LTH Home

Salsa by the pint?

Salsa by the pint?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Salsa by the pint?

    Post #1 - January 24th, 2018, 8:51 pm
    Post #1 - January 24th, 2018, 8:51 pm Post #1 - January 24th, 2018, 8:51 pm
    Hey everyone,

    Looking for a suggestion on where I could buy salsa by the pint in a few varieties. I've got my spots back in Cincinnati, but I haven't searched up here yet and I'm in a bit of a time crunch.

    Degree of difficulty - no car/must use public transportation (bus/L) to get to and from.

    Thanks in advance for the help!
  • Post #2 - January 24th, 2018, 9:02 pm
    Post #2 - January 24th, 2018, 9:02 pm Post #2 - January 24th, 2018, 9:02 pm
    If you're up on the far north side of Chicago, Morelia supermarket has a bunch of different tasty salsas. 7300 N Western
  • Post #3 - January 24th, 2018, 11:00 pm
    Post #3 - January 24th, 2018, 11:00 pm Post #3 - January 24th, 2018, 11:00 pm
    Independent Mexican and Hispanic grocery stores might have some as well as the grocery store listed above.Also ask at Mexican restaurant's.Some of them might sell you some.
  • Post #4 - January 24th, 2018, 11:25 pm
    Post #4 - January 24th, 2018, 11:25 pm Post #4 - January 24th, 2018, 11:25 pm
    Pauly wrote:Independent Mexican and Hispanic grocery stores might have some as well as the grocery store listed above.


    This, including Harvestime on Lawrence and Edgewater Produce on Clark.
  • Post #5 - January 25th, 2018, 12:29 am
    Post #5 - January 25th, 2018, 12:29 am Post #5 - January 25th, 2018, 12:29 am
    I happen to live in Edgewater! I'll check those spots out. Thanks!
  • Post #6 - January 25th, 2018, 3:53 am
    Post #6 - January 25th, 2018, 3:53 am Post #6 - January 25th, 2018, 3:53 am
    I'm not quite sure how to get there via public transportation, but Fresh Farms in Niles has quite a selection.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #7 - January 25th, 2018, 8:24 am
    Post #7 - January 25th, 2018, 8:24 am Post #7 - January 25th, 2018, 8:24 am
    Fresh Farms in Niles is on the Pace 290 bus route, which terminates at the Howard Street El station. Map and timetable available at http://pacebus.com/pdf/full/FP-290.pdf
  • Post #8 - January 25th, 2018, 9:25 am
    Post #8 - January 25th, 2018, 9:25 am Post #8 - January 25th, 2018, 9:25 am
    I've found the ones that Garden Fresh makes to be pretty good -- especially their bright orange chile de arbol variety, a firey emulsion of chiles and oil.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #9 - January 25th, 2018, 10:34 am
    Post #9 - January 25th, 2018, 10:34 am Post #9 - January 25th, 2018, 10:34 am
    A friend regularly brings a huge container of salsa and chips from Tecalitlan Restaurant to parties. Good stuff.

    Tecalitlan Restaurant
    1841 W Chicago
    Chicago, IL
    -Mary
  • Post #10 - February 1st, 2018, 10:04 am
    Post #10 - February 1st, 2018, 10:04 am Post #10 - February 1st, 2018, 10:04 am
    Went to Edgewater Produce!

    The good - they had a green tomatillo salsa, chile de arbol, and pico for sale along the guac made in store.

    The bad - Getting home to test em out, I found that the green salsa was of a jelly/jello try consistency??? Like it was frozen and thawing? So odd. The pico was not made with ripe tomatoes, they were sad and mushy rendering the pico watery and bleh :[

    Surprise! The great! - chicken and beef empanadas were delicious with tons of flavor.
  • Post #11 - February 1st, 2018, 10:15 am
    Post #11 - February 1st, 2018, 10:15 am Post #11 - February 1st, 2018, 10:15 am
    Photoboothe wrote:Went to Edgewater Produce!

    The good - they had a green tomatillo salsa, chile de arbol, and pico for sale along the guac made in store.

    The bad - Getting home to test em out, I found that the green salsa was of a jelly/jello try consistency??? Like it was frozen and thawing? So odd. The pico was not made with ripe tomatoes, they were sad and mushy rendering the pico watery and bleh :[

    Surprise! The great! - chicken and beef empanadas were delicious with tons of flavor.


    Tomatillos are rich in pectin and will often make a nice jelly for you whether you want it or not. You can briefly microwave (defrost setting ideally) a jar without lid or your mixing bowl to loosen things up, or mix in some heated lime juice / hot water.
  • Post #12 - February 1st, 2018, 11:45 pm
    Post #12 - February 1st, 2018, 11:45 pm Post #12 - February 1st, 2018, 11:45 pm
    Santander wrote:
    Photoboothe wrote:Went to Edgewater Produce!

    The good - they had a green tomatillo salsa, chile de arbol, and pico for sale along the guac made in store.

    The bad - Getting home to test em out, I found that the green salsa was of a jelly/jello try consistency??? Like it was frozen and thawing? So odd. The pico was not made with ripe tomatoes, they were sad and mushy rendering the pico watery and bleh :[

    Surprise! The great! - chicken and beef empanadas were delicious with tons of flavor.


    Tomatillos are rich in pectin and will often make a nice jelly for you whether you want it or not. You can briefly microwave (defrost setting ideally) a jar without lid or your mixing bowl to loosen things up, or mix in some heated lime juice / hot water.


    Learn something new every day! Thanks for letting me know that's a completely normal thing.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more