LTH Home

best corn zipper?

best corn zipper?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • best corn zipper?

Post #1 - June 6th, 2019, 10:43 am
    Post #1 - June 6th, 2019, 10:43 am Post #1 - June 6th, 2019, 10:43 am
    does anyone have an opinion that might help me choose among Kuhn Rikon, OXO, Williams Sonoma, etc when looking for an effective corn zipper? (I know a big chef's knife also works but looking for a cleaner tool)
  • Post #2 - June 6th, 2019, 11:31 am
    Post #2 - June 6th, 2019, 11:31 am Post #2 - June 6th, 2019, 11:31 am
    I'd get this one from Kuhn Rikon. It's pretty easy to use and does a few rows at a time.
  • Post #3 - June 6th, 2019, 11:08 pm
    Post #3 - June 6th, 2019, 11:08 pm Post #3 - June 6th, 2019, 11:08 pm
    annak wrote:does anyone have an opinion that might help me choose among Kuhn Rikon, OXO, Williams Sonoma, etc when looking for an effective corn zipper? (I know a big chef's knife also works but looking for a cleaner tool)

I, too, am looking forward to recommendations for an effective corn zipper (I never heard that term before, but I like it). I probably have fewer kitchen gadgets than almost any frequent cook, but during peak corn season I've found myself wondering about non-knife options. If kernel containment is the major concern, the Bundt pan trick always seemed like a clever solution. But I don't have a Bundt pan and don't want one.

tcdup wrote:I'd get this one from Kuhn Rikon. It's pretty easy to use and does a few rows at a time.

Such firsthand recommendations count for a lot. I don't know why this sort of thing bothers me so much, but the corny (sorry!) handle is almost enough to make me pass on that zipper. I guess it could be a useful reminder to those with a drawerful of rarely-used unitaskers, so maybe it's not so bad after all.

Looking at the Kuhn Rikon website under Corn Tools, I see they also sell the Original Corn Zipper, described as a "happy little tool." Indeed, if you look at it handle-down, it appears to be smiling. Don't ask me why, but I find that totally acceptable. Functionally, it seems like the OCZ might have some advantages. Though it only strips a couple rows at a time, I wouldn't be surprised if it did so more cleanly and completely, assuming the blade is properly positioned between rows to begin with. Also, the wide body of the tool might prevent any loose kernels from flying about.

I've long thought OXO is tough to beat for well-designed gadgets at a reasonable price. I've never used any of their corn tools though. I see they make three: corn peeler, corn prep peeler, and corn stripper. Going only by the pictures, I'm somewhat partial to the corn peeler, with its curved plastic housing that ought to protect fingers and blade during use, and also might help with kernel containment. The corn prep peeler looks good too. I'm skeptical of the overly-complex corn stripper.

As an aside, let me point out a fascinating article about OXO: The Untold Story of the Vegetable Peeler that Changed the World. I enjoy reading about industrial design and had previously wondered about OXO – how they came seemingly out of nowhere to quickly dominate the world of kitchen gadgets. Not surprisingly, there's an interesting story behind the company. I'd been looking for an excuse to recommend that excellent article.

If you look at the range of available corn strippers, you'll soon realize there are many radically different designs. That's often a tip-off there are problems with all; if one design was clearly superior, it would likely get copied repeatedly with only minor changes.

These gadgets are cheap enough it might not be unreasonable to order a few and test them firsthand, passing on the least favorites to corn-loving friends. Who knows? If someone were to review them all maybe they could become the Nick Shabazz of corn tools.
  • Post #4 - June 7th, 2019, 6:16 am
    Post #4 - June 7th, 2019, 6:16 am Post #4 - June 7th, 2019, 6:16 am
    Rene! This is a thorough study that warms my scholar's heart. I too am turned off by the corny representationalism of the plastic Kuhn. One other thing to note is the difference in the end result of the metal corn zipper and the OXO peeler (as visible in the pictures of the cobs) - the zipper seems to pick whole kernels off the cob while the peeler more mimics a knife, slicing the kernels near the cob. I think I'm going to get the metal Kuhn and I will report back. 'Tis the season of corn pie, corn salad, corn pasta!
  • Post #5 - June 7th, 2019, 8:29 am
    Post #5 - June 7th, 2019, 8:29 am Post #5 - June 7th, 2019, 8:29 am
    Rene G wrote:But I don't have a Bundt pan and don't want one.

You don't need a bundt pan, just invert a small flat-bottomed bowl inside a larger bowl. Instant bundt simulation.
  • Post #6 - August 20th, 2019, 12:26 pm
    Post #6 - August 20th, 2019, 12:26 pm Post #6 - August 20th, 2019, 12:26 pm
    Take It All Off: Are Corn Strippers Worth It? from SeriousEats.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #7 - August 20th, 2019, 3:15 pm
    Post #7 - August 20th, 2019, 3:15 pm Post #7 - August 20th, 2019, 3:15 pm
    We frequently strip fresh corn off the ear and saute in a cast iron pan with butter or Smart Balance and EVOO and it's awesome. We have so many different kitchen gadgets, we just use a chef's knife.
  • Post #8 - August 20th, 2019, 3:35 pm
    Post #8 - August 20th, 2019, 3:35 pm Post #8 - August 20th, 2019, 3:35 pm
    Here's what I use. Works very well . . . :D

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #9 - August 20th, 2019, 3:40 pm
    Post #9 - August 20th, 2019, 3:40 pm Post #9 - August 20th, 2019, 3:40 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Here's what I use. Works very well . . . :D
    You just love to show that beautiful hunk of steel. Oops, did I leave my zipper open, again? :)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more