LTH Home

America's Test Kitchen cookbook sale

America's Test Kitchen cookbook sale
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • America's Test Kitchen cookbook sale

Post #1 - July 23rd, 2018, 7:52 pm
    Post #1 - July 23rd, 2018, 7:52 pm Post #1 - July 23rd, 2018, 7:52 pm
    Hi- America's Test Kitchen is having a fantastic sale on cookbooks. I am not sure how long it is going to last.
  • Post #2 - July 23rd, 2018, 9:40 pm
    Post #2 - July 23rd, 2018, 9:40 pm Post #2 - July 23rd, 2018, 9:40 pm
    NFriday wrote:Hi- America's Test Kitchen is having a fantastic sale on cookbooks. I am not sure how long it is going to last.

Thanks for the reminder. I did get the heads up. I can't justify purchasing cookbooks right now. I have some signed copies that I purchased a year ago and did not even crack open for ideas until a couple of weeks ago. The ideas were great and led me down an amazing path but until I cook something out of these books I already have I should pass.

I do wish these books were hard spined but I do turn to them again and again from this publisher.-- YMMV
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #3 - October 21st, 2018, 7:24 pm
    Post #3 - October 21st, 2018, 7:24 pm Post #3 - October 21st, 2018, 7:24 pm
    I enjoy watching both the CI and ATK shows on WTTW on Saturday afternoons, even though I find a lot of the information dubious and the recipes geared toward the LCD. But every once in a while a recipe looks promising. So, I decided to plunk down ~$23 for the Kindle version of The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook 2001 - 2019, which is described as including every single recipe from the show through the 2018 season. Unfortunately, I have to say that so far I've made a few and none have been worth repeating.

Most recently, I tried their Arrabiata sauce recipe and it was pretty disappointing. I should have known better once I saw the inclusion of paprika because really, what self-respecting Italian recipe would include it? Nevertheless, I followed the ATK recipe to the letter and ended up with a mediocre outcome. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't anything I'd ever make again, either.

I've repeatedly improvised better sauces. I mean how hard is it to make a decent, spicy tomato sauce? As I ate it, I thought, this isn't too horrible for a meatless sauce but then I remembered, it wasn't even meatless. It includes anchovies. I didn't think the trade-off was worth it. I'm guessing this dish would have been at least 95% of what it was, even without the anchovies. Why bother making something that you can't serve to everyone unless it's good enough to justify it?

So often the recipes include seemingly-wacky steps, shortcuts that make no sense or ingredients that have absolutely no business being included. I wonder if this is because they are geared toward people who don't know any better. Maybe it's because they're intended for people who live in areas where authentic ingredients are just not available. Or maybe it's because, as I said to myself while I ate my stupid Arrabiata sauce, these people just don't get out much.

Pleasant, reasonably entertaining tv, nice-looking food but nothing with which a knowledgeable home cook or devoted eater needs to bother. I'm just glad I had the instinct to only buy the book rather than subscribe to their website. $20 a month for that is a true sucker play, especially when you think about how many cook books by knowledgeable, accomplished authors one could buy for $240/year.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #4 - October 22nd, 2018, 6:38 pm
    Post #4 - October 22nd, 2018, 6:38 pm Post #4 - October 22nd, 2018, 6:38 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I enjoy watching both the CI and ATK shows on WTTW on Saturday afternoons, even though I find a lot of the information dubious and the recipes geared toward the LCD. But every once in a while a recipe looks promising. So, I decided to plunk down ~$23 for the Kindle version of The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook 2001 - 2019, which is described as including every single recipe from the show through the 2018 season. Unfortunately, I have to say that so far I've made a few and none have been worth repeating.

So often the recipes include seemingly-wacky steps, shortcuts that make no sense or ingredients that have absolutely no business being included. I wonder if this is because they are geared toward people who don't know any better. Maybe it's because they're intended for people who live in areas where authentic ingredients are just not available.

=R=

Or maybe it's geared for the same people that watched QVC yesterday and shelled out $55.00 for a 3.2 lb bag of frozen pot stickers. :shock:
    A 4.2 lb bag of Ling Ling frozen pot stickers at Costco runs about $13.00,IIRC.
  • Post #5 - October 22nd, 2018, 6:46 pm
    Post #5 - October 22nd, 2018, 6:46 pm Post #5 - October 22nd, 2018, 6:46 pm
    It works for me. I subscribe to the web site and find many recipes that I like and make more than once
  • Post #6 - October 22nd, 2018, 7:46 pm
    Post #6 - October 22nd, 2018, 7:46 pm Post #6 - October 22nd, 2018, 7:46 pm
    I also like to spend Saturdays watching cooking shows on all the PBS channels, but America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country, not so much anymore. I wouldn't say I was ever a big Chris Kimball fan, but I find I just don't enjoy the shows as much without him. I sometimes find them irritating. I'll usually pick another cooking show over ATK/CC, which is a change for me from a few years ago.

That said, I'm with lougord on the website: it's worth it to me to maintain my subscription, and I consult it regularly.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #7 - October 22nd, 2018, 8:47 pm
    Post #7 - October 22nd, 2018, 8:47 pm Post #7 - October 22nd, 2018, 8:47 pm
    Not quibbling with your assessment of the recipes, but the website subscription to Cooks Illustrated is $34.95 a year. I think their most expensive plan is $5/month.
  • Post #8 - October 22nd, 2018, 9:11 pm
    Post #8 - October 22nd, 2018, 9:11 pm Post #8 - October 22nd, 2018, 9:11 pm
    gastro gnome wrote:Not quibbling with your assessment of the recipes, but the website subscription to Cooks Illustrated is $34.95 a year. I think their most expensive plan is $5/month.

Ah, yes. It's the ATK online cooking school, without Instructor Access, that's $19.95/month ($39.95 with Instructor Access). Sorry for the confusion.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #9 - October 23rd, 2018, 7:12 am
    Post #9 - October 23rd, 2018, 7:12 am Post #9 - October 23rd, 2018, 7:12 am
    I’ve never been a fan of America’s Test Kitchen and Kimball.
    They re-package what is already common knowledge and thier investigations are often simplistic.
    It appears America’s Test Kitchen does not have a current good relationship with Kimball!
    https://whywearesuingchristopherkimball.com
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/01/dini ... mball.html
  • Post #10 - October 23rd, 2018, 5:31 pm
    Post #10 - October 23rd, 2018, 5:31 pm Post #10 - October 23rd, 2018, 5:31 pm
    Hi- Since Christopher left the program, I don't watch it nearly as much as I did. I do love their equipment and food reviews. I've had to replace some of my kitchen stuff in the last few years, and all of the stuff I have replaced has come from recommendations from ATK. All of the recommendations have been fantastic. I have gotten a new Rosie strainer that is going to last year for years. I have also gotten a new muffin pan, saute pan, hand grater, and stock pot, and I have been happy with them all.

I have been subscribing to Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country for the past year. I got one year subscriptions from Discount magazine for $4.95 each. I love CI, and will renew my subscription if I can get another deal like that, but CC I am less happy with. CC is geared towards those people that are into Taste of Home and Pioneer Woman. Most of their recipes are comfort food based, and I am not into that. I don't think I will renew my subscription to CC. For the latest issue of CI they told you how to roast veggies. I had to go home to Michigan last week, and last Friday my two Sisters and I roasted lots of veggies following their advice, and the veggies were wonderful.

BTW- I get emails from ATK on a regular basis, and I got an email last week from them about a $.99 special going on for the cooking school. You can participate in as many classes as you want for a month for $.99. The deal is still going on. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #11 - April 4th, 2020, 6:53 pm
    Post #11 - April 4th, 2020, 6:53 pm Post #11 - April 4th, 2020, 6:53 pm
    I just got an email from ATK that they are having a sale on all of their cookbooks. All of their cookbooks are currently $19.99 or less.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more