LTH Home

Hatch chiles (and other New Mexico chiles)

Hatch chiles (and other New Mexico chiles)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 6 of 8
  • Post #151 - August 31st, 2015, 7:34 am
    Post #151 - August 31st, 2015, 7:34 am Post #151 - August 31st, 2015, 7:34 am
    Lucked upon some hatch peppers on my way back home from a ride around Bloomington,Il and Peoria yesterday. - HyVee Peru, il. $.99/ lb. I'll be roasting them tonight after work.

Got some cheeseburgers in my future.
  • Post #152 - September 1st, 2015, 2:18 pm
    Post #152 - September 1st, 2015, 2:18 pm Post #152 - September 1st, 2015, 2:18 pm
    found some free time to toss up a post -

:twisted:

knocked out those chiles last night -

3#

wanted some red and green - different heat levels and flavor based on how ripe - reds are supposed to have some back end heat vs the front end greens - Pretty sure these were milds

weber kettle - charred em up. -

tossed em' in a bowl and covered with plastic wrap to steam for about 20. easy peel and seeded -

chopped up some for a burger - left a few whole(seeded) for future use.

couldnt resist a hatch double decker cheeseburger - fresh ground chuck, english muffin(3 pieces), american cheese, fried, egg, minced onion, pickle, "Chief" sauce. hatch chiles -

damn - burger hit the spot - thinking I need another tonight -
  • Post #153 - September 1st, 2015, 2:25 pm
    Post #153 - September 1st, 2015, 2:25 pm Post #153 - September 1st, 2015, 2:25 pm
    Saw this last night when you posted it on SM and was absolutely GREEN (chili) with envy--well done man, well done!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #154 - September 1st, 2015, 2:27 pm
    Post #154 - September 1st, 2015, 2:27 pm Post #154 - September 1st, 2015, 2:27 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:Saw this last night when you posted it on SM and was absolutely GREEN (chili) with envy--well done man, well done!

thanks jen - almost let the opportunity for hatch peppers slip by this year - never again - Im hooked.
  • Post #155 - September 1st, 2015, 6:39 pm
    Post #155 - September 1st, 2015, 6:39 pm Post #155 - September 1st, 2015, 6:39 pm
    jimswside wrote:
    ...almost let the opportunity for hatch peppers slip by this year - never again - Im hooked.

I lived in Abq for a few years. There was a saying thrown around all the time. Not sure of the origins, but:

"A day without chile is like a day without sun."

Usually uttered as part of a conversation that started with some person saying they had a headache. Anytime someone said they had a headache, the VERY first response was, without fail, "Well, have you had any chile (green or red) today?"

And, oh yeah, jimswside - that gc cheeseburger is fkn CRAZY! Nice work!
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #156 - September 1st, 2015, 6:58 pm
    Post #156 - September 1st, 2015, 6:58 pm Post #156 - September 1st, 2015, 6:58 pm
    Hatch Chiles are now done for the year at Heinen's in Glenview.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #157 - September 2nd, 2015, 7:59 am
    Post #157 - September 2nd, 2015, 7:59 am Post #157 - September 2nd, 2015, 7:59 am
    seebee wrote:Usually uttered as part of a conversation that started with some person saying they had a headache. Anytime someone said they had a headache, the VERY first response was, without fail, "Well, have you had any chile (green or red) today?"

Dang! I just (mostly) got over a two-day-long headache that hurt so much my eye sockets ached whenever I turned my head. I wish in my altered state I'd been able to think clearly enough to eat some spicy chiles. Nothing else worked.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #158 - August 18th, 2016, 10:49 am
    Post #158 - August 18th, 2016, 10:49 am Post #158 - August 18th, 2016, 10:49 am
    Hatch chili fest at Heinens Bannockburn this weekend, 11-5 Sat and Sun. Sunset is jumping on the bandwagon with their version at the Lake Forest store on Saturday. High School poms have their corn roast there at the same time so you can make it a meal.

-Will
  • Post #159 - August 18th, 2016, 11:53 am
    Post #159 - August 18th, 2016, 11:53 am Post #159 - August 18th, 2016, 11:53 am
    WillG wrote:Hatch chili fest at Heinens Bannockburn this weekend, 11-5 Sat and Sun. Sunset is jumping on the bandwagon with their version at the Lake Forest store on Saturday.

All of Sunset's stores are selling hatch chiles this weekend: Northbrook on Friday, Lake Forest and Libertyville on Saturday, Highland Park and Long Grove on Sunday. The Hatch chile roasting hours are, alas, only 11 am - 2 pm. In addition to roasting Hatch chiles ($2.99/lb), they're selling some prepared Hatch chile dishes (quesadillas, chiles rellenos, etc.).
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #160 - August 18th, 2016, 1:15 pm
    Post #160 - August 18th, 2016, 1:15 pm Post #160 - August 18th, 2016, 1:15 pm
    Heinen's Chile Fest
    http://www.heinens.com/hatch/
    Heading to a Hatch Roast? Be sure to reserve your Hatch Haul early by dropping by or calling the customer service booth and pre-ordering your case or two of chiles before the roast. Buy a case of Hatch Chiles and we'll roast them for free.

BANNOCKBURN
    Saturday - Sunday Aug. 20 & 21 11 A.M. - 5 P.M.

BARRINGTON
    Saturday - Sunday Aug. 27 & 28 11 A.M. - 5 P.M.

GLENVIEW
    Friday Sept. 9 2 P.M. - 6 P.M.
    Saturday Sept. 10 11 A.M. - 5 P.M.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #161 - August 19th, 2016, 1:33 am
    Post #161 - August 19th, 2016, 1:33 am Post #161 - August 19th, 2016, 1:33 am
    $2.99/# for roasted peppers.

I am currently buying the Hatch for 3# for $1 and roasting my own.

I will be picking up a case in either Hatch or Albuquerque depending on my route back from the Midwest.
  • Post #162 - August 20th, 2016, 12:48 pm
    Post #162 - August 20th, 2016, 12:48 pm Post #162 - August 20th, 2016, 12:48 pm
    Just returned from the heinens hatch chili fest in Bannockburn and it is a regular party over there. Lots of samples and 4 beers on tap (at $3 a cup) including some limited release lagunitas stout that some beer nerd was amazed that they had (and for that price). The 12% alcohol stopped me from having more than a taste at this hour, but it was delicious. The time didnt slow down the beer guy though who was on his second when I left. New this year are the hatch chili chocolate chip cookies. Definitely worth stopping by and it is fun to watch the roaster in action. Going to head over again tomorrow.

-Will
  • Post #163 - August 21st, 2016, 10:44 am
    Post #163 - August 21st, 2016, 10:44 am Post #163 - August 21st, 2016, 10:44 am
    Found Hatch chiles at Whole Foods in Scherereville,In. this morning. Small selection of mild & Extra hot. I didn't ask if they had more. Rang up @ $1.49lb
  • Post #164 - August 30th, 2016, 1:47 pm
    Post #164 - August 30th, 2016, 1:47 pm Post #164 - August 30th, 2016, 1:47 pm
    As of this past Sunday, the Heinen's in Bannockburn still had quite a few of both mild and hot chiles, $1.29/lb. They also had plenty pre-roasted, if that's the way you roll.

I think next year we'll just get a full case right from the start.
  • Post #165 - August 30th, 2016, 3:11 pm
    Post #165 - August 30th, 2016, 3:11 pm Post #165 - August 30th, 2016, 3:11 pm
    What is ironic is that down here in the Southwest, when you ask the produce managers if they they have Hatch chiles, they are likely to respond, "Hatch is a town in New Mexico. We have chilis from Hatch, NM."

When I am in New Mexico in a couple of weeks, I am going to try to meet up with the extension agents at the New Mexico State Fair in Albuquerque to determine what the actual varieties that are sold - Big Jim's, NuMex, and the like.
  • Post #166 - August 31st, 2016, 11:21 am
    Post #166 - August 31st, 2016, 11:21 am Post #166 - August 31st, 2016, 11:21 am
    Yes - it's all lost in translation. I'm guessing at some point in the supply chain, they go from actual variety name to just "hot or mild." Have the reds even made it up here yet? I'm guessing that at some point, the green or red "sauce"will start showing up around these parts as well.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #167 - August 31st, 2016, 11:25 am
    Post #167 - August 31st, 2016, 11:25 am Post #167 - August 31st, 2016, 11:25 am
    This:

"Hatch is a town in New Mexico. We have chilis from Hatch, NM."

Is such fussy little bitch response, it boggles the mind. This level pedantry is almost too much to bear.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #168 - August 31st, 2016, 1:45 pm
    Post #168 - August 31st, 2016, 1:45 pm Post #168 - August 31st, 2016, 1:45 pm
    Maybe I'm just not reading that much into it, OR, I'm just used to the meaning they are trying to convey. So, when stores are selling "Hatch Chile" around here (midwest,) I'm assuming they are just selling random varieties (they they don't even really care about) that may or may not come from the Hatch Valley. So, when someone says "Hatch" here, it almost seems like it has a meaning of the variety of chile, not the region. When you say "Hatch" in VERY certain parts of the SW, it almost means nothing, since the chiles SHOULD be from Hatch, what you really need to know is what variety the chile is. It's the sub-categories that matter, not the region. So:
    Seller: What kind of Chiles would you like?
    Buyer: Hatch
    Seller: These are ALL from Hatch. What kind would you like?
    Buyer: Hot
    Seller: All of these varieties are extra hot, the varieties over there are medium hot, and those over there are mild. What kind would you like?
    Buyer: Extra hot.
    Seller: Ok, so you have your choice of those 10 varieties of extra hot chiles.

By the time those chiles make their way here, they are, "Hatch Chiles." Not so big of a deal here, but down in specific areas of the SW, they are very proud of their chiles, Hatch being perceived as a great region for them. Iirc, there was another smaller region or two that had a loyal "following." As in - some ppl would say, "I like region X's chiles better than Hatch." "Chimayo" comes to mind, but I'm forgetting a bigger one.

So, yes, there may be snark involved, but some Hatch Chiles being sold may not be from Hatch, they are just some strain of Anaheim from who knows where. Might not matter to most, but to a person with some ties to a chile seller in the very specific region of the SW that takes this stuff very seriously, it matters. I used to be one of the "You know Hatch is not a variety of chile, it's a valley, right?" people - when I moved here from there, but I usually just bite my tongue now. I've seen too many eyes roll. It just doesn't really matter up here. Regional thing. Chile is big business in those regions. Not so much here.
  • Post #169 - August 31st, 2016, 2:15 pm
    Post #169 - August 31st, 2016, 2:15 pm Post #169 - August 31st, 2016, 2:15 pm
    seebee wrote:Maybe I'm just not reading that much into it, OR, I'm just used to the meaning they are trying to convey. So, when stores are selling "Hatch Chile" around here (midwest,) I'm assuming they are just selling random varieties (they they don't even really care about) that may or may not come from the Hatch Valley. So, when someone says "Hatch" here, it almost seems like it has a meaning of the variety of chile, not the region. When you say "Hatch" in VERY certain parts of the SW, it almost means nothing, since the chiles SHOULD be from Hatch, what you really need to know is what variety the chile is. It's the sub-categories that matter, not the region. So:
    Seller: What kind of Chiles would you like?
    Buyer: Hatch
    Seller: These are ALL from Hatch. What kind would you like?
    Buyer: Hot
    Seller: All of these varieties are extra hot, the varieties over there are medium hot, and those over there are mild. What kind would you like?
    Buyer: Extra hot.
    Seller: Ok, so you have your choice of those 10 varieties of extra hot chiles.

By the time those chiles make their way here, they are, "Hatch Chiles." Not so big of a deal here, but down in specific areas of the SW, they are very proud of their chiles, Hatch being perceived as a great region for them. Iirc, there was another smaller region or two that had a loyal "following." As in - some ppl would say, "I like region X's chiles better than Hatch." "Chimayo" comes to mind, but I'm forgetting a bigger one.

So, yes, there may be snark involved, but some Hatch Chiles being sold may not be from Hatch, they are just some strain of Anaheim from who knows where. Might not matter to most, but to a person with some ties to a chile seller in the very specific region of the SW that takes this stuff very seriously, it matters. I used to be one of the "You know Hatch is not a variety of chile, it's a valley, right?" people - when I moved here from there, but I usually just bite my tongue now. I've seen too many eyes roll. It just doesn't really matter up here. Regional thing. Chile is big business in those regions. Not so much here.

I believe this is accurate, and important. Year to year I purchase, or take up someone on an offer to grab me a big box of Hatch Chilies. I ask for hot or the hottest variety they have. Every year it's almost as if I have gotten a completely different Chile ranging from XXX-hot and super flavorful to bland and almost mild, and everything in between. I do believe the loss in translation is to blame, unless people are hawking counterfeit product.
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #170 - August 31st, 2016, 8:40 pm
    Post #170 - August 31st, 2016, 8:40 pm Post #170 - August 31st, 2016, 8:40 pm
    Snarky comment are not necessary, Ron. You know better. Sure, there's room for a beef, but...

Best wishes
    There are some secrets which do not permit themselves to be told. (Poe)
  • Post #171 - August 31st, 2016, 8:43 pm
    Post #171 - August 31st, 2016, 8:43 pm Post #171 - August 31st, 2016, 8:43 pm
    If anyone wants to bring a half or 1/4 cst to the picnic, I'll be happy to come up with cash and try and get them roasted. Just let me know of the price and availability in advance. I'll stay in touch.

Thamks
  • Post #172 - August 31st, 2016, 9:42 pm
    Post #172 - August 31st, 2016, 9:42 pm Post #172 - August 31st, 2016, 9:42 pm
    bean wrote:Snarky comment are not necessary, Ron. You know better. Sure, there's room for a beef, but...

Best wishes

It's entirely necessary unless my head is going to explode. I have to vent it and I assure you I'm not shooting the messenger.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #173 - August 31st, 2016, 10:39 pm
    Post #173 - August 31st, 2016, 10:39 pm Post #173 - August 31st, 2016, 10:39 pm
    bean wrote:If anyone wants to bring a half or 1/4 cst to the picnic, I'll be happy to come up with cash and try and get them roasted. Just let me know of the price and availability in advance. I'll stay in touch.

Thamks

Since I brought Hatch chiles from KC a few years ago, their availability in Chicago has greatly expanded. Last year Heinen's had a chile roaster in the parking lot. This year Sunset foods will roast them, too.

I will be in KC next week, if you want them. I believe they are pretty much available here. If you want an import, just let me know after checking what is available locally.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #174 - August 31st, 2016, 11:31 pm
    Post #174 - August 31st, 2016, 11:31 pm Post #174 - August 31st, 2016, 11:31 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    bean wrote:If anyone wants to bring a half or 1/4 cst to the picnic, I'll be happy to come up with cash and try and get them roasted. Just let me know of the price and availability in advance. I'll stay in touch.

Thamks

Since I brought Hatch chiles from KC a few years ago, their availability in Chicago has greatly expanded. Last year Heinen's had a chile roaster in the parking lot. This year Sunset foods will roast them, too.

I will be in KC next week, if you want them. I believe they are pretty much available here. If you want an import, just let me know after checking what is available locally.

Regards,
    CAthy2

Yes, Cathy2:

I've been trying to find them in Chicago proper (whatever that is) for several weeks now. nobody's able to help. I've got limited maneuverability. If you could bring some to the picnic, just give me a heads up as to how much dinero you require. I certainly appreciate your time and efforts. Maybe I can get the tt folks to roast a bunch of them to distribute among the ragged horde.

I can probably bring a bunch of food related publications to the gathering. I'm getting excited about this again, Ive still got to get my sushi rice chops up to par. I'll probably be sick of it, thru tastings, by the time I get to the grove.
  • Post #175 - September 1st, 2016, 8:57 am
    Post #175 - September 1st, 2016, 8:57 am Post #175 - September 1st, 2016, 8:57 am
    Bean,

Is ok if I drop them off at your place when I get back around 12th or 13th? If you have a gas burner at home, I have roasted peppers over it. I'm not sure how well they will hold until the 25th.

If anyone else wishes for peppers via KC, let me know.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #176 - September 1st, 2016, 9:42 am
    Post #176 - September 1st, 2016, 9:42 am Post #176 - September 1st, 2016, 9:42 am
    Bean--I saw them last week --a bin each of hot and mild--at the Whole Foods on Ashland--pretty sure that's close to you. A quick call to the store should determine if they're still there.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #177 - September 1st, 2016, 2:07 pm
    Post #177 - September 1st, 2016, 2:07 pm Post #177 - September 1st, 2016, 2:07 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Bean,

Is ok if I drop them off at your place when I get back around 12th or 13th? If you have a gas burner at home, I have roasted peppers over it. I'm not sure how well they will hold until the 25th.

If anyone else wishes for peppers via KC, let me know.

Regards,
    Cathy2

C2:
    That would be very kind of you, so, YES! I can meet you or you can do a porch drop off. Let me know what you need for your time, energy and expenses.

Thanks!
  • Post #178 - September 1st, 2016, 2:09 pm
    Post #178 - September 1st, 2016, 2:09 pm Post #178 - September 1st, 2016, 2:09 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:Bean--I saw them last week --a bin each of hot and mild--at the Whole Foods on Ashland--pretty sure that's close to you. A quick call to the store should determine if they're still there.

I'm going to be near there on Friday so I'll check them out.
    Thanks!
  • Post #179 - September 1st, 2016, 2:30 pm
    Post #179 - September 1st, 2016, 2:30 pm Post #179 - September 1st, 2016, 2:30 pm
    bean wrote:
    boudreaulicious wrote:Bean--I saw them last week --a bin each of hot and mild--at the Whole Foods on Ashland--pretty sure that's close to you. A quick call to the store should determine if they're still there.

I'm going to be near there on Friday so I'll check them out.
    Thanks!

Just back from there and they still have the 2 bins--the "hot" looked a bit more depleted than the mild but they're definitely still in stock.
  • Post #180 - September 2nd, 2016, 1:22 pm
    Post #180 - September 2nd, 2016, 1:22 pm Post #180 - September 2nd, 2016, 1:22 pm
    laikom wrote:Year to year I purchase, or take up someone on an offer to grab me a big box of Hatch Chilies. I ask for hot or the hottest variety they have. Every year it's almost as if I have gotten a completely different Chile ranging from XXX-hot and super flavorful to bland and almost mild, and everything in between. I do believe the loss in translation is to blame, unless people are hawking counterfeit product.

I hope that what we get labelled as Hatch chiles are from Hatch, but I'm pretty sure the boxes I've gotten have not had the variety labelled. When I went to Heinen's last year I was able to choose Hot or Mild (I don't recall them having X Hot). But knowing the variety would probably help, if there is a difference in heat level from one to another.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more