LTH Home

Sri Lankan Egg Hoppers....Who knew?- but such a cool idea!

Sri Lankan Egg Hoppers....Who knew?- but such a cool idea!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Sri Lankan Egg Hoppers....Who knew?- but such a cool idea!

Post #1 - October 11th, 2018, 7:52 am
    Post #1 - October 11th, 2018, 7:52 am Post #1 - October 11th, 2018, 7:52 am
    Recently- I'd read about a dish prepared on the Streets of Colombo (....NO - not the TV Dick...the Capital of Sri Lanka, formerly called Ceylon) called Egg Hopper- a single sunny side-up egg, sitting inside an edible bowl.
    The edible "bowl"- is made from a Dosa-like batter, made with Coconut Milk, Rice Flour, Jaggery, and a fermented compound- sometimes as simple as yeast, and cooked in a very, small wok sorta pan over direct flame.
    Similar to the Soup-in-a-Hollowed-Out-Loaf-of-Bread concept....
    or an Ice Cream served in a Waffle Cone,
    the idea of eating the serving vessel, has always intrigued me, both from a Food-Event-Catering concept, to a neat way of eating-while-schmoozing-and-standing.
    ImageEgg Hopper- a Sri Lankan Street Food delight- I'd like to start making on my own- where can I find the right cooking pot? by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    Here's some more backstory to The Egg Hopper-
    https://www.lavenderandlovage.com/2016/05/sri-lankan-egg-hoppers-breakfast.html
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2bRPRSf]Image"Egg Hopper"- a Sri Lankan Street Food delight by R. Kramer, on Flickr

The original article I'd read about Egg Hopper's
    came from the lovely food blog- Tasting Table...which if you don't get "delivered" on your iPhone- I'd highly reccd. signing up for.
    https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/national/egg-hopper-sri-lankan-dish

Now- since we don't have any Sri Lankan Restaurants here in Chicago....
    I'll be forced to experiment at home- to get it right- but first-
    I need to source out a proper Egg Hopper Cooking Pot-

ImageEgg-Hoppers (I WANT ONE!-Please help!) > a Sri Lankan Street Food by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    the closest I found on Amazon was a very small Stainless Steel Wok with a Handle.

I may try asking Mr. Patel ("Uncle"- as we call him) on Devon Avenue...if he knows where I can buy one.... :?:

In the meanwhile- any other readers knowledgable about Egg Hoppers?
    Last edited by Hombre de Acero on October 13th, 2018, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #2 - October 13th, 2018, 10:38 am
    Post #2 - October 13th, 2018, 10:38 am Post #2 - October 13th, 2018, 10:38 am
    Zis what you need??

https://www.lankandelight.com/hopper-pan/

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #3 - October 13th, 2018, 3:13 pm
    Post #3 - October 13th, 2018, 3:13 pm Post #3 - October 13th, 2018, 3:13 pm
    Ideally-
    one handle-
    so as to be able to move the batter around more effectively
    to coat the inside of the pan
    to create the "bowl" to nest the egg in....
    ImageEgg-Hoppers (I WANT ONE!-Please help!) > a Sri Lankan Street Food by R. Kramer, on Flickr
  • Post #4 - October 15th, 2018, 4:18 pm
    Post #4 - October 15th, 2018, 4:18 pm Post #4 - October 15th, 2018, 4:18 pm
    The two-handled pans are quite standard; I have several of them. I'd be happy to loan you one to try out, if you want to come out to Oak Park and borrow one. :-) Depending on timing, I can maybe even demonstrate technique for you; it can be tricky getting the batter the right consistency, and learning how to swirl it properly in the pan.

This is my recipe; I have a few Sri Lankan cookbooks and keep a mostly-Sri Lankan cooking blog: http://serendibkitchen.com/2018/01/25/hoppers-appam/

Note -- if you're going to make hoppers, you really ought to have them with seeni sambol, so you might want to make that first!
  • Post #5 - October 16th, 2018, 7:03 am
    Post #5 - October 16th, 2018, 7:03 am Post #5 - October 16th, 2018, 7:03 am
    That is a MOST EXCELLENT offer,
    to which I've responded via a Private Message.

I really appreciate your generous offer to aid a
    curious cook to learn a new technique

I'll be sure to post what I learn!

Any other Sri Lankan Cooks lurking....with knowledge of Egg Hoppers-
    and how they are well made! ?
  • Post #6 - November 3rd, 2018, 11:21 am
    Post #6 - November 3rd, 2018, 11:21 am Post #6 - November 3rd, 2018, 11:21 am
    They do not have a long handle. This is a typical south indian dish too, served in Kerala. I have one of those pans. Its very tough to cook in them because the dough is very sticky and they stick easily. Recommend getting a non stick version. I don't see a non stick but you can buy them off ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Indian-7-Size- ... :rk:8:pf:0
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #7 - November 5th, 2018, 1:27 pm
    Post #7 - November 5th, 2018, 1:27 pm Post #7 - November 5th, 2018, 1:27 pm
    Hi Mary Anne!
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #8 - November 5th, 2018, 2:15 pm
    Post #8 - November 5th, 2018, 2:15 pm Post #8 - November 5th, 2018, 2:15 pm
    Hi!
  • Post #9 - November 5th, 2018, 2:37 pm
    Post #9 - November 5th, 2018, 2:37 pm Post #9 - November 5th, 2018, 2:37 pm
    Well....thanks to the wonderful world of lthforum-ites.....I now know much, much more about Egg Hoppers and many other things Sri Lanka-ian,
    thanks to celebrated Author/Professor and fellow-food-centric-kinda-Gal-
    Mary Anne Mohanraj.
    Image10:00am Saturday in OakPark- learning about Sri Lankan Culture,Cooking + Egg Hoppers w/Mary Anne Mohanraj / of Serendib Kitchen blog fame by R. Kramer, on Flickr

After setting a time and date to meet at Mary Anne's home in Oak Park- for a class in Egg Hoppers I also found a way to invite a few fellow Food-Lovers- Monica Eng- of WBEZ Curious City fame and Food Blogger renown- as well as visiting friend Niala Boodhoo- who happened to also know Mary Anne- (small world indeed)- before she set out to work in Champaign....for the Public Radio Station there.
    Here is, some of what transpired.....
    ImageLearning HOW-TO-MAKE-Egg-Hoppers, from a Sri Lankan Chef/Writer and lovely person. by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    Image10:00am Saturday in OakPark- learning about Sri Lankan Culture,Cooking + Egg Hoppers w/Mary Anne by R. Kramer, on Flickr

I learned that the batter can be made from a pre-packed mix-
    or made from Scratch.
    I learned that the best- is to let the mixture age/ferment for more than just a few hours for a more lacy-sided "Hopper" basket.
    I learned that the "Appam" batter- is also the name of the pan to cook them in.
    I learned that Appam- is also a Kerala term used throughout Tamil Nadu as well as Sri Lanka.
    I learned that - for me- a one handled pan would give a better feel for pan swirling- than the 2-handled pans Mary Anne uses in her home.
    I learned that many of the pans Mary Anne had sourced were Teflon- and that seems to be mostly what I found online as well.......
    I learned- that I LOVE CHICAGO and it's community of fellow foodies-
    and will now get a proper Egg Hopper pan- and practice-practice-practice.
    Image10:00am Saturday in OakPark- learning about Sri Lankan Culture,Cooking + Egg Hoppers w/Mary Anne by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    Brinjal Eggplant "pickle"- a wonderful jam like eggplant accompaniment to a Egg Hopper- and also a Quesadilla !

ImageEgg Hopper almost ready by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    and
    Imagean oops- a practice Egg Hopper being prepared by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    and
    ImageIt's called an "Egg Hopper"- a Sri Lankan "Dosa-style" Pancake- with a sunny-side up Egg cooked inside... by R. Kramer, on Flickr

FWIW- Mary Anne was not a participant in nth- but worked with someone who alerted her to a query about Sri Lankan food- and that caused Mary Anne to jump on to nth to help me in my Food Quest.
    I'm very indebted to her- and thank her for taking the time to invite us all to he home.
    ImageNiala , Seena & Mart Anne together by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    Namaste.
  • Post #10 - November 5th, 2018, 5:23 pm
    Post #10 - November 5th, 2018, 5:23 pm Post #10 - November 5th, 2018, 5:23 pm
    this is so great! i take only a tiny bit of credit for prodding Mary Anne to join LTH so she could see and enhance the hoppers thread!
  • Post #11 - November 5th, 2018, 5:59 pm
    Post #11 - November 5th, 2018, 5:59 pm Post #11 - November 5th, 2018, 5:59 pm
    annak wrote:this is so great! i take only a tiny bit of credit for prodding Mary Anne to join LTH so she could see and enhance the hoppers thread!

Take a LOTTA CREDIT!
    Mary Anne's a very cool person to "know"-
    and I'm so pleased that you took the initiative to cast her gaze to lthforum.
    Actually- I betcha-
    if there was an organized system- a whole "school"
    could be created for those with mad-skills in say......Gefilte Fish Making,
    or Smoke-'em-if-ya-got-em w /Gary Wivott,
    etc.
    Not saying its gotta be monetized on a grand scale- but
    there's
    a way we can all benefit- and make some $$$ too-
    from sharing the collective-knowledge
    possessed up-in-here.
  • Post #12 - November 10th, 2018, 10:12 am
    Post #12 - November 10th, 2018, 10:12 am Post #12 - November 10th, 2018, 10:12 am
    Randall, didn't we talk about this when you were here? We're actually working on a maker space project in Oak Park, applying for a big grant, etc. I don't know yet if it'll incorporate a commercial kitchen -- probably not. But there's still a lot of kitchen things that can be done on a counter + sink, such as preserving, knife skills, etc. If you want to be involved, drop me an e-mail and I'll loop you in.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more