LTH Home

SOS Vintage jello salad

SOS Vintage jello salad
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • SOS Vintage jello salad

Post #1 - December 17th, 2018, 9:37 pm
    Post #1 - December 17th, 2018, 9:37 pm Post #1 - December 17th, 2018, 9:37 pm
    We’re waxing nostalgic for Mrs. Chicago Jim’s mom’s three layer jello salad.

There was a red layer and green layer. That’s the easy part. The middle was some sort of cream cheese, nut and pineapple concoction. I find a million recipes for Ribbon Salad, but that has lemon jello and mini marshmallows.

The version we’re looking for was much more savory and nutty and cut the sweetness of the other layers.

Any ideas?
  • Post #2 - December 18th, 2018, 3:08 am
    Post #2 - December 18th, 2018, 3:08 am Post #2 - December 18th, 2018, 3:08 am
    HI,

I may have an idea for the middle.

The Family Heirloom Recipe Contest at the Ohio State Fair, there was a competitor who had a Christmas Jello salad with these ingredients:

1 (3 oz) box of lemon jello
    1 20 oz can crushed pineapple
    1 c. whipping cream, whipped
    1 (8 oz) pkg. of Philadelphia Cream Cheese
    1 c. finely cut celery
    8 oz maraschino cherries, cut fine
    1 c. chopped pecans

You can find the recipe here, though you need to scroll down to find it.

Good luck!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #3 - December 18th, 2018, 9:33 am
    Post #3 - December 18th, 2018, 9:33 am Post #3 - December 18th, 2018, 9:33 am
    Cathy2 wrote:HI,

I may have an idea for the middle...

Whipped cream is not in the right spirit. Shouldn't it be Cool Whip?
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #4 - December 18th, 2018, 10:43 am
    Post #4 - December 18th, 2018, 10:43 am Post #4 - December 18th, 2018, 10:43 am
    Cathy2 wrote:HI,

I may have an idea for the middle.

The Family Heirloom Recipe Contest at the Ohio State Fair, there was a competitor who had a Christmas Jello salad with these ingredients:

1 (3 oz) box of lemon jello
    1 20 oz can crushed pineapple
    1 c. whipping cream, whipped
    1 (8 oz) pkg. of Philadelphia Cream Cheese
    1 c. finely cut celery
    8 oz maraschino cherries, cut fine
    1 c. chopped pecans

You can find the recipe here, though you need to scroll down to find it.

Good luck!

Regards,
    Cathy2

I think this is close enough to to a riff on. Cherries were not part of the original recipe as we remember it. The lemon jello was forgotten as it just sort of served to meld everything together but makes sense. I agree that Cool Whip would probably be more authentic, but I will not allow it in my house.

The recipe above is for a single salad - in mom's version what would be the middle layer between plain red and plain green Jello - so what is known as a Ribbon Salad, but with a less sweet middle.
  • Post #5 - December 18th, 2018, 10:47 am
    Post #5 - December 18th, 2018, 10:47 am Post #5 - December 18th, 2018, 10:47 am
    My mom would generally do straight up sour cream for her middle - nothing else added.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #6 - December 18th, 2018, 12:50 pm
    Post #6 - December 18th, 2018, 12:50 pm Post #6 - December 18th, 2018, 12:50 pm
    Ditto on the sour cream middle. Mom used to make a rasberry/strawberry jello crammed with frozen rasberries and nuts and the sour cream gave it the tartness.
    What disease did cured ham actually have?
  • Post #7 - December 18th, 2018, 2:05 pm
    Post #7 - December 18th, 2018, 2:05 pm Post #7 - December 18th, 2018, 2:05 pm
    We had one that the red/green jellos were made in baking pans, cut into small squares and then mixed with cool whip, crushed pineapple and some form of nut (can't remember the type).
  • Post #8 - December 18th, 2018, 2:08 pm
    Post #8 - December 18th, 2018, 2:08 pm Post #8 - December 18th, 2018, 2:08 pm
    my grandma made a version with lime jello and tuna as recently as 2012 or so but she's 100 so I hopefully won't have to deal with that nonsense again
  • Post #9 - December 18th, 2018, 2:44 pm
    Post #9 - December 18th, 2018, 2:44 pm Post #9 - December 18th, 2018, 2:44 pm
    AlekH wrote:my grandma made a version with lime jello and tuna as recently as 2012 or so but she's 100 so I hopefully won't have to deal with that nonsense again

This may be one of the funniest things I've read this year. Well done, Granny!!!!!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #10 - December 18th, 2018, 3:28 pm
    Post #10 - December 18th, 2018, 3:28 pm Post #10 - December 18th, 2018, 3:28 pm
    Hi,

Whipped cream is definitely more correct than Cool Whip, which came much later in 1966.

The cherries are the decoration:

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #11 - December 19th, 2018, 10:29 am
    Post #11 - December 19th, 2018, 10:29 am Post #11 - December 19th, 2018, 10:29 am
    AlekH wrote:my grandma made a version with lime jello and tuna as recently as 2012 or so but she's 100 so I hopefully won't have to deal with that nonsense again

Oh my goodness - we had this as an entree in my college's dining room, and it was so awful. I never realized it was something real people ate because they wanted to!
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #12 - December 19th, 2018, 11:03 am
    Post #12 - December 19th, 2018, 11:03 am Post #12 - December 19th, 2018, 11:03 am
    I'm not a big fan of jello but once made a cherry jello made with coke and cherry pie filling. Served with whipped cream. I think I put it in a trifle dish and must say it was better than I thought it would be.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #13 - December 19th, 2018, 11:45 am
    Post #13 - December 19th, 2018, 11:45 am Post #13 - December 19th, 2018, 11:45 am
    My mom made a really beautiful one with dark cherries, raspberries, and chopped pecans -- I think in raspberry Jello. More fruit than gelatin, so not intended as a budget dessert. I think she made aspic more often than Jello, but this was a show-stopper at dinner parties back in the day.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #14 - December 19th, 2018, 12:35 pm
    Post #14 - December 19th, 2018, 12:35 pm Post #14 - December 19th, 2018, 12:35 pm
    Cynthia wrote:My mom made a really beautiful one with dark cherries, raspberries, and chopped pecans -- I think in raspberry Jello. More fruit than gelatin, so not intended as a budget dessert. I think she made aspic more often than Jello, but this was a show-stopper at dinner parties back in the day.

Do you know how to make it? It sounds too wonderful to let it disappear.
    Cathy2

• Post #15 - December 19th, 2018, 6:59 pm
    Post #15 - December 19th, 2018, 6:59 pm Post #15 - December 19th, 2018, 6:59 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Cynthia wrote:My mom made a really beautiful one with dark cherries, raspberries, and chopped pecans -- I think in raspberry Jello. More fruit than gelatin, so not intended as a budget dessert. I think she made aspic more often than Jello, but this was a show-stopper at dinner parties back in the day.

Do you know how to make it? It sounds too wonderful to let it disappear.

I think I have the recipe somewhere, but I couldn't locate it easily today. I'll keep looking. Because it was lovely, and I do want to find it.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #16 - May 24th, 2021, 9:45 am
    Post #16 - May 24th, 2021, 9:45 am Post #16 - May 24th, 2021, 9:45 am
    Hi,

In my cupboard, I have perhaps 1.5 pounds of unflavored gelatin. I am not too keen on the flavors available in packaged gelatins.

Over the weekend, I bought some pineapple-orange-coconut juice. I thought this could be a good gelatin flavor along with some canned mandarin orange pieces mixed in.

My initial effort used a tablespoon of gelatin for two cups liquid with no added sugar. This was a very stiff gelatin and undersweet.

Last night I backed the gelatin to 2 teaspoons and added two tablespoons sugar, this morning the gelatin was pleasant to eat, even giggled a little and the added sugar helped it along.

Last week, I made a gelatin using orange juice. It was so darn puckery, I did not expect this. When I drank the same juice, it just seemed so much better.

I am hopeful about a bottle of blueberry pomegranate sitting on the shelf.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more