LTH Forum Holiday Party

Lead Moderator
Posted September 22nd 2010, 7:06pm
Media Digest Addenda for the week of September 22, 2010

This week in the Chicago Reader's Food & Drink section:

What's New...it's an LTH roadblock as Kristina Meyer scouts Arami in West Town and Mike Sula pays an early visit to Burger Bar and Sono Wood Fired in Old Town. 10 additional reviews of recently-opened spots are also provided, with submissions by the aforementioned Sula, as well as Anne Spiselman, Julia Thiel, Izidora Angel, Kevin Warwick and Ted Cox.
=====

From Chicago Magazine's on-line Dining section:

Pensiero Ristorante Drama in Evanston...in this week's edition of Dish, Penny Pollack and Kaitlin Petersen report on the recent upheaval at this venerable North Shore eatery.
=====

From this week's Time Out Chicago - Restaurants & Bars section:

Cook the books...brief previews of several new fall-release cookbooks, with submissions by David Tamarkin, Julia Kramer and Heather Shouse, among others.

At the market with...Sarah Levy of Sarah's Pastries & Candies shares her recipe for Rafael’s Apple Shortbread, which she makes with ingredients from the Oak Park Farmers' Market.

The hit list: Five don’t-miss events at Chicago Gourmet...Shelby Blitz makes some recommendations for this weekend's upcoming mega-event.

Five minutes with… Chantelle Pabros...Julia Kramer interviews the former sommelier at L20, who's now overseeing the beverage program at Chizakaya.

Tour: Bike the farm...Elizabeth Ulion chronicles her recent bike expedition in Humboldt Park with Cob Connection, which runs several urban 'farms.'
=====

From this week's Daily Herald - Food section:

No new locally-originating content has been posted at the Herald's site this week.
=====

Posted this week at Dining Chicago.com:

Eat this! Paillard, pounded meat, quick and versatile...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes gets the recipe for Pinstripes’ grilled chicken paillard, from chef Mark Grimes.
=====

Posted this week at NewCity Chicago's Newcity Resto site:

On Fowl and Filipino Breakfast: Uncle Mike’s is a place of pleasant contradictions...LTH contributor Mike Nagrant files a favorable review of this West Town eatery, which has gotten a fair amount of attention here at LTHForum.com over the past several months.
=====

=R=

"When you’re young, it’s all fillet steak. But as you get older, you have to move onto the cheaper cuts..." --M. Gustave

I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I ain't perfect but God knows I try --Todd Snider

Twitter: ronniesuburban

Lead Moderator
Posted September 29th 2010, 2:21pm
Media Digest for the week of September 29, 2010

From this week's Chicago Tribune and Good Eating section:

Your go-to white wine...Bill Daley provides information and tasting notes on several different Sauvignon Blancs.

Harvest rewards...Monica Eng reports on how farmers make quick use of their fall bounties. Several recipes from the farmers with whom she spoke can be found here.

'Kings' of Chicago...Monica Eng takes a look at the documentary film 'Kings of Pastry,' which focuses on Chicago's French Pastry School co-founder Jacquy Pfeiffer. The film will be shown for one week, beginning on Friday, at the Gene Siskel Film Center.

Simple steps lead to cooked lentils...in this special, James P. DeWan provides a primer on how to prepare these legumes, and shares a recipe, as well.

Get crackin': Time to go wild for black walnuts...Bill Daley informs us that October is Black Walnut Month.

Wrangling the stinking rose...in this special to the Tribune, Lisa Futterman tests and reports on 5 garlic prep devices. An accompanying photogallery can be found here.

A tasting stroll down the Trader Joe's beer aisle...Josh Noel rates as many different beers as he could find at Trader Joe's...and learned that they run the gamut.

Drink events...Elizabeth Schiele previews some of the week's upcoming beverage events.
=====

From this week's Chicago Sun Times and Food section:

Oysters, from Gulf to plate...Dave Hoeskstra reports on one Louisiana seafood producer who's emerged stronger than even after this summer's Gulf oil spill.

Going meatless? Get keen on quinoa...in this installment of At the Chef's Table, Jill Barron, chef/owner of Mana Food Bar, recommends quinoa as an excellent, protein-rich replacement for meat.

A cappella group sings praises of food through centuries...Lisa Donovan checks in with Jonathan Miller, director of Chicago a cappella, a local group which takes great influence from the world of food.

Pass the pie: Canned pumpkin is back...AP reports that this year's crop is already arriving in stores, after last year's supply was virtually wiped out by weather.

McDonald's snack wraps about to get supersized...Cheryl V. Jackson reports on the chain's plans to increase the calorie counts in their wrap items.

Eater's Digest: October happenings...a day-by-day listing of some food-oriented events coming up in October.
=====

=R=

<><><><><>
Updates from some Chicago media outlets, which do not 'go to press' on Wednesday mornings, will be added to this thread as they become available.
<><><><><>

"When you’re young, it’s all fillet steak. But as you get older, you have to move onto the cheaper cuts..." --M. Gustave

I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I ain't perfect but God knows I try --Todd Snider

Lead Moderator
Posted September 29th 2010, 4:57pm
Media Digest Addenda for the week of September 29, 2010

What Would Signore Vincenzo Say?...LTH contributor Mike Sula profiles Great Neighborhood Resource J.P. Graziano Grocery Company in the West Loop. Additionally, brief reviews of 13 additional "Old-School Italian" spots are filed by the aforementioned Sula, as well as LTHers David Hammond and Gary Wiviott. Kate Schmidt, Martha Bayne, Chip Dudley and Laura Levy Shatkin also file.
=====

In this week's installment of Dish, Penny Pollack shares her mixed first impressions of Chicago Cut Steakhouse.
=====

Rich's kids...David Tamarkin profiles and interviews R.J. and Jerrod Melman -- sons of Rich Melman -- who plan to open a French restaurant later this year.

Fall menu preview...17 area establishments provide sneak peeks of their fall offerings.

At the market with...LTHer Eddie Lakin, proprietor of Edzo's in Evanston, shares the recipe for his Edzo's Market Burger, which he makes with ingredients from several sources that all sell at the Evanston Farmers' Market.
=====

Tasty trio: Soup finds compatible partners in salads, sandwiches...food editor Deborah Pankey provides recipes for all 3 parts of this harmonious culinary trio.
=====

Eat this! Oysters on the half shell, worthy of Venus...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes relays tips for preparing oysters on the half-shell, from chef James Papadopoulos of Sam & Harry’s in Schaumburg.
=====

Divine Davanti: Little Italy can always use more Italian joints like this...LTH contributor Mike Nagrant likes a lot about Davanti in Little Italy, the latest spot from restaurateur Scott Harris.
=====

=R=

Lead Moderator
Posted October 6th 2010, 1:31pm
Media Digest for the week of October 6, 2010

The essence of Tuscany...Bill Daley reports on how Chiantis reflect Tuscany, the region from which they come. Tasting notes are included.

Culinary page-turners...Barbara Mahany profiles librarian Amy Alessio, who has a collection of hundreds of vintage cookbooks.

Birra Moretti La Rossa...Jerald O'Kennard reviews this fall-appropriate brew from Heineken Italia.

Search for rye whiskey turns up neglected gem...in this special, Zak Stambor highlights WhistlePig Rye, which is the relatively new progeny of former Maker's Mark master distiller Dave Pickerell.

Condiment culture...in this photogallery, accompanied by comments from Bill Daley, a variety of condiments -- common and offbeat -- are profiled.

Hangover Cures, Myths & Remedies...in this photogallery, several myths are confirmed and busted.

Calendar, Drink events...Elizabeth Schiele previews some of the week's upcoming food and beverage events.
=====

Taking a bite of heirloom apples...with the season upon us, Sandy Thorn Clark explores the world of heirloom apples. A photogallery and several recipes are included.

Five hot restaurants that work magic...food editor Janet Rausa Fuller provides a brief glimpse of what's hot right now, as she checks out 4 restaurants and the food truck category.

Keeping greens going after first frost...Judith Dunbar Hines provides detailed information, as well as a recipe for Sausage And Beans with Italian Greens.

Macaron mania: a pastry chef's challenge...Lisa Shames reports on Fritz Pastry's Nathaniel Mead's goal of creating 100 flavors of the French cookie by end of 2010.

In fashion for fall: using freezer to full advantage...Lisa Donovan reports on her efforts to freeze the best of the fall season for later use.

Tastings around town...previews of the week's events in food and beverage. Additional information about food industry-related events and news can be found here, in Food 411.

Recession fails to popularize organ meats...Tom Witom reports on the apparently failed prediction that tough economic times might spur the popularity of offal. Master Butcher Dave Zier of Zier's Prime Meats in Wilmette is quoted in the piece.

French contest not for cream puffs...the aforementioned Ms. Fuller takes a look at the intense, locally-focused documentary, Kings of Pastry, which is wrapping up its week-long run in Chicago.
=====

=R=

<><><><><>
Updates from some Chicago media outlets, which do not 'go to press' on Wednesday mornings, will be added to this thread as they become available.
<><><><><>

Lead Moderator
Posted October 6th 2010, 6:34pm
Media Digest Addenda for the week of October 6, 2010

Singla, Meet Ebert...LTH contributor Mike Sula spends his week cooking resourcefully from 2 new, locally-originating cookbooks: The Indian Slow Cooker, by former CLTV reporter Anupy Singla and The Pot and How to Use It by Sun-Times film critic Roger Ebert. As a tie-in to the Singla book, several brief reviews are filed -- in Devon Street Dining -- by the aforementioned Sula, LTHers Gary Wiviott, David Hammond, Kristina Meyer and Mike Gebert, as well as Cara Jepsen, Martha Bayne, Laura Levy Shatkin and Nicholas Day.

Bread & Circuses...Martha Bayne reports on Logan Square Kitchen, yet another business caught in the city's confusing web of food regulations and laws.

The Heartland in Crisis...Deanna Isaacs reports on the plan that may help save the Heartland Cafe from its own poor fiscal management.
=====

In this week's installment of Dish, Penny Pollack, Lena Singer and Kaitlin Petersen chat up IPO, which opened quietly earlier this week in the Chicago-City Center hotel.
=====

Life after sushi...with the new mini-wave of new Japanese places popping up in town, Julia Kramer and David Tamarkin provide a brief primer of cooked Japanese cuisine, with the assistance of a few industry professionals.

Interview: The front runner...Novid Parsi chats with local chef Art Smith, who lost 100 pounds and will run in the upcoming Chicago Marathon.

At the market with...Bill Kim, owner of Belly Shack (and Urban Belly), shares his recipe for Squash & Sweet Potatoes, which he makes with ingredients sourced at Rowan Trees Farmers Market.
=====

From this week's newly-revamped (and still quite glitchy) Daily Herald - Life & Entertainment section:

Once-private Forge Club defines what it means to 'dine'...Deborah Pankey reviews the 40-year-old Forge Club in Vernon Hills, which opened to the public just last year.

Forever a classic: Explore tiramisu and all its delicious versions...Ms. Pankey provides several recipes for this Italian classic.
=====

Eat this! Parmigiano-Reggiano, the king of cheeses...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes relays the recipe for Carlucci’s Linguini with Fresh Basil, Prosciutto di Parma, Butter and Parmigiano-Reggiano, shared by chef Kevin Provenzano.

Fall fun in McHenry County...Ms. Zeldes provides an interactive list of several PYO apple orchards in McHenry County.
=====

From the Trib Local Highland Park/Highwood edition:

Adopt a Sailor for Thanksgiving...LTHer Catherine Lambrecht explains this program and why participating in it is such a good idea.
=====

It looks like LTH contributor Mike Nagrant has gone on another bender this week. Please, check back later for updates. :wink:
=====

=R=

Lead Moderator
Posted October 13th 2010, 2:28pm
Media Digest for the week of October 13, 2010

Safe to eat? Or not? Site aims to help consumers...Renee Enna recommends a web site that helps make sense of expiration and "use by" dates on products.

Supermarket science...William Hageman explores the powerful and coordinated psychology behind food retailing.

Market comes to you...in this special, Susan Taylor checks out the offerings of Farmers Market 2U, a new home and office food delivery company.

Margarita's Achilles' heel...in this special to the Tribune, Margaret Sheridan gets the opinions of several professionals on which orange liqueur is the best one for Margaritas.

Calendar, Drink events...Elizabeth Schiele previews some of the week's upcoming food and beverage events.
=====

Secrets of the food pros...Julianne Will gets some of Chicago's top purveyors to answer the questions most often asked of them.

The big banger theory: Irish breakfast gains fans...Maureen O'Donnell seems to be noticing a trend that Irish breakfasts are showing up more around town.

It’s all fowl play in city backyard coops...Lisa Donovan reports on the current proliferation of home chicken coops.

Chef's passion is staying true to ingredients...in this installment of At the Chef's Table, Curtis Duffy of Avenues shares his seasonal recipe for Pumpkin Risotto.

'Top Chef' hopeful takes powder...food editor Janet Rausa Fuller recaps Malika Ameen's curious decision to quit Top Chef Just Deserts.

Tastings around town...previews of the week's events in food and beverage. Additional information about food industry-related events and news can be found here, in Food 411.
=====

=R=

<><><><><>
<><><><><>

Lead Moderator
Posted October 13th 2010, 6:49pm
Media Digest Addenda for the week of October 13, 2010

French Twist...LTH contributor Mike Sula files reviews of newcomers Henri on South Michigan, Chizakaya in Lakeview and Sawtooth in the West Loop. Also provided are brief reviews of "Eleven more recent openings," with contributions from the aforementioned Sula, as well as LTHer Kristina Meyer, Kate Schmidt, Julia Thiel, Kevin Warwick, Fred Sasaki and Anne Spiselman.
=====

In this week's installment of Dish, Penny Pollack, Kaitlin Petersen, Lena Singer, and Jeff Ruby report that "Balcony Café, on the second floor of the Art Institute’s Modern Wing, will be reborn this Friday as Caffe Moderne, with the team upstairs at Terzo Piano taking charge." The Dishers also provide a brief glimpse of Taylor Street, which is currently undergoing a bit of a culinary renaissance.
=====

What's Next in Chicago Food - The Food Innovation Issue

The Innovators:
David Tamarkin interviews Grant Achatz of Alinea.

Heather Shouse interviews David Meyers of Chicago Coffee Confederation.

Laura Baginski interviews Cleetus Friedman of City Provisions.

Julia Kramer interviews Ty Fujirama of Arami, Small Bar and The Exchange.

Julia Kramer interviews Zina Murray of Logan Square Kitchen.

Chefs weigh in on what’s next...several local chefs, including Stephanie Izard, Laurent Gras and Kristine Subido, provide glimpses into what's just around the corner for Chicago's food scene.

More:
Taylor Street revival, by David Tamarkin.

Home delivery goes green via bikes, by Martina Sheehan and David Tamarkin.

The CSA model isn’t just for produce anymore, by Martina Sheehan.

Next dessert trend: using the whole fruit or vegetable, by Kate Leahy.

Next wave in booze...Justin Anderson, bartender at Branch 27, share his predictions for the future of cocktails in Chicago.

Next wave ingredient: Beef...Heather Shouse reports that beef is giving pork a reprieve on area menus.

Next: In-house butcher...Heather Shouse reports that in-house butchery can actually help restaurants cut costs.

Still more, the Restaurant & Bars section:
The artisan: No sister act...Tim Mazurek profiles Kathe Roybal and Tracey Vowell, the team behind 3 Sisters Garden.

Three-way...David Tamarkin reports on what 3 local spots are doing with Asian pears.

At the market with...Jason Hammel of Lula Cafe shares his recipe for Celery and pear soup with celery leaf and walnut pesto, which he makes with pears from the Green City Market.
=====

From this week's recently revamped (still quite glitchy; all pre-revamped links are dead) Daily Herald - Life & Entertainment section:

Inspired by nutrition, her grandma and Julia Child...Deborah Pankey profiles Renee Zonka, Manager of School Operations and Academics at Kendall College.
=====

Eat this! Mussels, mighty fine mollusks...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes gets Bistro 110’s recipe for Mussels with Coriander and Lemon, from chef Dominique Tougne.
=====

Toro Titan: Arami signals a new sushi master in town...LTH contributor Mike Nagrant positively glows over Arami in Ukrainian Village.
=====

=R=

Lead Moderator
Web
Posted October 20th 2010, 6:39pm
Media Digest Addenda for the week of October 20, 2010

====

Mike Sula fondly reviews the Wealth of Injeras Edgewater’s Kukulu market. There’s more than one type of this Ethiopian bread. Who knew?

Kate Schmidt, Tasneem Paghdiwala (Mrs. Ira Glass), Martha Bayne, Edward McClelland and me Eat with our fingers at a bunch of local Ethiopian places.

=====

Janet Rausa Fuller reviews two books about One Pot Cooking by Anupy Singla and Ming Tsai that open vistas far beyond the pot roast.

Jennifer Olvera explains how Foragers Find Nourishing Bounty Within City Limits – which explains why she couldn’t go with Gebert and me to eat cheese in Wisconsin last week.

Remember chili at Danny’s in Northfield? Judith Dunbar Hines does, fondly, and then reveals the secret of their recipe.

Sophia Markoulakis digs into pears

====

Some writer from LA explains What Makes Good Hash. . Spoiler alert: it’s not about weed.

Horrific restaurant patrons are the topic of Christopher Borelli’s contribution this week. Scary, scary stuff kids.

Not technically a review of Mastro’s, but more like an “announcement,” I guess, from Phil Vettel.

=====

Amalie Drury shakes off her inhibitions and begs for dollars at Oakwood, and has the chutzpah to write about it, well.

=====

David Tamarkin gets fingered at Davanti Enoteca and finds it hot.

Heather Shouse wants to like Chicago Q , but the girl can’t help it: she doesn’t. (But really, the Farrah Fawcett ref! Did you have to?)

Julia Kramer and David Tamarkin tour Sandwich City, which is very helpful for those who haven’t yet visited Mac and Min's, Happy Bodega, Gaztro-wagon, Simple Sandwich, LM Le Café and Pret A Manger.

North Pond’s Mike Weiler reveals his recipe for Picante Rouge.

Julia Kramer tells us all about Eric Hays’ Cocktails at Bar Deville and Duchamp, including The Judge, which looks from the pic like a goblet of bubbling tar, but in a good way.

Kathleen Costanza reviews Mastro’s , which sounds terrible.

=====
From this week's Daily Herald - Life & Entertainment section:

Jennifer Olvera eats a lot of Greek food Tasso’s in Naperville that you’ve probably had before.

=====

LTHer Leah Zeldes connects the historical dots between Indian burial mounds and Las Palmas’ la cabeza rellena.

=====

Jonas Simon shares the story of how the community is lending a hand to help Heartland Café . Little known fact (I heard from a communard at Karma Farm in Wisconsin) Michael James of Heartland drove from Wisconsin to Chicago in ’68 with precious cargo: the pig that was nominated for President by the temporary denizens of Grant and Linclon Parks.
=====

“We all have to stand before the kitchen gods.” Chef Jacob Sahaya Kumar Aruni

Lead Moderator
Posted October 27th 2010, 10:39am
Media Digest for the week of October 27, 2010

Appetite for adventure...Judy Hevrdejs checks in with Diana Kennedy as her newest cookbook, Oaxaca al Gusto: An Infinite Gastronomy, hits the shelves. A few recipes from the book are included.

Discover Carmignano...Bill Daley praises these Italian wines, which are blends of sangiovese and cabernet grapes. Tasting notes are included.

Cook and freeze today — enjoy later...the ubiquitous Mr. Daley files a brief, favorable review of Cook & Freeze: 150 Delicious Dishes to Serve Now and Later, by Dana Jacobi.

Using the whole hog is part of deli's mission...in this special to the Tribune, Susan Taylor visits the recently-opened City Provisions Deli in Ravenswood, which has a decidedly artisanal bent.

Caterer makes transition to gluten-free meals easier...in this special, Thomas Connors profiles the Berghoff family, who now eat gluten-free because of a recent Celiac disease diagnosis in the family.

10 steps to perfect homemade pasta...in this special, James P. DeWan provides them . . . along with a recipe for Pasta with fresh basil and garlic sauce.

Sit down, stay awhile...in this special to the Tribune, Zak Stambor sings the praises of session beers, which contain less alcohol and therefore, allow for longer drinking sessions.

=====

Beyond pumpkin pie...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes reports on how pumpkin is being used in a plethora of innovative, non-pie dishes. Recipes from a couple of local chefs are included.

In hot pursuit of India's 'ghost pepper'...in his debut as the Sun Times' new 'Food Detective,' LTHer David Hammond sleuths out the incendiary bhut jolokia.

A chef's soulful offering: pork in chile sauce...in this edition of At the Chef's Table, Armando Gonzalez of Las Palmas shares his recipe for Dia de los Muertos Pork Tenderloin, which he cooks to honor his late grandmother.

=====

A big thanks to David Hammond, for compiling the Digest last week. :)

=R=

<><><><><>
<><><><><>

Lead Moderator
Posted October 27th 2010, 9:14pm
Media Digest Addenda for the week of October 27, 2010

Dutch Courage...LTH contributor Mike Sula checks out the Dutch cuisine at Vincent -- in the former La Tache space -- in Andersonville. Anne Spiselman pays an early visit to Davanti Enoteca on Taylor Street and LTHer Kristina Meyer scouts the Gold Coast's Chicago Q. In In the Neighborhood, recommendations for several additional dining options in Andersonville are provided. Submissions here are from the aforementioned Sula, as well as Martha Bayne, Laura Levy Shatkin and Kathie Bergquist.
=====

In a Dish Flash, posted earlier today, Penny Pollack and Kaitlin Petersen report on 2 new West Town projects from Greg Mohr and Scott Weiner -- at least one in conjunction with Michelle Garcia of Bleeding Heart Bakery.
=====

A communal thing...David Tamarkin and Julia Kramer order communal entrees at 3 area restaurants and report on the experiences. A photoset by Marina Makropoulos accompanies the piece.

Not-so-simple syrup...Heather Shouse reports on the upcoming launch of Jo Snow Syrups, from Melissa Yen, a former partner in the now-shuttered Vella Cafe.

Can this hot dog turn you vegan?...in honor of World Go Vegan Week, Kathleen Costanza feeds vegan food to a fellow TOC staffer who claims to have never had vegan fare.

Restaurant & Bar-related content, as part of this week's Underground Chicago cover feature . . .

Underground supper clubs...David Tamarkin, Laura Baginski, Jake Malooley, and Julia Kramer revisit some of Chicago's "underground" supper clubs to judge how underground they really are.

Hornswoggler Arts...Jason A. Heidemann profiles Graham Hogan and Joe Rynkiewicz, who ply their mobile mixology skills in exchange for fine art.

The scene...Jake Malooley profiles Debbie Gaston, who grills illegally on city streets for the late-night bar crowd.
=====

From this week's recently revamped (and still quite glitchy) Daily Herald - Food section:

No new content of note was posted at the Herald's site this week.
=====

Eat this! Fresh apple cider, the toast of autumn...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes gets the recipe for Harvest’s cider-braised pork shoulder, from chef Sherman Scott.
=====

No new content has been posted at New City's site this week.
=====

=R=

Lead Moderator
Posted November 3rd 2010, 10:18am
Media Digest for the week of November 3, 2010

Bidding farewell to wine writing...Bill Daley announces that after 6 1/2 years of wine writing, he'll now be focusing on other areas of food writing at the Tribune. Good luck, Bill! :)

Dinner at home: Elegant hens inspire confidence...JeanMarie Brownson sings the praises of cornish game hens and provides a recipe, as well.

When old is good...in this special to the Tribune Bill St. John describes how grapevines perform at various ages. Tasting notes for 2 wines made from old vines (Vieilles Vignes) are included.

Talking turkey: Fewer birds — higher prices...the aforementioned Mr. Daley provides a forecast of this year's holiday turkey market.

Beer of the month: Coney Island Albino Python Lager...in his monthly missive, Jerald O'Kennard recommends this "extreme" brew.

Tradition meets modern life in 'Nigella Kitchen'...in this special, Wendy Donahue reports on Nigella Lawson's current book tour, which will bring her through Chicago (Oak Brook) next week.

A little sip of Italy in a pistachio liqueur...Joe Gray sips Verdenoce, an Italian, pistachio-based liqueur from Dumante.

Drink events...Elizabeth Schiele previews some of the week's upcoming beverage events.
=====

Get saucy: Use a drizzle here, a dollop there to add oomph...Jennifer Olvera reports that "sauces are workhorses of the kitchen," and she gets input from a variety of local industry folks to support her claim. Several applicable recipes are also included.

American Munster on the milder side...in this week's Food Detective installment, LTHer David Hammond investigates the up-and-coming artisanal side of American-made munster cheeses.

An apple crisp for what ails you...in this week's installment of The Low Mileage Kitchen, Judith Dunbar Hines shares the recipe for her Cure-All Apple Crisp.

Recipes skimp on ingredients, not flavor...food editor Janet Rausa Fuller files brief reviews of a couple of newly-released cookbooks: Claire Robinson’s 5 Ingredient Fix: Easy, Elegant and Irresistible Recipes and Desserts 4 Today: Flavorful Desserts With Just Four Ingredients, by Abigail Johnson Dodge. Excerpted recipes from both books are included.

In bid for 'More' business, cupcake truck hands out freebies...the aforementioned Ms. Fuller reports on what the folks who run More Mobile Cupcakes are doing to increase their business.

Community garden takes root from teen theater...the ubiquitous Ms. Fuller reports on how the "Albany Park Theater Project's production of "Feast" has inspired the creation of a community vegetable garden in the park that's home to the theater."

Eater's Digest: November happenings...a day-by-day listing of some upcoming food events in November.
=====

=R=

<><><><><>
<><><><><>

Lead Moderator
Posted November 3rd 2010, 6:22pm
Media Digest Addenda for the week of November 3, 2010

The Art of the Bonbon...Anne Spiselman profiles Chris Nugent, chef at Les Nomades who's developed a notable talent for chocolate-making. Also provided in French Fare, are brief reviews of 10 neighborhood bistros, with submissions by the aforementioned Spiselman, LTHer David Hammond, LTH contributor Mike Sula and Martha Bayne, among others.
=====

In the current installment of Dish, Penny Pollack gets 'razzle dazzled' during her inaugural visit to Mastro's Steakhouse.
=====

The Bars Issue

50 unknown bars...John Dugan, LTHer Karl Klockars, D.L. Hopkins, Angela Barnaby, David Tamarkin, Lauren Weinberg, John Greenfield, Martina Sheehan, Christina Couch, Kate Leahy, Novid Parsi, Jake Malooley, Mark Bieganski, Laura Baginski and Julia Kramer showcase 50 area bars that are somewhat under the radar.

Five bar perks...Erin Ensign reports on some off-menu items that are available to those in the know at 5 local bars.

Five overlooked barkeeps...Adam Seger identifies 5 local bartenders who may not get the hype but certainly deserve the accolades.

Where there’s smoke...Jake Malooley visits a couple area bars where the smoking ban isn't really enforced.

Restaurants & Bars section

Old enough to drink...Julia Kramer chats with several local mixologists about the new trend of barrel-aging entire batches of finished cocktails.

Five spots with house-selected whiskey barrels...Julia Kramer identifies 5 places in town that have selected and purchased their own barrels of whiskey.

Three-way...David Tamarkin finds out what 3 local places are currently doing with pâté.

Hare bender...Julia Kramer and Katherine Sacks chat with several local chefs about how they are currently preparing rabbit and why they enjoy working with it.
=====

White House chef back home for award...Deborah Pankey reports that Cristeta Comerford is back in town to accept the March of Dimes Chicago Chef of the Year award.
=====

Eat this! Polenta, a universal peasant food...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes gets the recipe for Duke’s Alehouse and Kitchen’s Pan-seared Polenta Cake with Goat Cheese, from chef Zak Dolezal.
=====

Confessions of a Foochebag: Del Seoul’s Korean tacos charm a cranky stomach...LTH contributor Mike Nagrant says that Del Seoul in Lakeview has just what was needed to cure him of his temporary foodie disgust.
=====

=R=

Lead Moderator
Posted November 10th 2010, 11:24am
Media Digest for the week of November 10, 2010

Michelin Guide Chicago announces its Bib Gourmand winners...Phil Vettel recaps the list, which is bound to stir some controversey among the foodie elite.

Why France matters in world of wine...in this special to the Tribune, Bill St. John explains why even amidst the globalization of wine, France is still a major force.

Cottage food businesses get help...in this special, Robin Mather reports on how new laws in Michigan have made it easier for small food businesses to open and develop.

=====

Neil Steinberg's Stuffing Chronicles...with Thanksgiving just around the corner, Neil Steinberg chronicles a task that became something of an obsession.

Eateries beef up grass-fed menu options...food detective and LTHer David Hammond reports on why some restaurants are offering more grass-fed beef.

Enjoying wine just as dad did...local free-lancer Michael Austin recalls his father's no-nonsense approach to appreciating wine.

Sometime cook serves up stark music...Dave Hoekstra profiles musician Ben Weaver, whose new album, Mirepoix and Smoke, was inspired by time he spent cooking at some Twin Cities restaurants.

Chef supports a return to our food past...in this installment of At the Chef's Table, chef/owner Paul Fehribach of Big Jones in Andersonville shares his fondness for food traditions and his recipes for Cheddar Cheese Biscuits and Apple Butter.

Tastings Around Town...previews of the week's events in food and beverage. Additional information about food industry-related events and news can be found here, in Food 411.
=====

=R=

<><><><><>
<><><><><>

Lead Moderator
Posted November 10th 2010, 6:31pm
Media Digest Addenda for the week of November 10, 2010

Warmer Climes...LTH contributor Mike Sula and Kate Schmidt review several spots in town for "hot Latin American chow." Featured are reports on Laguardia's Cuban Bistro (Sula), Cassava (Sula) and 90 Miles Cuban Cafe on Armitage (Schmidt). Additional reviews in the category are also provided by the aforementioned Sula, LTHers David Hammond and Seth Zurer, Julia Thiel and Martha Bayne.
=====

In this week's installment of Dish, Penny Pollack, Kaitlin Petersen and Lena Singer interview Brandon Baltzley, head of the new crew at Mado.

In an installment of Dish posted late last week, Penny Pollack, Jeff Ruby and Lena Singer interview David Beran and Craig Schoettler about Next and The Aviary, the upcoming projects from the Alinea team, which they will helm respectively.
=====

Starry-eyed...several local chefs prognosticate how many stars they are likely to be awarded when the first-ever Chicago Michelin dining guide comes out next week.

Trending: Autumnal sidecars...David Tamarkin checks out 3 seasonal libations from local bartenders.
=====

Give thanks for make-ahead recipes...Deborah Pankey profiles Barrington resident Kelly Donlea, author of Organizing Dinner, who shares several make-ahead recipes for Thanksgiving.
=====

Eat this! Enchiladas, Mexican comfort food...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes gets the recipe for Guanajuato’s Enchiladas San Miguel, from chef Margarita Challenger.
=====

No new content has been posted at New City's site this week. Please, check back later for possible updates.
=====

=R=

Lead Moderator
Posted November 17th 2010, 1:05pm
Media Digest for the week of November 17, 2010

Wines that go with everything at Thanksgiving...in this special to the Tribune newspapers, Bill St. John makes some recommendations for Thanksgiving wines.

Scrambling the eggs, not the story of Julia Child...the focus is mainly on Julia Child, as Bill Daley reviews the TimeLine Theatre's production of To Master the Art, as well as 'The French Chef': Julia in letters "As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child & Avis DeVoto", which was edited by Joan Reardon.

=====

Thanksgiving to go: Plan ahead and pack smart for movable feast...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes explores the portable side of Thanksgiving and which types of dishes generally work best for folks that bring food to other peoples' homes. Several applicable recipes are included.

Next for Achatz: Cocktails in, and out of, the glass...LTHer David Hammond, aka the Food Detective, checks out how Alinea chef/owner Grant Achatz plans to apply his culinary asethetic to libations.

Tuber tutorial: Choose wisely and keep warm...food editor Janet Rausa Fuller gets timely potato and turkey-carving tutorials from Shelley Young, owner of the Chopping Block.

Pumpkin soup that's more tart than sweet...in this installment of the Low Mileage Kitchen, Judith Dunbar Hines shares her recipe for Pumpkin Lemongrass Soup.

First Chicago Michelin guide stars 23 eateries...Ms. Fuller reports the results of the first-ever Chicago dining guide by Michelin, which was released earlier this week.

Tastings Around Town...previews of the week's events in food and beverage. Additional information about food industry-related events and news can be found here, in Food 411.
=====

=R=

<><><><><>
<><><><><>

Lead Moderator
Posted November 18th 2010, 11:09am
Media Digest Addenda for the week of November 17, 2010

Bohemia in Berwyn...LTH contributor Mike Sula profiles Czech Plaza restaurant in Berwyn and the Drozda family, who owns and operates it.

Turkey Service...an alphabetical listing of places around town serving Thanksgiving dinner.
=====

In this week's installment of Dish -- compiled by Penny Pollack, Graham Meyer and Lena Singer -- Dean Carson, proprietor of Carson's barbecue restaurants rants about the new wave of bbq spots that are currently popping up all over town. Mr. Carson lumps rubs, liquid smoke and marinades together and categorizes them as chemicals.
=====

Tradition, gobbled...Julia Kramer lists several places where premium, artisanal items for the Thanksgiving table can be found.

Time Out Chicago’s Thanksgiving Guide 2010...Kathleen Costanza lists restaurants in town serving Thanksgiving dinner.

Six spots open on (but not celebrating) Thanksgiving...don't like turkey? Check out this list.

Trending: Cheese curds...David Tamarkin reports on how the little nuggets are being prepared at the Southern, Sable and C-House.

Hot sauce: Simon's debuts white glogg...Julia Kramer quaffs this seasonal libation, which is new this year at Simon's Tavern in Andersonville.

Holiday Gift Guide

Gift Guide: The food obsessive...Brian Riggenbach, who works FOH at Balsan and cooks for the Yo Soy dinner club, makes recommendations for food-related gifts.

Gift guide: The cocktail connoisseur...Julia Kramer and cocktail enthusiast Scott Cameron come up with several great gift ideas for the cocktail lover in your life.
=====

Salsa 17 chef shares stuffed peppers...Deborah Pankey profiles chef Jose Luna and his family's Salsa 17 restaurant in Arlington Heights. Their recipe for Chiles Enogadas is included.
=====

Eat this! Heart of palm, an exotic taste of the tropics...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes gets the recipe for Jerry’s Hearts of Palm Salad, from chef chef Bridget Burns.
=====

Octopus Now: Saigon Sisters soothe the crankiest critic of all...LTH contributor Mike Nagrant, who's still working through his earlier-reported crankiness, says the fare at Saigon Sisters in the West Loop is helping him do so.
=====

=R=

Lead Moderator
Posted November 21st 2010, 11:20pm
Media Digest for the week of November 21, 2010 - Thanksgiving Edition

T'day with a French twist...Bill Daley profiles noted culinarian and author Dorie Greenspan to learn how she plans to celebrate Thanksgiving. A couple of Greenspan's recipes are included.

After the feast, be creative...Mr. Daley shares some inspirations and innovations for Thanksgiving leftovers.

Take steps toward creamy and delicious...in this special, James P. DeWan lays out the singer method, a cooking technique which can be applied to many recipes, especially some typically served at Thanksgiving. A recipe for 'Creamed' baby spinach is included.

Calendar...Elizabeth Schiele previews some of the week's upcoming food events.
=====

At restaurateur Jimmy Bannos’ home, Thanksgiving is an Italian-meets-Southern spread...Lisa Shames reports on how this noted local chef and his family celebrate Thanksgiving. A couple of applicable recipes are included.

Warm up to winter citrus...in this installment of At the Chef's Table, Randal Jacobs of Elate shares his recipe for Winter Citrus Gazpacho.

Cranberry as star, fresh, frozen or dried...in this installment of the Low Mileage Kitchen, Judith Dunbar Hines shares her recipe for Thanksgiving Salad.
=====

=R=

<><><><><>
<><><><><>

Lead Moderator
Posted December 1st 2010, 12:28pm
Media Digest for the week of December 1, 2010

From this week's Chicago Tribune Food/Good Eating section:

2010 Chocolate cookie contest...results, recipes and photos of this year's contest winners are provided.

Author fires up a pepper tome...William Hageman profiles author Dave DeWitt, whose 30th cookbook, 1,001 Best Hot and Spicy Recipes, recently hit the shelves. A recipe from the book is included.

Meatballs, from S to XL...JeanMarie Brownson provides a primer and few applicble recipes, too.

Swap those cookies!...Alexia Elejalde-Ruiz provides tips from 3 new cookbooks, which focus on how to host holiday cookie swap parties.

Easy does it...Barbara Mahany interviews Ina Garten about her newest book, How Easy Is That? Fabulous Recipes & Easy Tips and shares 10 tips provided by Garten.

=====

Hanukkah in transition: A global feast...as the Jewish festival of lights kicks off, Amelia Levin details some of the holiday's less well-known culinary traditions. Several recipes are provided.

Festive treats — and gluten-free...in this installment of the Low Mileage Kitchen, Judith Dunbar Hines shares a recipe for Gltuen-Free Chocolate Cookies.

Wild for fatty salmon...in this week's edition of the Food Detective, LTHer David Hammond explores what makes wild salmon so compelling.

Eater's Digest: December happenings...a day-by-day listing of some upcoming food events in December.
=====

=R=

<><><><><>
<><><><><>

Lead Moderator
Posted December 1st 2010, 8:19pm
Media Digest Addenda for the week of December 1, 2010

This week in the Chicago Reader's newly-expanded Food & Drink section:

Kluwak Kupas...in this new feature called Key Ingredient, chefs will be challenged to come up with a use for a mystery ingredient. In the inaugural installment, Julia Thiel challenges Alinea's Grant Achatz to come up with a recipe which incorporates kluwak kupas. Each week's chef decides who gets challenged next and which ingredient he or she will have to work with. For next week's challenge, Achatz has handed the challenge off to Curtis Duffy of Avenues, who will come up with a use for Chinese black beans.

Eager Cleaver...LTH contributor Mike Sula checks in with Rob Levitt, who discusses, among other topics, his new Butcher & Larder in Noble Square, which is set to open next week.

Prize Pork...the aforementioned Sula, along with Martha Bayne and Heather Kenny provide brief reviews of several spots in town which serve charcuterie.

What's New: Del Seoul...Sula visits provides an early scouting report on this new, Korean-influenced spot in Lincoln Park.

Hellos and Good-Byes...Kate Schmidt rounds up some current openings and closings, including the upcoming closure of Drinks Over Dearborn, which will happen at the end of the year.

A British Pub With Burger King Views...LTH contributor Mike Sula visits Owen & Engine and Watershed. LTHer Kristina Meyer scouts Chicago Cut Steakhouse.

In the Neighborhood: Logan Square...brief reviews of several spots in this up and coming north side neighborhood. Submissions here are from the aforementioned Sula, LTHer David Hammond, Anne Spiselman, Martha Bayne and Ira Glass.
=====

In this week's edition of Dish, Penny Pollack, Graham Meyer, & Lena Singer report on the opening of Bluette in Wilmette, the first suburban foray from David Richards, chef/co-owner of Sweets & Savories and co-owner of Mado. The Dish team also gives a poke to LTHForum.com.

Because there’s amazing food on almost every corner...in this photogallery, Esther Kang, Megan Lovejoy, Jennifer Moore, Penny Pollack, Jeff Ruby, Lena Singer, Jennifer Tanaka, Kim Thornton, Todd Urban, and Cassie Walker share their favorite dishes in the city and suburbs.
=====

True Brit...Amy Carr checks out the slew of recently-opened British-style pubs in town.

The hot seat: Chef Susan Goss of West Town Tavern...David Tamarkin interviews Ms. Goss about her new, self-published cookbook.

Three-way...Julia Kramer finds out what 3 local chefs are currently doing with quince.

The feed: Six places celebrating Hanukkah...Kathleen Costanza compiles the lists and provides a few details.

Hot sauce: Winter punch bowls...Julia Kramer reports on the seasonal libations being served at three local bars.

Drink and be a Mary...Jason A. Heidemann checks out the holiday cocktails and beers at 6 local gay bars.
=====

Classic cookies fit into modern holiday baking...Deborah Pankey explains that holiday cookies are the perfect antidote for our often too-fast-paced lifestyles. Several applicable recipes are provided.
=====

Eat this! Timballo Siciliano, something different to do with pasta...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes gets the recipe for Ristorante al Teatro’s Timballo Siciliano, from chef Vince Geraci.
=====

No new content has been posted at New City's site this week.
=====

Even more from LTH contributors:

Posted recently at Culinary School Adviser

Rob Levitt...LTHer Jeff Tobin provides an in-depth profile of and interview with Rob Levitt, who, along with his wife Allie, recently left Mado and plan to open their own shop, The Butcher & Larder, in Noble Square.

Creative Solutions for Dormant Space...in this piece posted at GapersBlock.com, LTHer Amber Gibson explores how the pop-up concept is being applied at various businesses around town. Though the piece isn't entirely focused on food, there's an interview with Jason Hammel, (Lula Cafe and Nightwood) in which he recounts his recent experiences with pop-up restaurants.
=====

=R=

Lead Moderator
Posted December 8th 2010, 11:56am
Media Digest for the week of December 8, 2010

Unearthing the gems...Christopher Borrelli interviews author Amanda Hesser, the force behind The Essential New York Times Cookbook, which was released in October.

Umami paste sparks food...Bill Daley checks out the new, Taste No. 5 Umami Paste, from London restaurateur and author Laura Santtini.

No kitsch in this kitchen...in this special to the Tribune, Jennifer Day explores the Counter Space: Design and the Modern Kitchen exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

Stout shout-out...in this special, Zak Stambor reports on the re-release of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, which is back on U.S. shelves after a 91-year absence.

Uncorked: The World's Best Homing in on the New World...in this special, Bill St. John identifies what he feels is the best wine from 6 different 'new world' countries.

Kitchen curiosity...Steve Cavendish files a review of Cooking for Geeks, by Jeff Porter.

Food calendar, Drink events...Elizabeth Schiele previews some of the week's upcoming food and beverage events.
=====

From this week's newly-revamped Chicago Sun Times and Food section:

Cookie-cutter holiday...food editor Janet Rausa Fuller shares some details about one of her favorite holiday traditions -- a cookie exchange with her sister in New Jersey -- and talks to several other local food-folk, including LTHer Eli Malone, about theirs.

A little Italy, with fondue and ham...in this installment of At The Chef's Table, Dean Zanella of Rhapsody shares his recipe for Fontina and Prosciutto Fonduta.

Licorice that's not for kids...LTHer David Hammond, aka The Food Detective, investigates several unusually intense licorice applications.

Tastings around town...previews of some of the week's events in food and beverage.
=====

=R=

<><><><><>
<><><><><>

Lead Moderator
Posted December 8th 2010, 7:44pm
Media Digest Addenda for the week of December 8, 2010

What's New...LTH contributor Mike Sula visits the recently opened Acre in Andersonville, which was spawned by the team behind Anteprima.

Top Ten Books for Cooks...with the gift-giving season upon us, Sula provides his list of the year's best releases.

Room at the Inn...Kate Schmidt rounds up information on several upcoming food & beverage-related events.

Recommended in the Loop...the sort is on Loop area restaurants and brief reviews are provided by the aforementioned Sula and Schmidt, as well as LTHers David Hammond and Kristina Meyer. Reviews from Laura Levy Shatkin, Kathie Bergquist, Rob Christopher, Peter Sagal, Anne Spiselman and Ellen Joy are also included.

Chinese Black Beans...in this week's installment of Key Ingredient, Julia Thiel reports on what chef Curtis Duffy of Avenues did with the Chinese black beans 'assigned' to him by chef Grant Achatz of Alinea. Included is a recipe for the dish Duffy devised. Next week, John des Rosiers of Inovasi takes up the baton. Not mentioned earlier -- and my apologies for the omission -- is that video for Key Ingredient is produced by LTHer Mike Gebert.
=====

In this week's edition of Dish, Penny Pollack, Graham Meyer and Lena Singer report that veteran chef Ryan McCaskey will open a seasonally-focused place of his own in the South Loop in the second half of 2011.
=====

100 best things we ate (and drank) in 2010 (in no particular order)...David Tamarkin, Heather Shouse and Julia Kramer wrap up the year in F & B with their favorite tastes of 2010.

Eat by numbers...the TOC crew analyzes some trends that have emerged in the 6 years of their 'best of' lists.

Seating double...David Tamarkin interviews Marlene Benitez, who was inspired during an Earth Hour celebration to open a restaurant (El Apagon) within her already exsiting restaurant (Frida's).

Jingle brews...Heather Shouse checks out some Christmas brews that are available at local bars.

=====

Texas chef acclimating to Midwest menus...food editor Deborah Pankey profiles and interviews chef Scott Halverson, who runs the kitchens at Prasino in St. Charles and LaGrange. Chef Halverson's recipe for Braised Short Ribs is included.

Restaurants serving more healthful foods...Deborah Pankey highlights recent research that supports the idea that one can eat more healthfully at restaurants these days.

Cookbooks for gift giving..Don Mauer lists a few that he feels make the cut.
=====

Eat this! Ribollita, ribsticking winter ’soup’ from Tuscany...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes gets the recipe for Piccolo Sogno’s La Ribollita, from chef Tony Priolo.
=====

No new content has been posted at New City since November 23.
=====

Michelle Garcia: Bleeding Heart Bakery...LTHer Jeff Tobin posts and in-depth interview with this polarizing baker and entrepreneur.
=====

=R=

Lead Moderator
Posted December 15th 2010, 11:00am
Media Digest for the week of December 15, 2010

Empanadas enterprise arrives in Chicago...in this special to the Tribune newspapers, Susan Taylor reports on the Chicago-area launch of 5411 Empanadas, which will debut its food truck service next month.

Edgy about knives?...with the gift-giving season upon us, Bill Daley checks in with several culinarians to get their input on blades.

Uncorked: Think small...in this week's Uncorked, Bill St. John provides advice on how to shop for the best quality champagnes.

A trio of attributes...JeanMarie Brownson provides recipes and guidance for turning out a holiday dinner that features duck which is moist, crispy and made (mostly) ahead of time.

Good Eating food events, Good Eating drink events...Elizabeth Schiele previews some of the week's upcoming food and beverage events.
=====

Chicago bartenders make spirits bright...Seanan Forbes reports on what several area bartenders have created as Christmas gifts this year.

Low Mileage Kitchen: Locavore gifts..Judith Dunbar Hines lists suggestions in several food-related categories.

Food Detective: Marijuana on the menu...LTHer David Hammond explores the ever-evolving culinary uses for the timeless "herb."

Books for Cooks: Two sweet endings...food editor Janet Rausa Fuller recommends The Gourmet Cookie Book and Bon Appetit Desserts, which are both, comfortingly, on the shelves this holiday season.

Tastings around town...previews of some of the week's events in food and beverage.
=====

=R=

<><><><><>
<><><><><>

Lead Moderator
Posted December 15th 2010, 10:51pm
Media Digest Addenda for the week of December 15, 2010

The Best Restaurants of 2010...LTH contributor Mike Sula, LTHers David Hammond and Kristina Meyer, Martha Bayne and Anne Spiselman name their favorites of the year. Additionally, over at The Blog, Sula lists 110 Tasty Things from 2010.

Saigon Sisters...Sula checks out Saigon Sisters, where chef Matt Eversman is tearing it up and making a name for himself, in spite of the fact that he's never been to Vietnam.

Astir in Andersonville...Kate Schmidt rounds up news of industry happenings in Andersonville and beyond. Also provided is Our Guide to New Years Eve in Chicago.

Key Ingredient...in this installment of Julia Thiel's weekly feature, John Des Rosiers of Inovasi in Lake Bluff takes on geraniums. Video by LTHer Mike Gebert now appears with this piece.
=====

In this week's installment of Dish, Penny Pollack, Graham Meyer and Lena Singer report that Jam will open a second location in the spring of 2011, this one in Logan Square.
=====

Small plates...David Tamarkin posits that the most important new restaurants of 2010 were largely under the hype radar.

Food, recalled...Julia Kramer checks in with 6 local industry folks who had notable years to get their takes on the year in food.

Champagne wishes and Cava dreams...Julia Kramer asks wine store owners to recommend their favorite bottles of sparkling wine for the holidays.

Holiday how to:
Saber a Champagne bottle...Mitch Einhorn of Lush Wine & Spirits teaches Martina Sheehan how to saber a champagne bottle.

Stock the ultimate holiday bar on the cheap...David Tamarkin provides tips on how to stock a holiday bar inexpensively.

Assemble a proper cheese plate for your holiday party...Julia Kramer provides tips on how to properly assemble holiday cheese plate.
=====

Tasty holiday gifts from just around the corner...food editor Deborah Pankey provides a list of locally-made food gifts that are worthy of giving.
=====

Chicago’s souper cooks wanted for 2011 benefits...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes passes on the word that Martha Bayne is recruiting volunteer groups for her charitable Soup & Bread program.
=====

411: This Dill Pickle ages nicely...David Wicik profiles the Dill Pickle Food Cooperative in Logan Square which, in spite of many obstacles, just marked its 1-year anniversary.
=====

Washburne Culinary Institute: A Visit and Overview...LTHer Jeff Tobin visits the oldest culinary school in the U.S., which was established in 1937.
=====

=R=

Lead Moderator
Posted December 22nd 2010, 10:46am
Media Digest for the week of December 22, 2010

Sugar and spice and everything...Kevin Pang profiles enigmatic Natalie Zarzour of Pasticceria Natalina in Andersonville, which will close for good in 2011.

Bread pudding for breakfast? Strata adds sparkle to holiday brunches...Bill Daley provides tips, as well as a recipe for Wild mushroom, winter greens and Parmesan strata.

Gifts for … imbibers...Josh Noel makes some holiday gift recommendations for the drinkers in our lives.

Nepal's tasty, healthy cuisine shows influence of India, Tibet...in this special, Colleen Taylor Sen provides a brief overview of Nepali cuisine. A couple of applicable recipes are included.

Uncorked: Make a splash...Bill St. John details a few techniques for improving younger wines, including aerating them before drinking.

Nutcracker season...Leah Eskin provides a seasonal recipe for candied pecans.

Less theory, more practical advice...Monica Eng interviews noted author Harold McGee on his new book, Keys to Good Cooking: A Guide to Making the Best of Foods and Recipes, in which he aims to provide a more practical approach to kitchen work.

One last gift...the aforementioned Daley recommends the Sunbeam Cupcake Maker.

Prep school: Easy techniques to use tonight...in this installment, James P. DeWan lays out the basic techniques for making beurre blanc.

Chilies for Christmas...food editor Carol Mighton Haddix reports on the popularity of chilies in New Mexican cuisine and provides a few applicable recipes.
=====

Stocking stuffers for food lovers...in this photogallery, food editor Janet Rausa Fuller rounds up 7 distinctive gifts for culinary enthusiasts.

Food Detective: Not-so-wild venison...LTHer David Hammond checks in with Michael Kornick to get tips for preparing venison.

Director’s Christmas fete is quite a production...Thomas Connors interviews Bill Brown and Steve Hinger, whose annual involvement in the Goodman Theater's production of A Christmas Carol actually led them to cultivate a holiday feasting tradition of their own.

The Pour Man: Skunky no more...Michael Austin asserts that no beer should ever smell skunky, explains what causes it and provides tips on how to avoid it.

A snappy molasses ice cream...LTHer Mark Smrecek shares his recipe for Gingersnap-Molasses Ice Cream, which was originally posted at his blog, From Belly to Bacon.

Books for Cooks: Seven cake tips...the aforementioned Ms. Fuller shares 7 tips from How to Squeeze a Lemon - 1,023 Kitchen Tips, Food Fixes and Handy Techniques, contributed by Jennifer Armentrout and Samantha Seneviratne.

Food 411...previews of some of the week's events in food and beverage.
=====

=R=

<><><><><>
<><><><><>

Lead Moderator
Posted December 22nd 2010, 10:04pm
Media Digest Addenda for the week of December 22, 2010

Lao You Ju: The Weird World of Hu...LTH contributor Mike Sula reviews Lao You Ju, the newest restaurant from empresario Tony Hu.

Izakaya Rising...Kate Schmidt rounds up some Food & Beverage industry news, including word that a new Izakaya in Chinatown is just days away from opening.

Key Ingredient...in this week's installment, Julia Thiel chronicles what chef Phillip Foss did with the freeze-dried saffron he was assigned by John Des Rosiers. Accompanying video is provided by LTHer Mike Gebert.
=====

In this week's edition of Dish, Penny Pollack, Graham Meyer and Lena Singer report that yet another restaurateur is hopping on the oyster bandwagon, as Frontier, "a gastropub focusing on oysters and game," will open in Noble Square (no date is mentioned).
=====

No new content will be posted this week at TOC's web site, as last week's content will be current through December 29.
=====

Celebrate the holidays with classic whoopie pies...food editor Deborah Pankey shares recipes for several types of whoopie pies.

Tips for making the most of holiday fruitcake...Ms. Pankey sings the praises of the most mocked holiday confection of them all.
=====

Top 10 Chicago restaurant recipes of 2010...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes rounds up the top 10 recipes from her 2010 Eat This! columns.
=====

The Top 5 of Everything 2010: Resto...LTH contributor Mike Nagrant shares his favorites of the year in several culinary categories.
=====

=R=

The Media Digest will be on vacation next week but will return on Wednesday January 5. Happy Holidays!

Lead Moderator
Posted January 5th 2011, 10:10am
Media Digest for the week of January 5, 2011

From this week's Chicago Tribune and Food/Good Eating section:

Small gains are big news to restaurants...Emily Bryson York reports that restaurateurs and industry consultants are cautiously optimistic about 2011.

'Four Fish' captures the story of a seafood crisis...Monica Eng interviews author and journalist Paul Greenberg, whose book, Four Fish, attempts to clarify the issue of sustainable seafood.

Planting seeds...Bill Daley profiles and interviews teacher Lois Ellen Frank, whose mission is to keep Native American foods alive. In this related story -- Museum cafe offers authentic foods of the American Indian -- Mr. Daley provides glimpses of both Mitsitam, the cafe at the Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian in Washington and The Mitsitam Cafe Cookbook, a new release, which contains recipes for 90 dishes served at the cafe.

Pizza night...William Hageman chronicles the Saturday night pizza-making tradition at Aurora's 9 fire stations. A recipe for Central Station's dough is included.

Gilding the cocktail...in this special, Chris McNamara takes a skeptical look at a new line of alcohol-spiked whipped cream products.

Uncorked: Give the Quiet Americans a chance...Bill St. John recommends some less "Chris Farley" domestic white wines.

The trend watchers...Barbara Mahany checks in with a few food prognosticators to learn what's in store for food in 2011.

The veggie cook: Ways to eat better in 2011...in this special, Kay Stepkin lays out some tips and an applicable recipe.

Seeking nominations for 2011...the section announces their annual call for Good Eating award nominations.

Food calendar, Drink events...Elizabeth Schiele previews some of this week's food and beverage events.
=====

Food forecast: The next pork?...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes reports on how marketing and other factors affect food trends, chefs and the menus they create. LTHer Tom Keith is quoted in the piece. In this related piece -- The un-trends of 2011 -- several experts list foods and trends that they're sure won't become popular, even though they wish otherwise.

Food Detective: A better burger...LTHer David Hammond queries Burger Bar's John McLean on how to turn out a great burger.

Cutting back, but not on chowder...in this installment of the Low Mileage Kitchen, Judith Dunbar Hines shares her recipe for Mushroom Chowder.

Bread to Bottega: 10 notable cookbooks...Tom Witom identfies 10 notable releases from 2010.

Eater’s Digest: January happenings...a day-by-day listing of some area food events taking place in January.
=====

=R=

<><><><><>
<><><><><>

Lead Moderator
Posted January 5th 2011, 8:11pm
Media Digest Addenda for the week of January 5, 2011

The Sodfather Abides...LTH contributor Mike Sula profiles soppressata maven Frank "The Sodfather" Balestri, who's taken the dedication to his "old-world" craft to obsessive levels.

What's New: The Florentine...the aforementioned Sula scouts chef Todd Stein's (Cibo Matto, mk) new spot in the Loop, where the expertly-rendered pastas trump all.

On the Rocks: Le Passage...Kate Schmidt rounds up some F&B industry news, including the closings of Le Passage (Gold Coast) and Patty's Diner (Skokie).

Key Ingredient: Spirulina...in this week's installment, Julia Thiel chronicles what chef Paul Virant of Vie Restaurant in Western Springs -- clad in his bad-ass Led Zeppelin t-shirt -- did with this offbeat ingredient, which he was assigned by chef David Posey of Blackbird. Video is provided by Mike Gebert.
=====

In this week's installment of Dish, Penny Pollack, Graham Meyer and Lena Singer report that Evan Percoco -- who is interviewed briefly -- has been hired as the new chef at Cibo Matto.
=====

Dinner on demand...Julia Kramer profiles 3 local entrepreneurs who founded CookItFor.Us, a web site that will attempt to match “Cravers” (people who want a recipe made) with “Makers” (people who want to cook), via a system that will tap into already-existing on-line social media dynamics.

The 21-month sandwich...David Tamarkin previews the long-awaited and delayed opening of Graham Elliot's sandwich outlet.
=====

Eco-friendly fare tops dining trends...food editor Deborah Pankey reports the results of a National Restaurant Association survey, which queried more 1,500 professional chefs on food trends for 2011.

Meatless Monday aims to curb instake just for a day...the aforementioned Ms. Pankey explains this "movement" and provides a couple of applicable recipes, as well.

Simple strategies for weight-loss success...Don Mauer shares some of his.
=====

Eat this! Short ribs, beefy bones for braising...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes gets the recipe for Jerry’s Asian Short Ribs, from chef Bridget Burns.
=====

Season’s Dumplings: Triple Crown brightens up the dim sum...LTH contributor Mike Nagrant likes Triple Crown on Wentworth in Chinatown.
=====

=R=

Lead Moderator
Posted January 12th 2011, 12:09pm
Media Digest for the week of January 12, 2011

Tribune Dining Awards...in this photogallery, Phil Vettel, Kevin Pang, Christopher Borrelli and Lauren Viera name their favorites in Food & Beverage for 2010.

Italian craftiness...Josh Noel reports that an "Italian craft beer revolution is underway" and lists 3 Italian brews that are worth trying.

Tips for cooking with meat from pastured animals...Monica Eng provides a glimpse of the new book Good Meat, by Deborah Krasner and also excerpts a couple recipes from the book. Ms. Eng sheds a little more light on the book and lists some places where "good" meat can be found in The new meat: Meat with panache, Protein with panache, Meat goes natural.

Without rival...Bill St. John sings the praises of Italy's nebbiolo grape and contends it's best showcased in Barolos and Barbarescos. Tasting notes are included.

Citrus appeal...in this special, Susan Taylor reports on several less-conventional varieties of citrus fruit, which are in the spotlight this season. A brief guide is included.

Food calendar, Drink events...Elizabeth Schiele previews some of this week's food and beverage events.
=====

Soup’s on: How to make the perfect pot...with the season upon us, Amelia Levin checks in with some local chefs to get tips and recipes.

Chef’s Table: Tale of a taco...Patricio Sandoval of Mercadito shares his recipe for tacos de camaron, a dish he ate growing up at his father's restaurant.

Do you know yuzu?...in this week's installment of the Food Detective, LTHer David Hammond checks in with Carol Wallack of Sola to learn about this somewhat uncommon citrus fruit.

Pour Man: Glass choices are crystal-clear...Michael Austin provides some tips on buying, using and caring for stemware.

Food 411...listings of some upcoming, food-related events around town. Previews for more events can be found in Tastings around town.
=====

=R=

<><><><><>
Updates from some Chicago media outlets, which do not 'go to press' before Wednesday mornings, will be added to this thread as they become available.
<><><><><>

Lead Moderator
Posted January 13th 2011, 11:19am
Media Digest Addenda for the week of January 12, 2011

What's New: Gyu-Kaku...LTH contributor Mike Sula sheds some light on Gyu-Kaku on East Ohio Street, the newest outpost of the Japanese-owned, Korean-esque mega-chain.

All for Love...Sula profiles Ezat Nada and his 3-week-old Prince Creperie Cafe in Albany Park. Brief reviews of several other Chicago Crepes and Cafes are also provided. Submissions here are from the aforementioned Sula, along with Laura Levy Shatkin, Izidora Angel, Kate Schmidt, Rob Christopher, Julia Thiel, Anne Ford, Martha Bayne, Susannah J. Felts and Kathie Bergquist.

Beer Money...Ms. Schmidt rounds up some F&B industry news, including the Kickstarter campaign of LTHer Eric May, who's trying to launch his E-Dogz project.

Key Ingredient...in this installment, Julia Thiel chronicles what chef Andrew Zimmerman of Sepia did with the lamb fat he was assigned by chef Paul Virant of Vie Restaurant. Video is provided by Mike Gebert.
=====

In this week's installment of Dish, Penny Pollack (along with Graham Meyer and Lena Singer) checks out Bistro One West in St. Charles.
=====

Comparing Chicago restaurants...it's the Love/Hate Chicago issue and Martina Sheehan compares some Chicago restaurants similar ones in New York and Los Angeles.

Beyond cutting edge...Heather Shouse and David Tamarkin take a look at 4 old-school butchers who, in some respects, paved the way for the new wave of butchery currently blossoming in Chicago.

Three-way...David Tamarkin checks out what the chefs are doing with chestnuts at Due Lire, Grahamwich and Sprout.
=====

Bombay Chopsticks fuses Indian, Chinese cuisines...Izidora Angel checks out this new eatery in Hoffman Estates.
=====

Chicago chefs’ best recipes of the year...LTH contributor Leah A. Zeldes rounds up her top 10 from 2010.
=====

No new content has been posted at New City's web site this week.
=====

Even more from LTH contributors

Posted recently at Culinary School Adviser:

Chefs Talk About What Culinary Schools SHOULD Be Teaching Students...LTHer Jeff Tobin interviews a few local chefs, among others, who weigh in with strong opinions on the matter.
=====

=R=

Lead Moderator
Posted January 19th 2011, 11:20am
Media Digest for the week of January 19, 2011

Rooting for celeriac...Wendy Donahue provides background and a couple of recipes for this under-used root vegetable.

Bakery's cheesecake stars in 'The Dilemma'...in this special, Judith Marcus reports on how a local bakery earned a credit in this film, which was shot in Chicago.

Roll the diced: Which brand of tomatoes wins?...Heidi Stevens (and her 5-member panel) compares several retail brands and reports the findings.

Wedding cake 2.0...Judy Hevrdejs reports that cupcakes are the latest incarnation of wedding cake. An applicable recipe is included.

One flavorful cut: Multiple dishes...food editor Carol Mighton Haddix recommends pork shoulder, which can be used in a variety of flavorful dishes.

Steeped in myth...in this special, Zak Stambor sheds some light on Vizcaya VXOP Cask 21 rum.

Meet-greet-and-eat for food lovers...Dawn Rhodes reports on her experience with Flight Chicago, a company that offers culinary-focused walking tours through some Chicago neighborhoods.

Sorting port from port...Bill St. John provides some background on the origins of Port and makes some recommendations, as well.

Calendar, Drink events...Elizabeth Schiele previews some of this week's food and beverage events.
=====

Rooting for winter veg...Jennifer Olvera checks in with several local foodfolk to get tips and recipes for preparing root vegetables. Also provided is a brief informational chart.

Pasta for a cold spell...in this installment of the Low Mileage Kitchen, Judith Dunbar Hines shares her recipe for Butternut Squash Ravioli in Sage Butter Sauce.

The showgirl diet...the Food Detective, LTHer David Hammond, investigates an uncommon and yet entirely logical eating regimen.

Food 411...listings of some upcoming, food-related events around town. Previews for more events can be found in Tastings around town.

Chicago leads in AAA five-diamond restaurants...food editor Janet Rausa Fuller reports the details of Chicago's dining dominance over every other North American city.
=====

=R=

<><><><><>
Updates from some Chicago media outlets, which do not 'go to press' before Wednesday mornings, will be added to this thread as they become available.
<><><><><>

Get a Taste of Burma

Online Information