cuisine as “the Salami King” and “the Mayor of Arthur Avenue,” and whose salumeria has catered to old neighbors, visiting politicians and insatiable Bronx expatriates for more than six decades."
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/26/obit ... -dead.html

Fatima Ali, Fan Favorite on ‘Top Chef,’ Dies of [Ewing's Sarcoma] Cancer at 29
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/26/obit ... -chef.html

Mel Gancsos, creator of Mel’s Hellish Relish, dies at 79
    https://westfaironline.com/112170/mel-g ... ies-at-79/

Patricia McBride Lousada, One of Balanchine’s Originals [And Noted Cookbook Author], Dies at 89
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/28/obit ... -dead.html
  • Post #371 - April 15th, 2019, 8:09 am
    Post #371 - April 15th, 2019, 8:09 am Post #371 - April 15th, 2019, 8:09 am
    Sommelier Bob Bansberg, who taught wine classes at Kendall College, has died. His classes were often on Saturday morning, so he would stroll over to my food history meetings afterwards.

Always intended to do a program together on Presidential wines, but getting schedules synced was an endless problem.

What a wonderful person to exchange thoughts on food and restaurant culture, because he was so down to Earth. Just learned from reading some people's reactions, he grew up in LaSalle county.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #372 - April 15th, 2019, 9:50 am
    Post #372 - April 15th, 2019, 9:50 am Post #372 - April 15th, 2019, 9:50 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Sommelier Bob Bansberg, who taught wine classes at Kendall College, has died. His classes were often on Saturday morning, so he would stroll over to my food history meetings afterwards.

He was also the sommelier at Ambria during its heyday.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #373 - April 24th, 2019, 11:49 am
    Post #373 - April 24th, 2019, 11:49 am Post #373 - April 24th, 2019, 11:49 am
    Up here in Milwaukee, a legend passed away. Talking about Joe Bartolotta. His restaurants are all fantastic as was he. Great local guy who helped the city. We will all miss him.
  • Post #374 - April 24th, 2019, 9:42 pm
    Post #374 - April 24th, 2019, 9:42 pm Post #374 - April 24th, 2019, 9:42 pm
    ekreider wrote:Madeleine Kamman, 87, Who Gave Americans a Taste of France, Dies
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/20/obit ... ell-region®ion=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well

Cathy2

• Post #375 - May 1st, 2019, 9:51 am
    Post #375 - May 1st, 2019, 9:51 am Post #375 - May 1st, 2019, 9:51 am
    Margit Kirsche dies; Holocaust survivor founded Skokie’s Hungarian Kosher Foods
    Decades after being held in a Nazi concentration camp, a Minneapolis man named Hymie Kane was shopping at Hungarian Kosher Foods in Skokie and saw a customer he thought might be an old friend.

“He screams down the aisle, ‘Are you Shloime from Bergen-Belsen?’ ” said his son, Sheldon Kane.

The other man turned, shocked to recognize another survivor. And the store on Oakton Street at Crawford Avenue suddenly was filled with weeping and shouts of joy. Forty years and 4,300 miles from Bergen-Belsen, in the immaculate aisles of what the Times of Israel once called “America’s first all-kosher supermarket,” the two Holocaust survivors were reunited.

This obituary concludes with Margit's signature chicken soup.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #376 - May 4th, 2019, 6:10 am
    Post #376 - May 4th, 2019, 6:10 am Post #376 - May 4th, 2019, 6:10 am
    Giuliano Bugialli, who evangelized for traditional Italian cuisine with authoritative cookbooks and culinary schools that taught future chefs and the occasional celebrity how to prepare its classic dishes, died on April 26 in Viareggio, Italy. He was 88.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/03/obit ... -ios-share
  • Post #377 - May 11th, 2019, 7:29 am
    Post #377 - May 11th, 2019, 7:29 am Post #377 - May 11th, 2019, 7:29 am
    Michel Roux, Whose Vodka Success Was Absolut, Is Dead at 78

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/10/obit ... -ios-share
  • Post #378 - May 26th, 2019, 8:19 am
    Post #378 - May 26th, 2019, 8:19 am Post #378 - May 26th, 2019, 8:19 am
    Louis Osteen, Chef Who Championed Southern Food, Dies at 77

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/obit ... -ios-share
  • Post #379 - May 31st, 2019, 6:34 am
    Post #379 - May 31st, 2019, 6:34 am Post #379 - May 31st, 2019, 6:34 am
    Curtis Blake, who with his older brother built a single Massachusetts ice cream store into Friendly’s, a homey restaurant chain in the Eastern United States, died on May 24 at his home in Hobe Sound, Fla. He was 102.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/30/obit ... -ios-share
  • Post #380 - June 2nd, 2019, 8:14 am
    Post #380 - June 2nd, 2019, 8:14 am Post #380 - June 2nd, 2019, 8:14 am
    Leah Chase: Famed New Orleans chef who fed civil rights leaders dies

Chase's family released a statement to news outlets Saturday night, sharing that the woman they called a "believer in the Spirit of New Orleans" died surrounded by family.
    "Her daily joy was not simply cooking, but preparing meals to bring people together," the family's statement read. "One of her most prized contributions was advocating for the Civil Rights Movement through feeding those on the front lines of the struggle for human dignity."

Leah Chase transformed the restaurant bearing — like her husband — her father-in-law's name from a sandwich shop where black patrons could buy lottery tickets to a refined restaurant where tourists, athletes, musicians — and even presidents — of all races dined.

Chase's determination propelled her from a girl with a small-town Louisiana upbringing to a celebrated chef who authored cookbooks, appeared on cooking shows and fed civil rights greats such as Thurgood Marshall and Martin Luther King Jr. Well into her 90s, Chase could be found every day at the restaurant, using a walker while greeting customers and supervising the kitchen.
    Dooky Chase's became known as a place where white and black civil rights activists could meet and strategize about voter registration drives or legal cases. Although Chase and her husband were breaking the law by allowing whites and blacks to eat together, police never raided the restaurant.

She would also send food to jailed civil rights leaders, sniffing her nose at the notion of them eating prison food.
    Chase never boasted about her works, saying simply that she did what she thought she had to do.
    Cathy2

• Post #381 - June 2nd, 2019, 5:49 pm
    Post #381 - June 2nd, 2019, 5:49 pm Post #381 - June 2nd, 2019, 5:49 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Leah Chase: Famed New Orleans chef who fed civil rights leaders dies

Chase's family released a statement to news outlets Saturday night, sharing that the woman they called a "believer in the Spirit of New Orleans" died surrounded by family.
    "Her daily joy was not simply cooking, but preparing meals to bring people together," the family's statement read. "One of her most prized contributions was advocating for the Civil Rights Movement through feeding those on the front lines of the struggle for human dignity."

Leah Chase transformed the restaurant bearing — like her husband — her father-in-law's name from a sandwich shop where black patrons could buy lottery tickets to a refined restaurant where tourists, athletes, musicians — and even presidents — of all races dined.

Chase's determination propelled her from a girl with a small-town Louisiana upbringing to a celebrated chef who authored cookbooks, appeared on cooking shows and fed civil rights greats such as Thurgood Marshall and Martin Luther King Jr. Well into her 90s, Chase could be found every day at the restaurant, using a walker while greeting customers and supervising the kitchen.
    Dooky Chase's became known as a place where white and black civil rights activists could meet and strategize about voter registration drives or legal cases. Although Chase and her husband were breaking the law by allowing whites and blacks to eat together, police never raided the restaurant.

She would also send food to jailed civil rights leaders, sniffing her nose at the notion of them eating prison food.
    Chase never boasted about her works, saying simply that she did what she thought she had to do.

I was out late breaking bread with friends when I saw this.

I forget people like Chef Chase are mortal because she has always been here.

This is a huge loss.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #382 - June 7th, 2019, 7:38 am
    Post #382 - June 7th, 2019, 7:38 am Post #382 - June 7th, 2019, 7:38 am
    Maida Heatter, prolific cookbook author who was dubbed the Queen of Cake, dies at 102
    “I had no training, so I wasn’t bound by any rules,” Ms. Heatter once said. But she was a perfectionist, which she often attributed to her being born under the Virgo sign. She tested recipes 15 to 20 times, and retested every recipe in her first book after discovering that her oven was off by 35 degrees. She then advised home bakers to make sure their ovens were properly calibrated.
    “Whenever someone tells me they want to learn to bake, I tell them to start with Maida Heatter’s books. That’s what I did,” said cookbook author Dorie Greenspan, who wrote the forward to Ms. Heatter’s most recent book, published in April. “She wrote recipes that made you feel she was there with you, helping you at every step and cheering you on. And those recipes could always be trusted. She was called ‘Queen of Cake,’ but in my house I thought of her as a kitchen god.”
    Saidie Heatter, a former elementary school teacher, had a knack for last-minute, fabulous entertaining. “Let’s go into the kitchen and play,” is what young Maida heard her mother say. As a result, time spent preparing food and family meals became a source of fun — an attitude that never wavered for Saidie’s daughter.
    Cathy2

• Post #383 - June 11th, 2019, 6:47 am
    Post #383 - June 11th, 2019, 6:47 am Post #383 - June 11th, 2019, 6:47 am
    Jiggs Kalra, Food Writer Who Elevated Indian Fine Dining, Dies at 72

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/10/obit ... -ios-share
  • Post #384 - June 17th, 2019, 9:03 pm
    Post #384 - June 17th, 2019, 9:03 pm Post #384 - June 17th, 2019, 9:03 pm
    Molly O’Neill, Writer Who Explored and Celebrated Food, Is Dead at 66
    Molly O’Neill, a freewheeling writer born into a family bent on raising baseball players who would transform herself from a chef into one of America’s leading chroniclers of food, died on Sunday in Manhattan. She was 66.
    Cathy2

• Post #385 - June 24th, 2019, 8:50 am
    Post #385 - June 24th, 2019, 8:50 am Post #385 - June 24th, 2019, 8:50 am
    From Fooditor

14. IN MEMORIAM

I considered Stanley’s Tavern in Back of the Yards for my Food-I-Tour last summer, but decided that a crowd of visitors might be a strain on 94-year-old Wanda Kurek, who worked there her whole life and still made homey Polish food 5 days a week there. She passed away this week at 95; the best piece on her came from my friend Casey Cora several years ago at DNAInfo, though there are choice bits in this one from Mike Sula, too (“‘It’s the world according to Wanda,” he says. “Right is right, wrong is wrong. You’re an asshole? Get out!'”). Suffice it to say that a true embodiment of Chicago history has passed from the scene.
    Cathy2

• Post #386 - July 7th, 2019, 9:16 pm
    Post #386 - July 7th, 2019, 9:16 pm Post #386 - July 7th, 2019, 9:16 pm
    A Tribute to Stanley’s proprietor Wanda Kurek
    Host Dave Hoekstra sits down with Historian/Author Dominic A. Pacyga, rockability artist Ken Mottet, and nephew of Wanda Kurek; Walter Kurek as they pay tribute to the proprietor of Stanley in the Back of the Yard neighborhood. The guys reminisce on their favorite memories of Wanda and Stanley’s.

Wanda Kurek passed June 18 at the age of 95.
    Cathy2

• Post #387 - July 8th, 2019, 12:02 am
    Post #387 - July 8th, 2019, 12:02 am Post #387 - July 8th, 2019, 12:02 am
    Hi- One of my sisters lives in New Orleans, and when I saw her last weekend when she came home to Michigan, I mentioned that I heard that Leah Chase had died recently. I asked my sister what she died from, and she said just old age. Apparently she had been working at the restaurant until a few months ago. For those of you familiar with second line funeral processions, my sister said that Leah had a huge second line. I did not realize it until my sister told me that Dr. John died the same week as Leah, and they had two second line processions for him, with the first one taking place a day after he died.

My Sister said that Leah's Grandsons are keeping the restaurant open. Apparently they were only open for breakfast and lunch to make it easier for Leah. They also have a restaurant in the airport which I did not know about that one of the Grandsons operates. They are building a new airport right now. My Sister said it should have been open by now Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #388 - July 14th, 2019, 11:25 pm
    Post #388 - July 14th, 2019, 11:25 pm Post #388 - July 14th, 2019, 11:25 pm
    On Fooditor this evening, there was a link to Mike Sula's comments on Steve Zaransky.

There was also a loss for the Chicago Roadfood Community: Gregg Pill who posted as ChiTownDiner.

But, a recent forum thread reminded James Pfefferle of the true meaning behind community, friendship and loyalty. In fact, the title of the thread says it all: "The post no one wants to write. Gregg has passed away." Scrolling through a list of comments, tributes and photos unveils a loss that has left many in mourning.

I bumped into him at the International Mall about two years ago. He introduced himself after recognizing me from a prior interaction. True to his community, he asked me to post information about restaurant week in Westmont.

I'm sure Gregg will be missed as we feel the same for Steve.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #389 - August 5th, 2019, 9:48 am
    Post #389 - August 5th, 2019, 9:48 am Post #389 - August 5th, 2019, 9:48 am
    here's the belated obituary from the NYTimes on georgia gilmore, who fed many of the activists/leaders during the civil rights era.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/31/obit ... 556b9d98a7®i_id=446878150805

you can read more about her and the montgomery bus boycott in john t. edge's wonderful book:“The Potlikker Papers: A Food History of the Modern South” (2017).
  • Post #390 - September 3rd, 2019, 6:33 am
    Post #390 - September 3rd, 2019, 6:33 am Post #390 - September 3rd, 2019, 6:33 am
    Edda Servi Machlin, 93, Champion of Italian Jewish Cuisine, Dies

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/01/obit ... -ios-share

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events