LTH Home

Hatch chiles (and other New Mexico chiles)

Hatch chiles (and other New Mexico chiles)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 8
  • Post #61 - September 7th, 2013, 11:41 am
    Post #61 - September 7th, 2013, 11:41 am Post #61 - September 7th, 2013, 11:41 am
    laikom wrote:I just called the lincoln park and lakeview locations. Both locations reported they were in stock, both also reported that they were $3.99/lb.

Looks like perhaps they gave you bad info (at least for LP) -- this is the display today:

image.jpg
  • Post #62 - September 7th, 2013, 12:55 pm
    Post #62 - September 7th, 2013, 12:55 pm Post #62 - September 7th, 2013, 12:55 pm
    Matt wrote:
    laikom wrote:I just called the lincoln park and lakeview locations. Both locations reported they were in stock, both also reported that they were $3.99/lb.

Looks like perhaps they gave you bad info (at least for LP) -- this is the display today:

image.jpg

Ha! Maybe they over-ordered or over-estimated demand. :lol:

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #63 - September 9th, 2013, 8:28 am
    Post #63 - September 9th, 2013, 8:28 am Post #63 - September 9th, 2013, 8:28 am
    In addition to some green chile cheeseburgers, I plan on giving this Crispy Braised Chicken With White Beans and Chile Verde recipe from Serious Eats a try.
  • Post #64 - September 10th, 2013, 6:54 pm
    Post #64 - September 10th, 2013, 6:54 pm Post #64 - September 10th, 2013, 6:54 pm
    THANK YOU Cathy2!!!

I have my smoker going, roasting these now (it's probably less efficient than other methods, but it smells good :) And I needed a good sweat tonight ;)

A very tired/wired Cathy showed up at my house last night after an 8(!!) hour drive, with 2 cases of chiles. The house smells good, the entire neighborhood will smell good by the time I'm done.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #65 - September 11th, 2013, 5:37 am
    Post #65 - September 11th, 2013, 5:37 am Post #65 - September 11th, 2013, 5:37 am
    leek wrote:THANK YOU Cathy2!!!

Yes, thank you Cathy.

Brought some Hatch chiles into Barn & Co yesterday and did a Hatch Green Chile brisket melt as a special. Tasty combo, if I do say so myself. :)

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #66 - September 11th, 2013, 8:20 am
    Post #66 - September 11th, 2013, 8:20 am Post #66 - September 11th, 2013, 8:20 am
    I'm just going to pass on the technique I've learned here from an 80 yo local here in Albuquerque. To aid in digestion, one chops the chiles with garlic and a liberal amount of salt, allowing it to "cure" at least 15 minutes, in their words. It actually does seem to help, lessening any harshness and yes, reducing indigestion. Oh, and you can use the EL Pato can to do this, if you don't have a knife :) If you're using it for burgers, saute this this with some onion, and put it on top on the cheese, so that they can meld/melt together. I like the ones that are most akin to a Chicago dog, those that have been dragged thru the garden, with a thin meat patty, like this one from The Owl.

http://www.theadventurepost.com/wp-cont ... Burger.jpg

edit to add: -sauteing w/ onion is optional, I just liked it better than without the onion. Cooking it is not optional, or at least it shouldn't be, the taste is difference is significant, but be your own judge. Cumin, however, is some sort of cardinal sin here unless it's in the El Pato.
    Last edited by dk on September 11th, 2013, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #67 - September 11th, 2013, 8:35 am
    Post #67 - September 11th, 2013, 8:35 am Post #67 - September 11th, 2013, 8:35 am
    Hi,

Thank you for your interest. It gave my trip back a greater sense of purpose bringing these home to you.

When I was picking these up, other patrons began telling me how much they love this time of year for these chiles. Ditto for the produce clerk, check-out girl and the guy who helped pack them into the car. When hatch chiles first arrived several weeks ago, they had the roaster out in the parking lot. I was in Kansas City at the time, which means I need to look out for these next year.

A friend I visited had just returned from Austin, she brought back hatch chile embedded tortillas and salsas. It was a universal love fest for these, which I always felt from reading Bill/SFNM's early posts.

If all goes well, we can do this again next year.

(I will be trimming away posts related to picking up logistics to keep this back on hatch chilies)

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #68 - September 11th, 2013, 12:10 pm
    Post #68 - September 11th, 2013, 12:10 pm Post #68 - September 11th, 2013, 12:10 pm
    Chiles are more than just an ingredient around here. The esteemed food critic of the San Francisco Chronicle just visited and wrote up this article:

http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/2013/09/10/in-santa-fe-its-all-about-chiles/
  • Post #69 - September 11th, 2013, 2:21 pm
    Post #69 - September 11th, 2013, 2:21 pm Post #69 - September 11th, 2013, 2:21 pm
    picked up a couple of pounds this afternoon at WF in Killdeer
    $1.99 # roasted and smoked

after peeling and seeding what should I make?
  • Post #70 - September 11th, 2013, 2:34 pm
    Post #70 - September 11th, 2013, 2:34 pm Post #70 - September 11th, 2013, 2:34 pm
    mhill95149 wrote:picked up a couple of pounds this afternoon at WF in Killdeer
    $1.99 # roasted and smoked

after peeling and seeding what should I make?

Mel,

This is my favorite:

http://www.charcrust.com/whatsnew/2009/02/recipesbeef-test-entry.php

The sauce is good on just about anything.
  • Post #71 - September 11th, 2013, 3:56 pm
    Post #71 - September 11th, 2013, 3:56 pm Post #71 - September 11th, 2013, 3:56 pm
    I know the growing season probably isn't long enough (or hot enough) in the midwest to get a huge yield. I thought I'd post this reminder, just in case anyone wants to experiment along with me, don't forget to save some seeds for next year! I'm going to plant mine extra early under a grow light so i have nice big plants once last frost passes.
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #72 - September 11th, 2013, 4:25 pm
    Post #72 - September 11th, 2013, 4:25 pm Post #72 - September 11th, 2013, 4:25 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    leek wrote:THANK YOU Cathy2!!!

Yes, thank you Cathy.

Brought some Hatch chiles into Barn & Co yesterday and did a Hatch Green Chile brisket melt as a special. Tasty combo, if I do say so myself. :)

Looks delicious, too bad I missed out on this!
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #73 - September 11th, 2013, 6:35 pm
    Post #73 - September 11th, 2013, 6:35 pm Post #73 - September 11th, 2013, 6:35 pm
    Matt--did you save me some seeds???
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #74 - September 11th, 2013, 8:00 pm
    Post #74 - September 11th, 2013, 8:00 pm Post #74 - September 11th, 2013, 8:00 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:Matt--did you save me some seeds???

I do have some. Though, anyone who got any of the hotter varieties, I'd be interested in some of those! Mine are from mild, which I don't find to be quite as flavorful, but I could be mistaken.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #75 - September 12th, 2013, 9:04 am
    Post #75 - September 12th, 2013, 9:04 am Post #75 - September 12th, 2013, 9:04 am
    My box said mild, but if that's mild then hot must be insane.

I didn't wear gloves to work with them, and the ones I used last night - wow. My hands being burning hot woke me up in the middle of the night!
    Leek

American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #76 - September 12th, 2013, 9:10 am
    Post #76 - September 12th, 2013, 9:10 am Post #76 - September 12th, 2013, 9:10 am
    leek wrote:My box said mild, but if that's mild then hot must be insane.

I didn't wear gloves to work with them, and the ones I used last night - wow. My hands being burning hot woke me up in the middle of the night!

Hi,

When I was picking these up, I saw 'mild' on the boxes. I did inquire if they had any hotter available. They did not. The clerk explained these were among the last for the season. Since I was in no position to wait, I took them.

Having no experience with hatch chiles, I did not know there was any opportunity to select heat levels. I ordered hatch chiles assuming it is a standardized item. I know jalapenos can be mild and burning, I assumed it was a random.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #77 - September 12th, 2013, 9:27 am
    Post #77 - September 12th, 2013, 9:27 am Post #77 - September 12th, 2013, 9:27 am
    my two pound from WF Killdeer were mild
  • Post #78 - September 12th, 2013, 12:10 pm
    Post #78 - September 12th, 2013, 12:10 pm Post #78 - September 12th, 2013, 12:10 pm
    Jewel at Randhurst has hatch chiles at 1.49/lb
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #79 - September 12th, 2013, 12:23 pm
    Post #79 - September 12th, 2013, 12:23 pm Post #79 - September 12th, 2013, 12:23 pm
    laikom wrote:Image

Looks delicious, too bad I missed out on this!

Matt,

Going to do a limited number of the Hatch Green Chile brisket melts as a special at Barn & Co tonight. Its lamb rib night or I would do more.

Regards,
    Gary Wiviott
    Pitmaster, Barn & Co
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #80 - September 13th, 2013, 12:37 pm
    Post #80 - September 13th, 2013, 12:37 pm Post #80 - September 13th, 2013, 12:37 pm
    Leak, or anyone else who has some "mild" peppers with heat, but would rather a milder version, please let me know if you want to trade. I have mine all roased over charcoal fire and peeled, in ziplocks and ready to go! Mine are certainly mild in the true sense and would rather have hot.

I stopped by Barn & Co last night and the brisket/hatch was a delicious sandwich indeed, with a side of Jus for dipping it was great. Gary, too use "mild" on the sandwich, and they were significantly hotter than mine are. Most of mine are as mild as bell peppers. The ones on the sandwich at Barn had a decent level of spice.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #81 - September 13th, 2013, 3:40 pm
    Post #81 - September 13th, 2013, 3:40 pm Post #81 - September 13th, 2013, 3:40 pm
    Maybe it's random and I just got a run of hot ones in the first batch I used.

Mine are not in as good of shape as yours. Some peeled beautifully and others really really did not. I gave up and froze them intact with seeds inside (in bags ranging around a pound each) and hope they'll be easier to peel when I thaw them! If not I'll simmer them until they are softer and use a food mill to separate out the peels.

If you want to trade some, that would be fine, but you will def. not be getting as good a product as you will be giving.
    Leek

• Post #82 - September 13th, 2013, 3:56 pm
    Post #82 - September 13th, 2013, 3:56 pm Post #82 - September 13th, 2013, 3:56 pm
    Mine are a little milder than others I've had, but quite enjoyable . . . planning on some green chile cheeseburgers Sunday.
  • Post #83 - September 13th, 2013, 5:32 pm
    Post #83 - September 13th, 2013, 5:32 pm Post #83 - September 13th, 2013, 5:32 pm
    I saw Hatch chiles at the Park Ridge Jewel last night; I think they were either $1.49 or $1.99/pound. Since I just wasn't sure if these were authentic, I didn't purchase any. Should I have taken the plunge?
    "When I'm born I'm a Tar Heel bred, and when I die I'm a Tar Heel dead."
  • Post #84 - September 14th, 2013, 6:57 am
    Post #84 - September 14th, 2013, 6:57 am Post #84 - September 14th, 2013, 6:57 am
    Cathy2 wrote:
    leek wrote:My box said mild, but if that's mild then hot must be insane.

Hi,

When I was picking these up, I saw 'mild' on the boxes. I did inquire if they had any hotter available. They did not. The clerk explained these were among the last for the season. Since I was in no position to wait, I took them.

Having no experience with hatch chiles, I did not know there was any opportunity to select heat levels. I ordered hatch chiles assuming it is a standardized item. I know jalapenos can be mild and burning, I assumed it was a random.

Regards,

"Hatch" is just an area which the chiles should be from. The actual variety of the chile should indicate the heat level. In the past few years, the marketing of these chiles has kind of lead ppl to believe they are all the same. If anyone is familiar with "green chile" as it is known in NM, some of Az, and some of Colorado, if you want to trade some, I'd love to. I'm finishing up a batch I made with bacon instead of fresh pork, and I'm due to make another batch soon. Would love to try someone else's recipe, but most ppl outside of the southwest aren't familiar with what it is. From what I understand, a few restaurants have been opened in the past that tried to serve the stuff, but they didn't last too long.

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24587&p=258936
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #85 - September 14th, 2013, 9:56 pm
    Post #85 - September 14th, 2013, 9:56 pm Post #85 - September 14th, 2013, 9:56 pm
    My peregrinations this evening took me to a different Jewel from where I usually shop; tonight, I was in the Skokie store at Niles Center Crossing on Touhy Avenue. They had packaged Hatch chiles for .99/pound, so I purchased two of them. I think I will also try the Serious Eats recipe mentioned upthread, but not quite sure what to do with the remainder. I have about 2.5 pounds total, and am looking forward to enjoying this taste treat!
    "When I'm born I'm a Tar Heel bred, and when I die I'm a Tar Heel dead."
  • Post #86 - September 15th, 2013, 7:25 am
    Post #86 - September 15th, 2013, 7:25 am Post #86 - September 15th, 2013, 7:25 am
    I've got Barker Extra Hot seeds from the abundance of peppers they produced, if anyone wants some. It's one of the NuMex breeds. They are HOT. On a scale of 1-10, they're a 9. I also have a plethora of bhut jolokia (at least that's what they were labeled), that I've been afraid to try, but they're mature, red and full of seeds also. I had lousy luck with them in Chicago, but did manage to bring the plant inside and produce a couple one year. I also have Big Jim. If I can send anyone some seeds, please send me a PM.

this is what they look like:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 74dda0d9af
  • Post #87 - September 15th, 2013, 8:50 am
    Post #87 - September 15th, 2013, 8:50 am Post #87 - September 15th, 2013, 8:50 am
    My only problem with saving seeds from chiles was that they hybridize so easily! I did it for several years and never got any to breed true, except for one variety which I grew (on purpose) separated twenty meters or so from the regular chile patch.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #88 - September 15th, 2013, 8:59 am
    Post #88 - September 15th, 2013, 8:59 am Post #88 - September 15th, 2013, 8:59 am
    sdbond wrote:My peregrinations this evening took me to a different Jewel from where I usually shop; tonight, I was in the Skokie store at Niles Center Crossing on Touhy Avenue. They had packaged Hatch chiles for .99/pound, so I purchased two of them. I think I will also try the Serious Eats recipe mentioned upthread, but not quite sure what to do with the remainder. I have about 2.5 pounds total, and am looking forward to enjoying this taste treat!

So many possibilities - chili, green chile cheeseburgers, stuff them with meat or potatoes or vegetables and serve them atop a roasted vegetable sauce . . . to name a few popular ideas.
  • Post #89 - September 15th, 2013, 9:02 am
    Post #89 - September 15th, 2013, 9:02 am Post #89 - September 15th, 2013, 9:02 am
    I love stuffing with chorizo and queso fresco and serving with fresh tomato sauce. Planning to mix some roasted ones in with some roasted tomatillos and avocado as a sauce for grilled salmon (and chip dip!!) tonite.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #90 - September 15th, 2013, 10:53 am
    Post #90 - September 15th, 2013, 10:53 am Post #90 - September 15th, 2013, 10:53 am
    Geo wrote:My only problem with saving seeds from chiles was that they hybridize so easily! I did it for several years and never got any to breed true, except for one variety which I grew (on purpose) separated twenty meters or so from the regular chile patch.

Geo

Very true, at least my first batch may come out resembling hatch chiles. Better yet, hopefully they'll come out hybridized with some spicier variety from Hatch NM...

-Mark Twain

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more