LTH Home

Mango Lassi

Mango Lassi
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Mango Lassi

Post #1 - March 14th, 2018, 9:07 am
    Post #1 - March 14th, 2018, 9:07 am Post #1 - March 14th, 2018, 9:07 am
    Easy, healthy, delicious. Key is unsweetened mango pulp and palm sugar. Many variations, good starting point is the mango lassi on Serious Eats.

I tripled the water component in the palm sugar simple syrup, amped up the lime and added a whisper of cayenne. Patel Brothers on Devon has both good quality palm sugar and unsweetened mango plup.

MangoLassi1.jpg Mango Lassi

Mango Lassi, Count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #2 - March 14th, 2018, 9:58 am
    Post #2 - March 14th, 2018, 9:58 am Post #2 - March 14th, 2018, 9:58 am
    I have never had a lassi, and I'm almost surprised to say that since I eat Indian food so damn much. I'm gonna try one next time I go out for Indian, then make these at home. Doubt I'll run out to get palm sugar (another thing I've never had in the house...but, maybe, since we make mango with sticky rice a lot when mangos are in season.) I can see subbing the buttermilk for coconut milk at our house, tho. Sounds like coconut flavor would make sense in these. Thanks. Mr Wiv.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #3 - March 14th, 2018, 11:58 am
    Post #3 - March 14th, 2018, 11:58 am Post #3 - March 14th, 2018, 11:58 am
    Thanks for the recipe tips. I've tried to duplicate the mango lassis I recently had in India but was not thrilled with the results.

Note that while mango seems to be the one variation served here, in India I had pineapple and banana lassis, as well as what they call salt lassi, which tasted pretty much like you'd expect (not my favorite).
  • Post #4 - March 14th, 2018, 7:42 pm
    Post #4 - March 14th, 2018, 7:42 pm Post #4 - March 14th, 2018, 7:42 pm
    seebee wrote:Doubt I'll run out to get palm sugar (another thing I've never had in the house...

Palm sugar is subtle, hint of caramel, think clean flavored light brown sugar with depth. Sweet without succumbing to sugar overload. There are a dizzying number of types, styles and ways to use palm sugar, in this instance simple syrup incorporates easily and keeps well.
    seebee wrote:Sounds like coconut flavor would make sense in these. .

Mango lassi, and lassi in general, seem to be infinitely variable, adaptable and generally delicious, coconut milk is on my list of soon-try.

Jonah wrote:Note that while mango seems to be the one variation served here, in India I had pineapple and banana lassis, as well as what they call salt lassi, which tasted pretty much like you'd expect (not my favorite).

As mentioned above there seems infinite variations on a theme, though yogurt plus some type of milk seem to be starting points. Far as salt lassi, the few I've had have been quite salty, though Serious Eats has a recipe for Salted Mint Lassi that sounds tasty.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #5 - March 15th, 2018, 7:07 am
    Post #5 - March 15th, 2018, 7:07 am Post #5 - March 15th, 2018, 7:07 am
    LALA brand sells a Mango Yogurt, not the Smoothie, but a 16 oz size yogurt.
    Add a little ice, your spice of choice, into the blender.-Richard
  • Post #6 - March 15th, 2018, 8:00 am
    Post #6 - March 15th, 2018, 8:00 am Post #6 - March 15th, 2018, 8:00 am
    budrichard wrote:Add a little ice, your spice of choice, into the blender.-Richard
    Lassi are typically hand blended*, smoothies blended for even consistency. I quite like the occasional 'glob' of full fat yogurt that comes from hand blending, actually shaking** a 64/oz pour-able container, and the bits of mango plup sticking to the ice. I'd rather control the amount of sugar as well. A quick google suggests with smoothies fruit is the star, lassi yogurt.

Not that the above doesn't sound tasty and convenient, but I'm a bit surprised its coming from someone who flies to Alaska wades in the confluence of river and ocean, hand catches salmon, butchers on-site while fighting off bears with a hand forged Bowie knife, smelts the tin for cans, water-baths the salmon in an iron pot made from the rail of a ship in which his ancestors sailed to the new world just to make salmon cakes. ;)

*Fresh fruit is blended prior to incorporating with other ingredients.
    **Lassi are infinitely variable, long as yogurt is the main ingredient anything goes including whisk, blender, shaker.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #7 - March 15th, 2018, 9:20 am
    Post #7 - March 15th, 2018, 9:20 am Post #7 - March 15th, 2018, 9:20 am
    G Wiv wrote: his ancestors sailed to the new world just to make salmon cakes.

:shock:
    :lol:
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more