• Post #2 - August 19th, 2018, 12:28 pm
    Post #2 - August 19th, 2018, 12:28 pm Post #2 - August 19th, 2018, 12:28 pm
    Why?
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #3 - August 19th, 2018, 1:54 pm
    Post #3 - August 19th, 2018, 1:54 pm Post #3 - August 19th, 2018, 1:54 pm
    It might be for the same reason I'm going to do it today: they were BOGO at Jewel. Well, that, and I'm making three other meals (for weeknight dinners) and prepping something to take for lunch during the week. So, the ribs are going to go into the pressure cooker with some Walkerswood Jerk Marinade (Spicy). Then finished on the grill after the application of some more jerk sauce, a little brown sugar and S&P.

:D :D
  • Post #4 - August 19th, 2018, 5:26 pm
    Post #4 - August 19th, 2018, 5:26 pm Post #4 - August 19th, 2018, 5:26 pm
    I wound up rubbing the rubs with a 3:1:1 mixture of brown sugar:salt:pepper and pressure cooking them with 1/4 c. walkerswood marinade and 1/4 cup Old Grand-Dad for 25 minutes and then releasing the pressure. One set got more BBQ sauce and the other got more jerk marinade before finishing on a hot grill - turning frequently.

Added some delicious steamed bicolor corn and some red-beans (RG francisco) I made as we went along. In the immortal words of one Dr. Karl Freed: "too much rigor leads to rigor mortis". This was a delicious meal, in spite of the "short cuts".

Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 6.21.10 PM.png ribs
  • Post #5 - August 19th, 2018, 9:54 pm
    Post #5 - August 19th, 2018, 9:54 pm Post #5 - August 19th, 2018, 9:54 pm
    walter wade wrote:ribs in pressure cooker then on grill.

While I'm reasonably confident Wally intent was not ironic I find it appropriate this was posted in Something to Drink as pressure cooker baby back ribs yield meat jello. Add vodka, Voila, Baby Back Jello Shots!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #6 - August 20th, 2018, 9:30 am
    Post #6 - August 20th, 2018, 9:30 am Post #6 - August 20th, 2018, 9:30 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    walter wade wrote:ribs in pressure cooker then on grill.

While I'm reasonably confident Wally intent was not ironic I find it appropriate this was posted in Something to Drink as pressure cooker baby back ribs yield meat jello. Add vodka, Voila, Baby Back Jello Shots!

LOL - we've moved this thread to Shopping & Cooking.

Thanks,

=R=
    for the Moderators
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #7 - August 20th, 2018, 11:25 am
    Post #7 - August 20th, 2018, 11:25 am Post #7 - August 20th, 2018, 11:25 am
    I buy my baby backs from Sunset Foods in the northern suburbs.
    For many years I have been using a 22" Weber kettle charcoal grill. I cook indirect. A basket of wood charcoal to maintain a temp of 275 -300 degrees.
    On the other side ribs with a moisture pan full of beer underneath the ribs . I use a dry rub and add yellow mustard and Lillies Q Barbeque Sauces and Rubs. " Gold South Carolina Mustard". Mustard courtesy of G. Wiv. Cook 2-3 hrs depending on temp wind. etc. Try for Low & Slow. Also from G. Wiv. No sauce until ribs off the grill.
    Been chewy & maybe tough.
    People who boil, pressure cook or slow cooker, then on the grill swear who tender their ribs are.
    Looking for some help.
    THX
    Wally Wade
  • Post #8 - August 20th, 2018, 1:40 pm
    Post #8 - August 20th, 2018, 1:40 pm Post #8 - August 20th, 2018, 1:40 pm
    walter wade wrote:Looking for some help.

WW,

Over the last few years I've answered your LTH board questions, LTH PM questions, email questions, gone around in circles with you any number of times. I keep suggesting you go through the complete 1-5 lessons in Low & Slow 1, which you say you own, and try to reinforce that, for my style of ribs, Baby back or otherwise, they are not meant to fall off the bone. Toothsome, clean bite-through, slight tug, not drip off the bone like melted chocolate ice cream on a hot summer day.

My technique does not use beer, does not have the water pan under the ribs and does not . . .

If you are looking to me for any type of guidance, here it is. If you like fall off the bone ribs then you should eat, enjoy, fall off the bone ribs. If you like the way they taste from a pressure cooker, then god bless, life is short, too short for me to keep going around in circles with you and too short for you not to have ribs the way you like.

As an additional data point I have also, over the course of a few years, PMed, emailed, interacted on the LTH discussion board with WW on a variety of cooking subjects in an attempt to be helpful.

Fondly,
    Gary Wiviott
    Author: Low & Slow 1 & 2
    http://www.LowSlowBBQ.com
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #9 - August 20th, 2018, 2:06 pm
    Post #9 - August 20th, 2018, 2:06 pm Post #9 - August 20th, 2018, 2:06 pm
    Thanks.
    I've learned to enjoy your yellow mustard on ribs.
    If experimenting try Lillie Q's Southern Mustard.
    I use both,
    I must go back to school for a refresher course.

Once again many thanks !!!!

Wally Wade
  • Post #10 - August 21st, 2018, 10:53 am
    Post #10 - August 21st, 2018, 10:53 am Post #10 - August 21st, 2018, 10:53 am
    I totally agree with the BBQ Master Gary that the best prepared rib has a slight chew to them. You shouldn't have to rip them from the bone but certainly shouldn't be mushy.

As for my second opinion on this subject, and by no means am I attempting to suck up, but the best rub I have found is Gary Wiviott's Barbecue Rub

The rub also works well with pork shoulders.

https://www.thespicehouse.com/gary-wivi ... rbecue-rub
  • Post #11 - August 21st, 2018, 11:23 am
    Post #11 - August 21st, 2018, 11:23 am Post #11 - August 21st, 2018, 11:23 am
    I agree with you're assessment.
    And you are doing a so-so job on "sucking up" I have no problem with your efforts.
    I go to the Spice House often. I'll check out his rub.
    His tip on yellow mustard is Superb.
    Thanks

Wally Wade
  • Post #12 - August 21st, 2018, 12:00 pm
    Post #12 - August 21st, 2018, 12:00 pm Post #12 - August 21st, 2018, 12:00 pm
    Beware the false dichotomy: it's not a black-or-white thing. Your choices are not simply smoking = toothsome versus any other method = jello.

It is just simply not true as a blanket statement that pressure cooking turns pork rib meat or any other type of meat to the texture of "meat jello" (although this certainly is achievable if desired, e.g., pot roast). Pressure cooking is not the same as boiling, and it's not the same as slow cooker (Crockpot) cooking. You control the texture achieved via the amount of pressure-cooking time and the method and timing of pressure release. There's bound to be some trial and error involved, but for an item such as baby back ribs, it shouldn't take a whole lot of trial and error to achieve the toothsome results you like.

Imagine what pressure cookers would do to eggs, for example, if all they were capable of was overcooking. And yet they do not.

As for flavor, it seems both logical and generally accepted that smoking produces superior results. I'd have thought that's where the battle would have been waged --- but then, no one here contended otherwise.
    Last edited by Katie on August 21st, 2018, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #13 - August 21st, 2018, 12:09 pm
    Post #13 - August 21st, 2018, 12:09 pm Post #13 - August 21st, 2018, 12:09 pm
    you can cook a filet mignon well done too. doesn't mean anyone should want to eat it.
  • Post #14 - August 21st, 2018, 12:44 pm
    Post #14 - August 21st, 2018, 12:44 pm Post #14 - August 21st, 2018, 12:44 pm
    Seems it's been a while since the last "stew 'n' grill" vs smoke topic has surfaced!
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #15 - August 21st, 2018, 1:32 pm
    Post #15 - August 21st, 2018, 1:32 pm Post #15 - August 21st, 2018, 1:32 pm
    Katie wrote:As for flavor, it seems both logical and generally accepted that smoking produces superior results. I'd have thought that's where the battle would have been waged --- but then, no one here contended otherwise.

In the words of Country music legend Kenny Rodgers
    You've got to know when to hold 'em
    Know when to fold 'em
    Know when to walk away
    And know when to run

As I said in my post, life is too short to keep going around in circles.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #16 - August 21st, 2018, 3:19 pm
    Post #16 - August 21st, 2018, 3:19 pm Post #16 - August 21st, 2018, 3:19 pm
    Clarence Beeks wrote:you can cook a filet mignon well done too. doesn't mean anyone should want to eat it.

I believe the correct quote would be "...doesn't mean that anyone ELSE should want to eat it", since the person who ordered/cooked it that way obviously does want to eat it that way.

Look, while I personally may not choose to eat a well done Filet, or boiled ribs, or un-smoked vs smoked whatever, it doesn't mean that someone who wants them that way or wants it in a way that differs from yourself or the "accepted norm" is wrong to eat it that way.

To each his own. No two persons tastes are the exact same. I know plenty of people who just do not like smoked anything. To them the taste is off-putting. They are more than happy with boiled/baked/grilled/BBQ Sauce slathered ribs, but the presence of any type of smoke flavor in them turns them off. Same with Brisket, Chicken, Pork, fish, etc.

There is no one single way that is "correct", every way else be damned, having your steak Rare makes it no more correct than medium or well-done.
  • Post #17 - August 21st, 2018, 4:16 pm
    Post #17 - August 21st, 2018, 4:16 pm Post #17 - August 21st, 2018, 4:16 pm
    thetrob wrote:
    Clarence Beeks wrote:you can cook a filet mignon well done too. doesn't mean anyone should want to eat it.

I believe the correct quote would be "...doesn't mean that anyone ELSE should want to eat it", since the person who ordered/cooked it that way obviously does want to eat it that way.

no, i meant that anyone with half a palate
  • Post #18 - August 21st, 2018, 4:19 pm
    Post #18 - August 21st, 2018, 4:19 pm Post #18 - August 21st, 2018, 4:19 pm
    JMc-SWsubs wrote:The rub also works well with pork shoulders.

and popcorn (although I don't smoke the popcorn, it's applied after popping in a Stir Crazy with EVOO)
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #19 - August 21st, 2018, 5:47 pm
    Post #19 - August 21st, 2018, 5:47 pm Post #19 - August 21st, 2018, 5:47 pm
    Gary,

I've always brewed up my own rubs, but, OTOH, have always hankered to try yours. So, in the midst of this thread, I pulled the trigger, went to Spice House and bought a bottle. I'm eager to try it! Will report back.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #20 - September 17th, 2018, 9:29 am
    Post #20 - September 17th, 2018, 9:29 am Post #20 - September 17th, 2018, 9:29 am
    No pressure cooker, no Instant Pot, no crock pot, no foil, no sauce. Lump charcoal, applewood, dry rub and time.

RibsLTH1.jpg Ribs & brats. Two major food groups. #homecooking #lowslowbbq
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events