LTH Home

You know you're an LTHer when . . .

You know you're an LTHer when . . .
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 16 of 17
  • Post #451 - October 7th, 2013, 10:57 am
    Post #451 - October 7th, 2013, 10:57 am Post #451 - October 7th, 2013, 10:57 am
    The comments are interesting. It seems there remains perhaps one small masa mill making tortillas in the 5-borroughs. That's remarkable given that this conversation about NY getting respectable Mexican as immigrants move into Queens and the Bronx has been going on for a decade. The numbers and density of the poulation vs. rents and infrastructure hurdles in America's most expensive city must not justify it. That said, I'd be surprised if there weren't a substantial tortilleria in Jersey by now.
  • Post #452 - October 7th, 2013, 11:34 am
    Post #452 - October 7th, 2013, 11:34 am Post #452 - October 7th, 2013, 11:34 am
    JeffB wrote:The comments are interesting. It seems there remains perhaps one small masa mill making tortillas in the 5-borroughs. That's remarkable given that this conversation about NY getting respectable Mexican as immigrants move into Queens and the Bronx has been going on for a decade. The numbers and density of the poulation vs. rents and infrastructure hurdles in America's most expensive city must not justify it. That said, I'd be surprised if there weren't a substantial tortilleria in Jersey by now.


    I guess I don't feel quite so bad about St. Louis not having our own masa mill. But then, the baguette options here are really disappointing at present.
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #453 - October 7th, 2013, 11:54 am
    Post #453 - October 7th, 2013, 11:54 am Post #453 - October 7th, 2013, 11:54 am
    Josephine--

    We've got a masa mill in Kansas City *and* damn fine baguettes! Come visit!

    BTW, K-State has published a report chronicling EVERYthing you'd ever want to know about masa and its production. :)

    Geo
    PS. Loved your new piece on Yunnan. Tnx!
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #454 - October 28th, 2013, 7:58 pm
    Post #454 - October 28th, 2013, 7:58 pm Post #454 - October 28th, 2013, 7:58 pm
    You know you're a future LTHer when you're gumming the plate before you've even started on solid food . . . :lol:

    Image
    MRB and the orecchiette @ Guildhall

    =R=
    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #455 - October 28th, 2013, 8:08 pm
    Post #455 - October 28th, 2013, 8:08 pm Post #455 - October 28th, 2013, 8:08 pm
    Awesomeness...go Max go!!! Show uncle Ronnie how it's done!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #456 - October 28th, 2013, 8:19 pm
    Post #456 - October 28th, 2013, 8:19 pm Post #456 - October 28th, 2013, 8:19 pm
    Aha, so this is what pride feels like. :D
    I don't know what you think about dinner, but there must be a relation between the breakfast and the happiness. --Cemal Süreyya
  • Post #457 - October 29th, 2013, 1:05 pm
    Post #457 - October 29th, 2013, 1:05 pm Post #457 - October 29th, 2013, 1:05 pm
    RAB wrote:Aha, so this is what pride feels like. :D


    He really is adorable . And you know I don't say that about all babies.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

    Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #458 - October 31st, 2013, 1:34 pm
    Post #458 - October 31st, 2013, 1:34 pm Post #458 - October 31st, 2013, 1:34 pm
    Your DH ( a brit with NO time spent living in the U.S. south) crosses the threshold and correctly announces it smells like boiled peanuts. Yep, you have a pot of peanuts in the pressure cooker courtesy of Fresh Farms in Niles.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

    Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #459 - October 31st, 2013, 1:57 pm
    Post #459 - October 31st, 2013, 1:57 pm Post #459 - October 31st, 2013, 1:57 pm
    How do you do your 'bolled' peanuts, pairs? I got hooked on them one Spring break in Gulf Shores AL! :)

    Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #460 - October 31st, 2013, 2:13 pm
    Post #460 - October 31st, 2013, 2:13 pm Post #460 - October 31st, 2013, 2:13 pm
    Geo wrote:How do you do your 'bolled' peanuts, pairs? I got hooked on them one Spring break in Gulf Shores AL! :)

    Geo


    The quickest is to treat them like the dried legume that they are. I just found a recipe that soaked them overnight, in their shells. Then throw them in a pressure cooker and cover with water. Add 2/3 c of salt for 3 lbs of peanuts(I like mine on the very light side of salt, you can always leave them in the brine after they are done to get them saltier). Cook at 10 lbs of pressure for 45 minutes. Let the pressure drop naturally. And they were done enough for me. I left them in the brine for about 45 more minutes and they were salty enough for me.

    Without a pressure cooker cover the peanuts in a large pot with salted water. And cook on medium for hours, it's probably around the 3rd hour that I started tasting to see how done they are. That said, the pressure cooker is your friend.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

    Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #461 - October 31st, 2013, 2:19 pm
    Post #461 - October 31st, 2013, 2:19 pm Post #461 - October 31st, 2013, 2:19 pm
    Tnx! Sounds easy enough--and I just bought a pressure canner! :)

    Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #462 - October 31st, 2013, 2:31 pm
    Post #462 - October 31st, 2013, 2:31 pm Post #462 - October 31st, 2013, 2:31 pm
    I can't believe that with all my trips to the south I have not had these. Oh well, another excuse to take a vacation.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love
    There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach
    Read "Cooking for One" at Literary Orphans via my author page.

    Late-Nite Eats Database
  • Post #463 - October 31st, 2013, 2:35 pm
    Post #463 - October 31st, 2013, 2:35 pm Post #463 - October 31st, 2013, 2:35 pm
    That's amazing, Pie Lady! There were guys selling them on the side of the road, from stands, and from the backs of trucks--with hand-painted signs, mostly, everywhere we drove in southern Alabama. First sign I saw, I stopped, bought, ate, and was hooked! A major food group! :)

    Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #464 - November 3rd, 2013, 1:05 am
    Post #464 - November 3rd, 2013, 1:05 am Post #464 - November 3rd, 2013, 1:05 am
    ...your nightmares involve being in an unfamiliar ethnic restaurant where the staff doesn't speak English and the menu items, which look and smell (I love vivid food dreams!) delicious on other people's plates, are unfamiliar and the words disappear on the menu itself.

    Oh, the horror!
  • Post #465 - November 3rd, 2013, 8:19 am
    Post #465 - November 3rd, 2013, 8:19 am Post #465 - November 3rd, 2013, 8:19 am
    You need to ask for the Dream Menu, which they only give to members of that ethnicity.
  • Post #466 - December 28th, 2013, 2:13 am
    Post #466 - December 28th, 2013, 2:13 am Post #466 - December 28th, 2013, 2:13 am
    ...you spend the day after all major holidays making stock with the leftover carcasses and bones.
    Dominic Armato
    Dining Critic
    The Arizona Republic and azcentral.com
  • Post #467 - December 28th, 2013, 12:57 pm
    Post #467 - December 28th, 2013, 12:57 pm Post #467 - December 28th, 2013, 12:57 pm
    ...you plan on doing above after cooking a turkey over the weekend because, well, "I'm home."
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love
    There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach
    Read "Cooking for One" at Literary Orphans via my author page.

    Late-Nite Eats Database
  • Post #468 - December 28th, 2013, 1:40 pm
    Post #468 - December 28th, 2013, 1:40 pm Post #468 - December 28th, 2013, 1:40 pm
    I made turkey stock on Christmas day while cleaning up the kitchen. People hadn't left yet and commented how it smelled like turkey in the kitchen.

    Regards,
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #469 - March 29th, 2014, 3:41 am
    Post #469 - March 29th, 2014, 3:41 am Post #469 - March 29th, 2014, 3:41 am
    You see an article in the paper titled "Should schools be teaching us life skills?" and you read it as "Should schools be teaching us knife skills?" and you think, "Neat idea!"
  • Post #470 - October 18th, 2014, 9:55 am
    Post #470 - October 18th, 2014, 9:55 am Post #470 - October 18th, 2014, 9:55 am
    You grumble about having to order a couche, a lame, and diastatic malt powder, while doing it anyway, to try a recipe. http://instagram.com/p/uS_2_4FyR7/

    Did anyone else have the same experience while reading the September/October issue of Cook's Illustrated for the Authentic baguette? The old baguette recipe appears to have disappeared from their website. It had no special ingredients and you can see from the above link it was brown and had an audible crunch to the exterior.
    Last edited by pairs4life on October 18th, 2014, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

    Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #471 - October 18th, 2014, 10:19 am
    Post #471 - October 18th, 2014, 10:19 am Post #471 - October 18th, 2014, 10:19 am
    I ordered a couche, lame, and some blades from the SF Baking Co years ago and they sent me enough blades for bread and shaving to last several lifetimes. Yards of the couch too.

    Are you using the malt powder in a white baguette or whole wheat?
  • Post #472 - October 18th, 2014, 10:46 am
    Post #472 - October 18th, 2014, 10:46 am Post #472 - October 18th, 2014, 10:46 am
    Darren72 wrote:I ordered a couche, lame, and some blades from the SF Baking Co years ago and they sent me enough blades for bread and shaving to last several lifetimes. Yards of the couch too.

    Are you using the malt powder in a white baguette or whole wheat?


    The CI recipe is primarily white it has a smidge of whole wheat. I think I got that idea from Rose Levy Berenbaum to replace a smidge of white with whole wheat for almost any bread. Most of my breads have that replacement. The CI recipe has you sift the whole wheat to remove some of the bran that some tasters noted imparted a bitterness.

    I ordered everything from amazon except the couche. The CI winner for the couche was from SF Baking Institute.
    Last edited by pairs4life on October 18th, 2014, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

    Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #473 - October 18th, 2014, 11:51 am
    Post #473 - October 18th, 2014, 11:51 am Post #473 - October 18th, 2014, 11:51 am
    pairs4life wrote: The CI recipe has you sift the whole wheat to remove some of the bran that some tasters noted imparted a bitterness.


    Although all of their flour is whole wheat, the folks at Baker Miller sift it before using for just that reason.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #474 - October 18th, 2014, 3:25 pm
    Post #474 - October 18th, 2014, 3:25 pm Post #474 - October 18th, 2014, 3:25 pm
    stevez wrote:
    pairs4life wrote: The CI recipe has you sift the whole wheat to remove some of the bran that some tasters noted imparted a bitterness.


    Although all of their flour is whole wheat, the folks at Baker Miller sift it before using for just that reason.


    While I have not had a product made at Baker Miller, I did have the lovely hand pies justjoan made with their flour. Not a bit of bitterness or any of the other negatives I associate with whole wheat flour in pastries.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

    Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #475 - October 19th, 2014, 9:19 pm
    Post #475 - October 19th, 2014, 9:19 pm Post #475 - October 19th, 2014, 9:19 pm
    There is a big difference in flavor between bran from red and white wheat, which is reflected in the flavor of whole wheat flour. Bitterness is associated with bran from red wheat. My understanding is that Baker Miller uses soft white wheat for their pastry flour.

    Trader Joe's has a whole white wheat bread if you want to taste the difference in bread.
  • Post #476 - October 19th, 2014, 9:23 pm
    Post #476 - October 19th, 2014, 9:23 pm Post #476 - October 19th, 2014, 9:23 pm
    ekreider wrote:There is a big difference in flavor between bran from red and white wheat, which is reflected in the flavor of whole wheat flour. Bitterness is associated with bran from red wheat. My understanding is that Baker Miller uses soft white wheat for their pastry flour.


    As I understand it, they use soft wheat for their pastry flour and hard red wheat for their bread and savory items.

    Soft Wheat for Pastry Flour
    Image

    Hard Wheat for Bread & Savory Items
    Image

    One of their low tech sifters can be seen in the hard wheat picture just above and to the left of the hands holding the wheat.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #477 - October 21st, 2014, 11:28 am
    Post #477 - October 21st, 2014, 11:28 am Post #477 - October 21st, 2014, 11:28 am
    pairs4life wrote:You grumble about having to order a couche, a lame, and diastatic malt powder, while doing it anyway, to try a recipe. http://instagram.com/p/uS_2_4FyR7/

    Did anyone else have the same experience while reading the September/October issue of Cook's Illustrated for the Authentic baguette? The old baguette recipe appears to have disappeared from their website. It had no special ingredients and you can see from the above link it was brown and had an audible crunch to the exterior.


    How about you read an internet post that mentions a couche, lame, and diastatic malt powder in the same sentence, and you immediately recognize exactly what it's being used for.
    "I've always thought pastrami was the most sensuous of the salted cured meats."
  • Post #478 - October 23rd, 2014, 3:57 pm
    Post #478 - October 23rd, 2014, 3:57 pm Post #478 - October 23rd, 2014, 3:57 pm
    Independent George wrote:
    pairs4life wrote:You grumble about having to order a couche, a lame, and diastatic malt powder, while doing it anyway, to try a recipe. http://instagram.com/p/uS_2_4FyR7/

    Did anyone else have the same experience while reading the September/October issue of Cook's Illustrated for the Authentic baguette? The old baguette recipe appears to have disappeared from their website. It had no special ingredients and you can see from the above link it was brown and had an audible crunch to the exterior.


    How about you read an internet post that mentions a couche, lame, and diastatic malt powder in the same sentence, and you immediately recognize exactly what it's being used for.


    I could only post that here! :shock:
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

    Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #479 - October 23rd, 2014, 8:06 pm
    Post #479 - October 23rd, 2014, 8:06 pm Post #479 - October 23rd, 2014, 8:06 pm
    In the last week you've rendered chicken, beef, and bacon fat - beautifully clean, clear, and free of any sediment or contamination. You recognize them by color so there's no need to label the jars.

    Everyone keeps asking "what's that shit in the jars in the fridge?" :(

    Thusly saddened you realize you can sink into depression or MAN-UP and...
    ...bake...

    Banana bread, baking soda pretzel rolls, three layer chocolate cake, Sicilian pizzas (3 and counting - the one with artichoke, leek and asiago was mind-blowing), braided Italian bread with really good olive oil and sesame seeds, working on a tart Tatin, and thinking about a Concord grape galette...
  • Post #480 - October 24th, 2014, 2:57 am
    Post #480 - October 24th, 2014, 2:57 am Post #480 - October 24th, 2014, 2:57 am
    .....you take pictures of all the live sea life at the Shedd Aquarium, then head to Chinatown and ask restaurants if they are serving this? How about this? That one?
    "Just a Thin Crust kinda girl living in a Deep Dish world."

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more