LTH Home

How do you like your popcorn?

How do you like your popcorn?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 4
  • Post #61 - February 20th, 2008, 9:23 pm
    Post #61 - February 20th, 2008, 9:23 pm Post #61 - February 20th, 2008, 9:23 pm
    mmm, I like the idea of furikake!

Where do you buy za'atar?
    "Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you want and let the food fight it out inside."
    -Mark Twain
  • Post #62 - February 20th, 2008, 9:48 pm
    Post #62 - February 20th, 2008, 9:48 pm Post #62 - February 20th, 2008, 9:48 pm
    Well, the stuff I have right now I got in Palestine, not helpful.

But, if I were buying more, I'd go to Albany Park, in a store where the bags looked like there was a lot of turn over. Al-khayimeh or some such. And then, you know, monkey with it--more sumac or sesame, because I can't leave it alone.
  • Post #63 - February 25th, 2008, 4:07 pm
    Post #63 - February 25th, 2008, 4:07 pm Post #63 - February 25th, 2008, 4:07 pm
    Petite Princess Amber kernels, whirly-popped with rendered bacon fat, lightly salted. Truly my most favorite snack.

You can get Petite Princess Amber here: http://www.crownjewelgourmet.com/
  • Post #64 - December 8th, 2009, 11:41 am
    Post #64 - December 8th, 2009, 11:41 am Post #64 - December 8th, 2009, 11:41 am
    I'm just bumping this thread to see if anyone has any new popcorn ideas. I'm making a buffet of soups and popcorn for a team of volunteers this Friday, figuring it's a cheap, fun way to feed a lot of people. Vegan popcorn ideas are especially welcome.

Thanks,
    Sharon
  • Post #65 - December 8th, 2009, 11:58 am
    Post #65 - December 8th, 2009, 11:58 am Post #65 - December 8th, 2009, 11:58 am
    happy_stomach wrote:I'm just bumping this thread to see if anyone has any new popcorn ideas.

H_S,

Granulated maple sugar for a sweet treat, Vulcan Fire Salt for heat with a twang as it contains, among other ingredients, Louisiana chile mash, habanero and lime peel. I sometimes combine the two for a sweet/heat one-two punch.

Both are available at The Spice House

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Sauce on the side, always, implied, axiomatic..........never a doubt, BBQ sauce without.

Low & Slow
  • Post #66 - December 8th, 2009, 2:59 pm
    Post #66 - December 8th, 2009, 2:59 pm Post #66 - December 8th, 2009, 2:59 pm
    Plain ol' microwave popcorn with either truffle salt or Bacon Salt (depending on my mood).
  • Post #67 - December 8th, 2009, 8:25 pm
    Post #67 - December 8th, 2009, 8:25 pm Post #67 - December 8th, 2009, 8:25 pm
    happy_stomach wrote:I'm just bumping this thread to see if anyone has any new popcorn ideas. I'm making a buffet of soups and popcorn for a team of volunteers this Friday, figuring it's a cheap, fun way to feed a lot of people. Vegan popcorn ideas are especially welcome.

Thanks,
    Sharon

A little olive oil spritzed onto popcorn then add granulated garlic, sea salt, paprika, & pepper (I use fresh ground black). I've been on a popcorn kick of late & we usually have this after dinner with butter or olive oil depending on my mood.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #68 - December 9th, 2009, 1:29 pm
    Post #68 - December 9th, 2009, 1:29 pm Post #68 - December 9th, 2009, 1:29 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    happy_stomach wrote:I'm just bumping this thread to see if anyone has any new popcorn ideas.

H_S,

Granulated maple sugar for a sweet treat, Vulcan Fire Salt for heat with a twang as it contains, among other ingredients, Louisiana chile mash, habanero and lime peel. I sometimes combine the two for a sweet/heat one-two punch.

Both are available at The Spice House

Thanks, Gary, for these suggestions. Despite my sweet tooth, I don't much care for sweet popcorn, but I just had myself a little shopping spree at the Spice House and picked up a bottle of the fire salt and also some shichimi togarashi for popcorn. I thought I'd have to wait until I got home tonight to try out both spices, but for once I felt lucky to have popped corn cakes at my desk. An early afternoon snack:

I love the Vulcan's Fire salt and imagine it'll only be better on freshly popped corn. BTW, I was happy to see the Spice House (Evanston) doing what seemed like brisk business. There were more staff in the shop packing up mail orders than I'd ever seen. I guess 'tis the season(ing).

Haha - I made a food funny! :lol:
  • Post #69 - May 1st, 2010, 11:35 pm
    Post #69 - May 1st, 2010, 11:35 pm Post #69 - May 1st, 2010, 11:35 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Fresh popped popcorn, light salt, light butter, with Frosted Flakes. Evocative of caramel corn, but with more crunch, the butterscotch sweetness of the FF played perfectly off the popcorn's butter and salt.
    So wrong, yet so right.

Given the outright viciousness this combo presents to ones dietary health I'm happy to see its been three years since I last indulged.
    Sauce on the side, always, implied, axiomatic..........never a doubt, BBQ sauce without.

Low & Slow
  • Post #70 - May 2nd, 2010, 9:11 pm
    Post #70 - May 2nd, 2010, 9:11 pm Post #70 - May 2nd, 2010, 9:11 pm
    I'm big on using coconut oil to make my popcorn on the stove. I found that spending a few extra dollars and using an organic coconut oil (or just a better quality oil) does make a huge difference in flavor. That is, there's actually a discernible, but not overpowering, coconut flavor.

My favorite toppings are fresh shaved parmigiano reggiano and a few drops of truffle oil.

A somewhat less indulgent favorite topping is plain old fresh cracked pepper.

I've tried making my own caramel corn sans corn syrup by just caramelizing sugar in butter and pouring it over lightly salted popcorn. You get kind of an unappealing, non-uniform coating, but boy does it taste good!
  • Post #71 - May 5th, 2010, 1:01 am
    Post #71 - May 5th, 2010, 1:01 am Post #71 - May 5th, 2010, 1:01 am
    I'm old school, cheap white popcorn which actually tastes like corn (cannot stand Redenbacher, it tastes like styrofoam) in a saucepan with peanut oil, then butter and salt. In Mexico they put chile buffalo on popcorn which is quite good. The aroma of popcorn is one I like, but the Mrs. does not. I do however hate the smell of microwave popcorn, whatever they put in it stinks to high heaven. Someone mentioned Black Cat, that was awesome in the cardboard can, but I haven't seen it in years.
    trpt2345
  • Post #72 - August 17th, 2011, 8:17 pm
    Post #72 - August 17th, 2011, 8:17 pm Post #72 - August 17th, 2011, 8:17 pm
    Trying this tonight: http://lemonsandanchovies.wordpress.com ... ers-yeast/

A friend who has a vegan catering service, offered me some of her popcorn that's seasoned with a blend that includes brewer's yeast. It's incredible stuff; I'm hoping this recipe comes close. ( http://www.therootsyvegan.com/6.html )
  • Post #73 - August 17th, 2011, 9:49 pm
    Post #73 - August 17th, 2011, 9:49 pm Post #73 - August 17th, 2011, 9:49 pm
    Mhays wrote:Trying this tonight: http://lemonsandanchovies.wordpress.com ... ers-yeast/

A friend who has a vegan catering service, offered me some of her popcorn that's seasoned with a blend that includes brewer's yeast. It's incredible stuff; I'm hoping this recipe comes close. ( http://www.therootsyvegan.com/6.html )

Mr. X keeps a can of brewer's yeast in the pantry for his popcorn. He learned it from his brother when they roomed together downstate. He uses melted butter and the yeast. I'm not a fan of brewer's yeast on my popcorn, but he hasn't offered it with the garlic and paprika. Maybe I'll make his popcorn next time and surprise him.
    -Mary
  • Post #74 - August 17th, 2011, 9:52 pm
    Post #74 - August 17th, 2011, 9:52 pm Post #74 - August 17th, 2011, 9:52 pm
    I've been really hung up on butter, salt and a good sprinkling of pimentón lately.

Thanks for the Whirlypop suggestions, BTW. Love that thing.
    Dominic Armato
    Dining Critic
    The Arizona Republic and azcentral.com
  • Post #75 - April 4th, 2012, 9:31 am
    Post #75 - April 4th, 2012, 9:31 am Post #75 - April 4th, 2012, 9:31 am
    My latest popcorn obsession: GWiv's BBQ rub (from the Spice House because I'm lazy).
    Deeply spicy, salty.

And as an aside, I bought a small can of Kraft Mac'n'Cheese popcorn topping when America's Market was closing out, and it's somewhat of a disappointment. It just falls through the corn to the bottom, and the cheese flavor isn't that intense. I imagine buttered popcorn would have more cling factor and dairy notes, but I was trying to find a way to add flavor without much extra fat.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #76 - April 5th, 2012, 9:59 am
    Post #76 - April 5th, 2012, 9:59 am Post #76 - April 5th, 2012, 9:59 am
    I was at a Chopping Block class yesterday and there was a giant bowl of popcorn sprinkled with Parmesan and truffle salt. Freakin' awesome.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love
    There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach
    In the world of apples, Pink Lady runs the whorehouse. ~ James Napoli

Late-Nite Eats Database
  • Post #77 - April 5th, 2012, 4:08 pm
    Post #77 - April 5th, 2012, 4:08 pm Post #77 - April 5th, 2012, 4:08 pm
    This thread is making me hungry. Unfortuntely I have been off popcorn ever since I ate a small bag of Garretts chicago mix which landed me in the hospital with a severe attack of diverticulitis several years ago. I would love to have popcorn again even if it was only once or twice a year. There is such a thing as hulless (hull - less) popcorn which does not have that brown piece to it which can cause problems. Has anyone tried it?
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #78 - April 5th, 2012, 5:50 pm
    Post #78 - April 5th, 2012, 5:50 pm Post #78 - April 5th, 2012, 5:50 pm
    I have a theater popcorn machine (they were throwing it out and the kids moving it looked the other way as I loaded it into my truck) that had to have an acid bath to get all of the buildup out. However, Popcorn has to be popped in coconut oil. My favorite topping is a light load of melted butter and "Malt Salt". www.maltsalt.com. I used to put malt vinegar in with the butter, but the malt salt works out well with unsalted butter. I often also do a cheese melt with whatever is handy and stir it in with the popcorn. Otherwise, just some of the Kraft mac & cheese topping or a healthy dose of grated parmesan or romano cheese.
  • Post #79 - April 6th, 2012, 7:27 am
    Post #79 - April 6th, 2012, 7:27 am Post #79 - April 6th, 2012, 7:27 am
    I love the Garrett's cheese popcorn. While I have seen recipes for Caramel Corn, I have never seen a recipe for cheese popcorn. Preferably just like Garrett's cheese popcorn. Has anyone ever seen a recipe for cheese popcorn? I did come across one that used the cheese from the Kraft Mac and Cheese box. Which I should have known better, but the results were not good at all! Just wondering if anyone has ever tried to make cheese popcorn. Thanks!
  • Post #80 - April 6th, 2012, 1:30 pm
    Post #80 - April 6th, 2012, 1:30 pm Post #80 - April 6th, 2012, 1:30 pm
    Not like what you like for cheese popcorn, but I melt cheddar (and or whatever is in the fridge) with some butter, put it into the popcorn bowl and swirl, and it comes out like cheese popcorn balls. Putting some grated white hard cheese as it stiffens is just awesome.
  • Post #81 - April 7th, 2012, 2:28 am
    Post #81 - April 7th, 2012, 2:28 am Post #81 - April 7th, 2012, 2:28 am
    I've got one of those Movie-Time poppers with the crank on top. What volume of oil to corn do you guys normally use? I seem to always use too much or too little oil, and use it so infrequently that I forget what the correct proportions are.
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
  • Post #82 - April 7th, 2012, 7:23 am
    Post #82 - April 7th, 2012, 7:23 am Post #82 - April 7th, 2012, 7:23 am
    Thank you for the cheese popcorn tip exvaxman. I will try that. You might be on the right path because I have been to Garrett's when they are mixing the cheese popcorn and it is a cheese sauce they put on the popcorn. Thanks again!
  • Post #83 - April 8th, 2012, 5:57 pm
    Post #83 - April 8th, 2012, 5:57 pm Post #83 - April 8th, 2012, 5:57 pm
    stevez wrote:I'll bet Corn Pops would work well, too...and would be in keeping with the corn theme. Popcorn with Corn Pops.

This is the only sweet cereal I eat. I usually buy a box each year and eat with Traderspoint milk for dessert or as an indulgence. If Traderspoint isn't available I use half & half.

I think I'm having popcorn for dinner.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #84 - April 9th, 2012, 7:26 am
    Post #84 - April 9th, 2012, 7:26 am Post #84 - April 9th, 2012, 7:26 am
    MARYC wrote:I love the Garrett's cheese popcorn. While I have seen recipes for Caramel Corn, I have never seen a recipe for cheese popcorn. Preferably just like Garrett's cheese popcorn. Has anyone ever seen a recipe for cheese popcorn? I did come across one that used the cheese from the Kraft Mac and Cheese box. Which I should have known better, but the results were not good at all! Just wondering if anyone has ever tried to make cheese popcorn. Thanks!

The Spice House sells powdered cheddar. If you want a slightly less terrifying color, I like their Taylor Street Cheese blend. A little olive oil, the Taylor Street blend, plenty of fine sea salt, and maybe a little smoked paprika makes for a wonderful movie snack.
  • Post #85 - April 9th, 2012, 2:39 pm
    Post #85 - April 9th, 2012, 2:39 pm Post #85 - April 9th, 2012, 2:39 pm
    MARYC wrote:
    The Spice House sells powdered cheddar. If you want a slightly less terrifying color, I like their Taylor Street Cheese blend. A little olive oil, the Taylor Street blend, plenty of fine sea salt, and maybe a little smoked paprika makes for a wonderful movie snack.

Powdered cheddar is actually easy to make at home. I slice really thin with the food processor, put it into the dehydrator, and then into the food processor again to power it. The downside is that it has to be kept in the fridge.
  • Post #86 - April 10th, 2012, 6:15 pm
    Post #86 - April 10th, 2012, 6:15 pm Post #86 - April 10th, 2012, 6:15 pm
    Gale Gand gave us this recipe for cheese popcorn which she made with our cheese powder. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/gale ... index.html
    We can order the powder in a creamy natural color, or a scary bright orange color, but ironically, the customers got upset when we switched to the non orange color!
  • Post #87 - April 11th, 2012, 6:21 am
    Post #87 - April 11th, 2012, 6:21 am Post #87 - April 11th, 2012, 6:21 am
    Thank you all for your help in my quest to make homemade Garrett's cheese popcorn. When I make it I will let you know how it turns out. I can't wait to try it. Thanks again to all for their suggestions.
  • Post #88 - April 11th, 2012, 12:52 pm
    Post #88 - April 11th, 2012, 12:52 pm Post #88 - April 11th, 2012, 12:52 pm
    This is a strange one, but my son experimented with popcorn the other night and put a package of instant Miso soup on it.
    He loved it. I was not interested in trying.
  • Post #89 - April 23rd, 2012, 3:13 pm
    Post #89 - April 23rd, 2012, 3:13 pm Post #89 - April 23rd, 2012, 3:13 pm
    An interesting article on a Canadian chef (squirrel sushi anyone?) but it has a decent recipe for maple popcorn in it
    http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2012/04/23/martin-picard-canadas-beaverish-chef/
  • Post #90 - April 23rd, 2012, 7:57 pm
    Post #90 - April 23rd, 2012, 7:57 pm Post #90 - April 23rd, 2012, 7:57 pm
    One of my favorites is putting Tobasco around the outside of the bowl and tossing the popcorn in it. As long as it doesn't become mushy from the hot sauce.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more