LTH Home

The Impossible Burger

The Impossible Burger
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • The Impossible Burger

    Post #1 - July 14th, 2017, 8:29 pm
    Post #1 - July 14th, 2017, 8:29 pm Post #1 - July 14th, 2017, 8:29 pm
    Birthday dinner before Bridget Everett at Joe's Pub Tuesday and our friends went for The Impossible Burger at Saxon and Parole(their version comes with sherry-reduction onions, wild mushrooms, and a light truffle creme). And, fuck me if that isn't an amazing burger(meaty, juicy, texturally-super close), that T and I will return for, hopefully with Danielle Tyler of Sister Midnight in tow.

    https://www.sistermidnightnewyork.com

    https://www.impossiblefoods.com/burger/

    We did not go to Saxon and Parole for that burger, btw. I didn't even know it existed(though apparently it was a big deal just awhile back), in fact I had the dry-aged Saxon burger and bone marrow béarnaise, which was a great upcharge
    And, Saxon and Parole is not a burger place, but with so much good sounding stuff on the menu, I liked the look of the very popular Saxon burger on other tables and went for it(just took the route of least resistance). Glad I did. Still, K gave me a taste of her Impossible Burger and holy cow!
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie
  • Post #2 - March 5th, 2018, 11:15 pm
    Post #2 - March 5th, 2018, 11:15 pm Post #2 - March 5th, 2018, 11:15 pm
    Had my first one tonight, and I thought it was pretty damn good.
    Flavor - 1990's onion soup burger, but a good one - not too much onion soup mix.
    Texture - loose packed med rare ground beef mixed with liverwurst, but still very loosely packed. Not FLAVOR of liverwurst in any way, but texture. It broke down easily after a few chews, and got a tiny bit grainy, but not like bad, DRY, grainy. If you've never had one, you might think it's weird, but in a good way. It was weird in that it was pretty "meaty." I was not expecting it to be so freakin meat like. This isn't a veggie patty type veggie burger, this is a straight up meat substitute. This one came from Lavergne's Tavern in Berwyn:

    First glance:
    Image

    Closer inspection:
    Image

    Hopefully this doesn't skeeve you out, but...is that a pinkish hue?
    Image

    http://lavergnes.com/

    https://www.impossiblefoods.com/burger/
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #3 - March 6th, 2018, 1:30 pm
    Post #3 - March 6th, 2018, 1:30 pm Post #3 - March 6th, 2018, 1:30 pm
    Saxon and Parole's take is even redder. Yes, it is weird in a how weird is this and is it just being weird for weird's sake? Or, is this actually tasty?
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie
  • Post #4 - March 6th, 2018, 9:35 pm
    Post #4 - March 6th, 2018, 9:35 pm Post #4 - March 6th, 2018, 9:35 pm
    It was actually VERY tasty, and unless I read something that says it's got some not so great stuff going on, I'll order them on the regular, and not really miss a bloody burger too much. I can then order dessert mildly guilt free. I'd HIGHLY suggest you try one if you are even a lil bit interested. Go ahead and read up on them. This is not like a veggie burger type burger substitute. It's not like a seitan type meat substitute. This is a new kind of meat substitute altogether. It is pretty damn close to meat in an eerie way. It's not weird like a boca burger or weird like the dryness and veggieness of a morningstar farm type of thing AT ALL. This is a meat substitute like you've never come across. Seriously read up, do a quick search. And again, it was tasty enough that I'd have absolutely no issue ordering one again. I'd assume that the vegetarians that do not like the taste and texture of meat will NOT like this product.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #5 - March 12th, 2018, 7:57 pm
    Post #5 - March 12th, 2018, 7:57 pm Post #5 - March 12th, 2018, 7:57 pm
    I'm not addicted or anything, but the place by me that sells these shits also offers kids' meals for free on Mondays, plus a decent beer list so...had another one tonight. I like these things. Not in like a, "best burger ever" kind of way, but more of a "this is pretty damn good, AND I don't have to cook, AND, apparently it's a decent thing to eat" kinda way. I'ma still eat cows, porks, and birds and other things that can't get away quick enough, and their babies, but I don't have anything bad to say about these Impossible Burgers.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #6 - March 12th, 2018, 10:32 pm
    Post #6 - March 12th, 2018, 10:32 pm Post #6 - March 12th, 2018, 10:32 pm
    I had one at Umami burger about three or four months ago and, I have to say, I was impressed. Did it taste like meat? Well, I wouldn't have trouble figuring out the beef burger from the fake burger in a blind taste test, but if somebody served me this and I wasn't paying attention, I would not have noticed that it was a vegetarian burger. I really don't mean to be damning it with faint praise -- it really was good, the closest to meat that I've tasted so far, and I would have it again. Darn, this thread is making me crave one.
  • Post #7 - March 13th, 2018, 9:16 am
    Post #7 - March 13th, 2018, 9:16 am Post #7 - March 13th, 2018, 9:16 am
    We were curious so tried an Impossible burger a few weeks ago at Maillard Tavern (the new spot from the Piccolo Sogno team), side by side with a Classic beef burger. Thought the flavor compared very favorably, texture was slightly different (softer and less of a crust). Although not mentioned on the menu, we asked and were told they automatically sub out the usual duck fat fries for veggie-friendly fries with this burger.
  • Post #8 - March 18th, 2018, 8:37 pm
    Post #8 - March 18th, 2018, 8:37 pm Post #8 - March 18th, 2018, 8:37 pm
    Well, I hate to break up the love party . . . but I was not impressed. I also had mine at Umami Burger. I really didn't think there was a beef flavor and I thought there was a bit of an off flavor. And I couldn't get by the mushy texture.

    I'd say there are some vegetable burgers out there that, while not beefy tasting, taste much better. But obviously, there are those who disagree with me.

    Image

    Image
    I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted, cured meats. (Seinfeld)

    Twitter: brbinchicago
  • Post #9 - March 18th, 2018, 9:18 pm
    Post #9 - March 18th, 2018, 9:18 pm Post #9 - March 18th, 2018, 9:18 pm
    I tried one at M burger.It wasn't bad,the way M burger cooked it kinda threw me off.They griddle cooked it like a Steak and Shake/Edzos burger so there was a sear on both sides and no reddish moisture inside.Oh,and it was $8.99 before tax so No.Rather get the double M burger or a single w fries if I'm paying $10.09 after tax.Might get a pack at Jewel and cook one myself if there is a coupon though.
  • Post #10 - March 18th, 2018, 9:28 pm
    Post #10 - March 18th, 2018, 9:28 pm Post #10 - March 18th, 2018, 9:28 pm
    Pauly wrote:I tried one at M burger.It wasn't bad,the way M burger cooked it kinda threw me off.They griddle cooked it like a Steak and Shake/Edzos burger so there was a sear on both sides and no reddish moisture inside.Oh,and it was $8.99 before tax so No.Rather get the double M burger or a single w fries if I'm paying $10.09 after tax.Might get a pack at Jewel and cook one myself if there is a coupon though.


    I'm having a little difficulty following this post, so forgive me. What do you mean by "get a pack at Jewel"? Is it available retail in its raw form? Or are you thinking of "Beyond Burger" maybe?
  • Post #11 - March 18th, 2018, 9:32 pm
    Post #11 - March 18th, 2018, 9:32 pm Post #11 - March 18th, 2018, 9:32 pm
    BR wrote:I'd say there are some vegetable burgers out there that, while not beefy tasting, taste much better.


    Which are these? I've been wanting to find meat alternatives for myself, and I don't hold a premium for it tasting like meat, or anything like that. I want it to taste good. I mean, I like most of the shit* Morning Star puts out, for reference.

    *colloquial "shit." It's good stuff.
  • Post #12 - March 18th, 2018, 9:46 pm
    Post #12 - March 18th, 2018, 9:46 pm Post #12 - March 18th, 2018, 9:46 pm
    Binko wrote:
    BR wrote:I'd say there are some vegetable burgers out there that, while not beefy tasting, taste much better.


    Which are these? I've been wanting to find meat alternatives for myself, and I don't hold a premium for it tasting like meat, or anything like that. I want it to taste good. I mean, I like most of the shit* Morning Star puts out, for reference.

    *colloquial "shit." It's good stuff.


    I wish I could remember for sure where I had them, and I'll admit it's been quite some time. I might have even posted about 1 or 2 here. But it would've only been after reading a review of one as it's not something I'd otherwise go searching for.

    I think one was at Bandera but it's been a while and I can't be certain . . . and pretty sure I tasted a friend's at Bad Apple and thought it was surprisingly good.
    I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted, cured meats. (Seinfeld)

    Twitter: brbinchicago
  • Post #13 - March 18th, 2018, 10:28 pm
    Post #13 - March 18th, 2018, 10:28 pm Post #13 - March 18th, 2018, 10:28 pm
    I thought I saw on Impossible burgers website that the product was available at select grocers Jewel being one of them.Have not tried beyond burger as of yet.
  • Post #14 - March 19th, 2018, 3:23 am
    Post #14 - March 19th, 2018, 3:23 am Post #14 - March 19th, 2018, 3:23 am
    Had one recently at a Fatburger in Las Vegas. It wasn't offensive but it wasn't anything to write home about, either. I greatly prefer Beyond Burger, which some places in Chicagoland are currently serving. Well, actually, I greatly prefer beef but whatever.

    =R=
    There's a horse loose in a hospital -- JM

    I am not interested in how I would evaluate the Springbank in a blind tasting. Every spirit has its story, and I include it in my evaluation, just as I do with human beings. --Thad Vogler

    I'll be the tastiest pork cutlet bowl ever --Yuri Katsuki

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #15 - March 19th, 2018, 5:00 pm
    Post #15 - March 19th, 2018, 5:00 pm Post #15 - March 19th, 2018, 5:00 pm
    Pauly wrote:I thought I saw on Impossible burgers website that the product was available at select grocers Jewel being one of them.Have not tried beyond burger as of yet.


    No, I just checked the website, and it says Impossible Burger is not available retail. Only in restaurants. It also says retail sales are a few years off.

    I personally prefer it to Beyond Burger which has a certain, I dunno, fishiness to it? I know it's not fish, but that's the best I can describe the scent I detect. But Beyond Burger is pretty neat, too, as a meat substitute. Problem is, I've never been able to taste them side by side in the exact same preparation to form a more fair analysis of their flavors.

    Honestly, if the pricing were the same, I'd be fine going with the vegetarian burgers now. I think they're that good. (Or maybe more "not bad," but I'm seriously craving that Umami Impossible Burger right now.)
  • Post #16 - March 19th, 2018, 6:23 pm
    Post #16 - March 19th, 2018, 6:23 pm Post #16 - March 19th, 2018, 6:23 pm
    Okay Thanks.Maybe it was for beyond burger that I saw was available.Speaking of smell when I opened the wrapper and parchment at M burger the first thing I smelled was the smell of peanut.
  • Post #17 - March 19th, 2018, 6:40 pm
    Post #17 - March 19th, 2018, 6:40 pm Post #17 - March 19th, 2018, 6:40 pm
    Pauly wrote:Okay Thanks.Maybe it was for beyond burger that I saw was available.Speaking of smell when I opened the wrapper and parchment at M burger the first thing I smelled was the smell of peanut.


    Yeah, there was a bit of nuttiness to it, from what I remember. Also some potato/french fry kind of taste in the crust/sear.

    I think it is probably Beyond Burger you're thinking of retailwise. That seems to be the hot thing recently (as in last six months to a year) among vegetarian burgers, and I'm almost certain I've seen it a Jewel, but definitely at Mariano's and some other groceries. Sells for something like $6 for two 1/4 pound patties.
  • Post #18 - May 25th, 2018, 8:02 pm
    Post #18 - May 25th, 2018, 8:02 pm Post #18 - May 25th, 2018, 8:02 pm
    I brought Mom to White Castle to give an impossible burger a try.

    I informed Mom, can you believe there is no meat in this? No.

    I then pointed to the classic White Castle burger, do you believe there is meat in that? Nope.

    You have to get up early to fool my Mom!
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #19 - May 25th, 2018, 10:02 pm
    Post #19 - May 25th, 2018, 10:02 pm Post #19 - May 25th, 2018, 10:02 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:I brought Mom to White Castle to give an impossible burger a try.

    I informed Mom, can you believe there is no meat in this? No.

    I then pointed to the classic White Castle burger, do you believe there is meat in that? Nope.

    You have to get up early to fool my Mom!


    I love my White Castle sliders, but my summary of my White Castle Impossible Burger experience to friends was pretty much that it resembled a traditional hamburger more than than a White Castle slider does.

    I had those things a couple times since, and I do like them quite a bit, but they don't quite scratch the itch for White Castle (when you want that oniony steam-grilled burger goodness.) And they are quite filling, at 300 calories a pop. Two filled me right up. What I found somewhat amusing is that in one of the in-restaurant posters advertising the Impossible Burger, there's a "make it a meal" suggestion to add a regular White Castle slider and a drink to it, which seemed odd to me to market a vegetarian burger along with its carnivore-friendly cousin.
  • Post #20 - May 25th, 2018, 10:22 pm
    Post #20 - May 25th, 2018, 10:22 pm Post #20 - May 25th, 2018, 10:22 pm
    What would be interesting for a true side-by-side comparison: prepare the impossible burger in the very same style as a slider.

    Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #21 - May 26th, 2018, 8:15 am
    Post #21 - May 26th, 2018, 8:15 am Post #21 - May 26th, 2018, 8:15 am
    Cathy2 wrote:What would be interesting for a true side-by-side comparison: prepare the impossible burger in the very same style as a slider.

    Regards,
    Cathy2


    I'm curious if that's even practical, given the thinness and texture of the slider. The Impossible Burger is a bit crumbly in the way a good, loosely packed burger is, and I suspect if it's not fried on the flattop to sear the outside and form a crust, some of its "non-meatness" will be more apparent. Just a hunch. I've been tempted to ask if some employee would just sell me the raw "meat" to experiment with, but I suspect with cameras everywhere and corporate policy, I probably couldn't convince one to do so. :)
  • Post #22 - May 26th, 2018, 8:51 am
    Post #22 - May 26th, 2018, 8:51 am Post #22 - May 26th, 2018, 8:51 am
    Binko,

    Thanks for the explanation on the texture. That burger was crumbly and falling on my lap as I ate it. So it would not make a good slider, but it sure was good.

    Thanks!

    Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #23 - May 26th, 2018, 12:33 pm
    Post #23 - May 26th, 2018, 12:33 pm Post #23 - May 26th, 2018, 12:33 pm
    On 5/29, Houlihan's is giving away one Impossible Burger per customer. Apparently it is national hamburger day. Houlihan's just added it to their menu. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #24 - May 26th, 2018, 12:42 pm
    Post #24 - May 26th, 2018, 12:42 pm Post #24 - May 26th, 2018, 12:42 pm
    I just checked and there are only four Houlihan's left in the Chicago area. Wheaton, Park Ridge, Geneva, and I believe Algonquin.
  • Post #25 - May 26th, 2018, 9:27 pm
    Post #25 - May 26th, 2018, 9:27 pm Post #25 - May 26th, 2018, 9:27 pm
    Binko wrote:I personally prefer it to Beyond Burger which has a certain, I dunno, fishiness to it? I know it's not fish, but that's the best I can describe the scent I detect. But Beyond Burger is pretty neat, too, as a meat substitute. Problem is, I've never been able to taste them side by side in the exact same preparation to form a more fair analysis of their flavors.


    I had my first Beyond Burger last weekend, cooked at home on an electric griddle, and I think the smell/taste you're referring to is attributable to the fact that it's made with pea protein. Once I learned that, the pea-ness (heh) became very obvious to me. And dang, that smell of overcooked mashed-up peas really lingered in house for a couple days. Overall, though, I was pleased with the Beyond Burger, and I'll definitely end up eating one again as I work on phasing red meat out of my diet.
    "If this sauce was a person, I'd get naked and make love to it." - Sophia Petrillo, The Golden Girls
  • Post #26 - May 28th, 2018, 8:34 pm
    Post #26 - May 28th, 2018, 8:34 pm Post #26 - May 28th, 2018, 8:34 pm
    Sampled some impossible meatballs @ the NRA show and was shocked @ how much I liked them. Would have been hard put in a blind taste taste to tell the difference.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #27 - June 1st, 2018, 10:43 am
    Post #27 - June 1st, 2018, 10:43 am Post #27 - June 1st, 2018, 10:43 am
    Prolly have had 6 Impossibles vs 2 Beyonds.

    There is something in the cooking method that has to happen for the Impossibles to be REALLY good. I'd say I'm running at about 50% for having REALLY good Impossible Burgers. I haven't quite figured out any theory on what makes them REALLY good vs kinda crumbly, and odd, since I'm not the one cookin em. I think they need to be cooked longer, but that's a rudimentary guess at this point.

    BOTH Beyond Burgers I've had have been REALLY good. I've seen the Beyond Burger for sale at Mariano's in Bannockburn. Next time I see them anywhere, I'm buying them to make at home.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #28 - June 1st, 2018, 10:57 am
    Post #28 - June 1st, 2018, 10:57 am Post #28 - June 1st, 2018, 10:57 am
    Binko wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:What would be interesting for a true side-by-side comparison: prepare the impossible burger in the very same style as a slider.

    Regards,
    Cathy2


    I'm curious if that's even practical, given the thinness and texture of the slider. The Impossible Burger is a bit crumbly in the way a good, loosely packed burger is, and I suspect if it's not fried on the flattop to sear the outside and form a crust, some of its "non-meatness" will be more apparent. Just a hunch. I've been tempted to ask if some employee would just sell me the raw "meat" to experiment with, but I suspect with cameras everywhere and corporate policy, I probably couldn't convince one to do so. :)


    Binko -
    I might be able to convince my Impossible purveyor to sneak me some product. I would LOVE to be able to tell them my preferred way that they cook it. Some have been GREAT, with the crumbliness of a loosely packed burger we've both described here, and some have been oddly crumbly/mushy - tho still very good for a meatless burger sub.

    Still not sold that there's not gonna be some kind of Soylent Green type issue.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #29 - June 1st, 2018, 1:31 pm
    Post #29 - June 1st, 2018, 1:31 pm Post #29 - June 1st, 2018, 1:31 pm
    seebee wrote:
    Binko wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:What would be interesting for a true side-by-side comparison: prepare the impossible burger in the very same style as a slider.

    Regards,
    Cathy2


    I'm curious if that's even practical, given the thinness and texture of the slider. The Impossible Burger is a bit crumbly in the way a good, loosely packed burger is, and I suspect if it's not fried on the flattop to sear the outside and form a crust, some of its "non-meatness" will be more apparent. Just a hunch. I've been tempted to ask if some employee would just sell me the raw "meat" to experiment with, but I suspect with cameras everywhere and corporate policy, I probably couldn't convince one to do so. :)


    Binko -
    I might be able to convince my Impossible purveyor to sneak me some product. I would LOVE to be able to tell them my preferred way that they cook it. Some have been GREAT, with the crumbliness of a loosely packed burger we've both described here, and some have been oddly crumbly/mushy - tho still very good for a meatless burger sub.

    Still not sold that there's not gonna be some kind of Soylent Green type issue.


    I think I prefer Impossible Burger to Beyond Burger. I don't eat a lot of meat analogs( no flesh consumed since summer of '97)and I am not a huge lover of tofu on a day-to-day because it takes some work to be delicious, but I think they are great for cookouts and dealing with some stubborn "I need some meat" folks in applications like a lasagna. That said I still think I prefer the original vegan Boca Burger patty for a burger experience to Impossible Burger (perhaps my feelings would change if it was available to purchase) and for griddled, crumbly texture I think Whole Foods has the Gimmelean in a bulk packaging (they also make a sausage flavor)so you can use it as crumbles or shape and season for a patty that has more of those crispy edges/bits to it. That said, White Castle for the win when on the road with the Impossible Slider available.

    I do feel compelled to order these things when I see them in hopes that they just stay on the menu.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

    Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #30 - June 1st, 2018, 2:12 pm
    Post #30 - June 1st, 2018, 2:12 pm Post #30 - June 1st, 2018, 2:12 pm
    pairs4life wrote:I do feel compelled to order these things when I see them in hopes that they just stay on the menu.

    White Castle has a history of offering intriguing temporary offerings. Just before the Impossible Burger roll out, they were offering a slider with ghost peppers. Around Thanksgiving and Christmas, they offer sweet potato waffles, turkey burgers and such.

    This is a here today and gone sometime soon. I did like the opportunity to try this for a mere $2.

    Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more