LTH Home

What to Do with Critters

What to Do with Critters
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • What to Do with Critters

Post #1 - October 11th, 2018, 1:55 pm
    Post #1 - October 11th, 2018, 1:55 pm Post #1 - October 11th, 2018, 1:55 pm
    I was at Fresh Thyme the other day and picked up some ground venison, antelope, boar and goat along with boar/mushroom/swiss and elk/cranberry/wild rice brats.

What recipes can you recommend that really showcase the ground meats? (Besides burgers and meatballs.)
    What toppings do you recommend for the brats, or would you use them in a recipe as well?

Thanks!

(A friend suggested "dead critter pie" and I immediately thought of nr706. :lol: )
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #2 - October 11th, 2018, 2:05 pm
    Post #2 - October 11th, 2018, 2:05 pm Post #2 - October 11th, 2018, 2:05 pm
    I still have frozen bits of critters from various LTH picnics; I may combine them into "dead critter pie" one of these days.

For your stuff, I'd think you'd want to concentrate on the unique flavors of the meats, without adding other stuff to adulterate the tastes. So sliders, burgers and meatballs would work well. Are all the meats ground? If not, maybe a tartare ... (probably not a great idea to make a tartare with pre-ground meat).

For the brats, maybe a mushroom/onion sauteé?
  • Post #3 - October 11th, 2018, 2:37 pm
    Post #3 - October 11th, 2018, 2:37 pm Post #3 - October 11th, 2018, 2:37 pm
    The non-brats are indeed ground.

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #4 - October 11th, 2018, 8:24 pm
    Post #4 - October 11th, 2018, 8:24 pm Post #4 - October 11th, 2018, 8:24 pm
    Nice haul! I'd probably try a wild boar ragu with pasta, and a goat curry. I have used ground venison, from very thoughtful friends who hunt, most successfully in chili and shepherd's pie. Burgers and meatloaf tended to be a bit dry since the meat is so lean, unless mixed with something fattier like beef or pork, which is probably not how you would highlight these proteins. I once bought ground camel at Mariano's and made a Middle Eastern-inspired meatball in pita, emphasis on once. Enjoy! (BTW, I almost didn't click on this thread because from the title I thought it was about roaches or rodents or other pests, not something good to eat. Glad I ventured in)
  • Post #5 - October 22nd, 2018, 10:47 am
    Post #5 - October 22nd, 2018, 10:47 am Post #5 - October 22nd, 2018, 10:47 am
    Aha! I just thought of one: kaddo bourani. Would this be just as tasty with venison/antelope vs goat?

Thanks!

I write stuff.
  • Post #6 - October 25th, 2018, 12:44 pm
    Post #6 - October 25th, 2018, 12:44 pm Post #6 - October 25th, 2018, 12:44 pm
    none. Don't do it...
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #7 - October 25th, 2018, 3:06 pm
    Post #7 - October 25th, 2018, 3:06 pm Post #7 - October 25th, 2018, 3:06 pm
    toria wrote:none. Don't do it...

Don't eat venison either?!

I write stuff.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more