LTH Home

Laptops--IBook vs. Dell

Laptops--IBook vs. Dell
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
  • Laptops--IBook vs. Dell

Post #1 - August 25th, 2004, 2:25 pm
    Post #1 - August 25th, 2004, 2:25 pm Post #1 - August 25th, 2004, 2:25 pm
    Now, I'm looking to get a new laptop. I know that Macs cost more money, but I'm sort of sick of the Windows interface and all the crashing of programs and all.
    It is also true that I'm in no way going to use my computer for visual stuff, at which Macs excel, but I will rather be using my computer for general stuff--using the word processor and internet.
    Is compatibility still a major issue with Macs, and, further, does anyone have a good idea as to whether buying an IBook is a good idea or not, rather than a Dell?

(I mean, if i need a printer cable for my printer and an IBook, do i need to order that sort of menial thing from Apple directly, or can I use any cable?)
  • Post #2 - August 25th, 2004, 4:07 pm
    Post #2 - August 25th, 2004, 4:07 pm Post #2 - August 25th, 2004, 4:07 pm
    ParkerS wrote:Now, I'm looking to get a new laptop.

Parker,

Please allow me to refer you to Mike G's Site Chat post Why Non-Food Chat is not quite that.

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

Enjoy,
    Gary
  • Post #3 - August 25th, 2004, 4:41 pm
    Post #3 - August 25th, 2004, 4:41 pm Post #3 - August 25th, 2004, 4:41 pm
    Keep in mind that Apple's laptops are famous for their warmth, which may be a benefit if you go out for lunch on a cold winter day. Could keep both you and the lunch warm!

(There was one PowerBook, a few years back, that was rumored to burst into flames; that's appropriate only for char-grilling.)
  • Post #4 - August 25th, 2004, 4:55 pm
    Post #4 - August 25th, 2004, 4:55 pm Post #4 - August 25th, 2004, 4:55 pm
    Beside the two you mention I would suggest you give IBM a serious consideration, as well as Sony.

Sony and IBM both make laptops significently superior in overall quality, I have found, to Dell (which I have had a lot of problems with in the past, while having significently fewer with my Sony laptop and no problems at all with my IBM laptop.

Further, IBM and Sony both make laptops offering a very high power/price combination - Sony's Z1 is very well designed (and very functional) IBM's T41 and X31 series are less stylish, but offer probably the best laptop keyboard available, very good screens, and lots of performance power.

Apple also make a very good laptop, however I find the trackpad and single button a bit annoying and the keyboard less than ideal for me (a touch typist) but I did very seriously consider the smaller powerbooks.

Shannon

(apologies for the non-food nature of this non-food reply)
  • Post #5 - August 25th, 2004, 5:27 pm
    Post #5 - August 25th, 2004, 5:27 pm Post #5 - August 25th, 2004, 5:27 pm
    Shannon Clark wrote:Apple also make a very good laptop, however I find the trackpad and single button a bit annoying and the keyboard less than ideal for me (a touch typist) but I did very seriously consider the smaller powerbooks.

Shannon

(apologies for the non-food nature of this non-food reply)

I love my 15" aluminum powerbook, and work is about to give me a 12" powerbook to use.

I get about 105wpm with 98% accuracy on my powerbook keyboard, about 110 on a microsoft natural keyboard (my personal choice). So I don't have that problem.

The single mouse button is problematic in windows, but in OSX it's not as much of a problem, since the right mouse button is rarely used. I will say that I prefer the eraser-head style of pointer.

Some powerbook batteries were recently recalled for the overheating issue. My powerbook can get mighty hot, but I don't wear shorts much, so it's not a problem generally.

-ed
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #6 - August 25th, 2004, 8:46 pm
    Post #6 - August 25th, 2004, 8:46 pm Post #6 - August 25th, 2004, 8:46 pm
    I like my IBM Thinkpad T41. Maybe it's a left-brain/right-brain thing for me but I'm like the baby in the AOL commercial when it comes to figuring out the Apple one-button mouse system - just keep banging on it and hope that something good happens. :lol:
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #7 - August 25th, 2004, 9:01 pm
    Post #7 - August 25th, 2004, 9:01 pm Post #7 - August 25th, 2004, 9:01 pm
    Kman wrote:I like my IBM Thinkpad T41. Maybe it's a left-brain/right-brain thing for me but I'm like the baby in the AOL commercial when it comes to figuring out the Apple one-button mouse system - just keep banging on it and hope that something good happens. :lol:

thinkpad laptops are my personal favorite PC laptops.. followed by dell, i'd say.

with apple one-button laptops you control-click to right click. given how rarely i right click, it's not a big deal.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #8 - August 26th, 2004, 7:41 am
    Post #8 - August 26th, 2004, 7:41 am Post #8 - August 26th, 2004, 7:41 am
    I'm mostly a Mac user, sometimes a Windows user, and for most of the stuff that people use regularly compatibility is not a problem. I burn CDs on my Mac that Windows people use, and vice versa.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #9 - August 26th, 2004, 1:08 pm
    Post #9 - August 26th, 2004, 1:08 pm Post #9 - August 26th, 2004, 1:08 pm
    I use a PC at work and a Mac at home...

IBM T41 is my laptop at work and I have to say that it's pretty nice. I've used Compaqs, Dells and IBMs and have to say that the IBMs win hands-down (I've had a couple)...

As for Macs, I have a 2 year old iBook which is now my wifes and i have a brand new 15" Powerbook. Love them both. One mouse button is no problem (CTRL + Click is the equivalent of right clicking or if you use an external two button mouse you can right click til your heart's content)... the built in software that comes with the Macs is great (safari, itunes, iphoto, imovie, iEtc). Everything you need is there (other than your word processing app which you would have to buy).

Compatibility is not really an issue anymore. Macs and PCs use the same cables/adapters for things such as printers, mice, etc. (Specifically USB and Firewire) Both have standard network/modem jacks and both use standard wireless protocols (802.11b/802.11g) so you can use your Mac or PC at your favorite coffee shop, friends house, etc and surf away. The only thing that is different is that you use different software. You would get MS Word for the pc or the mac depending on which way you go. Either way, if you write a document in Word, the other computer will have no problem viewing it.
  • Post #10 - August 26th, 2004, 2:11 pm
    Post #10 - August 26th, 2004, 2:11 pm Post #10 - August 26th, 2004, 2:11 pm
    Firstly, thanks for the replies.
    Secondly, I didn't mean to clutter the board, and I would delete this post if I could figure how to do it.
    Please delete this thread. Return to food!
  • Post #11 - August 26th, 2004, 2:32 pm
    Post #11 - August 26th, 2004, 2:32 pm Post #11 - August 26th, 2004, 2:32 pm
    ParkerS wrote:Firstly, thanks for the replies.
    Secondly, I didn't mean to clutter the board, and I would delete this post if I could figure how to do it.
    Please delete this thread. Return to food!

I will lock this thread so there will be no more posts to it..
    Bruce
    Plenipotentiary
    bruce@bdbbq.com

Raw meat should NOT have an ingredients list!!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more