LTH Home

Airplane Food...Yuck! I mean...Yummers?

Airplane Food...Yuck! I mean...Yummers?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - June 14th, 2014, 12:45 pm
    Post #31 - June 14th, 2014, 12:45 pm Post #31 - June 14th, 2014, 12:45 pm
    Gypsy Boy wrote:Now tell me this isn't the most appetizing meal you've ever seen! Courtesy of Iberia Airlines

:lol:

Ummmmm.... And what was this SUPPOSED to be???
    "Life is a combination of magic and pasta." -- Federico Fellini

"You're not going to like it in Chicago. The wind comes howling in from the lake. And there's practically no opera season at all--and the Lord only knows whether they've ever heard of lobster Newburg." --Charles Foster Kane, Citizen Kane.
  • Post #32 - June 14th, 2014, 4:52 pm
    Post #32 - June 14th, 2014, 4:52 pm Post #32 - June 14th, 2014, 4:52 pm
    tarte tatin wrote:
    Gypsy Boy wrote:Now tell me this isn't the most appetizing meal you've ever seen! Courtesy of Iberia Airlines

:lol:

Ummmmm.... And what was this SUPPOSED to be???

Broccoli and Elmer's?

That does look nauseating, but I've never been served anything that bad on a plane. In 45 years of flying, I'm proud to say I've never found a meal inedible! (But maybe I shouldn't be proud of saying that.)
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #33 - June 15th, 2014, 2:28 pm
    Post #33 - June 15th, 2014, 2:28 pm Post #33 - June 15th, 2014, 2:28 pm
    To the best of our recollection, this was the Spanish national airline (on a flight to the capital of Austria) serving, uh, lasagna with a "white sauce." In fairness, it wasn't inedible; it was merely sad. I guess if you're hungry enough, you'll even eat food that looks like this.
    We'll skip over the fact that Iberia managed to miss not only our outbound connection but our inbound one as well. We won't be flying them again. Ever.
    Last edited by Gypsy Boy on June 16th, 2014, 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #34 - June 15th, 2014, 9:19 pm
    Post #34 - June 15th, 2014, 9:19 pm Post #34 - June 15th, 2014, 9:19 pm
    On a related topic, what's NOT allowed to be eaten on airplanes. On a recent Southwest flight, we were told not only that peanuts would not be served but that peanuts could not be eaten (those peanut M&M's, hang onto them until we land). This did not seem unreasonable to me, but I'd never heard a prohibition announced.

However, my flight was week before last; talked to someone who was on another Southwest flight just last week and they did not think that prohibition had been announced...but they didn't get served peanuts (pretzels, instead.) SWA could be just using up inventory before a system-wide ban on nuts. I can live without them in flight.

David "Just accumulating useless data points over here, boss" Hammond
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #35 - December 12th, 2017, 5:42 pm
    Post #35 - December 12th, 2017, 5:42 pm Post #35 - December 12th, 2017, 5:42 pm
    How Sound Affects the Way You Taste Food on Airplanes

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/s ... c8c05e4c9a
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #36 - December 12th, 2017, 6:04 pm
    Post #36 - December 12th, 2017, 6:04 pm Post #36 - December 12th, 2017, 6:04 pm
    I am pretty sure I have gotten peanuts on a few Southwest flights.
  • Post #37 - December 12th, 2017, 10:23 pm
    Post #37 - December 12th, 2017, 10:23 pm Post #37 - December 12th, 2017, 10:23 pm
    David Hammond wrote:On a related topic, what's NOT allowed to be eaten on airplanes. On a recent Southwest flight, we were told not only that peanuts would not be served but that peanuts could not be eaten (those peanut M&M's, hang onto them until we land). This did not seem unreasonable to me, but I'd never heard a prohibition announced.

However, my flight was week before last; talked to someone who was on another Southwest flight just last week and they did not think that prohibition had been announced...but they didn't get served peanuts (pretzels, instead.) SWA could be just using up inventory before a system-wide ban on nuts. I can live without them in flight.

David "Just accumulating useless data points over here, boss" Hammond

Flew Southwest over Thanksgiving. On the first flight it was announced overhead as "peanut-free". On the return trip there was no announcement and peanuts were served. What I observed on the outbound trip was that a family pre-boarded, and had obviously given the child's allergies as the reason to pre-board, as the boarding flight attendant confirmed that they had an epi pen with them. My conclusion was that an individual/family can request a peanut-free flight and it is then delivered.
  • Post #38 - December 13th, 2017, 7:28 am
    Post #38 - December 13th, 2017, 7:28 am Post #38 - December 13th, 2017, 7:28 am
    David Hammond wrote:On a recent Southwest flight, we were told not only that peanuts would not be served but that peanuts could not be eaten (those peanut M&M's, hang onto them until we land). This did not seem unreasonable to me, but I'd never heard a prohibition announced.

I'm at a total loss on how this absurd ban could just be so flippantly announced, let alone that it's not unreasonable.

I agree that the sacrifice being requested (you can't eat any peanut products you brought for yourself) is minimal, but the justification for the request (potential allergic reaction to airborne particles) is dubious, and it sounds like they aren't offering any compensation (eg. large selection of unlimited free non-peanut snacks) for your sacrifice. The flight isn't free. To try and accommodate some hyper-sensitivity that isn't controllable in the vast majority of situations, with no compensation to those restrained by the accommodation, seems like the definition of unreasonable.

I wouldn't put up a scene, because nothing can be gained on the spot. But I sure as hell would be disgusted with the airline, and avoid them like the plague.

*Full Disclosure: I fly out of O'Hare because of location, having taken SWA only once, 19 years ago, never to be repeated.
  • Post #39 - December 13th, 2017, 1:42 pm
    Post #39 - December 13th, 2017, 1:42 pm Post #39 - December 13th, 2017, 1:42 pm
    https://www.inflightfeed.com/
  • Post #40 - December 13th, 2017, 5:01 pm
    Post #40 - December 13th, 2017, 5:01 pm Post #40 - December 13th, 2017, 5:01 pm
    I've flown Southwest numerous times, and the only time I experienced problems was three years ago, when I flew down to New Orleans at Christmas time, and the weather turned lousy, and the pilot circled the runway for 15 minutes before finally giving up and diverting to Houston. After sitting on the runway at Houston for 30 minutes, he then flew back to New Orleans, and was able to land.

I had an incidence with United also at Christmas, where my plane was 7 hours late taking off because of a malfunction problem with the plane, and when they finally got the plane fixed, they had to replace the crew. They gave me a $100 voucher for my trouble. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #41 - December 28th, 2018, 1:46 pm
    Post #41 - December 28th, 2018, 1:46 pm Post #41 - December 28th, 2018, 1:46 pm
    Love airline food? United Airlines is selling a cookbook.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html
  • Post #42 - December 31st, 2018, 2:28 pm
    Post #42 - December 31st, 2018, 2:28 pm Post #42 - December 31st, 2018, 2:28 pm
    I realize that I am responding to year old posts just above, but peanuts will no longer be served on Southwest flights.
  • Post #43 - August 22nd, 2019, 7:23 pm
    Post #43 - August 22nd, 2019, 7:23 pm Post #43 - August 22nd, 2019, 7:23 pm
    Airlines are trying to improve their food, but feeding people at 35,000 feet is no easy task. At United, employees ‘torture test’ the dishes.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html
  • Post #44 - October 12th, 2020, 10:00 am
    Post #44 - October 12th, 2020, 10:00 am Post #44 - October 12th, 2020, 10:00 am
    This pandemic has even made airline food desirable
    With flights largely grounded, Singapore Airlines is trying novel ways to raise money, using two parked superjumbos as pop-up restaurants. Reservations sold out in a half-hour.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #45 - June 26th, 2021, 9:20 am
    Post #45 - June 26th, 2021, 9:20 am Post #45 - June 26th, 2021, 9:20 am
    Meet the Man Recreating Air Travel’s Most Glorious Meals

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/p ... c8c05e4c9a

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat