LTH Home

ice cream makers

ice cream makers
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - July 16th, 2006, 9:42 pm
    Post #31 - July 16th, 2006, 9:42 pm Post #31 - July 16th, 2006, 9:42 pm
    bjt,

At epicurious.com recently, I used a berry ice cream recipe which included cream cheese. This ice cream was smooth, creamy and one young family member thought it tasted like cheesecake.

I had been alerted to cream cheese as an ice cream ingredient by nr706 or Bob S on this thread, which has recipes and ideas.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #32 - July 17th, 2006, 8:10 am
    Post #32 - July 17th, 2006, 8:10 am Post #32 - July 17th, 2006, 8:10 am
    Cathy2 wrote:bjt,

At epicurious.com recently, I used a berry ice cream recipe which included cream cheese. This ice cream was smooth, creamy and one young family member thought it tasted like cheesecake.

I had been alerted to cream cheese as an ice cream ingredient by nr706 or Bob S on this thread, which has recipes and ideas.

Regards,

I was actually looking at ice cream recipes quite a bit over the weekend; while I ended up making strawberry, I did study the lemon cheesecake ice cream recipe I've made in the past. It calls for ricotta, though, not cream cheese. Thanks for the reminder, Cathy, as I'll try to remember to post the basic recipe tonight.
  • Post #33 - July 24th, 2006, 7:38 pm
    Post #33 - July 24th, 2006, 7:38 pm Post #33 - July 24th, 2006, 7:38 pm
    Hey Cathy2, thanks for the recipe tip on epicurious, but when I visited it, it happily proclaimed that it had 383 ice cream recipes! holy guacamole, that's just a tad overwhelming for this ice cream novice . . . but an ice cream with ricotta sounds divine. I'll stay tuned.

bjt
    "eating is an agricultural act" wendell berry
  • Post #34 - July 24th, 2006, 9:37 pm
    Post #34 - July 24th, 2006, 9:37 pm Post #34 - July 24th, 2006, 9:37 pm
    I happen to have the lemon cheesecake recipe in hand -- I'll post my adaptation in Shopping & Cooking tonight.

Edit: You can find it here.
  • Post #35 - July 18th, 2017, 9:09 am
    Post #35 - July 18th, 2017, 9:09 am Post #35 - July 18th, 2017, 9:09 am
    Forumites!
    Any recent wisdom on the latest technologies in home ice cream makers? Cuisinart vs Breville, electric vs no, compressor or not?
    Would appreciate recommendations of specific machines as we need a new one. Thanks!
  • Post #36 - July 18th, 2017, 10:10 am
    Post #36 - July 18th, 2017, 10:10 am Post #36 - July 18th, 2017, 10:10 am
    We have one with a compressor. There's no room in the freezer to pre-freeze a cannister.
  • Post #37 - July 18th, 2017, 10:26 am
    Post #37 - July 18th, 2017, 10:26 am Post #37 - July 18th, 2017, 10:26 am
    IMG_6413.JPG
    I have the double bowl cuisinart. It was a wedding gift. I have had it for almost 16 years. I have a stand alone freezer. The bowls live there.

I made Claudia Fleming's Black Pepper ice cream from her book The Last Course on Sunday for the dessert exchange.

How often will you use it? Do you have a Kitchen Aid? There is an ice cream attachment for it I understand.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #38 - July 18th, 2017, 11:47 am
    Post #38 - July 18th, 2017, 11:47 am Post #38 - July 18th, 2017, 11:47 am
    annak wrote:Forumites!
    Any recent wisdom on the latest technologies in home ice cream makers? Cuisinart vs Breville, electric vs no, compressor or not?
    Would appreciate recommendations of specific machines as we need a new one. Thanks!

pairs4life wrote: ... Do you have a Kitchen Aid? There is an ice cream attachment for it I understand.

The KitchenAid attachment is noted as a great option for those who own a KitchenAid stand mixer in a recently updated comprehensive review of ice cream makers at TheSweethome.com

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-ice-cream-maker/

They do mention it makes ice cream that's fluffier, with high overrun.

--
    edc
  • Post #39 - July 19th, 2017, 4:07 pm
    Post #39 - July 19th, 2017, 4:07 pm Post #39 - July 19th, 2017, 4:07 pm
    About a year ago, I transitioned from a Cuisinart ice cream maker where you freeze the bowl to a Whynter ice cream maker with a built-in compressor. I love the Whynter (although it's only a year old). Freezer space is always an issue for me so I don't need to worry if I forgot to freeze the bowl, and the unit seems to work very well. I've made several batches of gelato already this summer.
  • Post #40 - July 16th, 2018, 10:11 pm
    Post #40 - July 16th, 2018, 10:11 pm Post #40 - July 16th, 2018, 10:11 pm
    Hi,

Over the weekend, I was editing the podcast of Dana Cree's program for Culinary Historians: Big Scoop! Ice Cream Maven Gives Chilling Tale.

I learned a lot about the science of ice cream. Now I want to get her book and get an ice cream churn.

I had an Italian compressor ice cream maker for many years. I got rid of it last year with few regrets. It was heavy, took up a lot of space and needed a repair costing anywhere from $40 (DIY) or $150 (shipping and they fixed it). I got my $10 worth out of it long ago.

Dana Cree favored two churns for making ice cream at home: Cuisinart and Kitchen-Aid attachment for the mixer. Both freeze-the-bowl types had thick insulated bowls and well designed dashers (paddle) to scrap ice cream off the edges. The Kitchen-Aid attachment had one feature no other home ice cream makers had: the ability to adjust the dasher speed.

The cost of the Kitchen Aid ice cream making attachment and a Cuisinart with electric turn are roughly in the same range. As much as I like the idea to spontaneously make ice cream. It was clear from Dana's approach, a much better product can be achieved by letting the ice cream slurry rest.

If I did buy a Kitchen Aid, the canister would live in the freezer. It's two-quart capacity, which is fine for a single batch.

Does anyone have the Kitchen Aid ice cream maker? If you had to do it over again, would you stick with KA or get a Cuisinart?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #41 - July 17th, 2018, 4:44 pm
    Post #41 - July 17th, 2018, 4:44 pm Post #41 - July 17th, 2018, 4:44 pm
    I got a Kitchen Aid mixer as a wedding present. Never been a big baker; I've probably used it for grinding meat more than anything else. I've been saving ice cream recipes for a few summers now for when I get a Kitchen Aid ice cream mixing bowl some day. They don't cost much so I'm not sure why I've dragged my feet --- they only cost, what, 60, 70 bucks? -- except that "ice cream maker" never seems high enough up on the budget priority list.

I think for someone who already has a KA, the ice cream mixing bowl makes more sense than buying a separate ice cream maker. Whether or not it's the best buy for someone who doesn't already have a KA, I don't know. At least it requires no extra storage space in the kitchen, assuming you'd have to store the bowl in the freezer for either the KA or any other ice cream maker. And unlike the KA, another ice cream maker wouldn't be a multipurpose appliance. A few months ago, it didn't look to me like the soon-to-be-closing Sears nearby was willing to discount its KA mixers yet, but that may have changed.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #42 - December 10th, 2020, 11:46 pm
    Post #42 - December 10th, 2020, 11:46 pm Post #42 - December 10th, 2020, 11:46 pm
    Hi,

I finally ordered the KA ice cream maker insert, which will be used with my circa 1979 KitchenAid five-quart mixer.

I found multiple reviews advising this was suitable for any KitchenAid mixer circa 1990 or later. This information was echoed on reviews as recent as Wirecutter as well as from Ladies Home Journal circa 2012. Yet on KitchenAid's website and ice cream maker insert warranty, there was zero mention of this insert suitable for 1990 or later models.

I spent an hour waiting for a KitchenAid representative to review this issue, which did not get very far. Their computer system was slow as molasses. When nothing was found cautioning or restricting my using my mixer, I got off the phone.

I did find on Amazon someone who had the same query. A few people with older KA affirmed they owned this insert and had zero problems using it.

Studying the instruction manual, I did find one detail which might be the reason for suggesting people not use an older KA: my KA does not have a stir mode. I checked the speed at first position of my mixer, it was slower than my old *Gelato ice cream maker. I am convinced I can make this work.

Thrilled to contemplate making ice cream again.

Regards,
    Cathy2

* I liked the Gelato with a built-in compressor, though it needed a gear repair costing $150 if I shipped it to them. The gear was $40, if I was willing to fix it myself.
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more