Mad-town Chow Down

Lead Moderator
Posted January 19th 2011, 8:11pm
Media Digest Addenda for the week of January 19, 2011

This week in the Chicago Reader's Food & Drink section:

Inovasi...Kate Schmidt reviews this north-suburban enclave, which is helmed by chef John Des Rosiers.

A Meaty MLK Day...Ms. Schmidt rounds up some local F&B industry news, including the much-anticipated opening of Rob & Allie Levitt's The Butcher and Larder in Noble Square.

Key Ingrdient: Natto...in this week's installment, Julia Thiel reports on what Brian Enyart, exiting chef de cuisine at Topolobampo, prepared with the natto he was assigned by chef Andrew Zimmerman of Sepia. Included video is by LTH contributor Mike Gebert.

Hopleaf Has Company...Mike Gebert scouts Leopold, which opened recently in West Town. There's an additional sort on other West Town eateries, which was unavailable (due to web site issues) at the time of this post. Reviews here are by LTH contributors Mike Sula and Kristina Meyer, along with Peter Margasak, Martha Bayne, Laura Levy Shatkin and Anne Spiselman, among others.
=====

From Chicago Magazine's on-line Dining section:

In this week's edition of Dish, Penny Pollack, Graham Meyer and Lena Singer interview chef Greg Biggers, who recently took over the kitchen at Café des Architectes.
=====

From this week's Time Out Chicago - Restaurants & Bars section:

Still truckin’...David Tamarkin and Julia Kramer highlight 4 new food trucks on the Chicago scene.

Simmer down now...Julia Kramer checks out the cassoulet at 5 places in town.

The Coffee Issue
15 best coffee shops...Julia Kramer and David Tamarkin lay out their list.

Best decaf coffee...Kate Leahy finds 6 places that actually pay some attention to decaf.

Coffeehouses with good food...Julia Kramer lists 5 places that stand out.

Quirky coffeehouses...Erin Ensign, John Greenfield and Zachary Whittenburg visit 5 local coffee houses where the decor is a distinguishing element.

Unusual spots to get coffee...Lisa Shames shines a light on a few unexpected coffee destinations.

Our barista crushes...Angela Barnaby lists the objects of the TOC staff's secret admirations. Relatedly, Kris Vire lays out some Confessions of a barista crush.

Pour-over coffee...Laura Baginski gets the assistance of Kevin Ashtari, owner of Asado Coffee Co., in learning this method and kicking her Mr. Coffee habit.

Bean busy...Martina Sheehan profiles and interviews coffee shop entrepreneur Phil Tadros.

Black coffee hole...Jake Malooley tries to learn the actual limits of the "bottomless" cup of coffee.

5 minutes with Michael Phillips...Jake Malooley interviews the World Barista Championship, a Chicago resident.

Coffee stats...the TOC staff goes all 'visual aid' in creating this chart of roasters, brew methods, costs and average wait times at the 34 spots that were visited for this issue.
=====

From this week's Daily Herald - Food section:

Chef brings farm to-dining concept to Schaumburg...food editor Deborah Pankey profiles and interviews chef John Slate of Season's 52, who shares his recipe for Mulligatawny Chicken Curry Soup.
=====

Posted this week at Dining Chicago.com:

Eat this! Bolognese, meaty sauce of Italy...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes gets the recipe for Francesca’s Ragu alla Bolognese, from chef Laco Seeber.
=====

Posted this week at NewCity Chicago's Newcity Resto site:

$#*! My Dad Eats: A particular taste of Chicago...in this byline-less column, the writer -- probably LTH contributor Mike Nagrant -- highlights his father's idiosyncratic Chicago food favorites.
=====

=R=

“I firmly believe that if you love restaurants for the right reasons, they will love you back.” --Steven Shaw (RIP)

I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I ain't perfect but God knows I try --Todd Snider

Twitter: ronniesuburban

Lead Moderator
Posted January 26th 2011, 12:05pm
Media Digest for the week of January 26, 2011

From this week's Chicago Tribune and Food/Good Eating section:

A vote for venison...Monica Eng lays out many reasons why venison is a great choice. A recipe for Venison schnitzel a la Holstein is included. Additional information and recipes can be found in After the hunt.

Seeing red in the produce aisle...Bill Daley reports on a few unusual-looking varieties of produce that are soon to be found in local produce sections.

The kids' table: What's missing? Veggies!...in this special, Janet Helm reports that children don't eat enough vegetables and she offers a few tips for changing that.

The red and the brown...in this special, Zak Stambor says that Flanders-style beers are a perfect match for tradtionally-rich winter cuisine. He also makes a few recommendations.

Uncorked: For great wine, head to the rivers...in this special, Bill St. John contends that the growing conditions near rivers often lead to grapes that make great wines. Tasting notes are included.

Salads for wintertime...JeanMarie Brownson provides tips and recipes for salads, which take advantage of what's readily available now.

Smart play...Judy Hevrdejs provides tips and recipes for hosting a Super Bowl make-your-own burrito party.

Food calendar, Drink events...Elizabeth Schiele previews some of this week's food and beverage events.
=====

From this week's Chicago Sun Times and Food section:

Short-order chefs...Michael Austin chronicles the continuing momentum of down-scale dining, especially among chefs with fine-dining backgrounds.

Food Detective: Raccoon for dinner?...in this week's edition, LTHer David Hammond investigates an offbeat culinary tradition that's been going strong in Wisconsin for over 8 decades.

Pour Man: Drink more beer this year...the aforementioned Mr. Austin comes up with a novel and worthy new year's resolution.

Food 411...listings of some upcoming, food-related events around town. Previews for more events can be found in Tastings around town.
=====

=R=

<><><><><>
Updates from some Chicago media outlets, which do not 'go to press' before Wednesday mornings, will be added to this thread as they become available.
<><><><><>

“I firmly believe that if you love restaurants for the right reasons, they will love you back.” --Steven Shaw (RIP)

I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I ain't perfect but God knows I try --Todd Snider

Lead Moderator
Posted January 27th 2011, 3:28pm
Media Digest Addenda for the week of January 26, 2011

A Haitian Refuge...LTH contributor Mike Sula profiles Violette Adrien, who's fulfilled a long-time dream by opening Chez Violette on Howard Street in Rogers Park.

Grahamwich...the aforementioned Sula is relatively unimpressed with Graham Elliot's new sandwich shop. In New Too, Sula, Kate Schmidt, Kevin Warwick, Sam Worley, Heather Kenny, Julia Thiel and Ted Cox file brief reviews of 10 more recently opened spots.

Turnovers on Wheels...the aforementioned Kate Schmidt rounds up the weekly F&B industry news, including some upcoming events at The Butcher and Larder.

Key Ingredient: Guaje Seeds...in this installment of her weekly series, Julia Thiel chronicles what chef Mike Sheerin of Three Floyds Brewery (and the yet to open Trencherman) cooked with the guaje seeds he was assigned by chef Brian Enyart. Assisting with video is LTHer Mike Gebert.
=====

In this week's edition of Dish, Penny Pollack, Graham Meyer and Lena Singer preview Union Sushi + Barbeque Bar, which is slated to open in River North this coming May.
=====

Cheap: Japanese kaiseki...Heather Shouse explores which is a better kaiseki value, L20 or Sakura.

Fare wars...local chefs weigh in on the relative value of some luxury food ingredients, like truffles, foie gras, caviar and gold leaf.

Trending: Tater tots...Lisa Shames checks out the grown-up tater tots that are popping up in more and more restaurants throughout the city.

Melt down...LTHer Amber Gibson reports on the Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing of Berry Chill, which follows a Chapter 11 filing in 2010.

Play by beer...Madeline Nusser checks out the weeknight game offerings at a few local bars.
=====

Grayslake family shares heirloom Cuban recipes...food editor Deborah Pankey profiles the family of WGN newscaster Julian Crews, who have launched Old Havana Foods, a prepared food company, which will showcase many family recipes, a couple of which are included in the piece.
=====

Eat this! Pigs’ trotters, connoisseurs’ pork...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes links to Tom Harbord's blog, where a how to video for preparing pig's feet -- in the same method used by chef Micheal Lachowicz of Michael in Winnetka -- is provided.
=====

No new content has been posted at New City's web site this week.
=====

=R=

Lead Moderator
Posted February 2nd 2011, 12:47pm
Media Digest for the week of February 2, 2011

Prep School: It's the layers...in this installment, James P. DeWan provides some tips and recipe suggestions for puff pastry.

Black History Month: A culinary journey...in this special, Donna Pierce checks out High on the Hog: A Culinary Journey From Africa to America, by Jessica Harris. A couple recipes from the book are included.

Uncorked: The shadow knows...in this special, Bill St. John makes some wine recommendations that'll be useful regardless of what the Ground Hog sees this year.

The new braise...with the dead of winter upon us, Beverly Levitt reports on how some chefs have attempted to update this age-old cooking technique. A recipe for Red Wine & Citrus-Braised Duck Legs, from Akasha Richmond is included.

Ease into the New Year...Bill Daley interviews chef Ming Tsai whose new book, Simply Ming One-Pot Meals, is now on the shelves. A couple recipes from the book are included.

Food calendar, Drink events...Elizabeth Schiele previews some of this week's food and beverage events.
=====

The food processor at 40...in a piece partially researched here at LTHForum.com, frequent contributor Leah A. Zeldes provides some history and background on the machine that revolutionized home cooking. Quoted in the piece is Paulette Gardner, mother of LTHer Rob Gardner. Ms. Zeldes elaborates on the emotional connection she has to her Cuisinart in My friend, my food processor.

At the Chef’s Table: Game on...in this edition, chef Allen Sternweiler of Duchamp shares his recipe for Sage-Roasted Chicken Breast with Sweet and Sour Smoked Bacon Green Beans.

Lucky soup to start Chinese New Year...in this edition of the Low Mileage Kitchen, Judith Dunbar Hines sings the praises of hot and spicy soup. At the time of this posting, no recipe was included.

Food Detective: Liver’s sweet mates...in this week's installment, LTHer David Hammond sleuths out several dishes that pair liver with sweet ingredients, including chocolate and maple syrup.

Food 411...listings of some upcoming, food-related events around town. Previews for more events can be found in Tastings around town.
=====

=R=

<><><><><>
Updates from some Chicago media outlets, which do not 'go to press' before Wednesday mornings, will be added to this thread as they become available.
<><><><><>

Lead Moderator
Posted February 3rd 2011, 12:16pm
Media Digest Addenda for the week of February 2, 2011

Key Ingredient: Hops...in this installment of her weekly series, Julia Thiel reports on what chef Pat Sheerin, executive chef at the Signature Room at the 95th, cooked with the hops he was assigned by his brother Mike. Accompanying video is produced by LTHer Mike Gebert.

Westward Ho...Kate Schmidt reports on the week's F&B industry news, including a brief blurb about a Valentine's Day pop-up dinner from LTHers Justin Hall and Molly Schemper (FIG Catering), which will be held at Space Station Studio.

What's New: Haymarket Pub & Brewery...the aforementioned Ms. Thiel scouts this new spot on Randolph, which leaves her relatively unimpressed.

Valentine's Day Specials...an index of places offering specials on Valentine's Day.
=====

In this week's installment of Dish, Penny Pollack, Graham Meyer and Carly Boers report that chef Ariel Bagadlong (Mango, Wave, Blue Water Grill) will be taking over the kitchen at Aja.
=====

Here’s your art. Now eat it....Martha Bayne profiles LTHer Eric May, whose E-Dogz Mobile Culinary Community Center will blur the lines between culinaria and art.

The whole story of half shells...Heather Shouse provides this informative primer.
=====

Chili bar adds options for Super Bowl party...food editor Deborah Pankey makes a solid suggestion for Super Bowl fare. A recipe for Beer Chili is included.
=====

Eat this! Snow ice cream, because...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes shares a timely recipe.
=====

Family Beef: a barbacoa story...LTH contributor Mike Nagrant profiles the family behind La Favorita #2 in Pilsen, where several dishes, including the notable barbacoa, are made from scratch.
=====

=R=

Lead Moderator
Posted February 9th 2011, 12:56pm
Media Digest for the week of February 9, 2011

Hey dude, keep it simple when cooking your way to a woman's heart...with Valentine's Day right around the corner, Kevin Pang shares a few easy recipes for men who are a bit less experienced in the kitchen.

Slather on flavor while protecting delicate fish...Bill Daley provides tips and a recipe for keeping delicate fish moist and intact during cooking.

Sweet solutions that take the cake...Renee Enna relays a few suggestions for sprucing up and customizing store-bought cakes, which come from some well-respected experts and authors.

'Big Meal' cooks up a challenge...in this special, Nancy Maes explains the intricacies of preparing food that appears in live stage performances.

The kids' table: Are covert veggies the right approach?...in this special, Janet Helm focuses again on strategies for getting kids to eat more vegetables.

Uncorked: Love on a budget...in this special, Bill St. John shares tips and tasting notes on low-cost sparkling wines.

Roll with it...in this special (and photogallery), Lisa Futterman reports the results of her trials with several different types of rolling pins.

Easy as...in this special, Monica Kass Rogers shares tips and recipes for making historical stack pies.

Bar tools 2.0...Lauren Viera checks out some of the latest wave of bar tools on the market.

=====

Playing matchmaker with odd flavors...Jennifer Olvera checks in with some Chicago-area chefs, who provide tips on combining flavors for successful Valentine's Day wooing. Several recipes are included.

Chef’s Table: Truffles with heat...Nicole Greene, owner of Chicago-based Truffle Truffle, shares her recipe for Truffle Truffle’s Wasabi Truffle.

Valentine, will you work for food?...food editor Janet Rausa Fuller reports on what some area restaurants are doing to help diners celebrate Valentine's Day.

Food Detective: Shoot — there’s the food...LTHer David Hammond investigates the nuances of successful food photography. In addition to professional photographer Jeff Kauck, yours truly is also quoted in the piece.

Pour Man: Sky-high sommelier...Michael Austin interviews Ken Chase, who's in charge of the wine program for American Airlines.

New vegan diet survival guide...on the heels of Oprah's 'vegan week,' fitness expert and trainer for the President of the United States and the First Lady, Cornell McClellan, provides some tips for maintaining an animal-free eating regimen.

=====

=R=

<><><><><>
<><><><><>

Lead Moderator
Posted February 10th 2011, 3:02pm
Media Digest Addenda for the week of February 9, 2011

What's New: Salatino's...LTH contributor Mike Sula says that in conceiving Salatino's in Little Italy, a couple of experienced restaurateurs have aimed for giving the people what they want, instead of trying to break new ground.

Belle de Jour...LTHer Kristina Meyer files a favorable review of Maude's Liquor Bar on West Randolph.

French Press...Kate Schmidt rounds up the week's F&B industry news, including the opening of Martial Noguier's new Bistronomic in the Gold Coast.

Key Ingredient: Asafetida...in this week's installment of her weekly series, Julia Thiel reports on what Jason McLeod, executive chef at Ria and Balsan, cooked with this challenging ingredient.
=====

In this week's edition of Dish, Penny Pollack, Graham Meyer and Carly Boers provide a preview of the Hubbard Inn, which opens on Thursday February 10.
=====

From this week's newly-revamped Time Out Chicago - Restaurants & Bars section:

Time Out Chicago's 2011 Eat Out Awards...it's not too late to vote, as balloting is still going on for this year's edition of TOC's annual awards.

Goat’s milk coffee drinks...Julia Kramer checks out a couple of distinctive beverages that have popped up around town.

Restaurants to go to on Valentine’s Day 2011...David Tamarkin compiles the interactive list this year.

Blackbird... in the second installment of his The Iconic Table series, David Tamarkin re-assesses Blackbird.
=====

For the love of chocolate: Indulge your valentine without guilt...food editor Deborah Pankey provides a few recipes for lighter-than-usual Valentine's Day treats.

Fresh fare, superior service make Lu's Sushi and Chinese a standout...Izidora Angel reviews this Glen Ellyn spot, where the noodles are pulled by hand.
=====

Six romantic Valentine’s Day recipes from Chicago chefs...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes relays of her "favorite romantic recipes from Chicagoland restaurants."
=====

411: Sweet Love...David Wicik previews a Valentine's Day pop-up event at Fritz Pastry in Lincoln Park.
=====

=R=

Lead Moderator
Posted February 16th 2011, 12:30pm
Media Digest for the week of February 16, 2011

Making Chicago's top chef...Christopher Borrelli files a fascinating and in-depth profile of Alinea's Grant Achatz.

Man on a mission: Seeking true Wagyu...Kevin Pang scours Chicagoland in search of a seminal childhood food memory.

DarkCloud offers beans from small vendors...in this special, Susan Taylor visits this new coffee shop in Lincoln Park, where the coffee is made by the cup from an "outstanding selection of coffee from a variety of small vendors."

Beer of the month...Josh Noel recommends Firestone Walker Double Jack, a double India pale ale brewed in Paso Robles, CA.

Uncorked: Spain conquers...Bill St. John provides and primer and tasting notes for Spanish wines which, he reports, are among the best values in wine these days.

Spinach vs. romaine: Nutrition smack down...Wendy Donahue compares these greens and a few others, too.

Cognac brightens the dark...Lauren Viera provides a primer on this grape distillate, which is described by some as the Rolls Royce of brandys.

Food events, Drink events...Elizabeth Schiele previews some of this week's food and beverage events.
=====

Mood-boosting foods...Tavaner Bushman checks in with some food-industry pros -- most of them local -- to get advice on tweaking our diets to help our control moods.

Low Mileage Kitchen: Healthy snack time...in this installment of the Low Mileage Kitchen, Judith Dunbar Hines shares recipes for Nut Butter Granola Bars and Yogurt Cereal Bars.

Couples have their wedding cake and cookies, too...with wedding season just around the corner, food editor Janet Rausa Fuller reports that stand-alone cookie bars "are so casually chic, it hurts."

Food Detective: Pastrami hits all the right notes...LTHer David Hammond visits Fumare in the Chicago French Market, where Dick and Joan McCracken turn out a notable version of Montreal-style pastrami.

Chicago Restaurant Week opens Friday...the aforementioned Ms. Fuller previews this year's edition, in which over 200 local establishments will participate.

Kendall student now ‘Almost Famous’...the ubiquitous Fuller profiles Marco Bahena, a 21-year-old student at Kendall College, who won the S. Pellegrino Almost Famous Chef north central regional competition, which was held last week.

=====

=R=

<><><><><>
<><><><><>

Lead Moderator
Posted February 16th 2011, 9:53pm
Media Digest Addenda for the week of February 16, 2011

Omnivorous: Moonshiners...LTH contributor Mike Sula checks out the local underground distilling scene, which, by its very nature, is heading towards a convergence with the mainstream.

Morsels: A Haunt for Hemingway...Kate Schmidt rounds up the week's F&B industry news, including the opening of Hubbard Inn, where noted mixologist Benjamin Schiller "consulted on the list of ten specialty cocktails."

Key Ingredient: Jujubes...in this editon of her weekly series, Julia Thiel chronicles what chef Chris Pandel of The Bristol did with the jujubes he was assigned by Jason McCleod, formerly of Ria and Balsan.

What's New: Leopold...the aforementioned Sula files a review of this "'kind of Belgian'" spot in West Town, which he says is a bit uneven.
=====

In this week's edition of Dish, Penny Pollack, Graham Meyer and Carly Boers report that this summer, the owners of Mercadito plan to open Tavernita in River North, which will be helmed by Ryan Poli (Perennial, Butter).
=====

Three Uptowners pick their favorite neighborhood hangouts...in this, the Uptown Issue, Heather Shouse checks in with Kelly and Laura Cheng (Sun Wah BBQ) and Emmanuel Abidemi (Iyanze) to learn some of their favorite neighborhood spots.

Gluten-free Chicago...David Tamarkin tries to discern if Chicago's gluten-free movement reflects a medical condition or a trend. A companion piece lists 6 spots that are friendly to the gluten-free.

Spiaggia’s craft beer program...Lisa Shames reports that "for the first time in its 26 years of existence, the restaurant [Cafe Spiaggia] now offers two beers on tap.
=====

Vacant Lone Star Steakhouse will get three new restaurants...Deborah Donovan reports that an Arlington Heights site is being eyed as eye as the first Chicago area location for Nathan’s Hot Dog restaurant.
=====

Eat this! Lentils, a prehistoric foodstuff...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes gets the recipe for 3 Vines Cafe’s Lentils and Fennel with Sausage, from chef Eric Feltman.
=====

Too Many Cooks in El’s Kitchen: Opening a restaurant is far from heavenly. Staying open is hell....Sarah Louise Klose chronicles one local restaurateur's struggles to open and operate her business.
=====

=R=

Lead Moderator
Posted February 23rd 2011, 1:13pm
Media Digest for the week of February 23, 2011

Good Eating Awards 2011...the section's annual shout out to notable local culinarians -- including LTHer Melissa Graham, founder of Purple Asparagus -- is announced. A photogallery is included.

Soul searching...in this special, Natasha Tarpley reports that "among contemporary African-American chefs, soul food remains an ongoing topic of debate."

The Kids' Table...Bill Daley lays out some facts and gets some expert opinions about flavored milks.

Vanilla, French vanilla: What's the difference?...the aforementioned Mr. Daley explains it.

Uncorked: Looking for value?...in his weekly special, Bill St. John recommends 11 wines that are priced at $15 or lower. Tasting notes are included.

Allagash beers you don't know . . . but should...Josh Noel provides some tasting notes for "three to try."

Taking a taste of history...Steve Cavendish chats with Chris Kimball, who recently took a 19th century meal from the research phase all the way to a book and tv special inspired by the meal he prepared.

=====

A fine time to brine...Lisa Shames checks out how chefs around town are using brines. Several recipes are included.

Chef’s Table: Salt, not so simple...Justin Large, chef de cuisine at Big Star, recounts a salt-inspired epiphany he experienced while in culinary school and shares his recipe for Dulce de Leche Licuado.

Pour Man: Beer with Joe...Michael Austin describes a seminal moment in his life, which revolved around a neighbor sharing a few beers with him.

Food Detective: Can culinary students take the heat?...LTHer David Hammond gets several local chefs' takes on the relative value of culinary school.

=====

=R=

<><><><><>
<><><><><>

Lead Moderator
Posted February 24th 2011, 7:57pm
Media Digest Addenda for the week of February 23, 2011

Omnivorous: Dry No More...LTH contributor Mike Sula profiles industrious Paul Hletko and his Few Spirits in Evanston, which will produce "'the first legal alcohol ever made in Evanston.'"

What's New: Wasabi...LTH contributor Rob Lopata says that Wasabi in Logan Square tries to do too much and ends up not doing anything particularly well.

Green City Shake-Up...Kate Schmidt rounds up the week's F&B industry news, including details about Lyle Allen's departure as executive director of the Green City Market.

Key Ingredient: Beef Tendon...in this installment of her weekly series, Julia Thiel reports on what Greg Biggers, executive chef at Cafe des Architectes, cooked with beef tendon, which he was assigned by Chris Pandel of The Bristol.
=====

In this week's installment of Dish, Penny Pollack, Graham Meyer, Lena Singer and Carly Boers pose 4 questions to Rob Katz and Kevin Boehm about the morphing of Perennial into Perennial Virant.

Dish Flash: From Red Light to Red Meat...Penny Pollack and Graham Meyer report that after leaving Red Light a few months ago, chef Jackie Shen has landed at Chicago Cut Steakhouse, of all places.
=====

Giuseppe Tentori: The making of a celebrity chef...in this week's cover story, Julia Kramer files a thematic, behind-the-scenes look at the opening of Giuseppe Tentori's new, GT Fish & Oyster.

Taco throwdown: Taco Joint and Barrio Taqueria...David Tarmarkin compares these 2 new taquerias.

Hot ingredient: Pig’s feet...Samantha Saiyavongsa reports on what the chefs are doing with trotters at the Bristol, Paris Club and the Purple Pig.
=====

Local charity cookbook takes national award...food editor Deborah Pankey reports that the "Kids Feeding Kids Club of Barrington has another $5,000 in its coffers after its fundraising cookbook took first place in a community cookbook contest."
=====

Eat this! Bourbon, America’s native spirits...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes gets the recipe for Renaissance Schaumburg’s Beer & Bourbon Ice Cream, from chef Katherine Plucinski
=====

No new content has been posted this week at New City's site. Please, check back later for updates.
=====

=R=

Lead Moderator
Posted March 2nd 2011, 12:10pm
Media Digest for the week of March 2, 2011

Simplicity in the shell...Bill Daley advises on how to incorporate oysters into your Mardi Gras celebration. Recipes are provided.

Chef builds kitchen of chocolate and sugar...in this special to the Tribune, Alexa Aguilar reports on what Geneva chef Alain Roby is doing to raise awareness of heart disease.

Uncorked: Say 'petite sirah' and you've said a mouthful...in his weekly special, Bill St. John recommends some small but mighty petite sirahs.

Beer of the month: Einbecker Mai-Ur-Bock...Josh Noel recommends this German maibock.

A sound, super-green choice...the aforementioned Mr. Daley make a pitch for oysters and provides a few recipes, as well.

The Kids' Table: Better nutrition at the end of the rainbow...in this special, Janet Helm proposes some color-related methods for encouraging kids to eat more healthfully.

What else are you going to with all that corn?...in this special, Zak Stambor profiles Jeff Quint, founder of Cedar Ridge Distillery in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

=====

A chef writ large...food editor Janet Rausa Fuller profiles Grant Achatz and Nick Kokonas of Alinea, just days before their new book, Life on the Line, hits the shelves.

Food Detective: Perfecting paczki...LTHer David Hammond queries LTHer Dobra Bielinksi of Delightful Pastries for information about these traditional pastries that are typically enjoyed on "Fat Thursday."

Low Mileage Kitchen: Warm sips, cold nights...in this installment, Judith Dunbar Hines shares her recipe for Tiramisu Affogato.

Chef starts ‘salon’ for cooking, chatting...Ms. Fuller profiles food blogger and cooking school instructor Hugh Amano and his new venture.

Eater’s Digest: March calendar...a list of some upcoming, food-related events in March, sorted by date.
=====

=R=

<><><><><>
<><><><><>

Lead Moderator
Media Digest Addenda for the week of March 2, 2011

What's New: La Taberna Tapas Tweaks Tradition...LTH contributor Mike Sula says that this new University Village tapas spot is a lot more than what initially meets the eye.

Key Ingredient: Red Bean Paste...in this installment of her weekly series, Julia Thiel reports on what Jared Van Camp of Old Town Social cooked with the red bean paste he was assigned by Greg Biggers of Cafe des Architectes.

An Artisan Baker Brings Commercial No-knead Bread to Chicago...Anne Ford profiles Ehsan Ganji of Flourish Bakery Cafe in Edgewater, who fled Iran for the U.S. as a teenager in 1978.

Morsels: Homaro Canto's Ing Opens...Kate Schmidt rounds up the week's F&B industry news, including an update on Ing, which opened earlier this week.
=====

In this week's installment of Dish, Penny Pollack, Graham Meyer and Carly Boers report on a Milwaukee-based team that will soon be opening a place in Chicago.
=====

15 ways to fix Navy Pier...the TOC staff shares their suggestions, which include a brewery and a food-truck promenade.

Burton’s Maplewood Farm maple syrup...David Tamarkin documents the process of how this Indiana-made syrup is produced.

Drinking the kale-ade...Julia Kramer compares Green Corner and Peeled, 2 new juice bars in town.
=====

We love green eggs and ham...on the 50th anniversary of the iconic book by Dr. Seuss, Deborah Pankey gathers a few recipes that were inspired by it.

Cooking apps easy, but can leave you hungry for pictures...5th grader Jerome Gabriel, son of the aforementioned Ms. Pankey, explains why he likes his iPod touch and how he works around some of its limitations when using culinary applications.
=====

Mardi Gras? In Chicago, prepare for Paczki Day...as Fat Tuesday approached, LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes provides an interactive list of some places around that will offer these traditional pre-lenten pastries.
=====

Staying Power: Personal observations on Grant Achatz’s “Life, on the Line”...LTH contributor Mike Nagrant shares some personal observations about the new book Life, on the Line and chef Grant Achatz of Alinea, who co-wrote it with his long-time business partner Nick Kokonas.

Really Slow Food: Wintertime, and the living’s easy at the Green City Market...Tiana Olewnick files a profile of the Green City Market in its winter mode.
=====

=R=

Lead Moderator
Media Digest for the week of March 9, 2011

What's Next?...Kevin Pang provides a pre-opening glimpse of Next and gets some informative comments from its principals, Grant Achatz and Nick Kokonas.

Aviary's cocktails aiming high...Lauren Viera interviews Grant Achatz about the cocktail program at soon-to-open Aviary.

Journey to Malaysia...Bill Daley provides a primer on this cuisine and focuses on the new book, Flavors of Malaysia: A Journey through Time, Tastes and Traditions, by Susheela Raghavan. Mr. Daley also asks Is Malaysian food, the next hot cuisine?. Several recipes from Ms. Raghavan's book are included.

A spoonful here, a spoonful there...Barbara Mahany reports on how easy it is to consume unwanted calories while cooking.

Simply delicious...in this special, Zak Stambor profiles and interviews Todd Leopold, co-owner and founder of Leopold Bros. distillery in Denver, CO. Several applicable cocktail recipes are also provided.

Food calendar, Drink calendar...Elizabeth Schiele previews some of this week's food and beverage events.
=====

Gonnella bakery marks 125 years in Chicago...food editor Janet Rausa Fuller briefly profiles this venerable Chicago institution, which is ingrained into the fabric of Chicago culture. Some additional facts about Gonnella can be found here.

At the Housewares Show, the promise of the perfect kitchen...Ms. Fuller recaps the International Home and Housewares Show, where, she says, manufacturers are obsessed with creating the perfect kitchen tools.

Pour Man: Big bottles mean big fun (and good wine)...Michael Austin explains the differences in wine bottle sizes and advises that larger bottles are fun.

Brew 'n' stew: How to cook with beer...Amelia Levin relays tips from local chefs. Several recipes are included.

Food Detective: Root cellar revival...LTHer David Hammond investigates the old root cellar at Galena’s Steamboat House and gets some cellaring tips from LTHer Rob Gardner.

=====

=R=

<><><><><>
<><><><><>

Lead Moderator
Posted March 10th 2011, 2:13pm
Media Digest Addenda for the week of March 9, 2011

Key Ingredient: Fish Eyeballs...in this week's installment of her ongoing series, Julia Thiel reports on what chef Cary Taylor of The Southern cooked with the fish eyeballs that he was assigned by Jared Van Camp.

Morsels: Tuesday Night Dinner, an Underground Supper Club in a Lakeview Loft, Ramps Up...Kate Schmidt rounds up some of the week's F&B industry news, including notes about an expansion for the Lakeview-based Tuesday Night Dinner group.

Barrio Urban Taqueria & Taco Joint Urban Taqueria and Cantina...Kate Schmidt takes an early look at these 2 north-side taquerias, both of which seem to have a Big Star-influenced asethetic.

Listings: Food for the Soul...this week's sort focuses on soul food eateries, with brief reviews filed by LTHers Rob Lopata, Peter Engler and Gary Wiviott, and LTH contributor Mike Sula.
=====

In this week's Dish, Penny Pollack, Graham Meyer and Carly Boers report that nomadic chef Eric Aubriot has surfaced yet again, this time at Lure Izakaya Pub in Chinatown.

Dish Flash: Five Questions for Stephanie Izard...Penny Pollack and Graham Meyer pose a few questions about chef Izard's newest project, The Little Goat, for which preliminary plans were revealed earlier this week.
=====

Local Drinking Guide 2011

Martin Kastner: Aviary's glass master...Jessica Herman profiles this artisan, whose work has helped Grant Achatz redefine the way we eat and drink. Also provided is a sneak peek of Aviary cocktails and serviceware.

Matty Eggleston's cocktails...Julia Kramer profiles this talented bartender, whose work around town (and on the West Coast) has helped distinguish him as someone to watch.

Brothers’ can collection reveals Chicago brewery history...Jake Malooley showcases the awesome beer can collection of John and Mark Nelson.

Is Walgreens’ new beer Big Flats any different from Old Style or PBR?...Mr. Malooley sets up a blind tasting in which 4 local experts apply their powers of perception to this new brew.

The Adam Seger effect...David Tamarkin attempts to measure -- via interviews with industry professionals -- the sizeable influence of this local mixology maven.

Finch's Beer Co. and the business of beer...Heather Shouse profiles Ben Finch, whose loves of both beer and brand-building will soon intersect when his new beer line hits the shelves next month.

Small-batch wine, beer and spirits...Julia Kramer lists 9 restaurants where some small-batch wines, beers and spirits are exclusively served.

Brewery and distillery tours...Nicole Frehsee provides a brief list of local spots where tours are available.

From this week's Restaurants & Bars section:

Chicago’s doughnut scene...you didn't think we had one? In this slideshow, shot by Martha Williams, David Tamarkin does his best to convince you otherwise.

Chicago's new crop of Asian restaurants...what do these new spots have in common? Heather Shouse sheds some light on it.
=====

Sustainable shellfish a good fit for Lent...food editor Deborah Pankey explains why, and provides several recipes, as well.
=====

Eat this! Brussels sprouts, baby cabbages for St. Patrick’s Day...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes gets the recipe for Bistrot Zinc’s Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Prunes, from chef Tim Kirker.

Eat this! Rojik, something sweet from Armenia...Ms. Zeldes provides a traditional recipe for Rojik (Armenian nut candy), a delicacy which is served by chef Carrie Nahabedian at NaHa, with their cheese course.
=====

The Re-Produce Department: Unpeeling the mating habits of omnivores in Aisle 10...Patrick Roberts explains how, while at the grocery, his girlfriend schooled him on his powers of observation.

Waste Not: How Markethouse and other Chicago places are bringing the local food movement full circle...Veronica Hinke focuses on how Markethouse in Streeterville and other local devotees are successfully growing lasting roots for the local food scene.

=====

=R=

Lead Moderator
Posted March 16th 2011, 11:18am
Media Digest for the week of March 16, 2011

From this week's newly-revamped Chicago Tribune and Food/Good Eating section:

Leg lessons...Barbara Mahany relays tips and recipes for cooking legmeat from noted Los Angeles chef and restaurateur Suzanne Goin and Jean Anderson, author of Falling Off the Bone.

Try mild savoy cabbage for a St. Patrick's Day dish...Bill Daley provides some easy preparation tips.

Uncorked: The bitter revolution...Lauren Viera reports on the surging popularity of cocktail bitters and provides some brief background, as well. Quoted in the piece, among others, is Mike Ryan, head bartender at Sable.

Sometimes, a little less will do ya...Josh Noel sings the praises of ordering beers by the half-pint, and he advocates for more drinking establishments to offer them.
=====

A tip o’ the hat to the versatile potato...Michael Austin checks in with a couple of local chefs of Irish descent to get some tips and recipes for preparing the old, reliable spud.

Food Detective: Did you hear? Pig ears are in...LTHer David Hammond scours the area in search of the perfectly prepared rendition.

Low Mileage Kitchen: Coddle yourself with Irish country fare...in this installment, Judith Dunbar Hines shares recipes for Dublin Coddle and Irish Neighborhood Potatoes.

18 Chicago Italian restaurants earn ‘authentic’ seal...food editor Janet Rausa Fuller reports on which Chicago restaurants made the cut, according to Italy’s National Institute of Tourist Research.

Farmers, consumers connect at Family Farmed Expo...Ms. Fuller previews this weekend's upcoming event, now in its 6th year, which will take place at the UIC Forum.

=====

=R=

<><><><><>
<><><><><>

Lead Moderator
Posted March 17th 2011, 11:04am
Media Digest Addenda for the week of March 16, 2011

Pasta, Pugliese Style...LTH contributor Mike Sula profiles Viktorija Todorovska, a Chicago cooking teacher whose new book, The Puglian Cookbook: Bringing the Flavors of Puglia Home, will be released this spring. A recipe from the book for tiella can be found here.

What's New: Martial Noguier's Bistronomic and the Melmans' Paris Club...LTH contributor Mike Sula scouts these 2 new French spots, which he says are part of an imitative, Achatz-induced trend.

Key Ingredient: Sorghum Syrup...in this edition of her weekly series, Julia Thiel chronicles what Mindy Segal of Hot Chocolate cooked with the sorghum syrup she was assigned by Cary Taylor of The Southern.
=====

In this week's installment of Dish, Penny Pollack, Graham Meyer and Carly Boers check in with executive chef Ryan LaRoche of NoMi, which is slated to reopen this summer after being closed for renovations since January.
=====

Tournament of champions...in sync with the start of the annual NCAA Basketball Tourney, the TOC staff bracketizes several categories of Chicago's best offerings, including a few food-related ones.

Libby & Laura kosher baked goods...Julia Kramer profiles Laura Klibanow, who runs Libby & Laura, a kosher baking company on the North Shore, which aims to put a contemporary twist on some traditional recipes. In Chicago bakeries selling hamantaschen, 5 spots around town where the "official cookie of Purim" can be found.

Questions for Jim Slama...David Tamarkin interviews the founder and president of the FamilyFarmed.org, which which will hold its 6th annual expo this weekend at the UIC Forum.

The big chef swap...Tamarkin assesses a recent flurry of chef migrations.
=====

Stylish, sustainable items for lunch unveiled at housewares expo...food editor Deborah Pankey reports on some of the new innovations that were on display earlier this month at the International Home and Housewares Show.
=====

Eat this! Schnitzel, crispy cutlets from Vienna...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes gets the recipe for Edelweiss’s Schnitzel a la Holstein, from chef Hector Zapata.

Forget the green stuff, bring on the real beer...Ms. Zeldes provides an interactive list of some upcoming beer dinners taking place around town.
=====

Gilded Boy: Overnight sensation Brendan Sodikoff’s recipe for success...LTH contributor Mike Nagrant profiles the burgeoning empresario, who will soon add 2 new projects to his roster, which already includes Gilt Bar and Maude's Liquor Bar.
=====

=R=

Lead Moderator
Posted March 23rd 2011, 11:03am
Media Digest for the week of March 23, 2011

Sodium countdown...Bill Daley shares 10 simple ways to lower one's sodium intake.

The Kids' Table: A sane approach to picky eating...Nara Schoenberg recommends the book The Cleaner Plate Club, by Beth Bader and Ali Benjamin.

Big plates — big waistlines...Judy Hevrdejs says that there's research to support the notion that the bigger the plate, the bigger the portion.

LTHForum's Great Neighborhood Restaurant list...Ms. Hevrdejs reports on LTHForum.com's newly-minted, 2011 list.

Chicago chefs nominees aplenty at James Beard 2011; Tribune's Monica Eng also nominated...Phil Vettel and Keving Pang round up this year's local nominees.

A triumvirate of food, life, memory...Christopher Borrelli chats with chef Gabrielle Hamilton, whose new memoir, Blood, Bones & Butter is now on the shelves.

Brewery aims to lighten the stress of Dark Lord release...in this special, Zak Stambor reports on how Three Floyds brewery in Munster, IN plans to rein in this year's Dark Lord release festival.

Good Eating events...an index of upcoming, food-related events around town.
=====

Gadget game: Resisting the allure of shiny, useless kitchen tools...Laura Levy Shatkin implores her readers to avoid unnecessary temptation when it comes to kitchen gadgetry. A list of 10 kitchen tools you may regret is also provided.

At the Chef’s Table: Ancient farro getting new life...in this week's edition, Meg Colleran Sahs, chef di cucina at Terzo Piano, shares her recipe for Farro Polenta.

Books for Cooks: ‘Radically simple’ cooking...food editor Janet Rausa Fuller sings the praises of Rozanne Gold’s newest book, Radically Simple: Brilliant Flavors with Breathtaking Ease, which was released before the holidays but resonates even more now with spring upon us. A couple recipes from the book are excerpted.

19 Chicago area eateries make Great Neighborhood Restaurants list...Ms. Fuller rounds up LTHForum.com's fresh crop of 2011 GNRs.

Food Detective: Fraud on the menu...LTHer David Hammond gets to the bottom of certain persistently dubious menu claims.

Pour Man: Pairing beer with food...Michael Austin makes some general recommendations.

Girl & the Goat, Kahan among Beard finalists...the ubiquitous Ms. Fuller lists a few of the local finalists for this year's round of awards, which will be announced on May 9.

=====

=R=

<><><><><>
<><><><><>

Lead Moderator
Posted March 24th 2011, 10:53am
Media Digest Addenda for the week of March 23, 2011

What's New: Hubbard Inn...LTH contributor Mike Sula questions the connection between this inconsistent River North-er and the iconic author who purportedly influenced it.

Dinner on a Dime, From a Vintage Cookbook...Anne Spiselman provides some background on The Chicago Record Cook Book, which was published in 1896, and chef Troy Graves' recent forays into cooking some of its recipes.

Key Ingredient: Bananas...in this week's installment of their Beard award-nominated series, Julia Thiel and Mike Gebert chronicle what chef Mark Steuer of the Bedford cooked with bananas, which he was assigned by Mindy Segal of Hot Chocolate.
=====

In this week's edition of Dish, Penny Pollack, Graham Meyer and Lena Singer report that the team behind Gemini Bistro will open another restaurant in Lincoln Park in late spring or early summer.
=====

The cost of splitting...Julia Kramer launches against shared plates and all they represent.

Battle of the Memoirs: Achatz vs. Tramonto...Julia Kramer and David Tamarkin compare and contrast the 2 recently-released memoirs from these local chefs.

Save-A-Lot stores and food desert...Jake Malooley reports that there's anecdotal evidence that Chicago's food desert is shrinking.

Earwax regulars on almost losing their cafe...Malooley checks in with regulars, who got a reprieve recently when the owners reversed a decision to close the Wicker Park stalwart.
=====

Melting Pot out in Buffalo Grove, three new restaurants in...Steve Zalusky reports that negotiations are underway to bring 3 new restaurants to the corner of Arlington Heights and Dundee roads.
=====

Eat this! Gorgonzola, tangy blue cheese from Northern Italy...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes gets the recipe for Texas de Brazil’s Grape Salad with Roasted Apples and Gorgonzola Cheese, from chef Evandro Caregnato.
=====

No new content has been posted at New City's site this week.
=====

From Crain's Blogs:

Baconfest ups projected donation to Food Depository for 2011...Shia Kapos reports that the organizers of Baconfest are feeling some pressure to fully disclose how they spend the money they raise.
=====

=R=

Lead Moderator
Posted March 30th 2011, 11:59am
Media Digest for the week of March 30, 2011

Tea cuisine...Bill Daley files a brief, favorable review of Culinary Tea, by Cynthia Gold and Lise Stern. A recipe from the book is included.

Good news for Gary...Kevin Pang reports on the Hoodie Award that was recently won by Gordon Biffle and his Big Daddy's BBQ, which is located in Gary, IN.

Prep School: Simple steps for matzo balls that float...in this edition, James P. DeWan lays out the proper technique for making matzoh balls and provides a recipe for chicken soup with matzoh balls.

Good Eating events...an index of upcoming, food-related events around town.
=====

Butchery trade captivates new crop of cooks...Lisa Shames reports on the surging popularity of artisanal and home butchery in Chicagoland.

Having a ball with Latvian home cooks...Mark Taylor recaps the Latvian Hunter and Fisherman’s Ball, a food-focused fundraiser which was held earlier this month on Chicago’s Northwest Side. A couple of applicable recipes are included.

Food Detective: What to drink with pork...on the heels of last weekend's Cochon 555 event, LTHer David Hammond sleuths out some pork-friendly beverage pairings.

Singer Michael McDermott finds groove in coffee for a cause...Dave Hoekstra reports on the local singer's innovative plan for helping to feed the hungry.

Desperate times call for roasted tomatoes...with tomato season months away, Tim Mazurek provides a recipe and method for making the most of off-season supplies.

Eater's Digest: April calendar...a list of some upcoming, food-related events for April, sorted by date.
=====

=R=

<><><><><>
<><><><><>

Lead Moderator
Posted March 31st 2011, 1:52am
Media Digest Addenda for the week of March 30, 2011

Omnivorous: Chef Brian Jupiter's Got His Game On at Frontier...LTH contributor Mike Sula reports that this newcomer in Noble Square offers a lot more than what initially meets the eye.

What's New: After 14 years, Paul Kahan's trailblazing restaurant Blackbird is still flying high...LTH contributor Kristina Meyer says that the endurance of this River North stalwart is well-earned and well-deserved.

Key Ingredient: Confectioners' Sugar...in this installment, Julia Thiel chronicles what Stephanie Izard of Girl & the Goat cooked with the confectioners' sugar she was assigned by Mark Steuer. Video is provided by Mike Gebert.
=====

In this week's edition of Dish, Penny Pollack, Graham Meyer and Lena Singer report that the team behind Amelia’s Mestizo Grill in Canaryville will open Fogon in Noble Square this Saturday.
=====

The New Chinatown Square...Heather Shouse checks out the bevy of new spots that have popped up recently in the Chinatown Square Mall.

Street critique: Reviews of four new food trucks...Julia Kramer and David Tamarkin file their notes on 4 newbie food trucks.
=====

Spring forward with spring greens...with the season just around the corner, food editor Deborah Pankey reports on why greens are considered to be so beneficial. Several applicable recipes are included.

Don weighs in on the benefits of scales...Don Mauer explains why scales are a crucial part of eating and living healthfully.
=====

Eat this! Kefta, spicy meaty morsels from the Middle East...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes gets the recipe for Shokran’s Kefta Tagine, from chef Khalid Kamal.
=====

No new content has been posted at New City's site this week.
=====

=R=

Lead Moderator
Posted April 6th 2011, 11:24am
Media Digest for the week of April 6, 2011

Communal table...Chris Borrelli and Phil Vettel exchange several emails in which they discuss the merits -- or lack thereof -- of communal dining.

In defense of a drink at lunch...Josh Noel laments the judgmental, puritanical attitude about alcohol that has devauled the business lunch.

Craft beers surging in popularity...in this special, Robert Channick reports on what last week's buyout of Goose Island by Anheuser-Busch confirmed: many of Chicago's craft brewers are so busy, they can barely keep up with demand. Included are a graphic, which charts some popular area breweries and their specialties, and a photogallery of shots from local breweries.

Tasty solutions...William Hageman finds out how 3 celebrity chefs practice healthful eating in their everyday lives.

Uncorked: Pining for pinot...in this special, Bill St. John provides recommendations and tasting notes for several non-Burgundian pinot noirs that are still worthy wines.

Uncorked: Deconstructing Napa...in this special, Bill St. John provides a region-by-region primer to California's Napa Valley.

Feel-good sandwiches...Beard award nominee Monica Eng reports that sustainable meat is making its way onto more and more menus. Several locally-available sandwiches that feature it are listed.
=====

The secrets to cooking contest success...Sandy Thorn Clark gets tips and advice from some local experts.

Low Mileage Kitchen: Choose chicken with care...in this week's edition, Judith Dunbar Hines shares a recipe for Chicken and Mushroom Casserole, and provides some tips for choosing a high-quality bird.

Can’t beat advice in cop’s guide to cheap eats...Todd Shields profiles David Haynes and Christopher Garlington, authors of The Beat Cop’s Guide to Chicago Eats.

Food Detective: Impostors on the dessert menu...in this installment, LTHer David Hammond exposes a few borderline-fraudulent desserts that can be found around town.

=====

=R=

<><><><><>
<><><><><>

Lead Moderator
Posted April 7th 2011, 11:37am
Media Digest Addenda for the week of April 6, 2011

Review: At Chinatown's new Lure Izakaya Pub, Kee Chan and Eric Aubriot are nailing the drinking food. Now bring on more booze...LTH contributor Mike Sula says that the unlikely team behind Lure Izakaya Pub in Chinatown is doing a lot of things right but that just maybe, they should increase the booze options.

What's New: Homaro Cantu's Ing brings Motodelic Asian fare to the former Otom space...Sula says that at ING, the misses are more numerous than the hits.

Key Ingredient: Tamarind...in this installment of her weekly series, Julia Thiel chronicles what chef Randy Zweiban of Province cooked with the tamarind he was assigned by Stephaie Izard. Video is provided by Mike Gebert.
=====

In this week's installment of Dish, Penny Pollack, Graham Meyer and Lena Singer preview and provide some background on Mama Milano Pizza Bar, which scheduled to open next month in Old Town.
=====

Team Achatz...this photogalley from TOC photo editor Martha Williams and photographer Drew Reynolds features the chefs behind Grant Achatz at Next and Aviary.

The Aviary’s sassafras cocktail...this simple appearing cocktail delivers a lot more than initially meets the eye.

The Iconic Table: Arun’s...in this review, Heather Shouse says that the once highly-regarded Thai icon has lost its magic.

Next week, the readers' choice and critics' picks winners of the 2011 Eat Out Awards will be announced.
=====

Amish Friendship Bread plays role in new novel...food editor Deborah Pankey praises the new novel Friendship Bread, by Darien Gee, which takes its name from the dreaded, chain letter-like baking custom that haunted many of us in the 1990's.
=====

Revisiting the Great Depression...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes previews an upcoming 3-day seminar on depression-era food customs, which is being organized by LTHer Cathy Lambrecht and her Greater Midwest Foodways Alliance.
=====

No Reservations: The anti-Bourdain Wayne Cohen puts it straight on the line...LTH contributor Mike Nagrant reviews Cooking On The Line, in Wayne Cohen chronicles his journey -- at the age of 52 -- from bakery owner and president to line cook.

The Eat Beat: Things get explosive when cops talk food...Benjamin Rossi profiles Chris Garlington and David Haynes, radio show hosts and authors of The Beat Cop’s Guide to Chicago Eats.
=====

=R=

Lead Moderator
Posted April 13th 2011, 11:48am
Media Digest for the week of April 13, 2011

How to soften a tough cut for Passover...with Passover coming up next week, Bill Daley relays a recipe and some tips -- courtesy of Joan Nathan -- for turning out a successful brisket.

It's now safe to visit Irish pubs...with St. Patrick's Day in the rear-view mirror, Chris McNamara makes a few recommendations.

Bar incident leaves Goose Island's Greg Hall contrite...Josh Noel reports on a public urination incident by the man who was just bought out by Anheuser-Busch.

Putting gluten-free beers to the test...in this special, Lisa Futterman recommends a few gluten-free brews and says "If the Belgians are making them, they must be worth drinking."
=====

Chef’s Table: Waiting for spring’s bounty, salad at the ready...Giuseppe Scurato, chef and owner of Ceres' Table, shares his recipe for Asparagus and Sunnyside-Up-Egg Salad.

Food Detective: Savoring the Sonoran hot dog...in this week's installment, LTHer David Hammond reports that for the best version of this delicacy, one need travel no futher south than 26th Street.

Pour Man: How to order wine like a pro...Michael Austin provides some guidance on navigating wine ordering and the rituals surrounding it.

Recipe mavens, take note of contest deadlines...food editor Janet Rausa Fuller provides a list of some upcoming cooking contests and deadlines.

‘Worth the wait:’ Star chef Grant Achatz’s new restaurant opens...Ms. Fuller reports on the opening of Grant Achatz's Next, which officially opened its doors last Wednesday.

New York micro-winery makes its home in the Loop...Laura Levy Shatkin previews City Winery, which is slated to open late this year at the corner of Wabash and Monroe in the Loop.

=====

=R=

<><><><><>
<><><><><>

Lead Moderator
Posted April 14th 2011, 2:14pm
Media Digest Addenda for the week of April 13, 2011

Omnivorous: Lent, Mexican Style...LTH contributor Mike Sula identifies several places around town where fish tacos and other Mexican Lenten specialties are served.

What's New: Fish Bar...Sula says that for all its predictable annoyances, Fish Bar in Lakeview is turning out some decent fare. Additionally, several Spots for Seafood are also provided, with notes by the aforementioned Sula, LTHer David Hammond, the late Cliff Doerksen, Martha Bayne, Laura Levy Shatkin, Nicholas Day, Kate Schmidt and Anne Spiselman.

Key Ingredient: Miso...Julia Thiel continues her weekly series by reporting on what chef Michael McDonald of One SixtyBlue cooked with the miso he was assigned by Randy Zweiban of Province. Video is provided by Mike Gebert.
=====

Anonymous Restaurant Reviewing: Journalistic Gold Standard or Antiquated Parlor Game?...Jeff Ruby questions the value of anonymity among restaurant critics.

Best New Restaurants in Chicago 2011...Penny Pollack and Jeff Ruby release their annual list.
=====

2011 Eat Out Awards...TOC announces their annual awards in both the Readers' Choice and Critics' Picks categories.

Lobster rolls at GT Fish and Fish Bar: a comparison...David Tamarkin compares the lobster rolls at these 2 new spots.

Jameson, with a swirl...Julia Kramer checks out the soft-serve Jameson being served at the Boiler Room.

How Cantu learned to noodle...Heather Shouse reports on how Homaro Cantu learned to make the hand-pulled noodles that are on the menu at Ing.
=====

So many ways to enjoy soy...food editor Deborah Pankey sings the praises of soy and shares several recipes that feature it.
=====

Eat this! Gefilte fish, the Jewish aphrodisiac...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes gets the recipe for Wildfire's gefilte fish, from chef Joe Decker.
=====

No new content has been posted at New City's web site this week.
=====

=R=

Lead Moderator
Posted April 20th 2011, 10:51am
Media Digest for the week of April 20, 2011

Helping out in the kitchen...Kevin Pang recaps Monday night's Heal Japan Benefit Dinner, which was organized by Takashi Yagihashi and held at his Bucktown restaurant.

An Italian vermouth with an American name steps in for a French mate...in this special, Zak Stambor reports on Cocchi Americano, a relatively new spirit which is making an impressive impact on the current cocktail scene. Quoted in the piece is Sable's Mike Ryan.

Enduring love...Chris Borrelli reports that Eataly, located in Manhattan, reflects America's seemingly unending love for Italian food and culture.

Chicago's green restaurants...in this photogallery, several are showcased.

When the Polish lady says soup, you say yes...Kevin Pang says that in spite of its quirkiness, Podhalanka on Division St. delivers satisfying traditional Polish cuisine.

New food items at the Cell, Wrigley...Phil Vettel "calls 'em as he sees 'em."

Uncorked: For brisket, for lamb, for …in this special, Bill St. John recommends several wines that pair well with typical holiday fare.

Next stop: Fresh produce...Lolly Bowean reports on a plan to help eradicate a significant food desert on Chicago's south side.
=====

Artistic eggspression: Mastering the hard-cook method...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes reports on the many methods used -- some by local chefs -- to hard-cook eggs and use them in other dishes. In addition to several recipes, this list of 50 ways to devil an egg is also included.

Food Detective: Who’s to judge the bacon?...LTHer David Hammond recounts his recent experience as a judge at Baconfest 2011.

‘Midwest Eats’ program to re-create Depression food...Dave Hoekstra previews the Greater Midwest Foodways Alliance’s “Midwest Eats! Foodways of the Great Depression, which is taking place in town from April 29 - May 1. The 3-day event is being organized by LTHer Catherine Lambrecht, who heads the GMFA and is quoted in the piece. Also quoted is LTHer Peter Engler, who will speak during the event.

Low Mileage Kitchen: Eggs to admire, then eat...with Passover and Easter upon us, Judith Dunbar Hines shares some tips and recipes for egg dishes.

=====

=R=

<><><><><>
<><><><><>

Lead Moderator
Posted April 21st 2011, 1:35pm
Media Digest Addenda for the week of April 20, 2011

Books for Cooks...LTH contributor Mike Sula shares his thoughts on a round of recently released tomes, including memoirs from Grant Achatz and Rick Tramonto.

Key Ingredient: Aloe Vera...in this installment of her weekly series, Julia Thiel reports on what Bill Kim (Urban Belly, Belly Shack) created with the aloe vera he was assigned by chef Michael McDonald of One SixtyBlue. Video is provided by Mike Gebert.

What's New: Antico...Ted Cox checks out this new spot in Bucktown, where veterans of Alinea and A Tavola have teamed up.
=====

Dish is on vacation this week.
=====

They're gonna make it...Julia Kramer, Heather Shouse and David Tamarkin profile 3 new artisanal food producers in town.

Trending: Savory pies...the aforementioned Ms. Kramer identifies some places around town that are turning out these trend-worthy comestibles.

All virgin, no sacrifice...Ms. Kramer reports on the focus being applied to non-alcoholic beverage pairings at some local restaurants.

Easter 2011...Samantha Saiyavongsa compiles a list of places that will be serving brunch on Easter Sunday.

Four restaurants celebrating Earth Day...a bit of information is provided about what these 4 places will be serving on April 22.
=====

Ham or lamb both winners on Easter table...food editor Deborah Pankey says that either of these iconic meats will make for a great holiday meal. Recipes for both are provided.
=====

Eat this! Fava beans, bright green harbingers of spring...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes gets the recipe for Atwood Cafe’s Halibut Cheek Meringue and Fava Puree from chef Derek Simcik.
=====

411: Green Eggs and Mugs...Tiana Olewnick previews Brunch, a new, environmentally-friendly eatery that will serve brunch everyday.
=====

=R=

Lead Moderator
Posted April 27th 2011, 4:21pm
Media Digest for the week of April 27, 2011

It's a bite-by-bite triple-threat matchup...Kevin Pang compares the chicken nugget offerings at 3 major fast food chains.

Stirring advice from a star chef...Phil Vettel checks in with San Francisco-based chef Danny Bowien for some tips on successful Mongolian barbecue.

A right royal cake...Bill Daley provides background and a recipe for one of the cakes that will likely be served at the Royal Wedding.

Small but mighty...Lauren Viera rounds up a few entry-level choices for small-batch bourbons.

When to brunch — or not...Christopher Borrelli and Phil Vettel make some brunch restaurant recommendations.
=====

Pour Man: Refreshing beers for the warm season ahead...Michael Austin makes some recommendations for brews that go well with warm weather, should it ever actually show up.

Food Detective: Punch line on a plate...LTHer David Hammond recounts a few dishes that convey a sense of humor -- including the Short Stack of Mango Pancakes served at Zealous -- that he's had around town.

At the Chef’s Table: Tame ‘wild’ rhubarb with sweetness...in this installment, Tony Galzin, pastry chef at mk, advocates the use of trusted grocery or farmer-supplied rhubarb over the wild, city stuff.

Farmers market coming to Grant Park...Lisa Donovan reports that the entity behind the Chicago French Market in the Ogilvie Center -- Bensidoun USA -- plans to open a summer market at the south end of Grant Park.

With rhubarb, take the less predictable route...food editor Janet Rausa Fuller digs into the Sun Times' archives to find some less conventional rhubarb recipes.

=====

=R=

<><><><><>
<><><><><>

Lead Moderator
Posted April 28th 2011, 2:28pm
Media Digest Addenda for the week of April 27, 2011

Cocktail Challenge: Sable's Mike Ryan tackles garlic mustard...LTH contributor Mike Sula pens a new, weekly feature in which a local bartender is challenged to create a cocktail using a mystery ingredient handed off by the previous week's participant. This week, Sula kicks things off by "gifting" Mike Ryan of Sable some garlic mustard plants. Relatedly, in this week's Omnivorous column, Sula provides some background on this invasive plant and offers some culinary solutions for its use.

Transformations: Under new toque Greg Biggers, seasonality and sweetness reign at Cafe des Architectes...the aforementioned Sula says that Greg Biggers has taken some risks in applying a seasonal approach to his new menu at Cafe des Architectes.

Listings: Eight spots for spring...Sula, LTHer David Hammond, Kathie Bergquist, Martha Bayne and Ira Glass review 8 spots where Spring is translated onto plates.

Scraps: Defaced Barware, new hope for food-truck fans, a Share Our Strength bake sale, and more...Kate Schmidt rounds up some local F&B industry news, including a note about the line of distinctive barware made by Pete Gugni, the beverage director at the Bedford, which is scheduled to open tomorrow.

Key Ingredient: Dried Shrimp...in this installment of her weekly column, Julia Thiel chronicles what Carlos Gaytan of Mexique cooked using the dried shrimp he was assigned by Bill Kim. Video is provided by Mike Gebert.
=====

In this installment of Dish, Penny Pollack, Graham Meyer and Carly Boers report that Geno Bahena has returned, yet again . . . this time with Danzon in Logan Square.
=====

This week's cover story, The City That Shaped Me, includes accounts from R.J. & Jerrod Melman, Doug Sohn and Mindy Segal of how growing up in Chicago formed them.

Pleasant Farms urban gardens take root...David Tamarkin profiles Pleasant Farms, a network of small plots that will supply the soon-to-open Pleasant House Bakery.

Cheap eats profile: Smoke Signals...Heather Shouse checks out this new bbq spot in Park Manor, which is run by the self-taught Ali Lahiani.

Springtime sodas...Tamarkin checks out the house-made spring sodas at 3 local restaurants.

Captain Morgan Club vs. Bacardi at the Park...Heather Shouse and David Tamarkin compare the product placement bars at Chicago's MLB ballparks and dismiss them both.
=====

With new chef, Niche maintains steady course...food editor Deborah Pankey revisits Niche in Geneva, where Serena Perdue is now chef de cuisine.

Learning to live gluten-free...with the Gluten & Allergen Free Expo coming up this weekend, Ms. Pankey provides tips and a recipe.
=====

Eat this! Rhubarb, the tart taste of spring...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes gets the recipe for Mana Food Bar’s Rhubarb Pickles, from chef/owner Jill Barron.
=====

411: Meet the Big Cheese...Tiana Olewnick previews this weekend's inaugural Artisan Producer Festival, which is being organized by Greg O'Neill of Pastoral Artisan Cheese.
=====

=R=

Lead Moderator
Media Digest for the week of May 4, 2011

Make the best French fries ever...James P. DeWan instructs on how.

Love of beer reigns at Dark Lord Day...Josh Noel recaps last weekend's event at Three Floyds Brewery in Munster, IN and provides a brief review of the 2011 vintage.

Walk the line...shameful as they may be, Kevin Pang identifies 3 buffets that he'd introduce to his mother.

Chardonnay: The great grape...Bill St. John contends that this grape is everywhere for a good reason. Some recommendations are provided.

Detroit BBQ: Lyric or fact?...Bill Daley questions the existence of Detroit BBQ outside of the well-known song lyric and gets LTHer Gary Wiviott's take on the matter, too.
=====

Family favorite: Chefs rely on moms for culinary inspiration...with Mothers Day coming up on Sunday, food editor Janet Rausa Fuller visits with some local chefs who reveal how they've been influenced culinarily by their mothers and grandmothers. Several recipes are included.

At the Chef’s Table: Having it all in the neighborhood...Joncarl Lachman, the chef and owner of HB Home Bistro, shares the joys of his restaurant's close connection to its neighborhood. A recipe for Shellfish Stew, Sardinian-Style is included.

Certain dishes only Mom can make...Ms. Fuller finds out what dishes some local chefs love their moms to make for them. Recipes are included.

Food Detective: Food that makes you go, “Ha!”...LTHer David Hammond reports on a few locally-served dishes that provide a novel take on the traditional.

Chicago Heights carniceria has tamales all wrapped up...Paul Eisenberg visits La Loma, a grocery and taqueria in Chicago Heights, where the tamales are highly regarded. A recipe for La Loma's Chicken Tamales is included.

Books for Cooks: Help for your fiestas...Ms. Fuller recommends a couple of newly-released cookbooks -- one from Robert Santibanez and another from Lourdes Castro.

Which Chicagoan will undergo a home cook makeover? Vote now...the ubiquitous Ms. Fuller reports on an experiment that will conclude with one local home cook getting a makeover and being provided culinary instruction and guidance by noted chef John Bubala (Thyme/Timo, Baccala), who is now an instructor at Kendall College.

Eater’s Digest: May happenings...a listing of some upcoming food and beverage events in May.
=====

=R=

<><><><><>
<><><><><>

Home Cookin'

Online Information