LTH Home

Vintage Pyrex, Fire King, Texas Ware

Vintage Pyrex, Fire King, Texas Ware
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Vintage Pyrex, Fire King, Texas Ware

Post #1 - April 27th, 2011, 2:05 pm
    Post #1 - April 27th, 2011, 2:05 pm Post #1 - April 27th, 2011, 2:05 pm
    I told my brother that I would do a quick plug for him on LTH about his new online vintage "store." Over the past few months, he's been sourcing vintage, American made products and selling them on his Etsy store.

Many of his products are household kitchen products that were found in America's kitchens from the 50's, 60's and 70's. Vintage serving bowls, mixing bowls, plates, etc made by Pyrex, Fire King, Texas Ware and so on. Occasionally, he'll have a large collection of plates or bowls (again, vintage) that may be of interest to a small coffee shop or restaurant.

He's in Chicago so if you see something on his site, you may be able to pick it up and save the shipping fee. Here are the links to his blog (with some back story of some products): http://junkandhowe.blogspot.com/ and his store on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/JunkandHowe

Mods - if this is inappropriate, feel free to pull it down. Thanks.

-Russ
  • Post #2 - April 28th, 2011, 8:07 am
    Post #2 - April 28th, 2011, 8:07 am Post #2 - April 28th, 2011, 8:07 am
    Oh man, I am so going to this store, and I know which fambly members are going to want to go with me. Thanks for the links!
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #3 - June 24th, 2015, 1:40 pm
    Post #3 - June 24th, 2015, 1:40 pm Post #3 - June 24th, 2015, 1:40 pm
    Why America Fell in Love With Pyrex

Corning Glass Works launched its consumer-facing Pyrex brand in 1915, but it didn’t catch on at first. “It was a hard sell to convince people they could put glass in the oven without it shattering or melting,” Brumagen said. So Pyrex turned to marketing, and relied on “domestic professionals.” Sarah Tyson Rorer, an editor at Ladies’ Home Journal, and Mildred Maddocks of the Good Housekeeping Institute, gave demonstrations at department stores nationwide and were largely responsible for boosting the profile of the new cookware. Their efforts paid off; “by 1919, Corning Glass Works had sold over 4 million pieces of Pyrex to consumers.” But it wasn’t until 1936, with the introduction of Pyrex’s Flameware line, that “consumers could use glass on their stove burners for the first time,” Brumagen explained. And, because the Pyrex manufacturing process had been automated in 1929 (rather than blowing Pyrex glass by hand), it was affordable to stock Pyrex in the kitchen for the first time.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more