LTH Home

The Charm of the BLT

The Charm of the BLT
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 4
  • Post #61 - July 21st, 2006, 10:01 pm
    Post #61 - July 21st, 2006, 10:01 pm Post #61 - July 21st, 2006, 10:01 pm
    A couple of comments:
    1) My aversion to mayo is, to a large degree, its bland greasiness. Bacon mayo actually sounds worth trying, and rendered chorizo mayo may be something I'll have to test as soon as I have a working stovetop again
    2) Another nice crunch green for sandiwches is young mustard greens. Let them get too big and old, and they're tough and very strong-flavored. The younger leaves add a lot of spice to a sandwich. I've been using them with burgers with bleu cheese dressing every spring, and lament when they bolt, and get inedible without a nice long simmer. Their spiciness pairs nicely with a mayo-based dressing, where a ketchup or mustard would muddle them.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #62 - July 26th, 2010, 8:44 am
    Post #62 - July 26th, 2010, 8:44 am Post #62 - July 26th, 2010, 8:44 am
    Inspired by a BLC (bacon lettuce cucumber) salad made by Aarti of Next Food Network Star fame (and in celebration of them getting rid of that annoying Serena), I made a bacon, tomato, avocado, carmelized onion and cucumber sandwich (topped with homemade aioli mixed with tandoori spice from The Spice house) this weekend. Really tasty, I don't know why I let so much time go by between BLT's/BLC's/BCT's/BACCT's, etc...

• Post #63 - August 6th, 2010, 7:46 pm
    Post #63 - August 6th, 2010, 7:46 pm Post #63 - August 6th, 2010, 7:46 pm
    Hubby and Sparky came up with this one on their own: the BKT - bacon, kale chips and tomato. (Kale chips: wash and tear up several large kale leaves. Toss with olive oil until coated - roast at 300 degrees for about 10 minutes until crispy) Nice bitter edge to the kale chips, and good contrast of textures even with crispy bacon: the kale chips kind of shatter pleasantly as you bite down.

• Post #64 - August 12th, 2010, 4:41 pm
    Post #64 - August 12th, 2010, 4:41 pm Post #64 - August 12th, 2010, 4:41 pm
    LTH,

No freshly baked homemade bread this time. Just squishy, soft Wonder bread with Hellman's, split cherry tomatoes from Nichols, freshly ground pepper, and Scott's Kentucky bacon. I used their sliced slab bacon today rather than their jowl.

http://www.scotthams.com/index.php?meth ... GroupsId=3

I think tomorrow I might have to have the same sandwich substituting Taylor Pork roll for bacon.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9724&hilit=Taylor+Pork+Roll

:twisted:
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.
  • Post #65 - July 5th, 2012, 4:48 pm
    Post #65 - July 5th, 2012, 4:48 pm Post #65 - July 5th, 2012, 4:48 pm
    My first BLT of the summer season was as fantastic as any I have had. I got some excellent sliced pancetta from P & E Mullins 'Local' in New Buffalo, Michigan. It's a meat specialty store. More on this place in an appropriate thread but to all those reading this one here that find themselves in or passing thru Harbor Country this summer, they're on Red Arrow Highway, check 'em out. They're doing some good things like this homemade Pancetta.

Pancetta from Local in New Buffalo, MI

As I thought of what to do with this batch, which my uncle actually brought me back (I've since been back there to see for myself) BLT's came to my mind. It's officially summer so why not? I did a quick google search of "pancetta BLT's" and this first result is not only easy but sounded very succulent and refreshing which is what I wanted in this heatwave week. Although the cheese might not be readily available to all. I got it at Lincoln Park Whole Foods which carries the real Italian stuff which is what I grabbed and also a Wisconsin brand from BelGioioso Cheese. I also learned Standard Market makes it fresh every Wednesday but it goes quick.

Ingredients

Crispy Cooked Pancetta
    Burrata Cheese
    Heirloom Tomatoes or Other
    Arugula
    Olive Oil & Salt
    Bread

Arugula and tomatoes marinating in olive oil and herbs

Those unfamiliar with Burratta cheese, it's really rich. Burratta means buttered in Italian. It's similar to mozzarella which it resembles in looks but it's not that. It's definitely it's own cheese much creamier and softer too so it spreads. The sandwich was simple but made great by using the best available ingredients. Directions arent really necessary but cook the pancetta until crispy and set aside and then toast your bread. Spread the Burratta cheese on one top of a piece for each sandwich and then add the pancetta followed by the tomato/arugula mixture and eat. Not a cheap BLT but a damn pleasing one.

Pancetta BLT
  • Post #66 - July 5th, 2012, 7:26 pm
    Post #66 - July 5th, 2012, 7:26 pm Post #66 - July 5th, 2012, 7:26 pm
    DB--that looks amazing! I'm now a little bitter that I drove right by that place last month on my way back from Union Pier and didn't even know about it.
  • Post #67 - August 17th, 2013, 12:49 pm
    Post #67 - August 17th, 2013, 12:49 pm Post #67 - August 17th, 2013, 12:49 pm
    The tomatoes are in and today was the day that Ronna and I made our traditional once-a-year BLTs.

The 2013 edition included: green zebra, Pruden's purple, and Black Sea man tomatoes from our garden, bacon from Jordanal Farms, homemade bacon aioli, and a few splashes of Grace hot sauce. I was pleasantly surprised by the baguette from The Eating Well at the Glenview Farmers Market.

Until next year, BLT. We will miss you.

--Rich
    blt.JPG
    delicioso.JPG
    I don't know what you think about dinner, but there must be a relation between the breakfast and the happiness. --Cemal Süreyya
  • Post #68 - June 14th, 2016, 10:35 am
    Post #68 - June 14th, 2016, 10:35 am Post #68 - June 14th, 2016, 10:35 am
    With Mighty Vine tomatoes now readily available at Local Foods you don't really need to wait until mid-July to start making BLT's. I couldn't wait that long considering I had just returned home from a stop in Charleston and did so with a few elbows of Carolina White (shrimp) that was caught and bought the same morning at the Shrimpers Market in Mt. Pleasant.

So I had a few meals of shrimp worth to eat and a BLT sounded wonderful for one of them. With Mighty Vine's product being readily available at Local Foods I decided to just go there and get everything in one swoop. 10 strips of bacon from B&L as well as a sliced Pullman Rye Sourdough loaf from Publican Quality Bread and the tomatoes and I was good to go. The lettuce came from my parents yard and I always keep both Duke's and Kewpie mayo's in the fridge. Lightly toasted the buttered bread and seasoned the scrimps with some Cajun seasoning and BAM!

ImageSCSBLT (South Carolina Shrimp BLT)
  • Post #69 - June 14th, 2016, 10:59 am
    Post #69 - June 14th, 2016, 10:59 am Post #69 - June 14th, 2016, 10:59 am
    This crappy iPad photo was taken a few summers ago in late August, but the sandwich was stellar. Crisp Scott's Kentucky jowl bacon, Nichols' Farm tomatoes, iceberg lettuce, Tellicherry black pepper, Hellmann's (gasp!!!) and soft squishy Martins' potato bread. I baked a lot of bread that summer (Busman's holiday), but for me, very fresh commercial white bread allows everything else to shine through. (This is also true for soft shell crab sandwiches...no ciabatta or rustic sourdough for this dinosaur please.)

• Post #70 - June 14th, 2016, 6:45 pm
    Post #70 - June 14th, 2016, 6:45 pm Post #70 - June 14th, 2016, 6:45 pm
    Evil Ronnie wrote:
    Hellmann's (gasp!!!)

Used to be the mayo, of course, but somehow not now as good as I think I remember.

"Sir Kensington" mayo (the regular kind, labeled "Classic") is quite tasty.
    fine words butter no parsnips
  • Post #71 - June 15th, 2016, 3:12 pm
    Post #71 - June 15th, 2016, 3:12 pm Post #71 - June 15th, 2016, 3:12 pm
    Roger Ramjet wrote:
    Evil Ronnie wrote:
    Hellmann's (gasp!!!)

Used to be the mayo, of course, but somehow not now as good as I think I remember.

"Sir Kensington" mayo (the regular kind, labeled "Classic") is quite tasty.

I lived in Norfolk, VA for my first 21 years, and my mom bought Kraft + Miracle Whip. "Dukes" was on every grocery store shelf, but our family didn't go there. I'd like to try it and will one day, but I'm now using lower fat Hellmann's at home, and can not tell the difference on a sandwich. When you use the low fat product to make Ranch, Roquefort, Green Goddess, etc...the dressing does break down much more rapidly.

(I'm scheduled for a Sleeve Gastrectomy on 11 JUL 16, and have now lost 39 lbs. since November. :D :D :D )
  • Post #72 - June 24th, 2016, 6:30 pm
    Post #72 - June 24th, 2016, 6:30 pm Post #72 - June 24th, 2016, 6:30 pm
    Ronnie, best of luck with your 'procedure'. And bien fait on your loss of avoirdupois! Keep it off, dood!

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #73 - June 25th, 2016, 8:07 pm
    Post #73 - June 25th, 2016, 8:07 pm Post #73 - June 25th, 2016, 8:07 pm
    Geo wrote:Ronnie, best of luck with your 'procedure'. And bien fait on your loss of avoirdupois! Keep it off, dood!

Geo

Merci, Geo. My decision to move forward with this has taken me twelve years, and I feel well prepared by the Team at NWMH. 39 lb. pre surgery weight loss.
  • Post #74 - July 5th, 2016, 10:29 am
    Post #74 - July 5th, 2016, 10:29 am Post #74 - July 5th, 2016, 10:29 am
    The secrets to a good BLT I found in a few places in the loop where I would go and they made really good bLTs. I watched them make them. You don't need to add flavors or anything special as there was nothing special to what they made. Get some good white bread and toast it. I love using Turano bread toasted. Traditionally people use iceberg lettuce but a nice piece of crunchy romaine will do too. Skip any fancy greens or arugula which adds unpleasant non BLT tastes. The secret is to get a good tomato preferably from the garden if you have one. If not get a nice slice of a good tomato. Use good mayo like hellman's..I think home made lacks the tang you need. And the real secret is use a lot of bacon. You don't need pepper bacon or any thing else the secret is some nice crisp bacon and lots of it. You will then get a very bacon taste.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #75 - July 22nd, 2016, 9:07 am
    Post #75 - July 22nd, 2016, 9:07 am Post #75 - July 22nd, 2016, 9:07 am
    enjoyed a smoked sturgeon BLT (smoked sturgeon added to traditional white bread BLT) at Fahlstrom's on Belmont. Quite enjoyable.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #76 - May 7th, 2018, 6:22 pm
    Post #76 - May 7th, 2018, 6:22 pm Post #76 - May 7th, 2018, 6:22 pm
    Between Mighty Vine tomatoes and Gotham Greens, I've become spoiled. Terrific tomatoes and greens ALL YEAR LONG in Chicago. So, a BLT for dinner. Maybe not the best picture, but I'm a happy camper. Of course, my wallet will be far happier in a few months when my garden is overflowing with ripe tomatoes.

• Post #77 - August 12th, 2018, 4:54 pm
    Post #77 - August 12th, 2018, 4:54 pm Post #77 - August 12th, 2018, 4:54 pm
    BLTFB1.jpg BLT, fresh Skokie Farmer's Market tomatoes, corn and lettuce. Garlic, serrano, lime, bacon fat aioli. Because I'm fancy like that.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #78 - June 16th, 2020, 7:42 pm
    Post #78 - June 16th, 2020, 7:42 pm Post #78 - June 16th, 2020, 7:42 pm
    @redhotrancher on Instagram waxed poetic about Blue Plate Mayo, even Cooks Illustrated ranked it #1 over my fav Hellman's. Not available in Chicagoland, Amazon delivered in two days. First blush, tip-top, eggy, like a dialed up to 12 Hellman's. BLT for dinner, went a little overboard on the Blue Plate, tasty!

BLTBluePlateP1.jpg Blue Plate Mayo BLT

Blue Plate Mayo, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #79 - June 16th, 2020, 7:46 pm
    Post #79 - June 16th, 2020, 7:46 pm Post #79 - June 16th, 2020, 7:46 pm
    G Wiv wrote:@redhotrancher on Instagram waxed poetic about Blue Plate Mayo, even Cooks Illustrated ranked it #1 over my fav Hellman's. Not available in Chicagoland, Amazon delivered in two days. First blush, tip-top, eggy, like a dialed up to 12 Hellman's. BLT for dinner, went a little overboard on the Blue Plate, tasty!

Never had Blue Plate mayo before but those are some damned nice-looking BLT's!

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #80 - June 16th, 2020, 7:51 pm
    Post #80 - June 16th, 2020, 7:51 pm Post #80 - June 16th, 2020, 7:51 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Never had Blue Plate mayo before but those are some damned nice-looking BLT's!

Actually, I bet you have. From what I understand most of the po boy shops in New Orleans use Blue Plate. Parkway, Domilise's etc.

BLT's were great, one of those is rye bread, the other english muffin both toasted. And tomatoes were from a Farmers Market, bacon Nueskes, lettuce, Iceberg. :)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #81 - June 16th, 2020, 10:14 pm
    Post #81 - June 16th, 2020, 10:14 pm Post #81 - June 16th, 2020, 10:14 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Never had Blue Plate mayo before but those are some damned nice-looking BLT's!

Actually, I bet you have. From what I understand most of the po boy shops in New Orleans use Blue Plate. Parkway, Domilise's etc.

Okay, then definitely I have. It looked familiar but I couldn't recall ever having purchased it.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #82 - June 17th, 2020, 2:40 am
    Post #82 - June 17th, 2020, 2:40 am Post #82 - June 17th, 2020, 2:40 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:It looked familiar but I couldn't recall ever having purchased it.

Blue Plate Mayo might look familiar as the packaging seems evocative of Hellmann's. I have a jar of Blue Plate with your name on it next time I see you.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #83 - June 17th, 2020, 4:35 am
    Post #83 - June 17th, 2020, 4:35 am Post #83 - June 17th, 2020, 4:35 am
    On the way!
    E8A5C5F7-9A30-467B-A30A-08189189F549.png
  • Post #84 - June 17th, 2020, 5:42 am
    Post #84 - June 17th, 2020, 5:42 am Post #84 - June 17th, 2020, 5:42 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:It looked familiar but I couldn't recall ever having purchased it.

Blue Plate Mayo might look familiar as the packaging seems evocative of Hellmann's. I have a jar of Blue Plate with your name on it next time I see you.

To me it is more than evocative. I'm amazed Helmans hasn't sued.
  • Post #85 - June 17th, 2020, 5:45 am
    Post #85 - June 17th, 2020, 5:45 am Post #85 - June 17th, 2020, 5:45 am
    Huh. Blue Plate mayo, eh? Well, I've always sworn by Hellman's/Best Foods, until a year ago when I started making my own Kenji-style whole-egg.

So now I've got to try this new stuff. <sigh> Well, what the hey! isn't that what
    Prime is for?

I'll report back--and yeah, I've probably had it at Acme Oyster, non?

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #86 - June 17th, 2020, 8:26 am
    Post #86 - June 17th, 2020, 8:26 am Post #86 - June 17th, 2020, 8:26 am
    budrichard wrote:On the way!

Nice, I'm thinking you will like Blue Plate. I'm planning on turkey club or salad (chicken or tuna) for lunch. First BLT blush was tip-top.

Wondering why you purchased Heavy Duty mayo? As you probably already know its typically a food service product, we used it at the restaurant, sold across most brands. Heavy duty contains slightly more egg and the emulsification is a little more stable. It also "weeps" less in salads etc when held.

My Amazon order was Blue Plate Squeeze Mayonnaise, Regular, 18oz (Pack of 6) incl shipping for $15.84. A pretty good deal, as was your purchase of a gallon of Heavy Duty for $8.88.

BluePlateAmazon1.jpg Blue Plate Squeeze Mayonnaise
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #87 - September 29th, 2020, 10:30 am
    Post #87 - September 29th, 2020, 10:30 am Post #87 - September 29th, 2020, 10:30 am
    Here is a wild, and tasty looking, idea from Instagram. Cuban sandwich with BLT garnish. Going to try soon.

click to enlarge

Cuban sandwiches, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #88 - August 29th, 2021, 7:50 pm
    Post #88 - August 29th, 2021, 7:50 pm Post #88 - August 29th, 2021, 7:50 pm
    Tasty summer BLT. Hendrickx bread, home grown tomato, decent bacon, Kewpie mayo, crunchy romaine. Fresh from the Farmers market corn, really good corn the bride brought back from visiting her brother in East Dubuque.

click to enlarge

BLT, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #89 - August 30th, 2021, 6:42 am
    Post #89 - August 30th, 2021, 6:42 am Post #89 - August 30th, 2021, 6:42 am
    I'm wrong about the mayo, I confused Best Foods and Blue Plate....duh!
    Last edited by dukesdad on August 30th, 2021, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #90 - August 30th, 2021, 7:16 am
    Post #90 - August 30th, 2021, 7:16 am Post #90 - August 30th, 2021, 7:16 am
    dukesdad wrote:Blue Plate and Hellman's are the same

I do believe you are mixing up Blue Plate and Best Food's. Hellmann's is Best Food's west of the Rockies.

No matter actually, I will happily consume Best Food's mayo, Hellmann's mayo, Kewpie mayo and pretty much any ~full figure~ type mayo on the market. I may have another BLT today with homemade mayo, loads of garlic and jalapeno.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more