LTH Home

Where can I find salt caramels in Chicago?

Where can I find salt caramels in Chicago?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - May 19th, 2009, 10:03 am
    Post #61 - May 19th, 2009, 10:03 am Post #61 - May 19th, 2009, 10:03 am
    leek wrote:I tried ones from Katherine Anne and they were good - chocolate covered.

http://www.katherine-anne.com/

They are made here in Chicago.

Due to many requests for the Fleur de Sel Caramels, we'll be having them at the Daley Plaza Farmer's Market every Thursday from now on. I'll be there this week, so please stop in and check 'em out. We'll also be at the Randolph St Market this weekend.
    Katherine

Everyone has a price: mine is chocolate.
  • Post #62 - May 19th, 2009, 10:40 am
    Post #62 - May 19th, 2009, 10:40 am Post #62 - May 19th, 2009, 10:40 am
    I got both the fleur de sel and walnut caramels from Katherine Anne's stand at the Daley plaza last Thursday. My wife loved both (I wasn't allowed near them). But then again, chocolate, caramel, salt and walnuts are my wife's four basic food groups.

Jonah
  • Post #63 - May 19th, 2009, 3:25 pm
    Post #63 - May 19th, 2009, 3:25 pm Post #63 - May 19th, 2009, 3:25 pm
    I "scored" some of the Das salt caramels at Binny's a week or so ago, in two varieties--classic/regular whatever and ginger/pistachio. They are soft, like I wanted, so thanks for the tip on those. And I like 'em--with a preference for the classic/regular.

Immediately upon being popped into my mouth, they brought back a fifty-year old Proustian sense memory of Fralinger's and James' salt water taffy from Atlantic City. And the reason can only be--salt! (Duh.) Salt water taffy...salt caramels...hmmm, what's the common theme?

The reason this no-brainer took me by surprise was that back in my youth, I never thought about salt water taffy being made with salt. Cynical me (even then), I just figured they called it that because it was the taffy that came from the boardwalk, and the boardwalk was by the sea, and the sea contained salt water. Well, now I know.

If I find myself in Daley Plaza this summer on a Thursday, I will definitely seek out Katherine Anne's. (Are they soft, like Das?)
  • Post #64 - May 19th, 2009, 3:40 pm
    Post #64 - May 19th, 2009, 3:40 pm Post #64 - May 19th, 2009, 3:40 pm
    They're actually a little bit softer than Das Caramelini. I like to say that I make them just hard enough to keep their shape in the wrapper. They also have a bit shorter shelf life due to no preservatives, so they stay soft for 4-6 weeks.
    Katherine

Everyone has a price: mine is chocolate.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more