Post #31 - April 11th, 2017, 9:10 pm Post #31 - April 11th, 2017, 9:10 pm
    "Part of me says, 'Turn it.' And part of me says, 'Marco, it's too soon.'"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ_xOFh9Bv4

#whoreforknorr
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #32 - April 12th, 2017, 7:33 am
    Post #32 - April 12th, 2017, 7:33 am Post #32 - April 12th, 2017, 7:33 am
    Nope: "Too late, Marco" methinks, "too late."

And no Marco, you do NOT want those singed bits! No colour on potatoes allowed.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #33 - April 12th, 2017, 9:05 am
    Post #33 - April 12th, 2017, 9:05 am Post #33 - April 12th, 2017, 9:05 am
    Geo wrote:Nope: "Too late, Marco" methinks, "too late."

And no Marco, you do NOT want those singed bits! No colour on potatoes allowed.

Geo

White is frequently worth listening to, but my god, you're right on both those counts, and I can't abide adding Knorr granules.

He added hot potatoes/onions directly into eggs "to get some heat into the eggs" before putting in the pan, but my practice is usually to let the potatoes/onions cool just a little before adding to the eggs. This is not the traditional way, but it made sense to me. Now, I'm wondering if maybe White (and tradition) is right that hot potatoes/onions should, indeed, be added to eggs.
  • Post #34 - April 12th, 2017, 9:26 am
    Post #34 - April 12th, 2017, 9:26 am Post #34 - April 12th, 2017, 9:26 am
    I'm with him on the 'adding-while-hot' Hammond--I learned that somewhere along the line, and from someone who knew, IIRC. I think what it does is makes the temp differential between the top+center of the mass less, relative to the bottom/pan interface temp, which makes cooking more uniform. Just a WAG, but that's the best I can do.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #35 - April 12th, 2017, 11:05 am
    Post #35 - April 12th, 2017, 11:05 am Post #35 - April 12th, 2017, 11:05 am
    Geo wrote:I'm with him on the 'adding-while-hot' Hammond--I learned that somewhere along the line, and from someone who knew, IIRC. I think what it does is makes the temp differential between the top+center of the mass less, relative to the bottom/pan interface temp, which makes cooking more uniform. Just a WAG, but that's the best I can do.

Geo

That seems reasonable, and as it is "the way it's done," I'm going to go that route.

One thing I can't bring myself to do is to get the pan "blazing hot" before adding the potato/onion/egg mixture; I get it medium hot so that light browning occurs, but the last thing I want is the smell of burnt egg in the air (a scent I find particularly abhorrent).
  • Post #36 - April 12th, 2017, 1:03 pm
    Post #36 - April 12th, 2017, 1:03 pm Post #36 - April 12th, 2017, 1:03 pm
    I agree--I can't think of a single reason why that would be desirable. Plus, as you note: stinky!!
    Geo
  • Post #37 - September 18th, 2017, 1:34 pm
    Post #37 - September 18th, 2017, 1:34 pm Post #37 - September 18th, 2017, 1:34 pm
    David Hammond wrote:"Part of me says, 'Turn it.' And part of me says, 'Marco, it's too soon.'"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ_xOFh9Bv4

#whoreforknorr

This video has been removed from YouTube. If I were MP White, I would have petitioned to have it removed and destroyed.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more