LTH Home

Baylor's Melon Market (with photos)

Baylor's Melon Market (with photos)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 5
  • Post #31 - July 7th, 2007, 6:05 pm
    Post #31 - July 7th, 2007, 6:05 pm Post #31 - July 7th, 2007, 6:05 pm
    I just picked a melon up on 159th in Western (Dixie Highway). It looks like the same bus, and while I did not ask the guy if he was with Baylor's, it looks quite similar....and he sold peanuts as well. Nonetheless, the watermelon is awesome.

Don't know if that bus is closer than Baylor's, but it might be worth a checking out.
  • Post #32 - July 23rd, 2007, 3:40 pm
    Post #32 - July 23rd, 2007, 3:40 pm Post #32 - July 23rd, 2007, 3:40 pm
    I needed a Baylor's watermelon today, so after telephone consultation with Cathy2 and ReneG, who both claimed some knowledge of the new "mystery" location of the Baylor's watermelon bus up-thread, they both were, "pretty sure" that 95th and Colfax was the location mentioned at the Baylor's mother ship for the bus. Seeing as how ReneG has the memory of the proverbial elephant and that Baylor's sells peanuts in addition to their fabulous melons, it was off to 95th and Colfax for me.

When I arrived at 95th and Colfax, the bus wasn't there, but the Baylor's 18-wheeler was prominently parked in a vacant lot on the southwest corner of the intersection.

Baylor's Semi-truck 'O Melons

The real good news was that they were selling melons out of the back of the truck (or is a truck that size called a ship?).

Baylor's Melons 4 Sale

As you might be able to see from the pictures, the semi is nearly empty of its bounty of melons and the guy working the truck told me that they were getting ready to go back down south for another load, so the truck might be leaving soon for a few days. Other than that, the semi is always at this corner.

He also told me that the new location of the bus is 159th and Dixie Hwy, as wiz561 mentioned. That means that there are now three locations in the Chicago area to get your Baylor melons, the main store at 101st & Halsted, the Semi-truck at 95th and Colfax and the Melon Bus at 159th and Dixie Hwy.

Seeing that it's coming up to the end of July, it's prime melon season in Mississippi, so I'm guessing that the next load of Baylor melons should be the best of the year. Don't miss out!.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #33 - July 23rd, 2007, 9:08 pm
    Post #33 - July 23rd, 2007, 9:08 pm Post #33 - July 23rd, 2007, 9:08 pm
    stevez wrote:Seeing that it's coming up to the end of July, it's prime melon season in Mississippi, so I'm guessing that the next load of Baylor melons should be the best of the year. Don't miss out!.

Steve,

Having just had the pleasure of both your company and, more importantly ;), the Baylor Melon in question, I really can't see how a watermelon can get much better, but I'm willing to try.

Baylor Melon (7.23.07)

I often eat watermelon with chili, lime and sea salt though after one piece in that fashion, I realized it was not enhancing, but masking the incredible flavor of the Baylor Melon.

Baylor Melon

I went straight melon for the remainder, which I'm guessing was close to a 1/4 of a melon.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #34 - August 12th, 2008, 8:40 am
    Post #34 - August 12th, 2008, 8:40 am Post #34 - August 12th, 2008, 8:40 am
    I was hoping to go there this Saturday morning. Anyone been there lately? Thanks!
  • Post #35 - August 12th, 2008, 8:44 am
    Post #35 - August 12th, 2008, 8:44 am Post #35 - August 12th, 2008, 8:44 am
    Baylor Watermelons is located at 101st & Halsted. They also have a truck that appears a various locations on the south east side. The most recent sighting I heard about from Cathy2 was somewhere on 95th street, but the Halsted location is where I usually go. It's a permanent installation.

Baylor’s Melon Market
    10100 S Halsted St
    (a few blocks south of the I-57 Halsted exit)
    Chicago
    No phone
    Open 7 days, 8:30am-9pm
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #36 - August 13th, 2008, 1:44 pm
    Post #36 - August 13th, 2008, 1:44 pm Post #36 - August 13th, 2008, 1:44 pm
    Thanks, Steve. I was wondering the very same thing. My cravings were bad enough that I bought a melon at my local grocery store. All it did was make me mad that I hadn't had my Baylor's melon yet this summer.
  • Post #37 - August 13th, 2008, 8:18 pm
    Post #37 - August 13th, 2008, 8:18 pm Post #37 - August 13th, 2008, 8:18 pm
    Does Baylor sell smaller pieces or do you have to buy the whole melon? Thanks.
  • Post #38 - August 13th, 2008, 10:09 pm
    Post #38 - August 13th, 2008, 10:09 pm Post #38 - August 13th, 2008, 10:09 pm
    You buy the whole melon. You won't regret it.
  • Post #39 - August 13th, 2008, 11:27 pm
    Post #39 - August 13th, 2008, 11:27 pm Post #39 - August 13th, 2008, 11:27 pm
    Ann Fisher wrote:You buy the whole melon. You won't regret it.

Yes, whole melon, you will not regret.

I am eating a birthday Baylor melon from Cathy2 as I type, truly a wondrous melon.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #40 - August 14th, 2008, 12:49 am
    Post #40 - August 14th, 2008, 12:49 am Post #40 - August 14th, 2008, 12:49 am
    G Wiv wrote:I am eating a birthday Baylor melon from Cathy2 as I type, truly a wondrous melon.

I feel very sorry for your keyboard.
  • Post #41 - August 14th, 2008, 7:25 am
    Post #41 - August 14th, 2008, 7:25 am Post #41 - August 14th, 2008, 7:25 am
    Hi,

I went to their 95th and Colfax location, which is a mile or so due west of Calumet Fisheries. I have a card, which I cannot locate presently, with all their permanent locations. The guy advised there are more, though the others are more sporadic.

If you do go to Baylor's at 95th & Colfax and hit Calumet Fisheries, then there is a fleeting chance to take in another interesting site. Proceeding east over the bridge by Calumet Fisheries, then pull the car over just before the next bridge. There is a scrap metal reprocessing company with an interesting site in the far corner along the river: two Jay's Potato Chip delivery trucks stacked and ready to be compressed and ground.

I got a nice picture with the trucks in the background and ground metal flying onto a mound last Saturday. My memory card won't let me download it. Went back with ReneG on Tuesday morning to capture this, though the sun wasn't in the best position. I have higher hopes of getting his image than mine presently.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #42 - September 9th, 2008, 4:28 pm
    Post #42 - September 9th, 2008, 4:28 pm Post #42 - September 9th, 2008, 4:28 pm
    Thinking of going back for another one. At this point, are they still a) available; b) worth the drive?
  • Post #43 - September 9th, 2008, 4:44 pm
    Post #43 - September 9th, 2008, 4:44 pm Post #43 - September 9th, 2008, 4:44 pm
    cilantro wrote:Thinking of going back for another one. At this point, are they still a) available; b) worth the drive?

I was there last Thursday to pick up melons for the Picnic. They told me they would be open for at least another 2 - 3 weeks. It's definitely worth the drive to the Halsted mother ship; especially if you combine the trip with a visit to D's Irie Kitchen.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #44 - September 17th, 2008, 12:10 am
    Post #44 - September 17th, 2008, 12:10 am Post #44 - September 17th, 2008, 12:10 am
    Thanks, Steve. They are indeed still available and still fantastic.

The market will be closed after this weekend, though, so you'd better hurry up if you still want to snag a melon. The current stock is being sold off at reduced prices.

D's Irie Kitchen was excellent as well. I'd give a slight edge to the catfish over the chicken, but both were the best jerk I've had around these parts. Tasty sides, too.
  • Post #45 - May 2nd, 2009, 5:29 pm
    Post #45 - May 2nd, 2009, 5:29 pm Post #45 - May 2nd, 2009, 5:29 pm
    Has anybody been by here lately? Just wondering if there is any melon action happening yet.
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
  • Post #46 - June 9th, 2009, 9:08 pm
    Post #46 - June 9th, 2009, 9:08 pm Post #46 - June 9th, 2009, 9:08 pm
    Has anyone been by Baylor's yet? They should be operational by now, but with no phone, who knows.... I scored a really great watermelon yesterday from the woman that sells them from a truck that is usually parked on the north side of Cermak Rd., just east of Cicero Ave.
  • Post #47 - June 10th, 2009, 8:55 pm
    Post #47 - June 10th, 2009, 8:55 pm Post #47 - June 10th, 2009, 8:55 pm
    I just finished my first hunk of Baylor's watermelon. It was really nice to travel for a huge dose of healthy food. It is so good. I asked them for the sweetest. I told them I did not care if it had seeds or not. It was chock full of mature seeds.

It was 10 bucks but huge. Hey, I usually spend $5.99 for a small cut container from Whole Paycheck so this was a bargain.

I filled 2- 6 cup containers and 1- 3 cup container with watermelon. Oh yeah the portie insisted that she have some, so while I cut, she sat looking with her big brown eyes. Yes, she had a few hunks and is content.

I will be back no later than next week for another one. This was definitely worth the trip. If I can get the car for the weekend then maybe an order of apple fritters from Old Fashioned Donuts as well as another melon.

Finally, I got 1 bag of peanuts which DH promptly tore into. I am not a lover of roasted peanuts ( I prefer my peanuts boiled) but these were sweet. I am already thinking about grabbing a few bags for peanut butter.

I have a full stomach of healthy food that was better than ice cream, cookies, cake, or pie tonight.
    Last edited by pairs4life on August 16th, 2009, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #48 - June 10th, 2009, 11:00 pm
    Post #48 - June 10th, 2009, 11:00 pm Post #48 - June 10th, 2009, 11:00 pm
    I am an intrepid city traveler, but without a car, this trip seems a bit daunting, not to mention difficult to navigate carrying a huge melon on public trans.

I am having a 4th of July party and would LOVE to have a melon (or two) from here. If anyone has any plans on going down there on the weekend or any weekday prior to the fourth, I'd happily pay for gas if you'd take me. PM me if you are willing, able and interested. I'd be happy to make it a multi-purpose trip and try some food in the area, too.
  • Post #49 - June 15th, 2009, 8:09 am
    Post #49 - June 15th, 2009, 8:09 am Post #49 - June 15th, 2009, 8:09 am
    For Father's Day, I am smoking a couple briskets and thought that the Baylor Watermelon would be a great thing to go along with it. I am making the trck from Naperville to Excel Corned Beef and thought I would take a detour to 10100 S Halsted to pick up a couple of melons.

Can anyone confirm that they are currently open? I saww their hours, but wanted to make certain their season has started before I make the trek.

Thanks,

KevinT
  • Post #50 - June 15th, 2009, 10:53 am
    Post #50 - June 15th, 2009, 10:53 am Post #50 - June 15th, 2009, 10:53 am
    KevinT wrote:Can anyone confirm that they are currently open? I saww their hours, but wanted to make certain their season has started before I make the trek.

Thanks,

KevinT

People have bought melons, so they are open. Whether they are open when you go is something you will have to tell us.
  • Post #51 - August 2nd, 2009, 5:55 pm
    Post #51 - August 2nd, 2009, 5:55 pm Post #51 - August 2nd, 2009, 5:55 pm
    Hi,

Today I was heading north on US-41 in Highland Park, when I noticed a watermelon truck in front of the closed Highland House. There were watermelon slices on the curb as well as on the edges of the truck. It reminded me of Baylor's presentations at other outdoor venues.

On the way home, I stopped by for a quick visit. On the truck's flatbed I saw a bag of peanuts, another Baylor customary product. When the salesman walked over, I asked, "Are you related to Baylor's Watermelons?" "This is Baylor Watermelons." "Where are they from this week?" "Georgia."

I was absolutely thrilled to learn they plan to be at the corner of US-41 and IL-22 on weekends. I suggested they put up a Baylor sign, because it does have some name recognition.

I cannot believe my luck!

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #52 - August 2nd, 2009, 6:00 pm
    Post #52 - August 2nd, 2009, 6:00 pm Post #52 - August 2nd, 2009, 6:00 pm
    G Wiv brought a Baylor melon to my house yesterday and it was fantastic -- sweet, aromatic, grassy and almost herbal. A very satisifying melon. I always forget how distinctive they are and knowing that they'll now have a truck just minutes from my house is a great thing.

Thanks, Cathy, for the news.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #53 - August 2nd, 2009, 6:41 pm
    Post #53 - August 2nd, 2009, 6:41 pm Post #53 - August 2nd, 2009, 6:41 pm
    I got a watermelon from our local farmers market this weekend. Before I had a Baylor's, I would have been more than happy with the quality. After having had Baylor's, it pales by comparison. Lucky you to have them so close to you.
  • Post #54 - August 2nd, 2009, 6:43 pm
    Post #54 - August 2nd, 2009, 6:43 pm Post #54 - August 2nd, 2009, 6:43 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:G Wiv brought a Baylor melon to my house yesterday and it was fantastic -- sweet, aromatic, grassy and almost herbal. A very satisifying melon. I always forget how distinctive they are and knowing that they'll now have a truck just minutes from my house is a great thing.

Thanks, Cathy, for the news.

=R=

6 on the 1 hand & half a dozen on the other for the kid here. That's great news that you will have a Baylor truck so close on the weekends.

I just cut mine up so that I can put it in the fridge. I don't trust any other melons right now so I have to trek to get it but trek I do. I'm sure I will be back out there this week.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #55 - August 2nd, 2009, 8:02 pm
    Post #55 - August 2nd, 2009, 8:02 pm Post #55 - August 2nd, 2009, 8:02 pm
    Hi,

I simply hope they get good enough business at this location to be there reliably into the future.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #56 - August 2nd, 2009, 9:35 pm
    Post #56 - August 2nd, 2009, 9:35 pm Post #56 - August 2nd, 2009, 9:35 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:On the way home, I stopped by for a quick visit. On the truck's flatbed I saw a bag of peanuts, another Baylor customary product. When the salesman walked over, I asked, "Are you related to Baylor's Watermelons?" "This is Baylor Watermelons." "Where are they from this week?" "Georgia."

Aren't Baylor melons traditionally from Mississippi? I wonder if the Georgia melons will have the same distinctive flavor profile.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #57 - August 2nd, 2009, 9:57 pm
    Post #57 - August 2nd, 2009, 9:57 pm Post #57 - August 2nd, 2009, 9:57 pm
    stevez wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:On the way home, I stopped by for a quick visit. On the truck's flatbed I saw a bag of peanuts, another Baylor customary product. When the salesman walked over, I asked, "Are you related to Baylor's Watermelons?" "This is Baylor Watermelons." "Where are they from this week?" "Georgia."

Aren't Baylor melons traditionally from Mississippi? I wonder if the Georgia melons will have the same distinctive flavor profile.

I talked to them last year to learn they buy watermelons early in the season from Florida. Their origins of their watermelons move progressively north during the season.

I think they have a good handle on sources, selection and transportation, which so far has given us exceptional watermelons.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #58 - August 2nd, 2009, 10:02 pm
    Post #58 - August 2nd, 2009, 10:02 pm Post #58 - August 2nd, 2009, 10:02 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:I simply hope they get good enough business at this location to be there reliably into the future.

Did you buy a melon?
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #59 - August 2nd, 2009, 10:24 pm
    Post #59 - August 2nd, 2009, 10:24 pm Post #59 - August 2nd, 2009, 10:24 pm
    HI,

No. I had just come back from visiting farms in north lake county. I already had two melons in the car: watermelon and a large muskmelon.

I did get some peanuts.

I told Joshua I am returning next week.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #60 - August 4th, 2009, 5:57 am
    Post #60 - August 4th, 2009, 5:57 am Post #60 - August 4th, 2009, 5:57 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:G Wiv brought a Baylor melon to my house yesterday and it was fantastic -- sweet, aromatic, grassy and almost herbal. A very satisifying melon.

For anyone with even a moderate fondness for watermelon a trip to Baylor is an absolute must.

Baylor 8.1.09

Keith Baylor

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat